Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm on my 3rd bottle of tamoxifen and I did not have a base line scan of lining. But I saw my obg yesterday and he said he normally does it only on ppl who are post menopausal. But he said if my MO wants it he will do it. My SE are not too bad. Hot flashes not bad. I feel like I'm waiting for all the major SE but maybe I will be lucky and not have too many you will do fone

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited July 2017
    Options

hello all. Hope everyone is feel back to Normal as much as possible. Mentally I still think about my cancer coming back a few times a day. It's hard for me. I am a worrier to begin with so this has been especially difficult for me to get back to "normal "

I am 45 and on arimidex now and lupron to stop my cycle. I plan to have my ovaries out in August. So then I'll be on arimidex only for the next 5 years. So far so good and no bad side effects. Doc said it's a better option for me if I can tolerate an early menopause ( which is what the Lupron does) . Anyone else following same same type of treatment?

ANyone hear from stay mom ? Haven't heard from her and sent her a private message

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited July 2017
    Options

am I the only one here still in chemo? One more Taxol to go, then Herceptin weekly for rest of the year, and 7 weeks radiation, then 10 years of Femara.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited July 2017
    Options

I still have Herceptin every 3 weeks till the end of December, I had 18 rad treatments with18 more to go.

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited July 2017
    Options

misteyes, we will just have to keep each other company. I'd have been done with Taxol by now but had to take three breaks along the way. And the month off in the middle for BMX. This is not a marathon but an ultra-marathon. I always wanted to do one, but not like this.

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm still on Herceptin. I had my surgery back in May. My doctor is talking about Tamoxifen, but I'm not too anxious to start yet another drug.

• midwest_laura
    midwest_laura Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2017
    Options

I hope that everyone is doing well and finding their new Normal.  I still think about cancer everyday.  How can you not?  I'm reminded by every hot flash and every time my port gets bumped.  I'm extremely exhausted most afternoons from the Femera and Ibrance combination.  My joints are terribly painful every time I get up out of a chair.  How is a gal supposed to forget when there's a reminder around every corner?

Hello, Scared.  I chose the ovary removal route too.  As a matter of fact, just had my surgery this morning.  Fairly easy.  I was very groggy from the anesthesia all afternoon and early evening.  Just starting to feel steady again now at midnight.  I have just a bit of pain from the incisions, but the real kicker is the discomfort from the gas that they pump into your belly.  Oiy!  It's hard to lay down and sleep because of the bloating and pain.  Ah, but this too shall pass.

• mistyeyes
    edited July 2017
    Options

bareclaws- Ultra marathon is right! NotVeryBrave- I understand about the medicine. I will have to take a hormone...or anti-hormone...for 5 years. It makes me wonder what its doing to my body, and sometimes I am amazed of what my body can go through and survive. Laura- I am hoping that some of the aches and pains will go away when my body has a chance to recover from all it has gone through. I had to giggle at your post- I don't think that you meant for it to be funny - but all of your bloating and 'this too shall pass' - it will feel better when the air passes! lol

• NotVeryBrave
    edited July 2017
    Options

Wondering how people are doing with hair styling?

I finished chemo in April. I colored my hair in May, June, & July. I pretty much quit wearing a wig around the beginning of July because it was so hot. I'd been just wearing ball caps (turbans and wraps and stuff seem silly on me). But ball caps don't go with every outfit!

On vacation at the beach last week - I finally wore nothing on my head a few times. And last night I went to the local grocery store without any head covering. It's freeing in a way but still hard. I feel very conspicuous.

I've tried a bit of gel but really don't know what to do with this little bit of hair to make it look purposeful. Trying to do something spikey doesn't work because of the wave/curl. Any suggestions?

• scaredashell07
    edited August 2017
    Options

Notverybrave- I am in same boat except I still wear my wig most days except at the pool or beach when I wear a sun hat. I have to say I am wanting more and more to just screw it all and go short. I too have wavy hair so its growing in thick but not long enough to style. I have a short hair stylist on my to do list for end of august. Plus my kids don't like my hair short...so that's harder for me...feel like they are embarrassed in a way... not used to me this way and so young I don't expect them t underatnd

• NotVeryBrave
    edited August 2017
    Options

It is hard with the kids. My girls (16 & 11) are pretty supportive and encouraging. The younger one just cut her hair to donate and the older one has in the past. My son (13) is more honest. He asked me a long time ago if I was basically going to go out in public around his friends. I guess he's embarrassed. Oh, well.

I've never worn my hair short and am not a fan of short hair for me. What I have now could pass for an ultra-short cut, I suppose. I actually had the stylist cutting my daughter's hair trim some of the longer hairs and shave my neck so it looks a little more purposeful.

Still - I threw on a ball cap when I saw some extended family at the beach last week. It's like being naked or something! But I'm starting a new job soon. I had worn a wig to the interview but decided to go without when I went to pick up paperwork yesterday. I felt a little strange, but they were very supportive. The more I'm "out there" - the easier I suspect it will get.

• scaredashell07
    edited August 2017
    Options

I too have a new job I am starting in September. My short hair is going to be trimmed and styled somehow because I am not wearing a wig for a another two months.

Had anyone seen a nutritionist and if so any detox they have tried ?

• mistyeyes
    edited August 2017
    Options

Scared - I am interested in the nutrition also- I hope you get some answers.

• scaredashell07
    edited August 2017
    Options

hope everyone is healing and hair growing back

went to my nutritionist who is a biomedical scientist with two phds. Studied in Vienna and has been in practice for 28 years. Wants to detox me from chemo by taking glutathione for 3 weeks and then another supplement to boost immune system and the take anti inflammatory piils called coenzymeQ. Has anyone heard of these types of treatments and also in his anti inflammatory diet for me he says to avoid or peppers tomatoes fermented foods like apple cider vinegar balsamic vinegar salad dressing's ketsup A1 sauce barbecue sauce and mustard mayo. Says all cheeses are acceptable. Has anybody heard of these types of foods being removed from your diet. and what are you doing to lower estrogen in your body besides taking a pill?

• mistyeyes
    edited August 2017
    Options
    • Do you just avoid those types of food for 3 weeks? I like all those foods, but for 3 weeks I could do it. I don't know anything about the medications but, your nutritionist has a lot of education. If you choose to do this keep us informed on how you feel.
  • scaredashell07
    edited August 2017
    Options

it's a anti inflammatory diet so ongoing I guess

• Hanging_in_there
    Hanging_in_there Member Posts: 113
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm interested in nutrition too. I keep giving things up and I'm finding it hard to find things to eat without planning. I've just given up milk products and reduced eggs to very few. I had already given up red meats, processed foods. ... it goes on and on. Essentially I'm trying to be a Vegan with a twist. I will still eat (non-farmed) fish and organic chicken every so often.

I've been reading books (and watching a video on Netflix - "What the Health") that says casein which is found in milk and all milk products is one of the things most linked to cancer. It is hard giving up milk products, especially cheese. But I am going to start looking into finding a vegan cheese I like.. and something to put on my cereal, maybe almond milk.

• ML1209
    ML1209 Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi ladies - wish I had joined in during chemo. I finished mid April and just finished radiation. I was just wondering if any of you have lots of aches and pains? My joints are stiff all the time. I see my MO tomorrow to get started on Tamoxifen so will mention it. I am guessing it is normal after all our bodies have been through.

I just joined the ABC program at our YMCA. It is a free 4 month membership, a private trainer, and a nutritionist. I am looking forward to the nutrition aspect as well. My MO says the best way to combat most side effects is thru exercise and diet.

Have any of you started the Tamoxifen yet? Any advice?

Hugs and prayers all around!

• midwest_laura
    midwest_laura Member Posts: 114
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello, ML1209.  Your aches and pains may be due to a lack of estrogen.  I assume that you're in chemo-pause now.  Chemo does a number on our bodies in so many ways.  Plus, we aren't as active as normal during chemo.  I think all of these contribute to feeling like we've aged about 30 years.  Definitely let your MO know about it.  

• NotVeryBrave
    edited August 2017
    Options

ML1209 - Welcome! Yes, I have tons of aches and pains except mine got much worse and more localized to my wrists, hands, and knees while on Cipro following a breast infection. I thought it was the Cipro - the ID doctor had me stop it - but it hasn't improved and it's been 8 weeks now. I saw a rheumatologist last week and my MO held my Herceptin dose as well. Not sure what's going on.

They wanted me to start Tamoxifen, but I think I'm going to wait until at least whatever this is improves or possibly until I'm done with the Herceptin. I seem to get every SE and then some. Most of the time they act like they've never had anyone with _____ before. It's very frustrating.

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited August 2017
    Options

hi mL, I finished chemo end of February abd had aches for a couple months. I think may or June I noticed the aches diminished. Ive also been on tamoxifen since March. It's not too Back. Done hot flashes here and there still no menstrual period, but overall it's def doable. Hugs

• mistyeyes
    edited August 2017
    Options

ML1209- I had aches and pains after chemo also. I got worried that was just going to be my life from now on, but it wasn't and I feel better now. I have just finished radiation. I have not been put on anti-hormone pills yet. I still am on Herceptin every three weeks because my tumor was HER 2+. I hope you feel better soon.

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2017
    Options

ML 1209-----I have struggled with extremely tight muscles all over since chemo. Even though I walked during chemo and still did a lot around the house. There are days when I feel as though my calf muscles/tendons could burst...as if they do not want to stretch. I finished chemo end of feb and am just now having a few days that my muscles/tendons feel normal. Still have neuropathy in hands and feet.-----meds surely effect everyone differently...My MO said it takes a year to recover from chemo. Hope you feel better soon!

• scaredashell07
    edited August 2017
    Options

yes lots of aches and pains and went away for a while but now on arimidex and worse. Ugh. Feel better soon. Also I've heard b12 is good for joint pain

• mistyeyes
    edited September 2017
    Options

I don't know if anybody is still on here.  I still get Herceptin.  I don't know if what I get is from Herceptin or from the chemo and if I will have it forever.  Every few months or so, it does not happen often, but I get really achy all over, maybe like the flu achy.  I take a pain pill and lay down for a couple of hours, and then its gone as suddenly as it came on. 

• NotVeryBrave
    edited September 2017
    Options

I'm still around. And still on Herceptin. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever feel normal again.

No answers from my Rheumatologist for all of my joint pains. He thinks that it's most likely the Cipro that I took for an infection because of when it started. Stopping the Herceptin didn't make any difference. A steroid pack helped but not completely. I got a cortisone injection in my shoulder last week. Good times ...

I did finally start the Tamoxifen a few days ago. I had started to get back some vaginal discharge and freaked out about how much estrogen might be floating around! ;-)

• mistyeyes
    edited September 2017
    Options

Sorry that you are having a lot of pain. I started to think that I will never be back to normal, and this is my new normal. I have not started any pills for hormones yet. I know the doctor said I would take them. Maybe next time I see him I will ask. I am beginning to wonder if I can ever put this behind me, I think even after things get kind of normal I will always have anxiety that it will come back. I am trying to keep my focus positive and be thankful and happy every day, but sometimes my mind wanders into the dark side.

• Hanging_in_there
    edited September 2017
    Options

I'm around, and back on chemo (pill). Throwing the kitchen sink at my breast cancer does not involve anything with tamoxofin or herceptin. Two weeks on xeloda, one week off. My first week off (which ends today) hasn't been any different than my weeks on, except I don't have an old car horn sound on my phone telling me it is time to take pills twice a day (12 hours apart within 30 minutes of a meal). Now that is a pain. I have IV chemo fatigue, radiation fatigue and probably new pill chemo fatigue. This doesn't go on for 5 years, it goes on for 18-21 weeks.

• NotVeryBrave
    edited September 2017
    Options

Misty - Yes to anxiety. It seems like there are a number of people who do everything and still have it come back. It feels like you can never relax, can never just be done.

Hanging - Why are you on a chemo pill? What happened? I'm so sorry about the fatigue. Are your blood counts okay?

• Hanging_in_there
    edited September 2017
    Options

Not Very Brave, if you look in my signature line it says I'm TNBC, which means hormone drugs don't work on me, so this drug was just approved for standard treatment in June this year, so it is what I can do to help my survival chances. Besides changing my diet drastically, exercising more (but not enough yet) and reducing other exposures. I'm slowly doing all of it. But taking milk and milk products out of my diet has been the hardest. And exercising enough is hard because I just realized (today) I have one good day with lots of energy and the next day, I crash. It is only because I am either ON or OFF. So if I can learn to go slow to medium, I probably would not crash every other day.