Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2017
    Options

SCGirl50 - glad you finished chemo!

I just had my one month post-chemo follow-up with my MO which included blood work. My liver counts are still high, so I have to have another blood test next week. I sure hope they come back down soon. I was hoping to have a drink this weekend to celebrate my birthday and for St. Paddy's Day. Guess I'll have to wait on that a bit longer. My MO is also calling in my RX for Tamoxifen. So, let the hot flashes continue. Is anyone else taking Tamoxifen yet? If so, what SE's are you having?

I am scheduled to start rads on Monday. I'm trying to gear up for the next phase....

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2017
    Options

SCGirl50 - Woohoo on finishing chemo!!

Summer2016- That's so funny we're opposites with taste. I have such a sweet tooth normally. On the plus side, I guess it's good to limit my sugar, but hate that I can't enjoy a few treats here and there - and especially fruit, I love fruit and usually eat a banana for breakfast, an apple with lunch, and grapes and/or berries throughout the day.

My neuropathy is better this time around and I think it's because MO lowered my taxotere dose. Still have some numbness and pain in my finger tips, but at least 50% better than last month when it was at its worse. So hopefully it will completely resolve itself when I'm done with treatment. I still only have the one nail that lifted, but 2 more look close to lifting. I'm just extra careful about keeping my hands and nails clean since infection under the nail is the biggest concern at this point. I really hope I don't lose them all together, but that's not seeming very promising at this point with still another treatment to go. :(

This week, the worst SE has been my eyes constantly watering and also nasal drip. Not too bad, mostly just annoying and I wake up with a sore throat from the post nasal drip all night.

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited March 2017
    Options

SCGIRL, Congrats. Your done. Yay. Good luck with rads.

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2017
    Options

ILSunrise--I just started my 4th week of rads and there hasn't been talk about hormone therapy yet. Are you suppose to take it during rads? From the rad thread, that's unusual. I'm actually going to ask if I can hold off on it for a few weeks so my body can recover from the past 6 months of cutting/poisoning/burning. I figure we are on it for 10 years, a few weeks should;t hurt, right? I have less estrogen flowing through me than I've had in years so I'm hoping it's OK with my MO.

• SCGirl50
    SCGirl50 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2017
    Options

Pamela23 I am actually starting rads about 3 weeks after last chemo. My RO wanted to wait 4 but I objected. She agreed to 3 since I had limited SE's from chemo. I am pushing these docs so I can get these darned TE's out of my body asap.

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2017
    Options

congrats SCGirl! Sounds like you are moving through everything so well. You will be done in no time!

Pamela, you are almost done too! Yay! Any hair, brows or lashes yet? I have a layer of fuzz on my head but it could fall out again I am sure! I will also be starting Tamoxifen but like you it will be at the end of everthing including after rads.

Jezikah glad the neuropathy has eased off a bit this time around. You must be heading to Vegas now!? Have fun!!

I have been doing pretty well on this second round of Taxotere. It actually seems better than the first round but prob because I was more prepared. Not too much pain and my mouth has been a bit better so far. Taste buds are leaving but it's not so dry. I think the worst has been the fatigue that hits late afternoon. Can't wait for my last treatment Mar 29 so I can move forward. I'll have a 4 week break until my axillary removal surgery so hopefully I can get some of myself back during that time!

So glad that we are all getting to the end of the chemo. Hope we can continue to check back on this thread. It's been so great having all of you through this. X

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

StayMom--I am 8 weeks PFC. Most of my eyelashes and half my brows exited about 3 weeks, day by day for a couple weeks, after the final chemo. I know have 5 bottom lashes on each eye and less than 10 upper ones. The exciting news is that I was looking in a 8x magnified mirror to pull 5 chin hairs that came out of nowhere--I mean, come on, I want 5 more lashes, not chin hairs!! Anyway, in the mirror I could see the tiniest eyelashes starting to sprout. I was so excited! I can't see them with the naked eye, but I'm happy they are there. Oh, and it's only on my right side of course! As far as hair growth, I cold capped but have 2 big bald patches on each side underneath. I assumed they were still bald but today i looked and saw the are about an inch long!! It's just that they are completely gray. Most of the other ladies that started in Nov are getting peach fuzz and they are saying the same thing, growing in gray. I read somewhere that the hair comes in a bit first and then the color does. I hope so!! You only have a couple more weeks!!

• StayMom
    edited March 2017
    Options

oh Pamela! Chin hairs really!? LOL Great news about the lashes and the hair on your head! Gray or not. I'll take it!! The sure thing for me is my underarm hair is coming back slowly. I have about 5 sprouts on each side. Very exciting! LOL

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2017
    Options

glad to hear about hair growing back. I'm thin on the eyelashes but still have my eyebrows. Strange oh well we shall see.

Good luck to all getting treatment this week !!

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2017
    Options

Had my last treatment today! I've cried tears of joy today! I ended up finishing with Abraxane since I had a reaction to Taxol, hoping the side effects are less, but I'm mentally in a different place knowing it was my last treatment. Now onto Rads. I'm so glad I've had this thread and incredible ladies to help me get through this journey! Best of luck to everyone facing Rads, surgery, and further treatment!

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

Irishmom--Congratualtions!!! See you in the rads forum! Hoping the next couple weeks are smooth sailing for you. It's easier to tolerate the SEs when you know it's your last time!

• Lordhelpmetoo
    Lordhelpmetoo Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2017
    Options

summer 2016,

Are you taking Effexor for sleep? I am taking Ativan for sleep. Dr wants to give me Prozac 20mg too. I want to sleep too. It's been 2 weeks

• StayMom
    edited March 2017
    Options

Congrats Irishmom! So glad it went well and that you are feeling good! My last is one week tomorrow and I can't wait. Bring it! Good luck with rads!

Lordhelpme I am also taking Ativan. I find it helps a lot but I try not to take it every night since it apparently won't work as well if you take it too often. My dr wants me off of it once I am finished treatments but that will be difficult since my mind goes to dark places at night and I can't imagine that will end.

Good luck to everyone finishing their last treatments this week and next.We did it!

• Hopfull2
    edited March 2017
    Options

Irish mom, congrats on finishing chemo.

I saw my oncologist today, 4weeks PFC. I'm starting tamoxifen. I start tomm. For 5years. I'm so not looking forward to that. I thought I can start at a A later time. Was hoping after reconstruction but nope he wants me to start asap. So let's see how these SE are.

Hugs everyone.

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yay! Irishmom so happy for you finishing your last chemo! Best of luck on Rads :)

Pamela23--How are your feet? Please tell me the neuropathy has left! I have days that after I exercise/walk for 2 miles I can not walk for the next 2 days. Also, I am still having what feels like pulling on my muscles in feet, legs, hands, arms and chest--as if they don't want to stretch.-----Concerned that this will not go away!!!

Hi Lordhelpmetoo! I am taking Effexor for severe hot flashes. I was 49 in Aug 2016 when diagnosed with BC. Had BMX Sep 2016 and started to notice hot flashes but then began chemo Dec 2016 and it really brought on the severe hot flashes every 20 mins all day all night followed by chills each time. The hot flashes were not allowing me to function normally. Since I am ER/PR + Effexor was my only option to calm the hot flashes. So far it has been a huge help, however I have to start Tamoxifen and I don't know if it will continue to help. Do I sleep now? Yes, as the HF were keeping me up all night they were so bad. Honestly, I don't know if Effexor helps with sleep in general.------I understand how you feel. I hadn't had more than a 20 minute nap for over 3 months before Effexor. I hope you find the right med to help you sleep!

Hopfull2----I start Tamoxifen tomorrow too. I am extremely worried about SE especially since I was told that my 4 rounds of chemo shouldn't cause me any SE and I was peppered with them! Still having bad neuropathy in feet and hands some days so painful I can't walk! I am trying to decide whether to take Tamoxifen at night or morning. I wanted to cut the pill in half to start, however I read on one of these boards that you aren't supposed to do that. Now, I wish I had asked for 10mg to start and work up to the 20mg...ugggh

Staymom---you are almost done...right there! Good luck next week finish strong!!!!

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

Summer & Hopfull--will you have radiation at some point or does the mastectomies not require them? I just started my 5th week of radiation and I know Tamoxifen is just around the corner. I scheduled an appt w/ my GYN for tomorrow. I told her I wanted to have a baseline measurement of my uterine lining so I can keep an eye on it while on the drug. They are going to do a Saline sonohysterogram which is an ultrasound procedure designed to look at the endometrial cavity and the endometrium. She'll take measurements to keep in my file. I don't even have an appt to discuss next steps yet but I'm going to ask for at least 4 weeks off to heal. I still have some SEs from chemo. I still can't even taste!! I tell distinguish between sweet/salty/bittter but no flavors. It's really annoying!

Summer--I only had neuropathy after round 3 for a few days, my toes & heels ended up peeling and I see that my big toenails are separating fro the beds. Other than that, my com plait has been a deep pain in my thighs and triceps which is getting better every week. Same feeling--like I'm tight and need to stretch. At least I'm not groaning from pain when I try to climb into bed which is a good sign of improvement.

• Hopfull2
    edited March 2017
    Options

Pamela23, what exactly is the measurement of the lining for.

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

One of the side effect sod Tamoxifen is thickening of the lining of the uterus which can lead to fibroids. I just found this forum: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topics...

My aunt who was in her late 40s eight years ago was on Tamoxifen and ended up with a hysterectomy because of all her problems. Just want to be proactive!

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Pamela23. Radiation was not necessary for me with BMX. You had a great idea with getting a baseline with gyno prior to Tamoxifen! I didn't think of that one. Good to know your neuropathy did not last. Unfortunately I am still having a horrible time with my hands and feet. The longer I walk the worse they are. Very painful....sure hope it leaves me!

• scaredashell07
    edited March 2017
    Options

congrats Irishmom. You did great and so happy you're done and moving on

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

Just got back from the GYN after having a baseline uterine check. They found a polyp in my lining. She's not concerned with it being cancerous but say tamoxifen can cause it to grow so want to have it removed after I'm done with radiation and she'll do a uterine biopsy while she's "up there" to make sure everything looks good before tamoxifen. She said she wishes doctors would request an US of the uterus before starting this drug because the drug will thicken the lining and cause polyps and cysts to form and if they had a baseline, they would have more info on the changes. Just FYI when you are at that point in treatment.

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ginkoleaf, I have also been surprised at the continued numbness in my face. Weird. And yes, it seems almost everyone loses their eyelashes and eyebrows after chemo. I finally just plucked out the last few old ones yesterday but thankfully there are fine new ones coming in!

• scaredashell07
    edited March 2017
    Options

Pamela - I will ask my doc about the uterine US. J am starting tamoxifen after rads in may.

Gingoleaf- I have my last infusion today and my eyelashes stared coming out last treatment 2 weeks ago. Doc said they grow back faster than hair

• Hopfull2
    edited March 2017
    Options

Pamela. Sorry about what you have. Ugh. Just one more thing to worry about. I see my PCP Tuesday. Gonna ask about that exam

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2017
    Options

Pamela23 - thanks for the hint about getting a baseline uterine check before starting Tamoxifen. I started rads on Monday and have my RX but have not started taking it yet. My MO said I could take it at the same time I start rads.

Has anyone had elevated ALT and AST in your blood tests which relate to liver function? Mine were high right before my 4th round of chemo, were higher a month after round 4 and then again last week. I am now scheduled for an ultra sound of my liver. Makes me nervous. Needless to say, after I got the lab work back, I decided not to start taking the Tamoxifen yet.

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ginko--that's exactly the timeline I had! I'm 9 weeks PFC and lost everything between 5-7 weeks. Started using castor oil on my brows/eyelashes night and morning for past 2 weeks and see growth!! Read that eyelashes have a 100 day cycle for regrowth.

ILSunrise--I had 1 round where the enzymes were elevated but my MO said the liver was being taxed from chemo all the drugs I was taking to manage the side effects. Glad they are being proactive if they've been elevated this long.

• scaredashell07
    edited March 2017
    Options

hello. What kind of testing will be done as a follow up to your treatment? My doc sajd rhey do bloodwork and breast MRI/mammo and US. I assumed for some reason that a PET scan would ve done. I had one before treatment began to insure no metastatic cancer but I assumed I would get something like that every year. I had heard that at one point somewhere

What has your doc said would be done as follow up?

• dcdrogers
    dcdrogers Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2017
    Options

@scaredash - that's a great question. I'll be getting my 6 and last treatment this Thursday and will have a follow-up with my MO next Wednesday. I'll be sure to ask how she plans to monitor me going forward. I'm opting for a double-mastectomy so I know that mammograms are out.

• Jezikah
    edited March 2017
    Options

I had my last round of taxotere/cytoplatin today! Woohoo! Not looking forward to the next 3 weeks of side effects, but excited to be done with this part of treatment. I'll still be going in every 3 weeks for herceptin until December, but that should be a breeze compared to the last 6 rounds.

I have 6 fingernails lifting and I sure hope they don't totally fall off. Doctor says just to be careful I don't accidentally tear/break them off - I guess that happens a lot. The nurses said some people tape the nails to keep them from breaking while the new nails grow out, so I may do that. Might look weird with all my fingernails taped, but better than the alternative, I suppose...

I'm SO looking forward to my hair growing back!

Scaredashell- I was told no more scans unless I have a specific complaint - enlarged lymph nodes, bone pain, headaches, etc. Reason being that a lot of scans turn up false positives and can be very costly. Also, by the time a scan picks anything up, you'd most likely already have the other symptoms of metastasis.

• Jezikah
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'll add that no scans were recommended because I had a BMX. I believe MRI and mammograms are recommended every year (6 months between the 2) if you've had a lumpectomy or only one breast removed.