Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2017
    Options

Here are the definitions of moderate and vigorous exercise from the Mayo Clinic website. Moderate exercise is a brisk walk or a hike up a hill, not cardio. It's important to understand how achievable 150 minutes of moderate exercise is. It's not an aerobic workout.

Moderate activity feels somewhat hard. Here are clues that your exercise intensity is at a moderate level:

• Your breathing quickens, but you're not out of breath.
    • You develop a light sweat after about 10 minutes of activity.
    • You can carry on a conversation, but you can't sing.

Vigorous activity feels challenging. Here are clues that your exercise intensity is at a vigorous level:

• Your breathing is deep and rapid.
    • You develop a sweat after only a few minutes of activity.
    • You can't say more than a few words without pausing for breath.

As far as heart rate goes, this is what it looks like.

• Moderate exercise intensity: 50 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate
    • Vigorous exercise intensity: 70 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate

On the FitBit scale the FatBurn zone corresponds to moderate exercise and the Cardio zone corresponds to the vigorous exercise intensity. The advantage of a Fitbit with heart rate monitoring is that it tracks your time in these zones with a very well designed interface. This is the corresponding Fitbit terminology.

• Peak zone, means your heart rate is greater than 85% of maximum, is the high-intensity exercise zone. The peak zone is for short intense sessions that improve performance and speed.
    • Cardio zone, means your heart rate is 70 to 84% of maximum, is the medium-to-high intensity exercise zone. In this zone, you're pushing yourself but not straining. For most people, this is the exercise zone to target.
    • Fat burn zone means your heart rate is 50 to 69% of maximum, is the low-to-medium intensity exercise zone and may be a good place to start for those new to exercise. It's called the fat burn zone because a higher percentage of calories are burned from fat, but the total calorie burn rate is lower.
    • When you're out of zone, your heart rate is below 50% of maximum, your heart rate may still be elevated but not enough to be considered exercise.

>Z<

• Ronnie3001
    Ronnie3001 Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2017
    Options

Ladies,

Do you guys have any input on using a Jacuzzi as part of an exercise program? I thought I had heard it was not good for those with Bone Mets....

Thanks much,

Ronnie

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited February 2017
    Options

https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/news/press-releases/detail/article/33752/

For those without Fitbit heart rate monitoring or who can't be bothered to take their pulse, moderate intensity can be defined as 3,000 steps in 30 minutes, according to the doctor quoted in the above release.

Ronnie, I haven't heard of that connection.  

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2017
    Options

I have done 30 minutes worth of Leslie Sansone so far, will probably do more later. If not, cleaning up after family dinner will burn more pesky calories. I am happy to have people over tonight.

Micmel, so sorry the sleep is rough. I can appreciate how bad it can make you feel. Keeping moving is perfect to trying to restore it. If you are not bothered by noise, I would suggest that youtube has some really good sleep meditations if you are not already using them. I enjoy t he 8 hour "gentle sleep talkdown". You don't have to DO anything much, couple deep breaths and tensing your body. The talking goes for 10 minutes, rain noise for the rest of the time. I use a cellphone and earbuds as they work best. I have also used my laptop that is nearby. Sleep mask keeps out the light. Good luck. Link is below.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Z, hope the cannabis works out. Neat that the fitbit can monitor your sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i53B-y_i2o

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Go Mara! Enjoy the family time.

Great sleep strategies. What you do before you sleep makes a huge difference. You remind me that I am usually on the computer which is not a good idea.

I went out to run my usual 3 mile loop and made it about 2 miles. Frustrating to still not be 100%, but good to get 40 minutes of cardio. First time in 9 days. Put me in second in the weekend warrior step challenge, but I've got someone on my heals and I am unlikely to move any more. I do want to get my yoga&ab routine in today. It's been a week since that happened.

Keep moving ladies! What are your plans for exercise for the coming week?

>Z<

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited February 2017
    Options

Did a short kettle bell session and then 40 minutes on the treadmill. Yesterday was a 2/3 mile swim. Will see how sore I am tomorrow :)

Z- Traveling takes strength and you have been in the road! Give yourself some credit...

It's a new week with new opportunities to work up a sweat, including a walk around the block Lulubee!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Kathryn - You are a beast, exercisewise. I miss swinging kettlebells. Could happen.

Lulubee - I am looking for you ...

>Z<

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited February 2017
    Options

::waves her hanky::

Haven't made it all the way around the block yet but I'm ready to try it (although it's too rainy to hit the sidewalks today, esp with a bazillion bone mets-- onco would slap my hand for that, for sure). Breathing is getting a little better from one day to the next, but I'm having to really watch my heart rate. Last night I tried to put a big load of laundry in the washer for the first time in over a month, and my HR suddenly spiked to 125 and all the laundry turned grey. Uh oh. So it's gonna be baby steps for a while longer.

But we move what we can when we can, right? Right. There are days when all you can do is lock the bathroom door and do the Macarena.

HeadphonesMedicatingSickTired

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi LuluBee - So glad to hear from you. I want to say that vomiting is excellent exercise, but that crosses every line of perkiness and humor, even on the MBC forum. So I did not say that. Really, I am at a loss trying to say something positive about your situation. It sounds very rough and I am quite concerned.

It sounds like your current goal is to do the laundry without barfing on it ... we're standing by ready to cheer you on. Please take exceptional care of yourself ... gently we move forward, often sideways, sometimes backwards, but mostly forward.

>Z<

• heidihill
    edited February 2017
    Options

Way to go on breathing better, Lulubee! Looks like you need to do baby loads or have DH take that job on. Macarena sounds good to me.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,897
    edited February 2017
    Options

Z~ I had remembered you had mentioned your scalp burning while taking this medicine, and with this ending four cycle I can definitely feel it. I also remember you saying that when it felt like, that getting out and working out helps that somehow. Well you're 100% correct and I agree completely. I walked a mile and a half today and before I went my scalp hurt, as I sit here I can actually tell a big difference, thank you very much for the excellent advice! I was almost done my walk and I realized I had dropped my hat a good amount a ways back, I almost cried! But I pushed myself back to get it and I'm glad I did. My feet on the other hand, not so glad but oh well I'm the boss! Hope everyone is meeting or exceeding their weekday goals! I'm gonna keep trying! Have a strong day! ~M~

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

Micmel - Yup. Couldn't run today. Scalp is burning. And I think I can feel my hairline receding. I am planning to lower my Ibrance dose to 100mg. Hopefully that will mean I don't have to run every day to to keep my scalp from burning. I want to exercise, but I prefer a carrot to a (burning) stick.

This is strange business indeed.

I did a good yoga class for 90 minutes, but didn't make my step goal. Spent the day in investor meetings and doing bizzness. Every now and then I tiptoe back into my old life where no one knows I have cancer. Then I come home and collapse. Having that much energy is hard to imagine.

>Z<

• Ronnie3001
    edited March 2017
    Options

It's hump day and I am starting Flow Yoga today to add to my workout routine...

Kathryn - Kettle Ball sounds intimidating how did you get started out? Trying to liven up my weekly workouts.

On another note got great news this morning from my ONC! I had Bone Scan and CAT Scan last week and the results are in! No new Bone Lesions, CT Scans shows there is nothing new. There are some very tiny lung nodules, but these are very tiny, and lung nodules are most often not cancer, so she is not worried about these at this time.

This is the best news my family has had since original DX in August 2016!

Time to celebrate! Life is good and GOD is great!

Hugs and Prayers to everyone..

Ronnie

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ronnie - Thank you for sharing the good news. You and Heidi are officially Badass. Thanks for carrying the torch. We're right behind you.

I have been in meetings all day today. Tomorrow is more of the same. I used to get up and five, do my workout, and then power through a day like this. At this point I am just glad I could stay alert through a 9 hour meeting. Quite pleased with myself, actually, but I will be in resting for the rest of the evening.

>Z<

• mara51506
    edited March 2017
    Options

Z, I could not stay alert during a 9 hour meeting. Hats off to you. I would definitely be nodding off. Glad you can rest.

I managed well today, 2 mile walking with Leslie Sansone. Broke up into 2 one mile segments of course. 20 mins exercise bike and arm work with my air climber videos. Approx 45 to 50 mins total throughout the day. Was great.

Glad to hear your good news Ronnie. Stable is awesome news.

Hope everyone else had a great day.

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

Mara - you are a Badass as well. Quite a day for you. It is so inspiring to share in your recovery.

>Z<

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,897
    edited March 2017
    Options

Mara~ I think you're amazing. Working and taking care of everything for yourself and healing also! ~Raises my Gatorade packed with murilax in a toast~. I am working my way back to where you are! At least I get the two miles walks in. It's not quite that nice yet to where I can walk everyday. Too cold, for my aching reminder of joints.

Keep on fighting ladies, you are all very inspirational and special people. It takes more than a strong person to do the things we all have been through.

Z~. Hope you're feeling better than the last time we caught up!

Dianarose~ in my thoughts !

Have a great day. I'm taking a walk break today, it's just too darn windy and cold for my newly unwanted short hairstyle. But I am thankful i have hair. I couldn't say that a few months ago. One day at a time warriors! ~M~

• Ronnie3001
    edited March 2017
    Options

Z, You are the badass powering through a 9 hour day has to be tough. I decided to return to work and start Monday.. I have to say I am a bit anxious about seeing my customers and coworkers. I don't want to be treated any differently then before, I just want to have some sort of normalcy if possible...I pray that I am able to get half of what I use to do done in a day! If I can work 4 hours I will be very lucky! I am though very fortunate to have a wonderful boss who is supportive and says "do what you can" and that is better then most...

The exercise routine has helped me become more active day by day so I will push on!

Lets keep moving!!

Ronnie

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ronnie- I am so glad you are going back to work. But don't let it compromise your self care. This thread attracts people who push themselves but we cannot burn the candle at both ends anymore.

I'll be after you for reports on your exercise, rest diet!

Z

• mara51506
    edited March 2017
    Options

Micmel, thanks. Once I was able to start moving, it makes me feel good. I do have rest days but actually can feel the malaise trying to creep back in. No thanks. I still only do short bursts of activity throughout the day. I get bored otherwise. All of the shorter ones equal a longer one. Since I no longer work, my day is really my own so it is easier to manage too.

It is also starting to get warmer here so I plan to get started with my spring cleaning. I will organize anything I don't want, put is in a pile and get 1800 got junk people to take it away. That way, they will sort, donate, trash or recycle anything for me. Much easier than trying to do it myself. Willl be totally worth it.

• GracieM2007
    GracieM2007 Member Posts: 1,255
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi to everyone!!! Decided to wear my fit bit yesterday when I went to get my shot and did some shopping in Wichita afterwards, no more than I normally do but I got over 6000 steps !!! Woo hoo !!! The day before or maybe two days before I wore my fit bit all day and just around the house cleaning I had over 4000 ! Today so far I've got 3600 and the day isn't over! So I'm thinking I might not be quite as sedentary as I always have thought I was! I didn't have any idea that I got that many steps during the day just keeping house and doing laundry and taking care of the dog ! I'm going to really push to try to get 6 to 7000 daily!!! I hate to miss this but I don't even know what kettle balls are , but I'm sure that they are something really heavy! I am still dealing with my heart rate and trying to figure it out, if I do much around the house like someone else said laundry it's spikes right up to 115 in no time at all but then it goes right back down to 60 like within a minute! I am hoping that with the walking that I do it will help strengthen my heart and maybe more heart rates will become a little bit more normal, Is that an unreasonable objective

• mara51506
    edited March 2017
    Options

Gracie, cardio can definitely help out the heart, strengthen etc. Cardio does not have to be a huge increase in heartrate either. A good brisk walk can definitely get the heart going, vacuuming is always a good one. It is more strenuous than people usually think of. Kettle bell is good too. As long as you can manage to boost your heartrate regularly, it will strengthen it. When it comes to it spiking, keep track of it. Laundry makes sense to make it go up since it is strenuous to load/unload clothes. The fact that it went back to 60 quickly is good. You would worry about it more IF you were at rest and it started racing for no reason. Keep it up, sounds like you have the movement down.

• aoibheann
    aoibheann Member Posts: 252
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi all, Just thought I'd join in the conversation. My main (only) activity is to go for a walk most days and I'm interested in what others do. Today I did my usual walk down to the harbour and back, 5.36km in 1h 5mins according to my phone. After lunch I dozed for the afternoon... I'm worried I'll develop pressure sores from sitting so much! Cold over here with lots of rain forecast - not good news for fairweather walkers.

Aoibheann

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

Welcome Aoibheann. Walking is the cornerstone of all our routines. However, we have lots of ideas. Please stick around.

Gracie - One of the things I like about the fitbit is that it gives you credit for everything and it all adds. I am a runner and a serious hiker, but there is nothing more surprising than the step count after a trip to Walmart. It's very motivating. I hope that you join our fitbit group. It definitely keeps me moving.

This week has been pathetic as I have had a few small work obligations. Unfortunately, all I can do is show up at these meetings (which go on for hours) and then collapse. But tomorrow is free and I will get back to my routine.

>Z<

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

Exercise and psychological counseling are more effective that pharmaceuticals at reducing cancer related fatigue, according to this new study. Personally, I think you have to pay close attention to sleep quality as well and that was not looked at in this study.

Question Which of the 4 most commonly recommended treatments for cancer-related-fatigue—exercise, psychological, the combination of exercise and psychological, and pharmaceutical—is the most effective?

Findings This meta-analysis of 113 unique studies (11 525 unique participants) found that exercise and psychological interventions and the combination of both reduce cancer-related fatigue during and after cancer treatment. Reduction was not due to time, attention, or education. In contrast, pharmaceutical interventions do not improve cancer-related fatigue to the same magnitude.

Meaning Clinicians should prescribe exercise and/or psychological interventions as first-line treatments for cancer-related fatigue.

• mara51506
    edited March 2017
    Options

I completely agree that exercise should be prescribed. It should be prescribed right away as they are laying out plans for chemo etc. If people can start moving before they start treatment, it makes all stages of treatment easier. It would even make sense to prescribe a trainer and have actual workout appointments within the treatment plan. Not sure if cancer centres do that, but they should. Would cut down on a lot of hopsital visits. Whether a person is an early stager or later stage like us, that kind of intervention would prove invaluable. I credit the movement as what FINALLY got me not only eating, but enjoying food. I have missed that a lot. My fatigue is better and it was what I needed to finally kick the brain rads fatigue to the curb. If people were able to start moving before SE from treatment surgery or radiation kicked in, these effects would be less. I know from when I was on my previous chemo, no SE from the chemo itself. Just the steroid crash and burn. Once on Herceptin only up until my brain met became a problem, I felt awesome even after chemo and rads 2015/2016. I am starting to remember how I felt back then which is great. I will keep moving if only for this reason.

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

All I can say is that I haven't exercised in 3 days and my scalp is on fire and I am exhausted. Looking forward to at least a good brisk walk tomorrow. Hopefully a run.

>Z<

• mara51506
    edited March 2017
    Options

Oh Z, the scalp must be so uncomfortable for sure. I can empathize with that as mine was very sore just before my hair fell out. That was the worst for sure. I hope you can get out as well. Feel better soon.

I was able to fit in 2 ten minute stationary bike sessions. 2 miles of Leslie Sansone, one mile at a time. Her one mile walk is approximately 15 mins so 50 mins of cardio and some arm work with my free weights. Am happy with that.

On the good news front, turns out insurance will cover my mother's car for repairs so we won't have to pay a deductible or anything. Yay!

Hope everyone else is well and had a decent day.

• zarovka
    edited March 2017
    Options

Mara - You have deserved a break for a long time. I hope this is the beginning of a long string of them. Nice workout. Whenever I wonder how I can find the energy to workout, I think of you.

>Z<

• heidihill
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ronnie, hope your first day back at work was good! I hope your clients and customers spoiled you.

Gracie, I bet you didn't know you were doing high intensity interval training, or something like it, while doing laundry. Anything that gets your heart rate up...

Aoibheann, that sounds like a nice walk down to the harbor.

Z, with chemo all your hair falls out, but with letrozole, it's more like male pattern baldness. It gets very thin on top. I rocked both styles. My hair grew back on Tamoxifen though, thank goodness, but has never been the same.

Mara, great news on the insurance front. I also read a study when I started chemo that people who had been exercising regularly before treatment had an easier time. It was a bit too late for me but I figured since I was Stage IV it couldn't hurt to prepare for the next infusion or treatment, the latter once I got to NED. 

I agree that doctors should be prescribing physical therapy and activity as a cancer rehab plan. Exercise is medicine in my book.