Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2017

Options

Comments

• suburbs
    suburbs Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2017
    Options
    RLsteadman, that is good news on ruling out a hernia. You are not alone. Like you I still have swelling and lumps after stage 2 plus a couple of weeping spots on the abdominal stitches. So, I am trussed up like a turkey with gauze and tape. Hope you get some relief soon. Enjoy the warm weather.
  • jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2017
    Options

As 2017 is coming to a close, I am sending special prayers to everyone who has shared in this group. We have many who have completed their reconstructions and have moved on, some who are still dealing with either complications or revisions and some who have just started the process but we all have something in common, we are fighting cancer and we love each other as sisters.

I want to thank everyone for all the support I received through the past 4 years. I hope this thread can still help our 2017 sisters get the support they need to complete all stages of their reconstruction. I really want to see everyone get the final results they want and help along the way, if needed.

I will be keeping this thread in my active list and hope to read about the good, or the bad, in your future. I personally know the disappointment of revisions that do not get the results you want. I also know there are many things that can be fixed by a good PS but I also know some things cant be fixed by even the finest PS. I am content, but not thrilled, with my final results at this time. I will someday get a permanent tattoo to replace my faded out one, but not ready yet. Patience is the name of the game.

I also have symmetry issueswith my abdomen that I might try to have fixed in the future. I will pursue cosmetic surgery for this, but use a surgeon familiar with DIEP and Ruben flap surgeries.

I so enjoy hearing from everyone with their joys though. I am a firm believer this is the best reconstruction option if you can do it. You can't beat the 99% success rate.

HUGS and Happy New Year 2018.

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2017
    Options

jbdayton: I want to thank you for your sage advice on this thread! I am also from the 2014 thread. I just had Stage 2 in October. It will be 3 months on 1/2. I meet with PS on 1/2. I am not happy with the results, but I am done with surgeries. I am still healing very slowly -- I am alive. I want to thank you and all the ladies on the thread. I will continue to be active to share any information. Hugs to all the women on this thread! Best wishes for a happy, healthier and pain-free 2018! Knowledge is power. No question is is too small to ask!XO Lisa

• FaithWalker22
    FaithWalker22 Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good morning and Happy New Year! I just wanted to check in and let you all know how I'm doing. I'm three weeks after surgery and recovery is still going amazingly well! I'm walking more I started OT last week and I am excited about my future. I tell myself every day I'm getting stronger and stronger.

Having said that, I still have every day concerns. The DIEP scars on the hip and boobs—My body has always held scars for a long time so I'm not sure if these will ever go away. My new boobs are smaller than my original ones. I knew that would happen before I had the surgery. I didn’t have enough tissue for a D. Even though I knew it, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I miss my old girls. I wonder if the downsize will be noticeable to others. I still can't lay down all the way and sometimes I feel like my incision is doing something funky but its not. I have to remind myself that it's my body getting used to this new phase. I also get that weird sensation where I can feel hot/cold drinks in my boobs. Crazy! I'm told that eventually goes away or I'll get used to it.

No matter what, I will not dwell on the less than positive things and let cancer take away my confidence and enthusiasm for living life. If I do that, cancer wins. And in my world, cancer can never win.

I'm hoping I will begin regular exercise in a couple of weeks but until then I will continue doing my stretches and take time to love my new body! I am so glad I had the surgery and I am looking forward to 2018 and beyond! 😊

• FirstGrade2017
    FirstGrade2017 Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2018
    Options

Ok, I had a BMX in 2015 from Cowden's Syndrome and strong family history. I didn't so reconstruction at first for many reasons. I am now considering and really wanting reconstruction. I am seeing a PS on Jan 17th. I have been doing my own research and really love the DIEP route. I have enough skin for two breasts, I also have no desire for nipple recon. My question is can this be done in one surgery? I am a teacher and am looking at having it done over the summer. I know the surgery will be rough but with all the crap I have been through these past 3 years having preventative surgeries and going through cancer treatment, I know I can handle it. I am 35 and ready to feel whole again.

Thank you all for any advice you can give me.

• Runrcrb
    Runrcrb Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2018
    Options

FirstGrade2017 - it's my understanding that DIEP can only be done once - so, yes, expect the plastic surgeon to do both breasts. In my early discussions with my PS, double reconstruction via DIEP is ~10-12 hour surgery requiring two surgeons and advance (many months) reserving of the OR/surgeon time. If you talk to one in Jan, you will probably need to also get on the schedule if you are targeting an early summer surgery.

I had single mastectomy and just had my DIEP flap surgery 3 weeks ago. I was physically fit going into to cancer and maintained decent fitness through the last 18 months. I say this because I believe it contributed to recovery. My DIEP surgery was ~5 hours; after one night in the ICU, I spent one more in the hospital. Nothing stronger than Tylenol after the first 24 hours. Once my doc unhooked the flap monitor, I went home (<48 hours total in the hospital). Two drains out at one week, last one out at 10 days. No healing problems, slow movement for a while, breast is still swollen but less so and I'm aware of my abdomen when I forget and sit up directly from lying on my back. I expect to start physical therapy in 2-3 weeks, hope to be running and swimming within the next month, and will be back in the office before the end of January.

Good luck

• aquilegia
    aquilegia Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2018
    Options

Faithwalker - I also show scars a lot, particularly on the paler parts of my body. I read on a "tummy tuck" site that scars look the worst at 3 months post-surgery, then start to fade. The final result won't be clear for many months or even a year. Mine are beginning to be less purple on my abdomen 6 months after DIEP and the breast scars are almost faded.

My DIEP breast was a size smaller (C) than my other, but the PS bulked it up in Stage 2 with fat grafting so it's about the same size. Remains to be seen how much will persist. I actually hope I'll lose a bit of the grafted fat, as my DIEP breast feels overinflated - I haven't been this firm since age 15 :-).

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2018
    Options

FirstGrade2017 I had DIEP on both breasts in September. I think my surgery was about 8 hours, with two surgeons. I was in ICU 3 days, I think flap monitors for 2. I feel almost completely back to normal; it's just the abdomen is still tight. My PS doesn't recommend physical therapy unless necessary. I have no need for nipples so didn't get them, either.

Faithwalker Glad you are doing so well. I have two marvelous scars, too, but I'm not very self-conscious about them. It takes time.

• FirstGrade2017
    FirstGrade2017 Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2018
    Options

thank you all for the responses. I am feeling more confident about my decision

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2018
    Options

My surgery is set for March 2nd, still curious about the scars. I saw photos at my consult but I really couldn't tell. I'll be having bilateral and one side will be more invasive because of rads and the other side will mostly include my original BMX scar. I guess a lot is determined during the surgery. Definetly more focused on the feel rather than the look though.

Question, did everyone feel like they needed about the same support as they did with their former breasts? Given that they were similar in size anyway. I should be a B which is slightly smaller than I was before

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018
    Options

I’ve been wondering about bras too. I’m going from DD to B so I will have to start from scratch with bra buying.

Has anyone tried any of the scar therapy products you can buy at the drugstore? I used Bio-Oil when I was pregnant for stretch marks and apparently it works on scars too. I’ve also seen some silicon sheets that you wear for a few months.

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello FirstGrade2, I had the DIEP surgery a month ago yesterday, to replace bilateral implants. (so: not simultaneous to the mastectomy). (I also had a the luck of a surgeon testing a new technique which radically cuts down on pain but this was a separate surgery 2 weeks prior to the main DIEP. That surgery also cut down on the expected surgery time because they isolated the two main preforators to be used and ligated the rest.) The surgeon told me it would be about 5 hours, including taking out the implants and stitching up the pecs. It turned out to be 8.5 hrs but that was mainly because they unexpectedly ran into c-section scarring around the preforator on one side. There seem to be a lot of variables affecting surgical time, from reading this thread.

You are so young! I say get it on the calendar and get it over with! I was so afraid of the downtime I planned it for 7 months and I am so glad I did. It's great to finally feel more normal. One of my implants had gotten quite deformed.

I just had my one month follow up with my surgeon yesterday, all seems normal, it will be about 4 more weeks for the ab swelling to finish going down. One of the new boobs has a large section that's hard as a rock, he said that it will definitely soften up, I am to give it good hard massage with my fingers. He also told me to use Mederma to soften up the scars. I had good luck with that in the past too.

I am still healing but have gone back to work, walking a fair amount, went to the most of the holiday parties and whatnot! Just can't wear normal pants, living in stretchy black leggings. Winter is a good time for that!

I am beyond thrilled, wish I had done this sooner!

Couldn't get on surgeon's schedule for next round, till 5/29. I have a senior in high school so there is a lot to work around but I am gonna try and keep that date, otherwise it's the fall.

Regarding bras: I lived with sub-muscular implants for over 6 years. At first I was all over the Bra thread spending lots of time and money trying to find good fitting bras to feel normal. Eventually, all that went by the wayside, and I got quite used to not wearing a bra at all. In fact I was VERY VERY happy never wearing a bra (okay maybe a sports bra at the gym for appearances' sake). That was one fear of DIEP: I'd have to go back. Guess what! The new girls seem to be staying in place just fine on their own! I will probably put on a sports bra when I start to run again. I didn't do nipple reconstruction, I only did tattoos last time (just had to lose my Vinnies...) I am planning to do tattoos again but I probably won't travel to Vinnie this time. It was super sad losing the real nipples, but not having a fake nipple protrusion never bothered me one bit and only made it easier to go without a bra.

Jeannine, thank you SO MUCH for creating this thread, and all the time you have put into it!!!!

• suburbs
    edited January 2018
    Options
    LMichelle, happy to hear things are going so well for you. I had stage 2 on December 5 and am happy with the newly constructed nipples. I still have some issues and remain patient. I will definitely have the tattoos done and then move on with my life. All the best
  • Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited January 2018
    Options

twills- you may not need a bra! I don’t have to wear onebut I do to at least give some nipple coverage. The new breasts are heavier - fat weighs more than breast tissue. It’s noticeable but not back breakingly so.

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

Lula73, that would be awesome, I'd most likely wear one for vanity reasons while out and about but being able to wear a light weight or cute bralettes would be a dream. I've enjoyed those while having my TE's.

• Lula73
    edited January 2018
    Options

twills- I should add that I didn’t feel like I could do bra less until after stage 2 when he reduced and liftedme. Stage 1 breasts were 1.5 cup sizes larger (36 D-DD). Now I’m a 36 C-D depending on the bra.

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

Lula73, I'll be lucky to be a larger B so I have hope:)

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

LMichele, you are able to walk and go back to work a month after DIEP? That gives me hope. I’m so nervous about the recovery time. I will probably be picking up some Mederma once the PS gives me the all clear to start using something on the scars. I was looking at size B bras the other day to try and get an idea of what a change it will be from DD. I’m ready for smaller boobs. I am also thinking about only getting 3D tattoos instead of recon nipples.

• grateful99
    grateful99 Member Posts: 180
    edited January 2018
    Options

Happy New Year to you all! I'm done and quite happy with my results and now traveling, so haven't been posting for awhile but think often about all my sisters on here. I had my DIEP stage 2 last July and the memory of all of the treatments and surgeries is slowly fading. I still need the tattoos done but I'm not in a hurry for that. Feel great and whole. Very happy with the results. The scars are fading as well. Now and then I get a jab from inside my abdomen as if there was an undissolved stitch stuck in there but hopefully it's just my imagination or else won't cause any problems. Also, I would like to mention something to those of you still waiting for DIEP 1 so you can ask your ps about it. When the doctor connects a vein in your new breast, he cuts through cartilage in your rib cage. I have noticed that now that my breast bone is sticking out as if it didn't re-attach again to the rib. If I had known this before the surgery, I would have worn a brace during recovery but I wasn't told. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this deformity.

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

Grateful99, funny you mention that. Haven't had my DIEP, secheduled gor March 2, but I've mentioned pain/sensitivity on my ribs and asked each Dr why they are sticking out farther on that side and was discounted every time by each Druntil last weeks appt with my MO. She said that's probably the cartilage inflamed or something to that effect. I'm not sure at what point it showed up, sometime after BMX last Dec, TE placement in July and then TE removal on that side in August. Anyway, it's not really bothersome but still.

• LMichele
    LMichele Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2018
    Options

Houmom: i saw on the 2018 thread you are going in tomorrow. Sorry :( I will be thinking of you and hope everything goes smoothly. Let us know how you are doing, when you are ready...

Michele

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2018
    Options

Gratefull99, I had my DIEP in Sept. I have not noticed any deformity at the breastbone, though sometimes I feel pain there.

My PS told me I still should wear a bra. Some of these posts say you don't have to have one. My breasts are down to a C (wanted it that way) and he says they will still sag like regular breasts. Did anyones PS say they should wear a bra or that they don't have to?

• aquilegia
    edited January 2018
    Options

Grateful99 - I had a deformity or divot where the rib cartilage was removed - it did seem like the sternum was a little swollen also. The PS filled the cavity with fat grafting about 3 weeks ago. The fill started out a bit raised above the rest of my chest, now it's still a bit hollow but better than it was. I hope I keep the rest of the fat - they explained that injected fat cells have to be within a few millimeters of live tissue to not die and be resorbed. The lipo donor sites were so painful that I think I'll live with whatever the outcome is.

• Casun19
    Casun19 Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2018
    Options

hello ladies, I have been checking this thread every now and again. And I finally have scheduled surgery in Feb. had a couple questions if anyone could help? will this thread continue for the 2018 surgeries? And was there anyone here that had this surgery and had a toddler running around?

I understand the lifting restrictions and have been through a surgery before (my first attempt mastectomy to expander/implant 2016 failed due to infection) I guess I am looking for experiences on how this surgery is was with a young one? Any extra precautions? Thanks

• suburbs
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi casun19. Everyone is different and heals differently. I crawled into surgery after neoadjuvant chemo so I am not the best example of a speedy recovery. Typically, there will be weight lifting restrictions of 5 or 10 pounds. It took 4 weeks for me to be able to drive after surgery. Your pain tolerance will play into this equation as you will have more restrictions of course if you are taking a narcotic for pain relief. If you have help around the clock initially, that would be a very good thing.

There may be a 2018 surgery group started. This thread is not really very busy now, but there are many very helpful participants.

Good luck with your surgery

• aquilegia
    edited January 2018
    Options

casun19 - I'm an example of a speedy recovery (no narcotics after surgery, walking upright with a cane in a week), but can't imaging caring for a toddler for the first month. "Mommy can't pick you up now" isn't going to cut it. You really don't want to have your incisions reopen by lifting too much. If you can afford it, a daytime babysitter or helpful relative would be a really good idea.

• Casun19
    Casun19 Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2018
    Options

thank you, I have tons of help with husband and family. They will be a great help, but I guess I worry about the drains and having her see them or wanting to snuggle and having to say no ☹️. I am sure it's not a big deal but as the date nears I guess you start to sweat the small stuff!

• Lula73
    edited January 2018
    Options

I don’t have a full time toddler but my granddaughter is 2 and visited overnight several times during my recovery. My DH or DS would lift her into the recliner with me and we would snuggle side to side and read, play this little piggy, itsy burst spider, etc. and she fell asleep with me once as well. But definitely no lifting her up even though she is a tiny little petite girl. Hope this helps!

• aquilegia
    edited January 2018
    Options

Casun19 - my health plan covered buying 2 camisoles with hidden pockets to hide the drains. I safety-pinned the openings shut so the drains wouldn't fall out - nothing to see from the outside. If yours doesn't cover that, it's worth buying them online ahead of time. But my experience was that stripping the drain tubes requires privacy and focus to do it right. There are just a lot of steps to remember to keep it sanitary and record the drain volume. You don't want to do it with a toddler crying outside the door. Let your helpers know you need backup while that is going on.

• houmom
    edited January 2018
    Options

I left the hospital after 4 days with a 15lb lifting restriction. I have struggled more in my recovery, I’m a week out so far and not standing straight yet. My kids have caught a peek at the drains which scared them a bit, I tried to keep them hidden but it’s hard.