Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2017

Options

Comments

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks Greeneyes, trying to stay positive and hopeful. Spoke to the MO today who is having someone take another look at the liver imaging, she is 99% certain it is just a cyst. I’m also having a bone scan done on Friday now. Good luck for tomorrow!

• GreenEyes81
    GreenEyes81 Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2017
    Options

You as well! Hugs!

• suburbs
    suburbs Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2017
    Options

houmom and Greeneyes81, sending positive thoughts and hoping for a good outcome for you both. Please keep us posted.

• GreenEyes81
    GreenEyes81 Member Posts: 66
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks, it turned out to be a prior biopsied fibroadenoma that has grown. Anyone else still feel a lack of joy with that type of news? Its like I just instantly thing, what are they missing? Instead of excited relief. Its just ok, whats next then. Having surgery on my thyroid next Thursday which has caused numerous symtoms of feeling like crap. Maybe I will find joy after that is taken care of. PS will then also let me move forward with recon.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2017
    Options

I got my surgery date, March 2nd, yay! Bilateral DIEP.

• suburbs
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi all. Just checking in here to see how everyone is doing and report on stage 2. I'm almost 2 weeks out from stage 2 revision and off the Tylenol and Motrin. I'm still swollen and can't really see and difference after the surgery other than the bruising which is everywhere. Anyway, I have my sutures removed Monday. Anyway, I hope everyone is healing well. I look forward to becoming active again as this forced period of inactivity has me a bit down. I guess that's normal.

• valw
    valw Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Stage 2 result much smaller and uneven. Need some advice from ladies who finished Stage 2 revisions, please. Just had (SGAP) Stage 2 revision. I am in shock because just saw new breasts. Discussed C/D cup size with surgeon with upper pole fullness. These are small flat, one is an almost B cup, the other is an A cup, both with nothing on top half of breast. Flat upper chest. Only fullness on lower pole of breast. Was a lifelong natural C or C+ cup and wanted C+ or D.

So disappointed. Haven't seen surgeon for the post-op visit yet. How can tell him that I can't believe that this is the result? Breast mounds after Stage 1 were both full C cups and lipofilling was supposed to increase that. What on earth can have happened and can this be fixed? There was fat necrosis on one side. Could the PS have whittled down the breasts because of removing the fat necrosis? I thought the lipofilling would replace the necrosis. Anyone come out much smaller and uneven in their Stage 2 revision? Do PS get upset if you are unhappy with the result? Any advice on how to approach this, ladies?

• Moxie1
    Moxie1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

Has anyone had a mastectomy and diep flap to hopefully prevent a Phyllodes tumor from returning? My tumor was borderline malignant. Surgery is scheduled for 12/27/17.

Are there recommendations for clothes, pillows, tools, etc. to ease recovery?

Moxie1

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited December 2017
    Options

valw- you should definitely ask what on earth happened when you see PS. Where did you have it done/who did the surgery? Maybe some others on the board also went there/saw him and could shed some light on it.

Moxie- a recliner is often recommended for sleeping in (lifesaver for me & we had to go out and buy one as we didn’t own one), button up shirts, yoga pants with wide waist band

• Rlsteadman
    Rlsteadman Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2017
    Options

I am 4 weeks post-op Stage 2 DIEP and have some questions. I noticed this week I have a bulge above and a little to the left of my reconstructed belly button. Not sure if it's from the liposuction or not. I think it might be a hernia. don't remember noticing it until this week. Also my pelvic area is still pretty firm. Has anyone done ultrasound or lymphatic massage? My abdomen is still sore if pressure is applied. I also feel the nipples on the reconstructed breast and the other breast that had a lift and fat grafting are not in the same position. Just wonder how much the breasts will change over time. Has anyone else needed additional work and would insurance cover it? I am having a tattooed aerola in February

• suburbs
    edited December 2017
    Options

Rlsteadman, yes, I have been seeing a physical therapist certified in lymphatic massage as well as an oncological masseuse. Both have been extremely helpful and kept me going during my low points. The physical therapy is covered by insurance. The script was issued by my plastic surgeon's nurse. It's important to find a physical therapist who understands lymphedema and has some years of experience, in my opinion.

Valv, bring someone with you when you see your PS. It's a lot more difficult to dismiss concerns when there is an audience. It's your body and your life do say what you must to the PS.

• DiDiT
    DiDiT Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2017
    Options

jumping on here - in New Orleans today. Consult with Dr Allen and Dr Blum at the center for restorative breast surgery. Pre-meet, I actually have a better feel for Dr Allen - any advice pro/con for either?

• Lula73
    edited December 2017
    Options

DiDiT- are you on the Facebook NOLA thread? You will get more responses there. PM me if you want to be added to that group

• aquilegia
    aquilegia Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2017
    Options

I had Stage 2 surgery this morning with fat grafting, a minor breast lift, and abdominal dog ear removal. PS talked me out of breast reduction - he said just moving the nipple up a half inch would provide decent symmetry and the breasts weren't different enough in size or droop for it to be worth scarring the natural breast. I'll see what it looks like when I can shower in 48 hours. PS said I'd probably need a second round of fat grafting.

Aside from a sore throat from the breathing tube and sore hips where the lipo was done, I'm feeling OK. Slept all afternoon - just tylenol for pain.

• Lula73
    edited December 2017
    Options

DiDiT- yes you did block PMs somehow. Try this link:

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php

• suburbs
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi aqulegia. Sounds like you are doing pretty good if Tylenol is working. I am two weeks out and still struggling with swelling. I had my stitches taken out yesterday, a painless exercise since there is no feeling there. Hope you get the results you were looking for. I am still on the fence and can't really tell if stage 2 worked. All the best

• aquilegia
    aquilegia Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2017
    Options

Suburbs - I can relate to the uncertainty about the Phase 2 outcome. My DIEP breast looks better- the concavity near my sternum is gone (at least for now) and the breast is a bit plumper. But my "good" breast is a mess - all the PS did was move the nipple/areola up a few cm and it really wreaked havoc. Lots of blood under the skin and a good-sized swelling (hematoma?) on one side which is pushing the nipple at an angle.

Lipo is brutal - I can't imagine doing it for weight loss! The PS had me in an abdominal binder (tool of satan) and ace bandages around my thighs. The wraps were so painful, I quickly ditched them for tight bike shorts. I'm still making do with Tylenol, but it isn't pleasant.

• StarlitMomMom
    StarlitMomMom Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2017
    Options

working so hard on positivity... limited success.☹️ I couldn’t get my skin grafts done to my flaps ( which were debrided over a week ago to prep for skin grafting). I had a 102 f fever at surgical evaluation. I ended up finding out that night that I got C diff from the Keflex ordered prior to surgery.

Very super sad here. Can’t have grand kids or anyone over til I have the energy to disinfect everything. My husband can’t sleep with me or use the same bathrooom☹️😷 I have major open wounds where the team surgically debrided that I will have to manage myself for close to three weeks....I have to return to work to keep my job and it will b WITH the covered hamburger like open wounds. 😢. I think I have the care details, my ps is a moist wound adherent so shower 2x a day protecting the flaps from direct spray, wet half a roll of gauze with saline and purified water lightly place and gently loose wrap the flaps with wetted guaze, cover with large cotton pad, zip the whole thing into the surgical vest...repeat before bed.

Like is this going to prevent infection for three weeks? Oh, I am just super sad and scared. Cancer and treatment, no matter how early caught, just isn’t easy to deal with. What do you all think of me working with these open surgical wounds that can’t be grafted now for three weeks? One large wide open one, 5 x6 inches one small but very deep ( an inch in) and two med wounds?

I am wearing a meat vest without intent. So far all is okay. How long can that last? Freaked out a bit with my husband here....

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2017
    Options

Star, I can totally sympathize with your wound care nightmare. I had a very large open wound (the entire lower incision of my flap did not adhere together you could see the entire flap all the way to the chest wall). I had to saline pack it for over 8 weeks then another 3.5 weeks on a wound vac. I was able to keep all the infections away from the wound by soaking the gauze with saline and keeping it covered. I was lucky that I did not have to go to work. It will not be easy but it is doable. Praying that you may be able to have your surgery in the next few weeks and start healing

Many HUGS

• suburbs
    edited December 2017
    Options

Starlitmom, oh dear. In light of these setbacks, I applaud you for trying to stay positive. That's a whole lot of stuff to deal with all at once. There is no doubt that we become experts in bandages and even develop preferences. I think 3M medipore dress-it adhesive covers are the greatest thing ever. Sending healing thoughts and I hope you get better soon and have your skin grafts. Take care

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2017
    Options

RLSteadman - if you are unhappy about position of nipples, postpone tattoos. The breast will continue to change over time. You should discuss with PS.

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2017
    Options

I went to dentist today. Dental assistant told me that 2 of her friends had double mastectomies and flap surgeries at a surgery center as an outpatient procedure. Has anyone else heard of this?

• Lula73
    edited December 2017
    Options

maybe the mx part as outpatient (although I personally think that’s nuts) but not the initial harvest & transfer step

• GagasDaughter
    GagasDaughter Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2017
    Options

starlitmom: I am praying for a speedy recovery and that you have plenty of support around you. That is a lot to deal with at once.

On a separate note, I had stage 1 on the 18th and came home last night. The only glitches were anemia that required a transfusion and a plugged drain that led to the start of a hematoma in my right noob (lucky for me, my super astute nurse caught it early enough that PS was able to remove the drain, suction it at the bedside and insert a wick, and it drained overnight). Haven't really seen myself in a mirror yet, so can't really comment on how I look yet.

My question is about back pain. Since I started getting up to move around more, my lower back has literally been going into tight spasms. It doesn't help that I walk like Quasimodo! How long after Stage 1 were you guys able to stand up fully? Also, were there any back exercises given to you? Aside from Motrin and a heating pad, is there anything else I can do?

Wishing all my sisters here a very Merry Christmas.

• suburbs
    edited December 2017
    Options

Gagasdaughter, thankfully you had a great nurse. Nurses are special people. Good news that you are home. I had 2 transfusions after surgery and was on a pain pump for two days then narcotic pain killers for a couple weeks. Because of the pain pills, I did not have back pain. Maybe you need something stronger than Motrin. Just a thought. Other than breathing exercises and frequent small walks around the house, no additional exercises were recommended. Standing up straight differs for everyone. It gets better everyday but the changes can be small so nothing like DIEP surgery to demand patience and gentle movement. I think the difficulties of this surgery are not and cannot be fully appreciated prior to surgery. There is so much hurry up and wait involved in reconstruction. I wish you a speedy recovery. All the best

• StarlitMomMom
    StarlitMomMom Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2017
    Options

JBDayton, You just made me cry, I had no idea people were dealing with these sorts of wounds and living their days/nights. Thank you so much for sharing. I was afraid to log in as I just wasn't sure anyone would have responded.

I am okay, the wounds are as of yet not appearing to be at risk of infection, although (this is going to sound gross, it is) I do have what is either dead muscle or dead fat in the very corner of my wide open left flap looks a lot like a meatball--it is brownish, has no discharge, pain or sign of infection and underneath it appears to be some new piece of flesh trying to make an entrance. My PS's PA says not to worry, and that anything that needs further debriding at skin graft will be done. OMG, wide open stuff makes me feel so vulnerable. I guess it is more common, gaining more momentum to keep wounds open until they can be properly closed at the "right time."

The crisis of the week was the day before I was going back to work, Thursday. Was feeling better, stronger--went to the basement to prep for shower, got my towels from the dryer, one of my gauze packings was hanging out of my surgical vest, I guess, it tugged out JUST A BIT and blood gushed like I have never had it gush--down my legs, on the floor, soaking through all dressings.

I got pressure on it right away, freaked completely out imagining dying alone from bleeding out :0 couldn't figure out how to get it to stop, so I called the paramedics and went pretty much naked wrapped in a bloody bathrobe and my blanket, covered by their lovely linens as well. PS had the ER doc evaluate, it was determined it was a good thing because I am building "granular tissue" that has a rich supply of blood and is primed for the skin grafting now scheduled sooner, Jan 2nd, praise be. This recon is not for the weak of heart or spirit, huh?

It happened again last night as I didn't wet the dressings enough before gently unrolling. My husband was home, I worked to remain calm, pressure--laid down--and it did stop and I could remove pressure and continue wound cleaning within about five minutes. I have learned a lot about vulnerability, you know? I don't know why I ignored the DIEP complications when planning for surgery. I haven't had a lot, but those I have had are scary and difficult--I don't know I was prepared to handle two or three surgeries within weeks of my "big" UMX and DIEP flap surgery. I am so grateful the abdominal incision healed perfectly, the belly button is healing and looking okay.....thank you again, my husband and I actually thought we'd walk out of the hospital after the major surgery and a six day stay, head home for three or four weeks of recovery, and wait four or five months for the stage two and voila' all is well and done. :) I am both vulnerable and gaining new strength I didn't know I had.....

• Lula73
    edited December 2017
    Options

gagasdaughter- on the back pain, make sure you're placing 1 or 2 pillows under your knees when you're in bed or sitting with your feet up. It's a big strain on your back without them.On standing up straight, it will be a while and you'll find you can stand just a little straighter everyday. In the meantime keep your shoulders back and try not to hunch anything forward except at the waist. On pain in general from the surgery, (saw your post on another thread where you said it was the worst pain of your life), make sure you stay ahead of the pain. It is a given that you will have pain this soon after surgery. Take your prescription pain meds on a schedule at this point and don’t wait on the pain to start before taking them. After about 10 days after surgery you should be able to reduce the dosage and timing until you’re just taking 1 at bedtime with Motrin/Tylenol during the day and eventually taking nothing.

• GagasDaughter
    GagasDaughter Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2017
    Options

thanks for the recommendations. I failed to mention that I have the amazing OnQ pain balls with about one more day’s supply of anesthesia in them (BTW: for anyone who has yet to undergo stage 1, I would strongly recommend asking about this option, as I have had practically zero pain in my noobs since surgery, even while the PS was “mucking around” with a suction device at my bedside). I weaned off IV opioids two days before dc, and came home on Percocet and Motrin (the Percocet doesn’t do much for the back pain, though). I learned the hard way about not keeping Up with my pain meds, so I am on a strict schedule. I found my grandfather’s old heating pad, which seems to be helping more than anything else.

Guess this overachiever is just going to have to learn to sit back, put her feet up, and chill for a while.

• Mememee
    Mememee Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2017
    Options

rent a hospital bed. It will make getting in and out of bed at home easier and much more comfortable for sleeping up right. It was the best thing I did ahead of my surgery. I had a double mastectomy with DIEP flip reconstruction during the same surgery. Good luck with your surgery.

• Rlsteadman
    Rlsteadman Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2017
    Options

Got my CT scan back and I don’t have an abdominal hernia. I have a lump and soreness after Stage 2 abdominal liposuction and fat grafting. Doctor said it should hopefully resolve itself with time.It is a relief since I am leaving for Florida next week. I am looking forward to getting out of the cold weather. Hoping that 2018 will be a better year for us all!