Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2016
    Options

KB870,

Thanks for the caution on raw broccoli and cruciferous veggies. It is true. My sister developed a thyroid problem from eating too much broccoli.

I was also being careful with what i eat before, knowing that I have a long family history of cancer. The thing is we cannot really pinpoint exactly what causes or triggers our cancers. Aside from veggies,I have been eating fresh chickens and eggs a lot before my bc. I also eat live fresh shrimps and tilapia fish which i thought are good. I eat only very small portions of red meat. But i have read from the internet and watched on tv health shows with professional doctors and researchers that these foods i mentioned might have higher carcinogens in them because of the chemicals and antibiotics that were being fed to them. So now that i have bc, i am being more cautious about what I eat.

My BS and MO both do not believe in avoiding red meat and dairy foods causing cancers. They are even recommending that i eat those to get more protein and amino acids which they say are important for cell regeneration. But to my mind, what about all those carcinogens in them? My doctors say that there is no concrete evidence that shows meat and dairy foods contain enough carcinogens to cause cancers.

The naturopathologist i consulted says otherwise. He says that all meat and dairies have very high probabilities of containing carcinogens and thus affect our cells in a molecular way that cause gene mutations and cancers thereafter.

So, me as a cancer patient has to decide between conventional/traditional medicine and natural/holistic/alternative approach. One could end up being paranoid or die of malnutrition or hunger if you strictly follow just one of them. So many do's and dont's for both sides.

I chose the complementary/integrative approach in support to conventional medicine. I chose to follow my BS/MO when it comes to chemo/meds but i also try to eat organic (grass-fed beef, organic chicken and eggs included) and more alkaline foods aside from having daily regular but gentle exercises and meditation to boost my immune system. I am also planning to take turmeric/curcumin and omega 3 flaxseed oil right after my chemo. My MO already prescribed phospolipids, iron, calcium and Vitamin D & B12 supplements this week.

This is the path i am taking for my cancer journey. We all have to decide what we think are best for our own bodies.

Good luck to all of us.

Gina

• Twinsmawmaw
    Twinsmawmaw Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hello ladies, my first dose of chemo was 11/29/16.it as red devil and cyton. Well I wound up in the hospital with o.4 white cells and hemoglobin 7.7. Now I a changing to taxater and cytoxin. AnyoNE had major complications with this combination?

Thanks

• Carolg516
    Carolg516 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2016
    Options

I had 2nd treatment 12/15. After both, I got mouth sore inside bottom lip. But appetite and taste still good. Enjoyed great meals Christmas eve and day.

Just one present I hoped wouldn't get: Christmas eve my hair started falling out. Had to wear scarf while cooking!

Merry Christmas everyone.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited December 2016
    Options

I had my first chemo on Dec 8th and my next one will be Dec 29th.  I still have my hair, it is just a lot thinner.  My scalp really hurts though, has anyone else have this.  I plan on asking the nurse if this is normal. 

• Carolg516
    Carolg516 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2016
    Options

my 2nd treatment was 12/15 and I felt good on Christmas eve and day to shop and cook a big meal for the 3 of us...

then today I woke up with so much energy, I cant stop talking and doing things. its like I'm manic.

anyone feel this way?

• chickensandgoats
    chickensandgoats Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2016
    Options

Mistyeyes - Yes, my head felt tender once my hair starting falling out. There were times I would describe it as a burning sensation. Once my hair was out this side effect went away.

Yes, I completely agree about the steroids. They give me lots of energy but keep me up all night. And I also agree about starving! I have to watch what I eat because I am hungry the whole time I am taking the steroids! Most of the S/Es I've discussed with my doctor have been related to the steroids and not the chemo. I'm usually glad to see those three days go by quickly.

• BCS2016
    BCS2016 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi ladies. I have been keeping up with everyone's posts but this is my first! I have my second treatment (TCH) on 12/29. Port went in day before thanksgiving and was much more painful than I anticipated. That part passed quickly though. I tolerated the first treatment very well with day 4 being the worst - shoulder and neck pain plus mild flu like symptoms. Mild nausea on days 6-7.

Hair started to come out on Christmas Eve (day 17) but isn't noticeable yet. I have my buzz cut and wig styling scheduled for Weds so hoping it hangs on till then. The hair loss is absolutely the hardest part for me to handle so far. The rational part of my brain knows that this is cosmetic and temporary but... I think the hardest part is the loss of privacy (looking like a cancer patient). I am working and have two teenagers so will try to wear the wig as much as possible.

I'm also using the Bryan Joseph gel. I still have eyebrows and lashes. My MO told me my regimen doesn't usually cause eyebrow loss. We'll see.

I'm still not exercising much because my incision opened a bit after surgery (7 weeks post) and I needed more stitches which are still in. I think they expanded me too much too early but who knows.

I'm hoping for an uneventful second round this week. Kind of tired of well intentioned people telling me that I shouldn't expect to feel so good the second time around.

Happy holidays!

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2016
    Options

Welcome BCS2016!

I'm day 15 after my first treatment and my hair has been coming out for the past 2 days. My hairdresser is "on call" for when I am reading to shave it off. I don't feel ready yet although it's already thin and I'm combing it out a lot. My head is a bit sensitive. I totally agree with you on the hair thing. I find it most annoying because there is no way to hide from being a cancer patient. I feel like I could otherwise fake my way through it! My wig arrived last week and I like it but still feel like I will be self conscious about it. Ugh! I want to try to embrace and focus on many other things but it's tough. I am so thankful to get through the holidays with goodenergy and a healthy appetite. I am happy that my first round was very manageable and gives me hope that I can get through this! We will get through this! Fingers crossed that second round is uneventful. My second is Jan 4th.

• argynis
    argynis Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2016
    Options

Any ladies on TCH (+P) that can give me advice on how to deal with diarrhea and stomach cramping? It started on day 3 and is still ongoing on day 8, although getting a little better.

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2016
    Options

argynis, I'm on the same regimen as you (started Dec 5) and had the same issues. Turns out the cramping was from terrible gas, and I've found that walking helped relieve some of that. If you go out for a walk and find yourself burping the whole time, that's a good thing! Less trouble in the gut later that night. Also, probiotic anything, from sauerkraut and pickles to probiotic drinks like kefir and yogurt. Replace the good gut bacteria.

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm also on TCH and had a lot of the gut problems. I found that taking Gas-X before meals and then Immodium for the diarrhea helped a lot. Also I've been eating Greek yogurt every day - probiotics plus good source of protein.

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2016
    Options

I have my 2nd treatment tomorrow. I'm less nervous than with my first one since I know what to expect, but in the last few days, I've finally been feeling totally normal and like myself again. Food tastes good again, no metallic taste to my water, no fatigue or GI issues - life has been good! And now I have to go through all the cruddy stuff again and then 4 more times after tomorrow - ugh! I'm just glad I had a fun and happy Christmas with my family and enjoyed all the good food and treats - and even some wine.

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi Everyone, I've been catching up with your chats. I started chemo in November but will have 2 in December and another in Jan. so thought I'd join you and thought maybe I'm able to help those who are a couple weeks behind me. I am using Penguin Cold Caps during this roller coaster ride. Tomorrow is infusion #3, which I heard knocks you down a little harder. I'm already at the point I'm feeling fatigued easier. Three weeks ago I was running 2.5 miles straight. Now I'm happy to run 2 minutes before walking again. My legs feel so fatigued!! My heart pounds just doing a flight of steps. But I know movement is necessary and I trudge through. Because that's what we do now, right? Every week that passes, I realize how strong I really am. I know BC is a cloud that covers all of us but it's truly amazing how many life lessons that have been woven into this adventure. We will all come out the other side a better person to ourselves, as well as to others. I'm glad we have each other to help pull ourselves along.

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am happy to hear so much feedback and discussion here. It's what is going to get through me this. Friday is my second infusion. I'm starting to get more nervous for slme reason. I'm scared it will be worse and I'm worried about losing my hair. Should i shave it before it starts falling out? Are people shaving their heads??

• chickensandgoats
    edited December 2016
    Options

I cut my hair short after my first treatment. It was originally about shoulder length and I left it one inch all over. Once it started falling out around day 16 or so I went ahead and shaved it with clippers. It was driving me crazy coming out in the shower. I have a couple of wigs, but I've only worn one during a trip to town. I have mostly used beanie hats when it is cold and scarfs for when it's a little warmer.

• Pamela23
    edited December 2016
    Options

Scaredashell07--Although I'm cold capping, I had a big shed around day 19 after I washed my hair. About 15% fell out at that time. When I went to my 2nd treatment 2 days later I asked my MO what to expect as far as more shedding and she said I shouldn't have had any hair. I am her first cold capper. My point is, depending on your regimen, you may start seeing hair loss this week. I'm every 3 weeks, TC.

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2016
    Options

scaredashell07,

I shaved my head on Christmas Eve. Honestly I was more devastated with the thought of losing my hair more than anything. I'm not a person who normally worried about my hair with 3 kids, but I have always been identified by my long blond hair. But...after shaving my head I felt relief. I had been dreading the "shave" but when it was done I felt at peace with the whole thing. I can't really explain why that is, maybe the fact I finally felt I had some control over something. I've had 2 treatments and my second went much better than the first with less side effects, i actually was able to control my nausea! May we all get through this journey and have a healthy 2017

• M0221
    M0221 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2016
    Options

My first infusion is tomorrow. I started Decadron today. Did any of you get a splitting headache and/or nausea with Decadron. Not sure if this is a side effect or I am catching a nasty bug that is going around. I do NOT want to delay my first infusion, but I also cannot imagine doing it with a stomach bug

• StayMom
    edited December 2016
    Options

The hair is painful. Physically my scalp is sensitive and I'm struggling with shaving because I feel like my 7 year old son will be freaked out. I have probably lost at least a third of my hair since it started 4 days ago. I feel like I want to hold on to it for as long as possible but it is a mess! Kudos to those of you brave enough to shave. I'll get there but don't feel ready quite yet! 2nd treatment in a week

• BCS2016
    edited December 2016
    Options

My second treatment is Thursday and I'm going tomorrow (weds) for the shave and wig styling. My hair is very thin but not noticeable to others yet. Scalp tingles on top and hurts. I put the shaving off as long as possible but the time has come. I hope the wig is reasonably comfortable!

GI issues- we are all so different. I had constipation for a week followed by 2 days of loose stools. This time I am going to try more fiber plus prune juice and only take the Miralax if really needed.

Is anyone else experiencing eye twitching? It's only in one eye.

• chickensandgoats
    edited December 2016
    Options

Heading out for my 3rd A/C treatment. I have an EKG first. Not sure what that is for. Then meet with my oncologist and finally the chemo. Fingers crossed for a good report and an easy treatment. Hoping to meet up with my husband and kids afterwards to go watch the movie Sing.

• StayMom
    edited December 2016
    Options

Good luck today Chickensandgoats! My family really enjoyed Sing :)

KB870 I'm with you. The hair sucks but if this is the worst than I'll take it. I would rather continue to feel good and be able to eat healthy. The hair will grow back!

• chickensandgoats
    edited December 2016
    Options

Well, it wasn't an EKG, but an echocardiogram. Anyway, I went to the cardiologist office at my medical group and was told that I actually needed to Ben at the hospital. No problem. The hospital is only ten minutes away. I get to the hospital and they have no record of the appt! The poor receptionist had to talk to about 5 people to figure out why I was there. I know it's just a mix up but it sure didn't help calm my frazzled nerves

• waterdog
    waterdog Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2016
    Options

Sorry. Just saw your post. Chemo is usually recommended if you are Her + and or node positive. I was both. There are other reasons too such as age and agressivenesses of the cancer. I followed my doctors recommendations. I am three years out and so far so good!

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2016
    Options

mistyeyes and BCS2016- I too have my 2nd TC treatment tomorrow Dec 29th as my first treatment was Dec 8th. Having the I don't want to go but want to get this over struggle today.

I am using the Dignicap system which is a stationary machine. They have me wet my hair comb with wide tooth comb straight back and they place the HEAVY cap on my head that is attached to the cooling machine. It is strapped real tight under my chin and covers my ears (can't hear the whole time I am in treatment). It is started a half hour before chemo, so while predrugs are given (I wear during all chemo bags then another 2 hours after....ugggh). At least, I do not have to coordinate dry ice and coolers and I don't need a team of people to help that I didn't have. To go to the ladies' room, I must have the nurse disconnect the head piece from the cooling machine and I have to hurry so it doesn't warm up too much. Ever tried to paper the toilet seat in a hurry? It always slides off lol.....At the cost of $325. per treatment (my Christmas present to my self from retirement savings), I sure hope the Dignicap system will save most of my hair. My first treatment was Dec 8 and today was my first Big shed. I am only the 2nd or 3rd person to try this at Park Ridge facility in Illinois. It isn't easy not washing my hair everyday and using free of anything shampoo and zero hair products and no blowdryer-----all this equals WILD hair for me! It will be worth it if I keep my hair.

Today, I took my pittie boys in for their nails. My groomer had just had her eyebrows tattooed and eyeliner. I must say my brows have thinned a great deal due to perimenopause......thinking that chemo may finish them off so this may be an option since I am so slow at using brown pencils etc...the woman who does it is a tattoo makeup artist who also does nipples for breast cancer survivors. She is located in St. Charles IL which is not far from me.

BCS2016 Yes, I am having eye twitching in my left eye.

Now, skin on my fingers is peeling terribly. I use gloves for cleaning dishes, baths and around the home with Lysol wipes. I apply OKeefe's hand repair it helps. Still have numbness in fingertips. At least the extreme itching stopped.

Hot flashes are annoying. I dress in layers. The peel off and put back on should count as my workout, however since it does not back to the treadmill I go.

Guilty of too much cookies over the holidays. I normally don't care for sugar treats have always liked salty chips crackers but since the metallic taste for some reason sugar tasted better to me. Now, I must get back to veggies healthy eating. Lately, only wanted toast, coffee and cookies......Not good :( As the metallic taste is going away it is easier to return to veggies.....but back to chemo tomorrow. At least my family is tired of the treats and we have thrown them out and filled fridge with fruit and veggies again.

I certainly dread the nausea, heartburn, burping, bloating and oh yes that ach all over flu feeling that will be coming after tomorrow :P

All I can think about is how I wish there was a promise that after this chemo that we would all be cancer free for the rest of our lives.......I could certainly take the treatments better knowing that. And of course a bigger wish is that we find a way to identify these genes and stop them before they create cancer in us!

Thinking of you all and wishing everyone the best! Take care!

• BCS2016
    edited December 2016
    Options

Summer 2016 - my twitching is also left eye. Comes and goes. I forgot to ask about this last appointment but it is very minor so not worried. I'm near you - my treatments are in Warrenville. Surgery and reconstruction at NW downtown.

I got the shave and wig today. Although the hair loss was not yet noticeable to others, my stylist said that I had lost quite a bit already. I had a small pity party on the way there. I have to say that I feel such a sense of relief that it is over with and I really do like my wig. Once my head was shaved, the tingling and pain stopped.

Now I'm off to take the steroid and prep for tomorrow's treatment. My teenage daughter is coming with me and is a little frightened. She stayed with me during the surgery so I assured her that this was much more tolerable than that.

• chickensandgoats
    edited December 2016
    Options

BCS2016 - Glad to read your great news about the bloodwork! Congrats on the shave. It is so hard, but I agree that it feels so much better once you get it done. Good luck tomorrow for you and your daughter! I am sure she is a great source of comfort to you!

• Pamela23
    edited December 2016
    Options

Summer2016--I'm intrigued by the dignicap system, wish they offered it at more facilities. I'm in Napervlle, so close to BCS2016 in Warrenville, but they don't offer it so I'm schlepping the dry ice and caps with us every treatment. So far so good but LOTS of work and I'm only 1/2 way done with treatments. There is a thread for cold cappers on this site if you are interested: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/... And I relate to the night sweats. They are getting worse as treatments progress.

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi Pamela23. I live in DeKalb and drive to Oncology Specialist in Park Ridge IL (long drive) because they are the only ones who have Dignicap in IL other than Cancer Treatment Centers in Zion IL. I couldn't use CTCA because they could not tell me how much of my chemo would be covered by Aetna Insurance and would Not put anything in writing when stating they would 'dicount' my out of pocket. With the cost of chemo, I had to go where most was covered by Aetna. I have enough out of pocket cost for chemo and doctors plus as everyone knows insurance does not cover Dignicap. I believe their are foundations to help those in need afford Dignicap----would love to see more of this!

Anyway, I was first with Delnor Hospital NW in Geneva IL----my oncologist did not believe in cold capping but told me that if I insisted I could do the Penguin Cold Cap on my own. Yet, warned me that he didn't think it was safe due to possible mets to scalp. I simply didn't have enough family here to help which left me looking for Dignicap. I felt that adding another person may help to keep Dignicap at Oncology Specialist. I understand the expense in developing this system, yet if they would lower the price with as many cancer patients there are today I am certain they will make a profit just a little slower.

I believe California has the most Dignicap system. I sure hope more come soon for all states!

Thanks for the cold cappers thread! I will read the post! Wishing you the best! I have heard great results with Penguin capping :)

Looking forward to the day all of our treatments are DONE!

BCS2016---I think it is the best to take your daughter with you. I believe it removes the mystery and unknown....and it is better than the surgery. My daughter had to help me with my BMX. She is older at 21 years and it was tough on her. She is the one who is able to stay up late so after my surgery my Mom, Dad and husband all went back to their hotel rooms and my daughter and sister helped through the night. With all my family returned to AR, I have my husband take me at 6:30 am to my 8:50am lab, follow up, chemo appointment which takes until approx. 4pm. We get home around 6pm. Which leaves my daughter to help me at night as well as help take care of our 3 dogs.----I actually had her with me from diagnosis through surgery and was part of decision making after researching. I wanted her to feel in control along with me. There have been fears and tears from her however I know overall it was a huge help in her dealing with my cancer and treatments! Of course it helped me too!  I hope it helps your daughter as well :)

Good luck everyone on their treatments tomorrow!

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2016
    Options

Wow, I am amazed how many of us are from Illinois.

I researched the cold cap systems but since I already have thin hair I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I hope it works out for all of you.

I got blood work done today and my white blood cell counts are back up. Yeah! This means the 4 shots of Granix last week worked. Red Blood Cells are still a little low but better than last week. I think this means I am clear to proceed with Chemo next Thursday.

Pamela23 - I am experiencing the same side effects as you mentioned. The fatigue is terrible. Even going grocery shopping leaves me drained.

Have a good New Years Ladies!