Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi Ladies-

I had my first treatment today. My nurse was amazing. She's actually the daughter of one of my mom's good friends and my eye doctor (small world in our little city!) I'd never met her before, she's about 4 yrs younger than me, but I knew of her. One of the other nurses I talked to briefly is the mom of a girl I graduated high school with.

Everything was very nice - the cancer center is about 5 years old and only 5 minutes from my house. They treatment area has nice big windows with a good view. And it was sunny today, so that was pleasant.

My port worked fine. I got the pre-meds and herceptin with no issues. Then they started the Taxotere and Ihad a reaction 4 minutes in. It was really scary! First my chest tightened, then shortness of breath, then I got really hot and flushed - my neck and ears felt like they were on fire. My mom was sitting with me at the time and immediately called the nurse over.

They stopped the infusion and I was surrounded by 4 nurses in a matter of seconds. They gave me benydryl, Pepcid, steroids, took vitals and I was feeling better very quickly. They monitored me for 30 minutes and then started the taxotere again at a slower rate. So going forward, I'll need all those drugs before infusion and then do the slower rate over 90 minutes.

Now I'm home resting and going to have some chicken rice soup my mom brought over.

• Carolg516
    Carolg516 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2016
    Options

I had my first chemo on Thursday dec 1st. StArted feeling warm and lethargic Monday afternoon. Then had some stomach pain. But now, Wednesday nite feeling much better. Hoping this means just 2 off days

• Hanging_in_there
    Hanging_in_there Member Posts: 113
    edited December 2016
    Options

PamLamb, I read about your blood clot just hours before I had chest pain. It happened a couple of times yesterday but by after dinner, it had happened enough that I couldn't ignore it. I ended up in the hospital for 6 hours. They did an EKG and CT scan (looking for that blood clot). They never found one, so sent me home. But if I get the chest pains again, I'll end up back in the hospital for the same thing. It was helpful to read about yours, and I wasn't scared as I might have been. They thought chest pain was just related to bone pain or other SE of Chemo.

Yesterday was Chemo #1 plus 9 days. My (assigned) case manager called and told me about bone pain vs joint pain and explained how each feels about noon, by 4:00 in the afternoon I was having (my first) bad bone pain in my hips/femurs. At least I knew how to identify it. Over the counter painkillers made it go away, but by the time I was taking care of it, I was in the hospital, asked for a Tylenol and it took a half and hour before the doctor could get back to me to OK a Tylenol. I think next time I need to keep a bottle in my purse so something like that doesn't happen, where a doctor has to OK Tylenol.

Seems like so many things to go wrong.

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2016
    Options

My chemo nurse told me that the third day after chemo would be the worst. She was right. I've felt like a wet dishrag all day. Last night was bad and it was my own fault for eating something way too spicy for the state of my intestines. Bad cramping. Even my dogs were worried. But it eased up by morning and I've just been really tired.

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2016
    Options

Bareclaws - sorry for the bad night. and glad youre doing ok today!

The doctor wants me to take a Xanax for the treatment day so I am not overly nervous...should I ? I don't take anxiety or depression pills but I am usualy a bit more anxious about things... are they asking me to do this to make their jobs easier...so I am not anxious? anyone else take anxiety meds before treatment?

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2016
    Options

1st treatment 8am today finished at 3pm. Had headache upon arrival probably tension and congestion so I took a claritan.  There was a 60min prep: flush port and get Dignicap situated on scalp to get cold for 30mins prior to chemo (wet hair and fit and strap tight took several tries for the nurse to get right). Then 2 chemo bags one T other C each 1hour 15 mins (changing times and bathroom break also caused extra time). Then, 2 hours of Dignicap cooling system after chemo. Once machine is turned off I had to wait another 20 minutes for my scalp to slowly warm up before I could leave.

Those wanting to know....at first Dignicap was really cold however I had taken 2 Tylenol extra strength prior to starting then I got used to it. I had one heavy throw and one electric throw and a sweatshirt so no chills!

Neulasta pump was placed on my stomach and discussed as well as all signs to watch out for on both Neulasta and chemo.

Chemo caused me to feel extremely dizzy and when I closed my eyes I felt as if my entire body was dropping as if on an amusement park ride. Then from one side to the other as if snowskiing-----really strange. This went on for 3 hours or more. Felt like I could fall during my restroom break from the dizzy feeling. 

I read and listened many who have experienced chemo therefore I drank 4 bottles of water prior, 3 during, and 3 after chemo----will continue to drink more water through the night. I just took a nausea pill and plain to take one in the morning hoping not to be ill as I can be the queen of throwing up!

Overall, I felt pretty good leaving the hospital but my nurse said many become ill that night, next morning or a day or two after....Yikes! Just hoping all stays calm....I do have blotching rash looking blobs on abdomen and back so I hope that goes away.

Oh and I am very glad to have the port as it made this procedure much easier! Wishing all of you the very best as we weather the storm moving ever closer to the sunshine!

• Jezikah
    edited December 2016
    Options

Scaredashell - I have heard of people taking xanax before treatment, but usually people that have prediagnosed anxiety issues. I was definitely nervous yesterday for my treatment. My starting BP was 135 (usually I'm around 105 when totally calm). It did get down to 111 at one point during treatment after I was settled in and doing well.

I'm sure they just want to give you the option to make you as comfortable as possible. But if you're not comfortable with it, don't do it. My sister has anxiety and she has to take xanax even to visit me in the hospital/clini, I can't even imagine how many she would need if she were being treated.

• ThePinkRibbonEffect
    ThePinkRibbonEffect Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi ladies,

So glad someone started this group! I will be starting 12/13/16. I'm 32 years old with Stage IIA triple positive ER/PR/Her2, Grade 3 breast cancer. I went to two different hospitals, one suggested TCHP and the other ACTHP. It seems ACTHP is more popular on some of the threads but the place I've opted to get treatment at strongly suggests TCHP. Is anyone going that route?

Regardless, looking forward to having an online community and we will all get through this!

thepinkribboneffect.com

• Sammy3
    Sammy3 Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi guys - I am the Dec 2015 person popping back in. I actually just had my last Herceptin yesterday so its been a long year! I had a backpack of things I would take to appointments, and it reminded me to tell you Herceptin gals to sign up at their website for a patient education pack. I believe there is one on both herceptin.com and perjeta.com (if you are taking both). The herceptin sign up will link you to some patient education items that are helpful. I am not sure if they are doing it still, but from them I got a treatment planner/calendar book thing. The perjeta one sends a cookbook - helpful ideas for what to eat during chemo, etc. Both of those drugs are made by the same company, but I believe it is a different signup.

Someone asked about TCHP vs ACTHP. I did TCHP but I know people who were also triple + who had the AC version. I believe outcomes are very similar and that it ends up being oncologist preference on what they use.

Someone else also asked about Muga scans or echos. This is also just oncologist preference. But then whatever one you have - you will contine to get the same one throughout your treatment. I just scheduled another echo for January. I belive they will check you every 3 mos.

Another helpful hint, especially this time of the year....your nose will run a lot! it will also get dry and cracked. I highly recommend a sailne nasal gel. You can find it at the drugstores right by the saline nasal sprays, but this is a gel you just put on the tip of your finger and basically wipe on your nose. Total lifesafer. The brand I used was AYR.

Good luck everyone!

• Angtee15
    Angtee15 Member Posts: 72
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi ladies I am from the December 2015 group too (Hi Sammi!) Hugs and encouragement to you all as you start making your way to the finish line.

If anyone is using Brian Joseph gel to help prevent lash and brow loss, I do have one unused tube that I will happily mail to someone who can use it. Free of charge of course! Just PM your address to me.

Angie

• Jezikah
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm triple positive and doing TC+H. My Onco said that based on research he's studied that most times people had heart issues with Herceptin, they were also on Adriamycin, so he won't ever recommend a regimine that includes both drugs.

• Covered69
    Covered69 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi all,

Popping back in to see how everyone if fairing so far. Only my second post but I've been a heavy reader of this forum especially as of late. It's had both pros and cons for me. I love gathering helpful information and am very encouraged to read of others journey but I guess it also makes it more real to me when, right now after only having one Taxol under my belt, I haven't experienced SE's yet. Well, I've been more irritable. And I have plenty moments of not wanting at all to face this journey and then I have times where I'm looking forward to the holidays, have already envisioned myself in scarfs and contemplated getting back into working out soon.

Flux of emotions! Hope all is well

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2016
    Options

Sammy3 - Thanks for popping back in to check on us. Your suggestion about using AYR is a good one. I've used it a couple years anyway since I have allergies and my nose gets really dry in the winter. It does help.

Covered69 - so glad you haven't had an SE's yet, that is wonderful!

Summer2016 - glad you made it through your first infusion. Your description of being on an amusement part ride and/or skiing for 3 hours really highlights how dizzy you felt. I was also amazed at how much water your drank during the treatment. I know I've heard hydration is really important....I guess I'm going to need to do a much better job of drinking water. I hope you're hanging in there today since I've heard that day 3 can be the worse for some people.

bareclaws - I hope you're now feeling a little better after the SEs you had on day 3 and feel more like yourself and even up for working out a bit again.

scaredashell07 - I wouldn't take the anxiety medicine unless it's something you want to do. That in itself can have it's own SE's...especially if you don't already take that kind of medicine. I've tried anxiety meds once or twice and did not like them at all. For me I felt worse take the meds that dealing with the anxiety in other ways. I think Jezikah is probably right that the doctors just wanted to give you the option. I'm starting to get pretty nervous for my first treatment (next Thursday), so I scheduled a massage to help me relax and may also make a point to go to yoga.

Hanging_in_there - sorry you had to deal with chest pain and end up in the hospital. I'm sure that was very scary. Glad your case manager explained the difference between bone pain and joint pain. Seems like they should have done that before you had chemo though. Thanks for the tip on bringing Tylenol with you everywhere.

Shell72 - glad your treatment went smoothly!

Irishmom3 - glad you only had a few jitters during treatment. I hope you're not feeling to bad now that it's been a few days.

scaredashell07 - I'll be thinking of you next Friday when you start your chemo. My 1st one is on Thursday...

Carolg516 - Two off days doesn't sound too bad. I hope that holds true for you during each cycle.

Well, it's Saturday and I'm working at the German Christmas Market (Kristkindlmarkt) in a couple hours. I hope this puts me in a festive holiday mood seeing all the people shopping, listening to some Christmas Carols, etc.

• Carolg516
    Carolg516 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2016
    Options

Started getting back and hip pains/cramps day 6 and 7 after neulasta. 2 Tylenol arthritis each day relieved them, but I also decided to take Claritin. Told to take Claritin for 5 days but I think 7 days can't hurt. Will see how today goes. 

• Michelled2422
    Michelled2422 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2016
    Options

Yes Claritan works! My Dr can't tell me why but it worked for me.

• Jezikah
    edited December 2016
    Options

Day 3 here. Woke up a little achy and very queasy. Biggest SE has been loss of appetite. I have to make myself eat throughout the day and it usually means a bite every few minutes. Yesterday, I had half a banana, a yogurt, a single graham cracker and a Larabar... and each was a struggle. The Larabar took over an hour to eat... I've been pretty good with hydrating- mostly water, some sports drinks, but the food is the struggle. I definitely need more than ~500 calories a day.

At least the anti-nausea meds are helping or I probably wouldn't be eating anything. Otherwise, I'm just feeling tired, but not too terrible. Went to my daughter's Christmas program last night and then to my sister's house for a friend's b-day party. Everyone was happy to see me out, and it was nice to have that support.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hello.  I had my first chemo treatment Dec. 8th.  I felt fine and even went to work yesterday (9th)  Today it whipped my butt!  I am so tired and weird but my hands hurt.  Other than that I think I am ok.  I have had no nausea and am very thankful.  I am reading all of the tips that come from this site.  I am so glad that this exists, I don't feel so alone

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you Sammy3 - I am taking both of those and will check out the sites.

• Jezikah
    edited December 2016
    Options

KB870 - that's a thought, but I've always been very good about drinking water. I averaged 70-80 oz of water a day in my 'pre-chemo life'. However I haven't even been getting that much the last few days :( I know I need i work harder to eat and drink even when I don't feel like it

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2016
    Options

Feeling pretty good today. My appetite has picked up a little. Had Neulasta & have been taking the Claritin, my legs continue to ache. Reminds me of a mild flu and wanting to take cat naps throughout the day. I'm so thankful I have others who know what I'm going through

• SCGirl50
    SCGirl50 Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am finishing day 4 since 1st infusion. Day 1 and 2 not bad. I worked both days. Friday day three I had really bad upset stomach and indigestion. I was having a hard time eating or drinking anything. As a result I was very tired. That evening I did get sick just once but there was nothing hardly in my stomach. I started making myself drink water and eat crackers. Zofran did not seem to help much as my stomach was making some wicked noises and churning. Saturday was more of the same but I guess the steroids started kicking in because my appetite picked up Sat. evening. I was able to eat some chicken and a baked potato. I hope it continues since I took my last scheduled steroid Sat. My stomach is better but still not normal. Another really weird thing is my TE's are extremely uncomfortable as well as my port area. I guess maybe I am somewhat dehydrated so they are rubbing on my ribs. Also very annoying is my heightened sense of smell. I hope the worst is over until next time.

• SCGirl50
    SCGirl50 Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am finishing day 4 since 1st infusion. Day 1 and 2 not bad. I worked both days. Friday day three I had really bad upset stomach and indigestion. I was having a hard time eating or drinking anything. As a result I was very tired. That evening I did get sick just once but there was nothing hardly in my stomach. I started making myself drink water and eat crackers. Zofran did not seem to help much as my stomach was making some wicked noises and churning. Saturday was more of the same but I guess the steroids started kicking in because my appetite picked up Sat. evening. I was able to eat some chicken and a baked potato. I hope it continues since I took my last scheduled steroid Sat. My stomach is better but still not normal. Another really weird thing is my TE's are extremely uncomfortable as well as my port area. I guess maybe I am somewhat dehydrated so they are rubbing on my ribs. Also very annoying is my heightened sense of smell. I hope the worst is over until next time.

• Twinsmawmaw
    Twinsmawmaw Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2016
    Options

well ladies this has been a trip. started getting mouth sores 5 days after chemo, severe mouth sores with low grade temp on day 6, appointment with more on 7 day with temp of 102.2. was admitted to the hospital with a white blood cell count of 0.4, which is non existant. Low red blood cells count which resulted in receiving 2 units. . of blood.Received massive doses of antibiotics .came home yesterday . i am so depressed, no christmas is done, my daughter promises to help, but has too many emotional issues. hubby is older and is trying , I just feel so alone, scared and don't know what to do. see the oncologist next week just to discuss chemo. ok enough feeling sorry for me, will restablish today and get things done.

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2016
    Options

IL Sunrise-

I fight cluster and tension headaches so I knew I had to really drink H2O! I ran errands again yesterday from 10am until 3pm and came home totally wiped out. All I could do was go to bed as I began to feel achy legs arms and hips. Took 2 extra strength Tylenol. Dozed off and on all night as I am still afraid to take a sleeping pill.

Hopefully, you enjoyed working at the German Christmas market---that sounds like fun :) I found getting out helps me feel better about my treatment.

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2016
    Options

Twins- so sorry you had to go through all that. What is the cause ? Did the er tell your doctor and what do they say is the reason for the fever

And on another subject some women seem to be taking Claritin. how does Claritin help

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2016
    Options

I will starting Chemo (TCHP) on Dec 15. Six cycles with additional weekly Herceptin (for 1 Year). I am doing Chemo first and will have surgery in about 5 months. I was diagnosed on Nov 22 2016. Stage IIIA IDC ER+, PR+, HER2+ I have had a lot of tests and I feel like it has been a whirlwind. I had my port put in last Wednesday.

I have been reading this board for a couple of weeks and I am thankful for all the information. I look forward to hearing from all the other December ladies.

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2016
    Options

Day 6 after first chemo and I'm still feeling pretty bad, maybe worse. I had labs on Friday (day before yesterday) and they were all good. But my guts are a mess. Terrible gas pains at night, to the point that I'm afraid to eat anything. And I've lost weight this week, so am feeling weak and puny anyway. I did try to run a half marathon today that I had signed up for many months ago. 5.5 miles into it, I had to quit, which was a huge disappointment. My stomach was so queasy that I was afraid I'd end up puking by the side of the road. Much crying about that. I've never dropped out of a race before. Demoralized, hungry, achy, tired (little sleep).

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2016
    Options

Bareclaws & Twinsmawmaw I am thinking of you both. Today is day 6 following my first TC & Herceptin infusions (started 7th Dec). I feel so rotten! I too have had terrible wind pain with a distended stomach every time I eat even the blandest food. Diarrhoea started on day 5 plus a mild temp and I still have horrible body aches especially in my back. Slept the day away yesterday on a lazyboy and couldn't even find the energy to read my cellphone which is a first for me. Saw doctor today, wants to rule out a gut infection. My nose is full of sores too and my scalp is itchy and stings if I wash or wet my hair. I went to work today (pharmacy technician) for 3 hours because my pain is better if I walk a bit. I feel so down today, feeling I can't cope with many more days of feeling so dreadful. No longer feeling brave

Bawling

• SoCalAimee
    SoCalAimee Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2016
    Options

I begin my chemo on Thursday. Reading your posts has been very helpful to me. Thank you to all of you who have participated. I'm nervous and afraid that my body will never be "normal" and work well again, but all I can do is hope and pray for the best. Everyone wants to go to chemo and "sit with me" and would be "honored to be a part of my journey." How funny. I really want to be alone. It's not a journey for me. It's something I must do to continue to be well and be with my children, but it's not a Hallmark Channel experience. I know people are well-intentioned, however.

Best of luck to everyone who has a "go" this week and healing thoughts for all of you who are suffering side-effects. I hope you find something that works for you.

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2016
    Options

SoCalAimee - my chemo starts on Thursday too. I've had several people offer to sit with me for the infusions. I haven't been too keen on the idea either. I may change my mind, but right now just want to get the first one over with as soon as possible. I'm dreading this much more than the surgery.

Hang in there everyone battling all the SE's right now.