Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IV MBC Fitness

Options

Comments

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2017
    Options

Gracie - there are two ways to interact with the fitbit community. either through the fitbit app on your phone or by logging into the fitbit.com website. each of those platforms gives you different functionality. the fitbit device talks to your phone through blue tooth. if you just setup the app, it sets up the connection to the fitbit tracker on your wrist. The phone then talks to the internet and transmits your data to the fitbit.com site on the web.

if you mess around on the website and in the app, eventually you stumble into the community functions. as long as you are in your accounts on those platforms, you will eventually figure it out.

Went for a 2.5M walk today and got my steps in. Never even broke into the cardio heart rate zone. Will do yoga and abs while my daughter swims tonight. Light day after running saturday and sunday.

Mara - It is quite amazing what we are all doing while on these difficult treatment regimes. And no one more than you. I hope you are well. Any workout plans for this week?

>Z<

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,132
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks Z! I am doing more of the Leslie Sans one walking videos. I can do the 1 mile in full. I also like her 2, 3 or 5 min videos. No equipment needed and if no room, marching is still a good burn. I still do my stepper workouts. Those are about 20 mins. In total, I get anywhere from 30 to 60 mins of exercise. I always do shorter rounds, no more than 20 mins each. I have not felt better since July. My current treatment is also pretty easy for me which is lucky. I have scans this Friday, so hoping I am still NED below the head to stay on the Herceptin/Perjeta combo. My hat comes off for you, and the others taking the hormonal/AI since they seem to have more SE. We are all amazing people!

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mara, indeed we are all pretty amazing! I was showing my husband the results of the weekend Fitbit challenge, and I said, "would you believe that all of these people have MBC?" He was very impressed! Got my 35 minutes of run/walk outside, and I'm going to do a little gentle yoga before bed. Tried push-ups, but today is just not a push up day. Some days just aren't, but we keep trying.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mara - I am sure you will be NED in the scans. It is a real pleasure to see you get your strength back.

I did my yoga practice this evening and felt a bit of my old self between the aches and pains. Sometimes things do get better despite the mess we're in.

>Z<

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2017
    Options

Inspiring all of you.

I've been running as usual and now trying to incorporate push-ups, sit-ups and planking in my daily activities. Had the stop watch on with the planking. Embarrassing outcome.....but, a routine has started and that's the biggest part of the battle IMHO.

Great to hear everyone's efforts, we should stand tall (if a little battered by circumstance...)

💪

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hmm. It's 2:30 pm here an I just woke up. I tweaked my meds a bit over the weekend and I am getting the most fantastic naps... I haven't been short on sleep per say, but just a little wire for a long time.

If anyone is up for a napping competition this week, I am in. Fitbit recorded 14 hours of sleep and 400 steps today so far. Boo yeah.

>Z<

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi ladies,

I went offline for a few days for Dr appointments (still stable thank goodness). Plus its the third week on Ibrance which is always foggy. Charging my fitbit now for the next challenge. I got up to 4th place for about 5 minutes before plummeting to the bottom. I did walk for an hour on Saturday and hit 10k steps for the first time in one day...paid for it Sunday :-)

Back into the fray tomorrow! Thanks for initiating the challenge...I worked harder because of it.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Way to go Kathryn! I ended up in like 6th place even though I ran 6 miles last weekend. It's a tough crowd.

>Z<

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mara, good luck on the scans! Congrats on the virgin 10K steps, Iwrite.

Z, that's amazing on the 200lb leg press. I would crush some body part if I were to try that. I guess I should have mentioned that, unlike you, I was starting from a very low strength base before diagnosis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/well/move/lessons-on-aging-well-from-a-105-year-old-cyclist.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fhealth&action=click&contentCollection=health&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

I do like reading about the things really old people can do. Gives me hope.

Last night was salsa night and was so much fun. For the first time I had the sensation of flying while dancing. It felt like my feet were barely touching the ground. I guess this is how Usain Bolt must feel.

• mara51506
    edited February 2017
    Options

Wow, that guy's awesome Heidi. Even if we don't live to 105, even with a leisurely pace, cycling is awesome. Indoors or outdoors. I prefer indoors but it is awesome to do. Good for him. Thank you for the article. I like reading what older people can do.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

The NYT also has a series of articles on short workouts ... 20 minutes or less of intense exercise. The point is that you can get a lot of benefit out of a 10 or 20 minute workout, and even a 1 or 2 minute workout.

This is one article on the topic and it has links to the series.

I like reading about the 105 year old cyclist. VO2 Max is an interesting thing. Our local university has a sports medicine clinic that will measure your VO2 Max and your actual aerobic thresholds from a stress test. If you like data, it's a good experience and provides a useful benchmark of fitness. I am sure can find similar services at universities near you.

>Z<

• mara51506
    edited February 2017
    Options

Had a decent day. Did 2 of the 1 mile happy mile vids off youtube. (Leslie Sansone walking) 30 mins total today for that. Did them a few hours apart too. Did air climber workouts as well, 15 mins each so wound up with approx an hour throughout the day. Feels good.

Z that is an interesting article. I really like the shorter bursts of exercise though I would not always say I do intense level. The walking videos are pretty intense and do bring my heart rate up a good amount, I also happen to enjoy them. They are more effort than the stepper workouts, though I like the core and arm work I can do with that one. What I am doing makes me feel better and eat better as well. Better appetite. All in all, happy.

Good job everyone.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Tired today. Walked for an hour in the woods and did my weight lifting and abs. Lots of errands. Somehow got 13,000 steps in but zero cardio. Energy was flat but I moved a bit.

Mara - Great workouts. Those videos are just the ticket for the long canadian winter. HIIT is an option, but not necessary. You are improving weekly so what you are doing is working. It's interesting that you picked up on the improvement in your eating. Such an important signal.

Keep moving ladies. And tell us about it.

>Z<

• GracieM2007
    GracieM2007 Member Posts: 1,255
    edited February 2017
    Options

I won't be on much this weekend, my daughter is actually coming home for the weekend. Will talk to you all later

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Enjoy the family time Gracie! Talk to you next week.

>Z<

• mara51506
    edited February 2017
    Options

Have a good visit Gracie!

Managed 3 miles of my leslie sansone walking vids. Of course, did them 1 mile at a time throughout the day. Felt accomplished.

Hope everyone else had a good day too.

• Apg
    Apg Member Posts: 112
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm going to have to check out those videos! I did Zumba again last night, boy was I wore out by the end of the hour. Felt like I couldn't raise my arms. I can't wait till spring to get out and walk and exercise outdoors! Hope everyone has a good weekend!!!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

My Fitbit clocked 12 hours of sleep today. Didn't actually get out of bed until 4pm. Feels healing like I am letting go of some stress that kept me from sleeping. Now I am sleeping a lot to make up for it.

But it is particularly important to move a bit when I am sleeping like this. I got a walk in. I got my yoga/ab routine done. to my surprise, I squeaked past my daily goal of 8,000 steps just as I got into bed. Pretty good since I was at 1000 steps at 4pm.

The excessive sleeping feels like progress healthwise, although weird as well. This whole business is weird. Taking it as it comes.

Hoping to get a run in tomorrow to warm up for another big Weekend Warrior mashup with all the fitbit folks.

Nice workouts Apg, Mara and everyone.

>Z<

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mara, 3 miles is awesome! Z, 7,000 after 4 pm, too! Apg, wish we could Zumba together. I am missing all my classes. Hopefully the construction work will be finished at the gym by the time I get back from ski holidays. We are driving off to the Alps tonight along with many other families with school-age children. Salsa and tango classes will also only resume in two weeks.

We must have a lot of sports nuts here or lots of sports injuries. One private sports clinic here has 6 different locations in the city. They charge $350 to check your VO2 max. I'll probably wait on that. Or find someplace cheaper. Maybe even in France (to the centenarian's doctor?) where things are way more reasonable.

Had a long walk with my sister, going from shop to shop and cafe to cafe.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Heidi - Here at our university sports clinic, it's $75 to get your VO2Max measured. You can get a package which includes all kinds of other interesting tests for $150.

How cool to be able to zip off to the alps with family and friends. Someday I will ski the alps with my daughters and then drop back into the city to stroll the shops and cafe's. You guys have it good. Today we hit the local ski hill behind our house for a couple hours. Not Chamonix, but a whole lot closer. Hoping for a run and some yoga later.

>Z<

• dghoff
    edited February 2017
    Options

Z- glad that you are getting the needed sleep. Nothing restores the body like good, solid sleep!

Mara- thanks for the tip on the Leslie Sansone videos! I tried her 30 minute Power Walk one the other day, and it was great! It gave me a lot of good ideas for when it is not nice enough to walk outside.  This weekend is supposed to be warm though, so I'm hoping to get lots of outdoor exercise.

Fitbit Friends - I tried one of the Fitbit "Adventures" today.  I did the 3.1 mile New York City walk.  It was kind of cool as it pops up different landmarks at various points and gives you a little bit of a "goal" to work towards.  I might try one of the longer ones this weekend.

I've managed to make my step goal and "active minutes" goal six days in a row.  I was so grateful for the Wednesday challenge as I KNOW I would not have done it otherwise that day. I had a busy day and had to really work to fit it in, but I made the time for it, and I am always so glad when I do as I always feel better having moved my body. 

I have finally relented and admitted that I am not yet ready for Russian style pushups.  I can rock five of them with my knees on the ground, so I'm going to build up from there and shoot for a good ten and then see where I can go with it.  Baby steps.

Enjoy your weekend, Gracie -  and everyone else too!

• MSL
    MSL Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2017
    Options

You guys are cracking along at a great pace, well done. It's particularly good to see how exercise and moving builds - each of us are doing more and more (sometimes without realising it, but it's clear to see from the posts) and feeling good about ourselves.

My task for tomorrow is to get a Fitbit and join you all, especially after reading your experience with the activities DGHoff. Once again, thanks Z for your organisation and foresight.

Nothing sounds as good however as popping between the alps and cafes Heidihill, we are with you in our dreams!

I've had a solid week, running and walking a lot. I'm happy that I've incorporated the push-ups etc. and while I'm not breaking any records I'm building slowly and am beginning to feel more strength in my upper body. Thanks to everyone for pushing us to have goals for this year.

Punch on ladies

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    edited February 2017
    Options

everyone is doing so well keeping up the activity levels. There has been a problem with all my organised activities this week so I've ended up doing a Lesley Sansone 3 mile every week day. It was outside on the weekend to enjoy the summer weather though. Saturday was a coastal walk of about 8 kms with friends we took a picnic and swam in the sea. Today was a 2 hour paddle board the last half battling a strong head wind, rain and a tide that wasn't moving in our favour. I got far more of a workout than I was anticipating with that one.

Keep up the good work people.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Not feeling well this weekend. Nausea, fatigue. Hope its a bug that will pass. Holding the bottom for y'all in the Weekend Warrior Step Challenge at the moment.

>Z<

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hope you feel better soon Z!

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

A little better. Ran 4 miles, walked one mile. Hangin in.

>Z<

• dghoff
    edited February 2017
    Options

wow z! I don't think I could run four miles even if I felt awesome. Glad you are feeling better and hope it continues.

I'm more tired than usual this weekend, but still moving. Lots of yoga and walking.

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Did my yoga and some abs. Looking forward to feeling a bit less crappy, but all signs suggest I am not dead yet.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Keep moving. It helps even when you feel bad, as I can attest personally.

Damn bugs. Isn't cancer enough?

>Z<

• seagan
    seagan Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2017
    Options

Fitness question for you all: Is the elliptical good as a weight-bearing exercise for bone health? It's been my main form of exercise for years, but a physical therapist recently told me it wasn't as good for bones as walking or running. But I've read elsewhere that it is, even if it's low impact. What say you, wise Stage Vers?

• zarovka
    edited February 2017
    Options

Seagan - Eliptical may not be the best thing for your bones but it is good for getting cardio without hurting your joints. If running or walking hurts your joints and stops you from exercising then eliptical, swimming are all awesome. The first priority is to keep moving and you can't do that if you are hurting yourself.

There is a yoga sequence that has been posted a couple of times on this thread that strengthens your bones. Weight lifting and resistance training strengthens your bones. If you can find something you like to add to your routine that helps your bones and doesn't injure you, it's probably a good idea.

However, I try not to get hung up on finding the perfect exercise routine. The best routine is the routine that you do consistently. Eliptical is awesome. The difference between doing something and doing nothing is so huge that the little refinements we make aren't that important.

>Z<