Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2017

Options

Comments

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    edited March 2017
    Options
    BlackBear, the TE has a magnet in it making MRI/A challenging. What I meant was perhaps an MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) would be an option for you if CT is not. I had an MRA.

JB- glad to hear things are looking good!!
  • DawnLee
    DawnLee Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi all. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I am overwhelmed by all of the things that I don't know or hadn't thought of until I found this forum.

My name is Dawn Lee, and I was diagnosed with IDC in my right breast in February. I am scheduled for BMX and DIEP at NOLA April 6. I'm 53, and already a three-time melanoma survivor. It never occurred to me to worry about BC.

I would really appreciate anyone who has already been through this to share some insights, things they wished they'd known beforehand, etcetera, I'm not sure if I'd be better off posting this in the 2016 thread or not. I am currently going through that thread with a fine tooth comb.

I have a lot of questions, some kind of silly and some not so much. Like, how do you get your underwear off and on post-surgery? LOL. I worry.

I'm a writer, and I'm wondering if any of you who work at a computer could tell me how soon you were able to return? I'm fortunate to work when I want, but I will need to get back to work fairly soon, or the rest of my publication schedule for the year will fall apart.

I'm terrified of flying, but I realize I'm going to have to - I live in TN. How was flying post-op? Aside from getting a wheelchair at the airport, any tips for travel?

I have a lot more questions, but I'll try to finish poring through the 2016 thread before asking, just to make sure the answers aren't over there. Thanks so much.

• Falconer
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Dawnlee- sorry that you're here with us, but glad you came to a place that is a wealth of information and experience. I'm having Flap surgery on May 30 so I apologize for being unable to answer your questions. Just wanted to say hi and hope you'll share your experience with us. Hope all goes smoothly for you

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2017
    Options

DawnLee welcome to the group. Sorry you had to join us but we will do our best to help answer your questions and support you in any other way we can.

WOW. Congrats on being a three time survivor of melanoma. It is so unfair to have to battle another cancer.

Question regarding underwear: The first week or so I went commando. I wore sundresses mostly and pinned my drains to a waist belt I made out of a sash. I also used a couple of lanyards to clip my drains to as well

I did lots of computer time using a laptop while in my recliner. I would say two weeks due to pain meds. Then you may only be able to work in several short periods of time. I had trouble staying focused for long periods of time. I would doze off and find my laptop in my lap waiting for me to continue. If you need a lot of paper for reference this may not work for you.

I was not comfortable sitting in a chair in front of a computer for several weeks.

• MAPBB
    MAPBB Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello DawnLee, I just had my BMX and DIEP reconstruction at NOLA 5 weeks ago. They give you underwear at the hospital and you will wake up from surgery with the underwear on. I liked it because it helped hold the bandages in place as they don't use any bandage tape at NOLA.

I also can work from a computer and was back to it (at home) at 2 weeks. Two hours on the first day and then up to 4 hours the first week, then 6-7 hours after that. Yesterday I did 10 hours. But I definitely have to get up a lot and it does hurt to sit at a table for that long.

I was so worried about flying that we drove to New Orleans from Michigan. For stage 2, we will fly.

I read many posts here plus read every word on the NOLA website and so there were very few surprises. It's such a good hospital and the doctors are so experienced, you will be in great hands there.

• DawnLee
    edited March 2017
    Options

Ladies, thank you all so much. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions in the near future. MAPBB, I know how you feel about the flying. That one's really getting to me. I'm not just scared of flying, I'm so-panicked-that-airport-security-starts-checking-me-out scared of flying. I would drive out there, but my Mom's coming with me, and her driving scares me almost as much as flying. I figure I'm probably better off freaking out for four or five hours than I would be freaking out for a two-day road trip. The last time I flew was ten years ago, for a relative's funeral, and my doctor gave me two Xanax, one for the way up, and one for the way back. I didn;t feel anything from them, so I thought I was cured when I flew up. Therefore, I didn't take the Xanax before getting on the return flight. Then I pretty much lost my mind and dug everything out of my carry-on until I found the stupid pill. Not cured, lol.

Unfortunately, I am currently between primary care docs, and I don't have anyone to prescribe me two Xanax. Maybe if I watch Bob Ross on my iPad I'll be okay.

• taag4
    taag4 Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2017
    Options

Well home from surgery. I was wondering if anyone had a ex-ray while in recovery. I was sort of out of it and my husband wasn't there when the dr. went to speak to him. Just wondering what that was about. I guess I will find out at my 2 week check up. It been two day and I have stop the pain meds just can't deal with the constipation any more. I'm hoping it will help if I stop the pain meds. No pain what so ever in the breast I had the lift and reduction in, but my lower stomach area where the bulge was fixed with mesh in is major pain. Wondering if that had something to do with the ex-ray because in recovery they gave me all the pain medicine they could give me to try and break through the pain. Hope everyone is doing well. I did ask about the binder and my dr just doesn't use them, along with no type of breast support.

• Falconer
    edited March 2017
    Options

taag- thanks for keeping us posted! It sounds like things are good aside from the pain meds SE which are quite common as I recall. Eat prunes!

• jbdayton
    edited March 2017
    Options

Taag I am so glad you are in recovery mode. My hernia repair is not requiring pain control anymore.

I will see my Dr. On Mar 20 and find out everything he adjusted and repaired at that point.

My drain is finally down to less than 30cc for 2 days in a row, so scheduled to have it removed this Monday.

I have no idea why an X-ray was done. I am curious though.

Happy healing wishes.

• Wordlady
    Wordlady Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2017
    Options

Wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for all the great information and support. For the past couple of weeks, I have been browsing the site and particularly reading the previous years' DIEP threads and it has been so very helpful. I was diagnosed mid-February and will be having BMX with DIEP on April 21 here in California at John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek. I think I am in a pretty good place emotionally with it. My main emotion is "I wish my surgery was tomorrow" instead of nearly six weeks ahead. But I am a planner and a crafter, so it is natural for me to start looking up videos on YouTube about making drain holders and stuff like that!

It seems like a majority of folks here are not in this part of the country, but I can certainly feel a great spirit of community, no matter where you are! So grateful for it and I hope I can be as helpful in the future as you all have been to me already.

• jbdayton
    edited March 2017
    Options

Welcome to the group.

Please feel free to post any questions and someone will probably be able to help.

I found reading these forums really helped with getting useful ideas.

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited March 2017
    Options

Wordldy, I kept myself busy sewing too. I picked up a couple of thin hoodies, cut the hood off, and used it to make 2 pockets on the inside of the jacket. They were perfect for the drains. Since I ended up with several surgeries before my DIEP, they sure got a work out

• Kali44
    Kali44 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2017
    Options

taag4 and jbdayton glad to hear you are both healing well 😊 Word lady I am also wanting to get this 'done and over with' I really am hating the waiting. On the other hand I am scared and not looking forward to the recovery but I keep trying to look forward to being happy feeling somewhat more normal. Can it just come quickly.... I know it will and soon enough we will be on chatting here talking about recovery and healing well 😊

Bigsister u r quite talented. Sewing was never my strong point, I prefer paper crafts. I keep thinking that I need to check the list in the beginning on the topic and start getting stuff together like clothes etc I am not usually a procrastinator but as mentioned before I am in a tug of war between wanting it done and not wanting to deal with it at all lol

Well ladies I have an app tomorrow follow-up with RO so I need to get some rest. I find that my raidated side is still pretty tanned and I don't want to be the two different colored boob lady 😯😰 Early tomorrow get my kids off to school lunch and then dressed and take my little one with me to the app, app 40mins drive away from home.

So, I wish you all healing, good thoughts and rest...be well.

• songbird72
    songbird72 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2017
    Options

Please add me to the list of 2017 DIEP flap surgeries. I will be having mine 5/8. My CT angiogram is scheduled for 3/27. I really do not want to do surgery again or feel like a patient again but I'm tired of trying to find mastectomy bras that I can live with! I'm a very hard to fit size--it was hard to find bras before but adding the mastectomy issue makes it even harder! I haven't even tried to find a swimsuit yet. I will be having my surgery in OKC with Dr. Anureet Bajaj.

Good luck and continued healing to all of you!

• mtsalhuana
    mtsalhuana Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Options

April 10, mtsalhuana, DIEP, Mayo Clinic Arizona

• Hammie28
    Hammie28 Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello all. Tomorrow is two weeks since my DIEP surgery. Still relying heavily on the narcotics. My one week follow up went well. Drain and stitches removed. I go back at four weeks post-op. The swelling has gone down some. At one week the dr said the new breast is about 20% bigger than it will be. Swelling can take three months to completely settle down. If its still too big, she said it is easy to remove tissue at the next stage. I think I'm going to be lop sided until then. And I have a spot on my abdominal incision that is dripping bloody fluid. Does anyone have experience with any of this?

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hammie, the breast should go down a little more in size. For the abdominal incision, I had that problem too, but for me it was oozing along 6 inches and ended up opening up. But it's normal for it to ooze a bit (I had 3 other smallareas that oozed for about 3 weeks but didn't open), just put antibiotic ointment on it twice a day and cover the spot with gauze. Monitor it closely, if the area that's oozing gets bigger or if the incision starts to open, you should call your PS.

• RTChris
    RTChris Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hey everyone, I'm really glad I found this thread.
    I am scheduled for my DIEP on April 4th. I have been waiting for just over two years and I am so glad it will finally be done.
    I work in our local cancer hospital as a radiation therapist so I have a lot of knowledge with regards to treatment of cancer, but the reconstruction is totally out of my scope of practice.
    I am trying to arrange my home and life so things are taken care of when I get out of the hospital. What sort of limitations can I expect and does anyone have any advice on how to handle the recovery period?

• Falconer
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi RTChris,
    You must be both relieved and anxious about your upcoming surgery, after waiting over two years for this phase of treatment. I feel like this thread is still pretty young, since most of us are just having surgery. I attached the link to the 2016 thread, still active, that could be helpful. Good luck with surgery on the 4th. We will be holding you in the light.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics/838503?page=82#post_4926109
  • Wordlady
    Wordlady Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2017
    Options

BigSister-2015, that is a great idea about the hoodies. I am going out and get a couple this week!

• DawnLee
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi RTChris,

We're scheduled pretty closely. My Bilateral and DIEP are scheduled April 6. I wish you well!

• jbdayton
    edited March 2017
    Options

I had my follow up appointment on Monday. Everything looks like it is healing well. I am satisfied with results.

I did not have any hernias he said both spots were weakned abdominal tissue. He just sutured the area to reinforce it. My breasts are fairly symmetrical now. I wore a bra today and both cups were fairly full. Prior to this fat grafting the same bra left breast had folds in the upper cup because it did not have enough volume to fill it up. My side boob on my right side is mostly gone and my lower fold was moved up to look more like my left side.

It was definitely worth the additional revision. The only thing left is to get new tattoos down the road a few months from now.

Good wishes to everyone still healing and thinking of the ladies scheduled in early April for comfort and peace as they prepare for their surgeries.

• jbdayton
    edited March 2017
    Options

DawnLee there was a thread called 'NOLA in September' that had pages of info from ladies that used NOLA. It is old but I know back in 2014 when I was researching the surgery I read that thread for lots of good info. You might search for that thread in the search tab. I don't know how to post a link to the page. If I figure out how I will post it for you

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited March 2017
    Options

Jeannine,

It's been a long road, three and a half years since your initial surgery, so it's nice to hear that you're happy with the results! And it sounds like you're healing really well. Congratulations.

I met with my breast surgeon today. I absolutely adore her. She was the first doctor I saw when iI was diagnosed, before they knew I was triple negative, and she has been there for me every step of the way. Her calm, reassuring demeanor helps keep me grounded. She was so matter of fact about my upcoming mastectomy, that I just have to know everything will be okay.

She did say that the reason I still like her is that she's the only one of doctors who hasn't hurt me. I told her I'll still like her after the surgery, because I plan on blaming all my post operative pain on the plastic surgeons who are doing my reconstruction! She loved thst idea.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It helps alleviate the pre surgery fears.

Trish

• jbdayton
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks Trish. I still would do it again. I could not imagine implants.

I loved my breast surgeon as well. She had the hard job. She had to talk to me about losing a body part and my options for reconstruction. Then she suggested a PS for me and her staff made the appointment for the consultation. We were pretty sure I would need radiation so we discussed delayed DIEP. Wish I could have done immediate.

The PS gets to talk about giving us back a body part.

You will do great.

• Falconer
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jb- awesome news!! Moving forward away from the difficulties of this disease is the best! Congratulations!
  • DawnLee
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks so much, jb. Another member PM'd the link to me, and I've been reading it off and on all day. The date is looming, and I'm trying to get the house ready, the kids ready, the family ready, ad nauseum. I'm very thankful that I'm self-employed, because I can't imagine wrestling with trying to get off work or cover myself at a job.

I wonder, do any of you who have already been through this have anything that you wish you hadn't bothered packing or buying for Stage 1?

• botzey
    botzey Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello everyone. I had my prophylactic BMX with DIEP on March 3rd. It has been 3 weeks and all is improving. The worst part for me was the back pain. I could not stand up for more than two minutes before my back would give our. No meds helped my back. When I went for my one week follow up, the PS removed 3 drains and told me to stand upright. I had the last draIn removed the next day. After that my back feels much better.

I had to have a CT amigo before my DIEP. I had a hernia repair with mesh and other laparoscopic surgeries so we needed to see if my veins were cut. The PS said if the main perforations were cut we may be able to use some that are further out near the hips. Turns out my veins were very good. I do think it was pretty standard for a Ct to be performed before DIEP.

• minatabo
    minatabo Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello all,

Just wanting to learn - for those who are having their DIEP done this year, any of you have TEs put it prior? If so, did your surgeon show you what your scars will be like?

Also, was anyone asked by their surgeon to lower or increase their weight to a particular BMI before they will proceed with surgery?
    And did any one of radiation before DIEP? How has your skin healed?

Sorry lots of question. I'm torn between having immediate DIEP vs delayed DIEP (if I'm doing rads) - delayed will be 1-2 years later due to long wait time in Canada. I just want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Minatabo

• Falconer
    edited March 2017
    Options

imageMinatabo,

I have a TE in, and it is pretty crappy. Can't wait to have it out. My scar looks great tho and it definitely stretched the skin. I also had 33 rads treatments, finished Dec 9. My PS has agreed to do the Flap on May 30, which is a little more than 6 months out. I didn't want to wait longer for a couple of reasons, even though my skin is quite tan from rads. PS wouldn't have done the DIEP immediately knowing I needed rads beforehand. His feeling now is that my skin might look a little two toned, but I don't care. He also seemed to believe it could be years before my skin ever goes back to normal. Anyway, since I don't want him to touch my right side, he is going to build the Flap below the TE, as the TE side is rather high up (under my pec) and the regular boob side is doing what reg boobs do, sag. I'm sticking with my usual 34B boobs so it may be more doable with smaller breasts. Can you tell where the tan line is from the photo? They used a bolus on me to bring the rads up to the skin and it was rectangular in shape. I am wearing a sports bra so that's what left those three lines on the skin Oy vey

Does that answer your questions? Good luck as you decide what to do.