Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hello ladies,

Good challenge this weekend! Made it to the middle of the pack by walking 2.5 miles and swimming a half mile yesterday. Using some paddles while swimming to build upper body strength. Yesterday was the last day of the Ibrance cycle and the exercise really helped with the fuzzy brain. (Especially after a long nap :-)

Hope you feel better soon Z! You are absolutely right...we should be exempt from viruses!!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hope you are on the mend Z, great job lwrite. Naps and exercise are our friends for sure.

I did 4 miles of Leslie sansone walking videos. I do NOT do 60 mins all at once. I like to do the 1.0 mile happy walk a few times a day. I even managed to multitask this by listening to her on my phone in one ear thru bluetooth earbuds and watch a TV program. Talent lol. I still felt energized.

Hope everyone else had a good day too.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mara - Holy C@#p! that's a lot of walking

I jogged 2.5 miles on the treadmill and lifted weights and called it a night. I tried to do some HIIT by sprinting for a couple minutes at a time, but it did not go well. Something is off. But I still got in a solid 40 minutes of cardio and I am quite sore.

>Z<

• Ronnie3001
    Ronnie3001 Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2017
    Options

I started to feel good (almost like myself) after getting my pain under control, thanks to a lot of advice I got from the ladies on this board! (thank you) I started water wellness classes and was feeling things were going in the right direction. I got a little ambitious this week and did Water Wellness (60 Min) and Stressless Strength (60 Min) on Monday. On Tuesday I completed a gentle strength class (60 min) by the end of the class my body was ache all over and I was extremely tired. It took everything to drive home and crawl into bed. I slept three hours before my husband came home from work and asked what was wrong.. I told him what had happened and the stark reminder that I am sick hits again.........Scared

I will never give up but this was a little reminder to take it easy and don't push to hard...arghhhhhhhhhh

Ronnie

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Ronnie - A good workout and long nap are incredibly healing. I am so glad that you found those gentle fitness classes. Exactly the way to start. You might try every OTHER day Loopy but whatever you do the effort will pay off. It takes tremendous courage to show up for these classes and workouts and give it a shot.

I jogged for 40 minutes. Wanted to go for 60 but I got a cramp. I just getting over some kind of a bug, so we take it as it comes. Still need to do my 30 minute yoga/abs series but the night is young.

My tracker is helpful in many respects, including keeping me humble. My jogging pace is 13 minutes per mile, which is DH's walking pace. Gets my heart rate into cardio range, so whatever works.

Keep moving everyone! What was your workout today? What are your plans for the week? How are you dealing all the c@#p and still getting it done?

>Z<

• iwrite
    edited February 2017
    Options

Half mile swim today after 3 miles of walking yesterday. Sore and achy, but still determined.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited February 2017
    Options

Seagan, for a while the elliptical was the only thing that did not cause me pain. As long as you are moving...it's good.

Iwrite and Mara, go, go, go! Shazza, open sea paddling sounds really tough. Will stick to our lake if I ever try it.

Ronnie, yes, it is all healing! 

Z, glad you are feeling better. I never check my heart beat, but maybe I should. I'm like the 105 year old French guy, not so much into tech. Counting steps is enough, or it has been so far.

• Ronnie3001
    edited February 2017
    Options

Z,

Thank you for all of your advice and encouragement! As you say lets keep moving!!

Ronnie

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Ronnie - with MBC, if you get out bed, you've won. Everything else is gravy. Your Physical Therapist is technically correct and trying to help, but it's hard to understand what it takes to exercise with MBC unless you tried it.

I just got out of bed and walked my daughter to school. Today is already a win. But I might like to get some weights in ...

>Z<

• Ronnie3001
    edited February 2017
    Options

Off to do 60 minutes of Water Wellness today, and then watch our 6 month old grandson for an hour!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Goodness. The second hour will be the most exercise!

>Z<

• heidihill
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hope you survived the hour, Ronnie.

Z, does your Fitbit tell you when you are in the cardio range or over it?

Here is another senior story from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/nyregion/jogging-running-new-york-city.html

She's been doing this for about 30 years! And it's so simple. It's not for everyone and she is missing upper body workouts but there is something to be said for consistency. I still have not reached a full hour of running, something like this could be my ticket.

Back to Body Jam at the gym last night after leaving DD behind with another family. Also did my yoga poses. Tonight there's a party to celebrate the re-opening of the studio. Maybe they'll have a disco!

• Ronnie3001
    edited February 2017
    Options

Ladies, I am considering purchasing a fit tracker and need your recommendations.. I had a Fit Bit but it was not accurate and became unreliable after just a few months. Have any of you had any success with another tracker? Today is Gentle Strength Class (60 Min), need to take this one slow...

Thanks

Ronnie

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Heidi - the Fitbit Charge 2, and all the fitbits that track heart rate, tell you your heart rate, not the zone. but it works really well.

Ronnie - I've been doing well with the new generation of fibits. I threw my old one away and pretty much gave up on fitbits for a while as they were crappy. Then I got one as a present for my daughter last fall and ended up getting one for the whole family as they work much better now.

>Z<

• Vevs
    Vevs Member Posts: 81
    edited February 2017
    Options

I've been reading the most recent posts and would love to join you. I've just completed a course of chemotherapy, previously I was doing Hiit training 3 times a week and walking 3-4 miles a day. I managed to continue the walking every day throughout the chemo, it was very tough. I also took up yoga, which I enjoy. On Wednesday I had the results of my ct which shows no active disease. My confidence following my mbc diagnosis has hit rock bottom so I am wary of joining a gym or any group activity at the moment. Any ideas as to how to build upper body strength? Not swimming as I have no hair, part of the confidence issue.Z invited me here, what a rock she has been and a font of knowledge

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited February 2017
    Options

I have only recently been told I was stage 4 but can tell you I have been a member of a fitness center since way before my original diagnosis. It has been my life saver in all of this. At my center they have lots of trainers to offer advise and support

Oh yeah, bunch of us survivors also and couple come in with scarfs or wigs

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Vevs Hi. If you can hike through chemo boy do we need you here. So glad you came.

The main thing I do for upper body strength is to work 5 or 6 sets of abq work into my daily yoga routine. Planks and push ups are actually ab work but of course they get your arms. Yoga takes care of the rest. When I do get to the gym, I hit the machines. I have some weights at home to do rows and military presses but I think therabands are awesome for home workouts.

HIIT training is incredibly healing. Wont bore you with studies but if you try it be ready to do a lot less then press cancer. Still extremely beneficial but it may be a humbling experience.

Z

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Regarding fitbits and monitoring heart rate, the Fitbit analytical tool tells you your time in each heart rate zone after the fact. During a workout I can look at the tracker on my wrist and see my heart rate. I know my zone I know what zone I am in.

20,000 steps today. Lying in dry sauna at the spa. No more steps planned. Oof.

Z

• mara51506
    edited February 2017
    Options

Wow Z, that is a lot of steps. Good job.

I did 45 mins of Leslie Sansone walk, broken up over the whole day with a couple of mile walks and a LOT of the 2 to 3 min mini walks. Those mini walks are awesome if you don't have time but want to feel perkier. Check youtube if you are not sure. Thank you to whoever pointed that out earlier. 20 min air climber workout for some arm work. Feeling good today.

Vevs welcome, lots of at home options available if you have equipment or don't. I like youtube a lot for free options, I know Xbox has fitness vids. My favourite is the Leslie Sansone walk (marching in place if you don't have room works just as well). Stationary bike and stepper round out my routine. I am the one who likes the short blurbs of exercise, 15 to 20 mins at a time. Sometimes as short as two to three minutes as well. Whatever works.

Also wanted to mention got results for my various scans. CT of brain and thorax stable, chest is stable. Abdomen to pelvis were not available as of Tuesday but since have not yet received a call to come back in, will assume that is stable too. Not having any problems with my abdominal area so not too concerned. Happy about my first scan to confirm NED from neck down and that the brain looks good after the whole brain radiation. Echo done as well, shows LVEF still normal. Unchanged since before treatment began 2015. Happy to continue Herceptin/Perjeta.

Good job everyone.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mara - I was wondering how your scans looked, glad they are awesome. Time to settle in for the long haul and enjoy life. Your exercise routine has certainly gotten impressive. If you look back on your post where you were a few months ago...

Keep moving ladies ... it's really impressive what you all do.

>Z<

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2017
    Options

Great news Mara, and welcome Vevs and proudtospin

I've had a good few days of long runs and increased planking. Lots of walking too. And it feels like I'm working out during the night with all those damn sweats!!!

Thinking of you all. Proud of your resolve.

Punch on!!!

• heidihill
    edited February 2017
    Options

Wonderful news, Mara! Great job, whatever it is you're doing, keeping your LVEF stable.

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2017
    Options

Great news on your scans, Mara! Good scan results are always something to cheer about!

And speaking of cheers - Cheers to you, Z on your weekwork hustle Fitbit challenge! You are a rock star what with 20,000 steps in a single day!

I have such a hard time fitting in stuff on work weeks since I am in the midst of busy season at work and I taught two evening yoga classes this week. Then, to top it off, my husband was out of town so I had all the house chores on my own too. I managed my step goal each day, but it was a determined effort. I'm grateful we had the challenge though, or I would probably not have worked to make it happen. I'm hoping to make up some ground this weekend! It's beautiful here in Minnesota today. Supposed to hit close to 60 degrees! This is not normal for Minnesota but I'll take it! Enjoy your weekend everyone!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Covered a lot of ground last week, considering I am just finishing my 3rd week on ibrance. Taking it easy this weekend. May ski tomorrow.

>Z<

• mara51506
    edited February 2017
    Options

30 mins of leslie sansone walking. I did 1 mile without weights and 15 mins worth with 4 lb weights. I use the 2 to 3 minute mini walks for the heavier weight. Will get your heart rate up nice. Don't feel the need for anything else so going to take it easy.

Z enjoy it if you ski. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• iwrite
    edited February 2017
    Options

Good afternoon! 70 and sunny in mid February! I worked in the yard yesterday and took a lon walk today...being outside is wonderful! Then decided I'm not cleaning and scrubbing the house this week and called the cleaning ladies. My quarterly treat :). I'm ignoring the look that says you're not working so why are you not cleaning...

Sending a big shout out to all those who have children at home while managing this dx and treatments. It takes extrastrength every day and I admire you!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Kathryn - I don't work and I have a cleaning lady come twice a week. No looks from me.

>Z<

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

I took the weekend off but today i jogged for 40 minutes, 3.5 miles. I did the 12 Yoga Poses. I did my abs. The last few days have been a bit rough so the days off were really necessary. Day 21 of Ibrance was yesterday, so this is my first day off. Painfully stiff, low energy, weird rashes, painful scalp. I am very close to insisting on lowering my dose. On my jog, I felt like I was pulling a rock. But man does that yoga series make a huge and immediate difference in pain, energy level and of course perspective. And worst of the side effects are gone.

What are your plans for getting some exercise this week?

Keep moving, whatever you enjoy doing. In the end matters little what exactly you do. Just move.

>Z<

• heidihill
    edited February 2017
    Options

Z, if you can slog it through with yoga, good. If Quality of Life has really suffered, it is OK to ask for a dose reduction, too. At least they know where you're at.

I lifted a ton of weights last night, something I don't necessarily enjoy doing but felt I had to do. I am so glad I did it and will go again tonight. It's like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders, most likely from doing a number of lat pulldowns and cleans and presses. I've been having some breathing problems which would get better with exercise for about a month now. I was starting to suspect it had to do with very late radiation side effects, with muscle tissue hardening or doing something around my lungs. Somehow with all the contractions from lifting, something was released inside and my breathing was completely normal today. What a relief!  

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Heidi- that is an amazing result from weight lifting... but not surprising. Go back tonight!

On my way to Arizona to see my complementary onc in person and possibly pickle my tumors with IV curcumin. Fun little adventure... or so I hope.

Z