Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2017

Comments

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    edited April 2017

welcome, MichCali. Congrats on finishing chemo. Hope you are on the road to recovery

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2017

Amanda, I was told the same thing about the follow-up (no scans) and I find it scary. When I was diagnosed, none of my doctors could feel anything, but there were multiple large tumors in the breast and the nodes, so I don't see how a manual exam would serve me any better in the future if it came back.

So today I finally finished my reconstruction and got my nipple/areola tattoos. It was a 20 minute procedure in the PS office, and so nice to finally have normal looking breasts again. I had forgotten how much anesthesia needles hurt, but I guess the good side of that is that I have almost total normal feeling in the breasts (one of the benefits of doing the DIEP). I am really happy with the final result.

• Falconer
    edited April 2017
    Great news, Maya!
  • Beckyb2016
    Beckyb2016 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2017

hammie28 I will have my surgery at Northside In Sandy Springs.

• Kali44
    Kali44 Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2017

Hello ladies 😊

I was just reading through all the different threads on the message board and read one in particular about bloating after DIEP 😯 What!!! Is this very common? Now I am two days away and worried 😟 Can anyone relieve my fears?

Seems like there is bloating and it either gets worse or just bad to begin with.....is this is a huge concern for anyone else? PS never mentioned this to me 🤐😕 Should I even ask you all as I might not like what I hear....I am so scared now.... HELP PLEASE!

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited April 2017

kali44 I'm not sure about the Diep surgery because I am awaiting mine be but when I had a breast lift and augmentation I had bloating for maybe a week. Was told it was due to the breast surgery and fluid draining to the abdomen. Wasn't that bad and did go away. Perhaps someone else who actually had the Diep can let us know if we need to expect this.

Found it was better when I got up walking

• cdv4251992
    cdv4251992 Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2017

Kali44, I had my surgery 3/2. I did not experience bloating, per se, but I was swollen after the surgery. It's gotten much better. After surgery being hunched over and not able to stand straight for a while also makes it difficult to tell what's going on, if that's makes sense.

I'm back to work part time this morning. Looking forward to seeing everyone, but glad it's just 4 hours right now. I get fatigued easily still. Hopefully the infection is on it's way out and that will improve soon.

• c0nfused
    c0nfused Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017

I am overweight (35-40 lbs), and am considering DIEP Flap Reconstruction. But, I'm worried my body will look weird. I have a thick neck, flabby arms and hips that hips that are about 46 inches. The Dr. says he can probably only create a 34B, so my body would be pear shaped. I'm more concerned that my arms and neck will look like fat parts attached to a small torso. Has anyone that is overweight done a DIEP? How do you feel about your results?

• pnwgram
    pnwgram Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017

Thank you to everyone for the well wishes. I came home Saturday evening & am doing really well. The pain has been nothing compared to the BMX & tissue expanders! My biggest issues are needing help to get out of bed & not being able to reach around back to pull up my pants. And it isn't because it hurts, it's because of the restrictions needed to keep the flaps alive. It's so hard to remember not to reach behind or stretch too far! It's wonderful being home with my family & my sweet kitty. Thanks RTChris & Black Bear for the advice. I've kept a throw pillow up on my chest, & though Theo would dearly love to snuggle up, he's quite content to sleep on my lap or legs.

Hope everyone is healing well, & for those waiting, good luck, hang in there, make sure you have some extra large t-shirts, & if you have time, try to strengthen your legs & trunk.

• Falconer
    edited April 2017
    Thanks pnwgram,
    Great news that you are doing well, and especially that it hurts less than than TEs!
  • Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited April 2017

Hi everyone. I'm scheduled for a LAT Flap 6/17 on my right breast along with a prophylactic mastectomy on my left breast and TE on both. I'm so nervous. Ive chosen one Dr but still not sure if I chose the right one. I feel more nervous now than when I had my mastectomy for my initial diagnosis.

Hugs to everyone recovering.

• Kali44
    edited April 2017

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies and I am now on the countdown myself...Yikes! So I am thinking that I do not know how you slept the night before surgery. I am soooo wide awake lol I am anxious for it to get done and on the other side for sure.

I wish you all a great night and hopefully they let me escape earlier than they expect 😊

• Beach4
    Beach4 Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2017

Thank you so much for the good wishes- surgery went ok, except for blood clot on left mastectomy side.

1st surgery 9 hours. Left skin sparing mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction of both sides. 6 hours after coming out of first surgery back in for second surgery. Got the clot fixed, 5 hours later back on the recovery road.

Home 5 days later, pleasantly surprised at how I can move ( slowly) around the house....and sleep in my own bed, and do stairs. Was not expecting this. Very tight in the tummy...anyone know how long that tight, burning feeling lasts...? i know I have to be patient. Am only a week out.

• RTChris
    RTChris Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2017

c0nfused :
    Hello, I can relate to the fears and worries of having a DIEP when you start out overweight. I was easily 40 lbs over where I should be. Started out at 203 lbs going into my delayed reconstruction - 2 years post all chemo and radiation. I had fairly damaged skin due to radiation, and a mastectomy scar that went almost as high as my clavicle, so I had two strikes against me going in, and the knowledge that the size of the flap was going to have to be huge. I am now 13 days post surgery and things are looking great IMO, and my healing is as good as could have been hoped for.

I have some pictures of how things are looking that I am willing to share. You may send me a PM if you want. I would be willing to share them here (my face is not in them) but I'm not sure of the policy.

• Kali44
    edited April 2017

Mustlovepoodles, kal52 and Word lady if I am unable to post on your surgery day... I wish you both best of luck in your surgeries.

Wishing everyone else quick healing and rest.

• pnwgram
    pnwgram Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017

Kali44, sending lots of good thoughts your way as you're going through surgery today.

• DawnLee
    DawnLee Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2017

Hi all,

I haven't been on for a little bit, because I didn't have much (good) to say. Flew to NOLA April 3rd, after three flights got cancelled on us. It actually took us two days to get there. Then I went through the entire pre-op day, right down to the Sharpie all over, and got a phone call at 4pm the day before surgery that my surgery was cancelled. The anesthesiologist was uncomfortable with an autoimmune issue I have. He wanted me cleared for surgery by an immunologist. I was devastated. Because of the Delta fiasco, it took us three expensive days to get home. All in all, almost $4,000 for a trip that was pointless. I did get in to an immunologist last Friday, and called the Center right away, and was told someone would call me Monday with a date for my surgery. Crickets. Called back this morning, and was told the woman who does scheduling would call me back as soon as she had a chance to check the schedule book. Still crickets. I love the Drs at NOLA, felt very good about my decision. But now I just feel like I'm being shuffled. I want this cancer out of me. It's very close to the surface of my skin, and very easy to feel. I know it's gotten larger and harder since I found it in February. I'm just feeling really frustrated and trapped. Three months is a long time to do absolutely nothing about breast cancer.

Sorry, all. Thanks for letting me rant.

• Tpralph
    edited April 2017

hey Dawn, I hear your frustration. I too have to wait, not quite as long as you 2 months and 8 days from diagnosis without any intervention. I have two tumours one according to mri is 2.5 and the other 1.1. U/S shows smaller (hoping that they are smaller however if they are will probably be that size when they finally remove them. ) surgery booked may 18th.   I don't know my receptor status. Did they put you on tamoxifin or an estrogen inhibitor?

• cdv4251992
    edited April 2017

DawnLee, vent away, what a frustrating situation. I hope you hear back soon. The waiting is so hard. I can't imagine being there for the surgery and having it cancelled. Thinking good thoughts that you get a call and a date asap

• IrishLuck
    IrishLuck Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2017

Hi Ladies, it is great to finally post here again. I underwent my bilateral DIEP on March 30th which was an almost 12 hour surgery. The next morning I had to go back in for a 6 hour surgery to remove clots in both of the anastomosis in the left breast. After that they put me on a blood thinner to prevent further blood clots and I developed internal bleeding in the same breast. I had to go back in for another 4 hour surgery to evacuate the bleeding. It was quite an ordeal but I was very thankful and happy with my surgical team at Stanford who saved the flap as well as my life. My rehab has been slow. I felt like I was hit by a mack truck when I finally got home on post op day 5. Thankfully, I am now doing much better and progressing with my rehab here at home. I received my pathology report which was good news for me overall. I had two tumors, IDC stage I, ER+, PR+, HER2-, all margins were clear (one very close margin), all 3 lymph nodes taken were clear. I meet with the Oncologist next week. I'm a little nervous about what comes next but trying to keep my chin up and remember how lucky I am. I'm reading through all of your posts now. Can't wait to catch up with you ladies!

• IrishLuck
    IrishLuck Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2017

Hi ladies, I really had a lot of catching up to do. Sorry if I missed anybody.

DawnLee - I'm so sorry your surgery got canceled. I can't imagine how hard that must be. I hope they get you scheduled again soon. Hang in there!

Tpralph - I also had 2 tumors and had to wait three months before they could get me in at Stanford. I was terrified but it turned out to be okay. Try not to worry. I know it is hard as a medical professional. We really know too much and it makes us worry even mor than most. I'm an O.T. Hang in there!

Kali 44 - Hope all went well with your surgery and that you are recuperating well.

Beach 4 - I'm so sorry you had to go through a blood clot. So glad that you are at home and recuperating well now.

cdv4251992 - I'm amazed that you are already back to work. Hope it is going well.

Mtsalhuana - Hope all went well with your surgery.

Phwwgram - Glad that you are home from your surgery. Hope all is going well.

RT Chris - So sorry you had a post op reaction to meds. I've had that in the past and it was awful. Glad that you have "Two Perky Boobs" to cheer you up : )

Jbdayton - I'm so jealous that you can fully clean your house. Can't wait for that : )

Trishyla - So sorry to hear about the collapsed lung. I hope you are doing well at home now.

Black Bear - I'm so sorry about your scan. I hope it turns out to be nothing but I totally understand your fears. I always fear that darn shoe dropping. Hang in there. I will send prayers that this is nothing at all to worry about.

Mich Cali - Welcome!

Falconer - You must be getting excited - May 30th is right around the corner.

cdv4251992 - So sorry to hear about your infection. Hope is all clear now.

• Falconer
    edited April 2017
    Woahhhh IrishLuck, that is one amazing story! You must be so glad to be back home, and you sound great! It is incredible what our bodies can handle and recover from. I noticed that your signature reads DCIS but you wrote that they found two IDC tumors. Was that a change in your diagnosis?

I'm wondering if anyone here used arnica Montana for healing before or after surgery?
  • DawnLee
    edited April 2017

Hi Tpralph,

No, I'm not on anything yet. I won't see my oncologist again until two weeks after my surgery. I did get a new surgery date, finally. I'll fly to NOLA May 2 and surgery May 4. I'm so relieved to be moving forward. I'm sure you will be, too. :)

• Tpralph
    edited April 2017

awesome Dawnlee!

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2017

Mustlovepoodles I am hoping your surgery went great yesterday.

kal52 and Wordlady our thoughts are with you both today as you have your surgery.

DawnLee I have updated your surgery date. I just can't resist but "May the Fourth be with you".

Happy healing to all. It appears our group has had their challenges. Hang in there it will get better.

IrishLuck what an adventure. So glad they were able to save your flap.

c0nfused I hope you are getting answers to help make your decisions.

• cdv4251992
    edited April 2017

DawnLee, I'm so glad you're rescheduled.

IrishLuck, what a ride you've had so far! Glad you are home. Rest and take it easy. Hoping recovery is very uneventful after all you've been through.

I follow up with the PS today on my infection. Fingers crossed it's looking better. I honestly have no idea what it is supposed to look like. I think one part looks much better, but the section he removed tissue from looks the same, might even be a bit larger? Hopefully they can give me more of a new idea when chemo can start. Everything has been removed and there was no evidence of cancer in any other area, So I'm not I need danger of something growing or spreading. I just want to get started so there's an end in sight.

Very glad I am working 1/2 days right now. I'm beat after 4 hrs. However, using up my short term disability and FLMA hours with chemo still ahead of me is an uncomfortable feeling.

• cdv4251992
    edited April 2017

Thinking of kal52 and Wordlady today. Check in when you are feeling up to it next week.

• DawnLee
    edited April 2017

"May the fourth be with you."

*dies laughing

• Kali44
    edited April 2017

Hi everyone I am doing well however, my meds just kicked in and I am feel extremely woozy...I will be in touch have as soon as I feel up to it.

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited April 2017

Great to hear from you Kali44. Rest, rest, and rest. You will feel better shortly and you can update us then. Thank you for checking in.