Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited March 2017
    Options

I saw the BS today. My last chemo is 4/5. I'll have a repeat breast MRI the next week and am thinking lumpectomy. If that's what I end up doing then it sounds like mammograms every 6 months, then yearly.

I was told by my MO that other scans (CT/PET) are only done for suspicious symptoms or higher likelyhood of metastasis like multiple lymph nodes. Same deal - false readings and highly anxiety-provoking along with cost and risks of radiation

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited March 2017
    Options

Congratulations, Jezikah!

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited March 2017
    Options

hi scardsheel, I'm going on 5weeks since last chemo and saw my MO last week. He told me he won't do any scans unless we suspect something but that he will do tumor markers blood test every now and again.

Jezikah, congrats on last chemo. Hope your hair comes in soon.

Hugs

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited March 2017
    Options

Jezikah - I am about even with you. I had my last Chemo of TCHP on March 23rd now just have to go in for Herceptin through December. The Chemo did its job, it shrunk the tumor and now I go for a lumpectomy, the surgeon is waiting a month to let my body recover a little from the Chemo. After that I will have radiation. I am a little excited to see a end of this coming up for all of us. Let 2017 be our healing year, and 2018 we can get back to feeling energized and well!

I also have the leg pain and I hope that it goes away, I end up taking a pain pill to go shopping.

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited March 2017
    Options

my MO recommended a mammogram at 6 months which will be April 11 but I'm still doing radiation and my RO said no pressure on that breast for 3 months which is July. My annual is due at the end of Aug so he recommended doing it then. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I found out last week I have a polyp that has to be removed before starting tamoxifen and it's an outpatient surgery. SO tired of being poked and prodded and always 'healing' from something that's going on with my body

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yay, Jezikah!!! Huge Congrats on completing chemo :) May your side effects be few and leave quickly! As for the nails, mine are in horrible shape as well. They are thick and part of my index nail flaked off a layer yesterday.....yuck! All of mine have rugged ridges that are lifting and catching on everything ( they are all going to flake off layers). I sure hope your nails remain in tack. I believe I had mine in too much water during chemo and after (washing dishes and my hands---have germ phobia)

Pamela23---sorry you have to go through the polyp removal :( especially after all the tests and treatments you had recently. I am thinking of you and wishing you the best!

NotVeryBrave---Hang in there you are almost done!!! One more and goodbye chemo :)

Wishing us all wellness always!

• Hopfull2
    edited March 2017
    Options

I will be 5weeksPFC and started tamoxifen about almost a week ago still no menstrual period. Wonder how long it takes. I know our periods are a drag but I kind of want my period back. Helps me feel a bit more normal and youthful still. I don't want early menopause.

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hooray Jezikah!! Hope you glide through the next few weeks of side effects!

Hopfull--I pray everyday for 2 things--my tastebuds and my period. If I got those 2 things back, I wouldn't feel so 'broken'.

• Summer2016
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hopfull2----like you, I started tamoxifen last week. MO told me that chemo alone at my age (50) should put me in menopause, then said that if I do get my cycle back that we would have to discuss that (not sure what 'that' means...guess will find out next appointment which is my Survival Plan). The name, Survival Plan, alone scares me...perhaps it sounds good to others. Anyway------I'd much rather have my cycle than hot flashes (produced by chemo...really bad!) which now with Effexor and tamoxifen have become less frequent and more like warm flushes.

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2017
    Options

Congratulations Jezikah on your milestone

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I'm very excited to be done with the nasty stuff - 3 days post chemo and resting pretty comfortably. My taste buds are fading fast again and getting the constant gross chemo taste in my mouth. I'm also getting hot flashes like crazy. Night and day - it's terrible! I haven't had a real period since I started chemo, two days of spotting in earJanuary was the last time I had anything going on. I'm sure looking forward to hair, regular cycle, my tastebuds back and just feeling like myself again!!!

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2017
    Options

Congrats jezikah! Hope your SEs go away soon

I'm one with chemo!!! Yay! And now will have my radiation simulation next Tuesday. Should be the hardest part according to the RO. Hope everyone has successful reversal of any side effects. I'm looking forward to getting my hair back.

Thanks to everyone for making this group great! I for one truly appreciated coming here for advice and Being able to help others in any way.

I think we have lots to be proud of !!! Here's to a cancer free life ahead of us.

• midwest_laura
    midwest_laura Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello, Ladies.  I just had my final DD Taxol today.  Chemo is finally done.  I'm planning for the tough weekend of SE and fatigue that I will counteract with a new season of my favorite TV show to binge-watch on Netflix.  I'll either be napping or cuddled on the couch with DH. 

After that, I'm on to an ultrasound for the breast and a PET scan for the bone mets to see how we've done.  Hormone therapy is definitely in the future, but my MO wants to check the PET scan to determine the best option.  (Tamoxifin if things look stable.  Letrozole & Ibrance + Zometa if the bones are in bad shape.)

I feel like I am completing mile #1 of a marathon.  Glad to have it behind me, but the road ahead is so long.  Celebrating mile #1 doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment for me.  I'm feeling like a "glass half empty" kind of a gal these days.

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

Midwewst Laura--Hang in there! It's progress that matters, even if there's more ahead of you. You have every right to feel negative but please feel proud of yourself too. We are so much stronger than we think we are. Take it one day at a time. Get some rest, you deserve it! We are all here for you!!

Congrats Scaredashell! See you on the rads forum!

• Summer2016
    edited March 2017
    Options

scaredashell07----Huge Congrats on finishing your chemo and wishing you the best on Rads!!!

• midwest_laura
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement, Pamela.  I may throw myself a pity-party this weekend, but I'll be back on track by Monday morning and ready to positively focus on the next steps in my Tx plan. 

• Hopfull2
    edited March 2017
    Options

scaredshell and Midwest. , congrats to both of u on finishing. Hope your SE are not bad.

• Summer2016
    edited March 2017
    Options

MidwestLaura--- BC has a way of making all of us feel like a 'glass half empty' gal. In addition, I often feel like a ticking time bomb----it is in there perhaps in remission and for how long? None of us know what our futures hold, so here we are relying on our doctors, hoping that each step of treatment will bring us closer to remission or NED. I agree with Pamela23....moving forward is what is important and that you are doing! Will be thinking of you on the PET scan and hormone treatment plan. Keep us posted if you feel like sharing or chatting. HUGS!!!

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2017
    Options

hello lovely ladies! I have joined you in the "finished chemo club"! It feels great to be finished. I had my last Taxotere on Wed and will ride out the next few days. Now I prep for surgery April 26 (axillary noderemoval) and rads hopefully sometime in May. Getting there!!!

Congrats to all of us and I pray every day that we will never have to do this again! Xo

• Summer2016
    edited March 2017
    Options

Staymom----Congrats on being finished with chemo!!! Wishing you luck with surgery and rads :)

• Hopfull2
    edited March 2017
    Options

staymom, yay. Congrats. And good luck with surgery. To me that was a piece of cake compared to chemo.

• Pamela23
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hopfull2--EVERYTHING is a piece of cake compared to chemo, LOL!!! I actually appreciate the mundane things in my life now that I've gone through so much. Chemo changes everything!!

Congrats Staymom! The worst part is over. Hoping for minimal side effects for you this round. It helps to know it's your last ones!

• scaredashell07
    edited April 2017
    Options

Midwest Laura- I am thinking of you and hoping for a good scan and successful treatments.

Stay mom. Congrats and welcome to the completion club. I too pray for this to never affect us again. And prayers for you on your surgery. You'll do GREAT !!

Has anyone had very bad neuropathy? My fingers are so tingly and one actually hurts when I touch it. Should I call my doc? I don't know what's normal and will this go away eventually ? I researched some exercises to see if that helps.I only started this side effect after third taxol. Now after last one it's much worse

• midwest_laura
    edited April 2017
    Options

StayMom: Congrats on being done.  Wishing you strength and a speedy recovery from the chemo SE as you prepare for your surgery. 

Scared: I too had neuropathy, although it was only in my feet.  My MO threatened to cancel my final Taxol if it got any worse between Tx 3 & 4.  Thankfully, it was stable and I was able to finish the prescribed Tx.  I was not aware that there were specific exercises to relieve it.  While I think its always good to report new or changing SE's to your MO, I'm not sure what he can do about it at this point.  I think that all we can do is watch and wait.  Symptoms usually wane within the first 3 months PFC.  Hopefully it falls under the category of "this too shall pass".

• Hopfull2
    edited April 2017
    Options

hi everyone, is anyone experiencing problems with thier teeth. My teeth have been so sensitive and tingling. The way it feels when you chew on something cold, but mine feel like that all day. It's been like this for 3days now.

• Summer2016
    edited April 2017
    Options

scaredashell07----I had very bad neuropathy in hands and feet. However, I had Taxotere. It started during treatments (the second one I believe). I had bad burns on my fingers they split open. MO added more and more steroids which stopped the burns. After chemo neuropathy continued, MO offered a med, but I decided to wait to see if any subsides. So far my hands are much improved. My feet are painful when I walk or stand too long. And my fingernails are a mess--thickened, yellow, flaking layers and major ridges. Oh, my last chemo was Feb 10th and my hands have just recently improved. MO said it took weeks to put my body in the shape it is in and it will take even longer for me to feel better.-----hope your neuropathy leaves soon :)

• scaredashell07
    edited April 2017
    Options

thanks ladies!! I'm hoping for relief in the next few weeks. And hoping to see some hair growth soon. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend as much as possible.

• dcdrogers
    dcdrogers Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2017
    Options

@Hopfull2 - I began experiencing sensitivity to my front teeth a few weeks ago. I ONLY drink room temperature spring water and my teeth have become very sensitive. Crazy enough it's just the front two front teeth so far. I'll be bringing it up at my next visit with my MO. Not sure anything can be done about it as I finished my last chemo on 3-30.

• Hanging_in_there
    Hanging_in_there Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hopeful2

I have also been experiencing sensitive teeth. It started about 1.5 weeks PFC. I am now 3 weeks PFC. I just saw my dentist and he said all my teeth were fine. I didn't mention the sensitive teeth, because I thought it had to be chemo related, because it is so many teeth. Mine are sensitive to cold but not hot. I already use Colgate for sensitive teeth. That is what my dentist recommended a few years ago when I had a few sensitive teeth. Googling I found it could last for months after chemo.l

Now that I think of it, it is my front teeth too. I have to close my mouth in cold weather because having a cold wind blowing on my teeth hurts

• argynis
    argynis Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2017
    Options

Congratulation to all of you that finished chemo!

I had my last treatment yesterday and I am now waiting for the SE to kick in. Soooo glad this nightmare is soon over.