Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shadow in chest is recurrence

Options

Comments

• wildplaces
    wildplaces Member Posts: 544
    Options

Sadiesservant

Hope the sun is shinning your way - it's sunny on the GC.

I love champagne and could not think of a more fitting drink for catching up with old friends - well done!!

The on and off days are funny - even when very well - the head and heart part are a big part of this game.

Liz,

How are you going?

Did you manage to get out enough to get the fluffy robe??

It is a lonely road - and to be honest outside the BCO I don't talk much about it.

I work surrounded by men who frankly do not care much about what happened to my tits - surgeons just want to know you are solid and reliable. I obviously don't talk to about it to my son - too young or parents - too worried..and friends, of which I am blessed with many - by the time we catch up ...well they have children, trips, school runs, birthday parties and I am happy for the fluff...

when is your third rendezvous??

Hugs aplenty

🙂🌻

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780
    Options

Hi Pat

The champagne lunch with friends sounds delightful. Well done! That day walking Sadie could just have been one of those natural energy dips that we all have. I'm having one right now after some hard graft gardening. Still it is good news regarding the lung fluid level.

Ioana, I'm with you on the who do we talk to question. During my first round dealing with this crap I was in a very dark place. I was in an abusive marriage and as a result had precious little emotional support. My ex came to the first chemo but was a narcissist control freak and just tried to big himself up with the nurses. It was all about him and as a terrified chemo newbie- well you can imagine. So after that my mum came with me.

Life is very different now and I have a wonderful husband, yes we row and are very different in how we parent but overall we are a united team of loveliness.

Unfortunately the fall out from the years of marriage number 1 means that I actually have no friends that I see regularly. I remarried quite soon after first marriage ended and I waved goodbye to all associated ties. I'm also incredibly private, yes I know you would never guess!

So I'm hoping to change that. When I go back to work I plan to be sociable and actually embark on some nights out- wow!

In the meantime I can talk to my family about BC but right now I also have to try for normality and push it to one side. I know that it rears its ugly head from time to time. Hey it might do even later tonight!!!

Anyway enough of my sordid life!!!

Hugs and love

Liz x

• lalady1
    lalady1 Member Posts: 530
    Options

Liz - can so relate to a sordid ex. I often felt that the toxic relationship helped create the environment for cancer and blamed myself for bad judgement (which was wrong) even after moving on - while he forced me to court as often as possible for $. Mine not his. lol I think of you every morning. :)) Ioana I had a small glass of CA Sauvignon blanc last night and toasted Queensland. Pat - keep walking Sadie with a smile. You ladies are all close to my heart.

• jackboo09
    Options

Claire

I agree with you about those years causing cancer or at least creating an unfavourable environment.

I'm feeling quite emotional at the moment. Sometimes it feels like there is no escape from BC. Just watched our local evening news programme. There was a report on about secondary BC. There is important work going on in Sheffield regarding spread to bones and a woman was interviewed. All hopeful but it's just hearing the language of it all for me. It's enough to here " cannot be cured" etc.

I find myself upset tonight and yet I know it's not good for me.

L x

• lalady1
    Options

Liz - sending you balmy CA hugs. Just back from work, 2 hour drive. Yuck, but played great music all the way home.:) Don't get upset now, just rest.

• wildplaces
    Options

Liz,

I sometimes don't know what to say to you ( rare for me not short on words, my friend) - I am astonished by your kindness, strength and honesty and I come back because it is all so very real!

Ex what?? - ohhh gosh where do I start - we need more than the champagne bath Traveletext posted on the drinking study thread...yep, I can tell you a few stories.

But you know ...more then the person or persons I hold myself responsible for not advocating strong enough for myself in terms of my general wellbeing or health, I guess for thinking I was invincible and for being arrogant enough to think I could take any hit.

I am trying to change that - I am trying to learn to say "No" gently - wish me luck 😊

• jackboo09
    Options

You are both very kind and I did think before sharing some of my history but there is no reason not to share anything with you guys now. We have already been through too much together.

Two scan appointments have just dropped through the mat.

They want to do a CT of thorax and abdomen with contrast only 4 days after chemo 3!!!

A) will I be well enough????? Only 4 days out?

B) why do soon

C) they must be concerned about that " mild concentric GI thickening" or is abdom normal procedure. Surely if this didn't light up on PET on April 13 it can't be an issue?

I knew that scans were now a part of life but it's so so hard to deal with.

L x

• wildplaces
    Options

Hey Liz,

The usual here is CT chest/abdo/pelvis with contrast.

Nothing unusual there - they are looking for some response - so try not to overguess/overthink ( infinetely easier said then done)

For that link just search Zarovka and Adventures with cancer - Z post should come up on TIL trial ( tu,our infiltrating lymphocytes) - its early and very high risk but it's being done is my point.

Happy Saturday

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

Hi Liz,

In the hopes this will make you smile, I had the pleasure of cancelling the mammogram the RO scheduled as part of my clinical trial prior to my Stage IV diagnosis. I will check in with my MO at our next appointment but for now, I figured screw that! That's one thing the girls could do without. 😜

As Wildplaces indicated, please try not to stress. Your team is doing their job. Nothing ominous my friend.

And Claire, I am, at the moment, enjoying a lovely glass of Caymus Zinfandel. God I love good wine! Here's to Ibrance and functioning taste buds! How long until your cruise

• BellasMomToo
    BellasMomToo Member Posts: 93
    Options

jack: Do your Drs suspect an abdominal abscess? Starting with my 2nd chemo treatment, I would get a bad abdominal pain that would last about 7 days, then disappear. After my last chemo (#6), the pain subsided, but didn't disappear. So three weeks after my last chemo, my MO ordered an ultrasound, which showed thickening near my colon. So I then had an abdominal CT w/ contrast, which showed an abdominal abscess. I was hospitalized and the abscess was drained. According to the internist at the hospital, chemo can cause abdominal abscesses.

• jackboo09
    Options

Ioana, Pat, BellasMom,

I think the letter arriving was an untimely jolt back into the reality of my new situation and over dinner did manage to calm myself down.

The timing isn't great and this is something I will try to reschedule.

Bella- I do get occasional reflux but there is nothing yet to indicate anything other than hiatus hernia. I am sorry you had the abscess. I hope you recovered quickly.

Pat- I think a glass of wine would do me the world of good. I had a tiny sip of Proseco last weekend but other than that not a drop. Like you I really do love wine. 🍷

You guys have a good weekend. Yet again you are able to prise me off the ceiling!

Finally, just read an article about statins for BC. Will endeavour to post link.

Much love

Liz x

• wildplaces
    Options

hey Liz,

So when is the scan?

Thinking of you and Catherine - hope you rock your scans!

Claire of my counting you are 20 days away from cruise Baltic!!!!

Went to my son's Year 1 concert - I love his music teacher, she is brilliant.

Also got my first haircut - I ended up with th curliest hair - it was dead pan straight before!

I feel many times over like dropping in a virtual coffee or glass of wine.

Hugs to all,🙂

• jackboo09
    Options

Hi Ioana

I really wish we could have coffee too and we could make plans for wine while we chatted!

Treatment 3 is Thursday. Mid tx scan is 14th June.

Great news on your new hair. I'm slowly adjusting!

L x

• wildplaces
    Options

Thinking of you today!!

Hugs,

Ioana 😊

• jackboo09
    Options

Hi Ioana,

Had tx 3 today. I have Stage 1 neuropathy in my fingers and toes. Dr Proctor was happy to go ahead this time but I think it is doubtful that I will have more depending on how my symptoms go over next 3 weeks. Stage 11 neuropathy is dropping things apparently- great.

So mixed feelings tonight. He did say that the response of chemo is greatest in the first few and that he has to consider future treatments down the line which often impact the nerves.

At least I've got to half way through. Scan is in 6 days on June 14.

I was lucky to have the chemo sister treating me today. She managed to get the cannula in my hand and took her time to warm up veins and search for suitable ones.

I bought The National Geographic magazine; 100 best destinations to travel. Enjoyed a little dreaming.

If I can I will have tx 4 but I don't want to be left " unable to wipe my bottom" as he bluntly put it!

I'm pushing for an August holiday now. Richard a bit reluctant while I am in this uncertainty but I need a break and a reward for all this crap.

York is just wonderful!

I hope you are all having a good day, love to you all my amazing friends.

L xxx

• wildplaces
    Options

Ohhh Liz,

I am sorry!

Sounds like Dr Protor thinking is solid - it is what I have heard about chemo - hence my four courses of one type and the switch to other for four...and it's why they scan at 3 treatments. And I like a doc with a sense of humour - it is filled with hope.

It's imperative that you stay well and strong - your overall health and innate immunity over years is fundamental.

A get away in August - wise and wonderful.

Richard will come around with some patience - sometimes I think it is harder for those who love us - we are placed in a situation with no escape - but to be watching from the sidelines must be horrendously frustrating.

I am back at work.
    It is good yet I have less time for myself and I can see the need for continued vigilance in keeping good health habits - we have crazy hours and rather unpredictable days.
    I have rediscovered the value of am porridge - I throw a handful of frozen berries in it and I don't even have to wait for it to cool...nuts and honey.

Hugs to all,
    Ioana
  • wildplaces
    Options

ohhh and of course yoghurt 🤣

Hugs to all

• wildplaces
    Options

Saiesservant,

Just read your post about mammogram - hmmm - if one was a purist and we would live in a perfect world - the scan of choice for women who are being exposed to a fair bit of radiation through the necessity of systemic follow up ie CT Scan would be an MRI. It is not done because of cost. I agree you are not get much additional info now out of either.

The thing that I find annoying about this is - it's the other consequence - mammograms are not routinely recommended to under 50 year old because they are hard to read in dense breasts ( although I can attest by personal experience it varies WIDELY with the experience of the radiologist ) but MRI solves that problem - why are they not offered?? - you guessed it! And yes BC is less common in the under 50 but it is often more aggressive and young age is a poor prognostic indicator, and at an overall incidence of 1in 8 and rising I am not certain what they are waiting for.

Ok rant over - I know you all know this.....

Hugs to all and happy Sunday!

Claire - hope you are well on the coffee hatch routine - I am counting two weeks until your trip

• wildplaces
    Options

Liz,

This is a blurb on neuropathy...save it for later - there are some options should you need further drugs down the track.

http://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/jco.2013.54.0914

Also it crossed my mind lowering the dose and going to weekly.

But not much use speculating until the scan

Sharing a salad and the tiniest glass of Pinot from the Mornington Peninsula ( its down south Victoria) with you - you are never far from my thoughts🙂

• Mariangel43
    Mariangel43 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Dear ladies, I just entered this discussion board and I was amazed. You are brave and courageous. You have been through a lot. I was diagnosed with BC last year and had a mastectomy with sentinel lymph node biopsy. Only one axillary node affected. However, I had a mammogram and an US this year and a "cyst" and an intramammary nodule appeared a little bigger than usual appeared in my left breast. My left breast was clean in the CT and MRI of last year but the right subclavian lymph nodes seem to be affected. Well, I will not wait for them to become cancer. The waiting is insidious and unhealthy and painful. If by September the cyst and the intramammary node have both increased in size, I will talk with the Breast surgeon to do the left MX and then have the implants. My MO does not participate in oral chemo trial so I think I will have to pass through the traditional chemo. No rad. I cannot live my life waiting for a lung cancer to develop just because of radiation. I will talk with him about Ibrance but I don't think he will approve. Anyway, the waiting is draining me emotionally and I know how you've felt.

Wishing you the best to you all. Jackboo, hope you won't need more chemo. I have been following Nalie Agustin who have lung mets and she doing well. She is a 28 old girl who is so full of live that is inspiring to me. But as you well know, I sometimes feel tired of so many physicians, tests, procedures, and drugs. I am tired of being checked by every doctor (2 MOs, 2 ROs, 1 BS and 1 PS). I was taking anastrozole and the CAs instead of going down, were going up so I asked the MO for a change of therapy. Letrozole is the new drug so that neuropathy is worse and I hope that means that the CAs are decreasing. Hope to hear from you all. Good luck. God bless you all.

Maria

• lalady1
    Options

Liz - I was sending you a bevy of twinkling lights last night to surround you before your next chemo. You are so brave and have a lot to fight for - including some virtual meals and drinks with Ioana and me! Last night I had dinner with my sis and a nice glass of Italian Pinot Grigio, then went to bed at 7:30pm. ha! I am excited about my cruise next week, but fear Afinitor is not working for me. Will look into switching upon my return. Maria - sorry to hear your situation - there are many chemos to chose from here in the US - hope PR is similar.:)

• sadiesservant
    Options

Hi Claire,

What makes you think the Affinitor is not working?

Must admit, this "new life" is certainly filled with ups and downs. I was psyched thinking that my lung fluid was diminishing after a couple of weeks of less drainage and then suddenly last week the volume jumped back up again. Another 800 mLs today. Sigh... I try not to stress but it makes me wonder if I am responding to the Arimidex/Ibrance. The intelligent, non-emotional side of my brain realizes that I have only been on this combo for a couple of months but the paranoid part of me wants to see some results. I so want to be rid of the catheter so that I have more freedom to come and go - travel seems less appealing at the moment for some reason. Loopy

Hope your cruise is fantastic and that treatments start to kick in.

Cheers. Pat

• jackboo09
    Options

Hi guys

Claire- exciting times for you as you approach your cruise. I know you are having fears about treatment working/ doesn't that just suck! We have to put up with the SEs and uncertainty. I grabbed the twinkly lights about 2am this morning when I was awake with worries and now s painful flare up of Lymphedema- still it could have been blood clot related which was my original fear.

Each week there is some new stress. Last week it was neuropathy which had certainly not worsened yet but not holding my breath.

Ioana- the salad looks delicious. I hear your recent journey back into work and know that this brings both normality and its own demands. Do look after yourself- I'm sure you will. Sometimes we need to be made to slow down.

Pat- the pesky lung, but you are wise to allow time and you are so very patient and have coped in such an unbelievably brave way.

Catherine- we soldier on don't we my chemo buddy! Not easy at all but how great to have each other.

Maria- welcome and I hope you continue to find hope and empathy here as we all have. I understand fears about chemo. After 6 years I thought I would never have this to deal with again.

Di- how are you?

Scan tomorrow guys- are you all ready to walk with me????

L x

• jackboo09
    Options
    • My mock orange shrub in my back garden. Beautiful when the sun shines on it. image
  • sadiesservant
    Options

Definitely walking with you Liz. Nothing but positive thoughts for tomorrow's scan!

• jackboo09
    Options

Thanks Pat

Unfortunately I didn't have the scan. Our car was hit by a lorry on the way to the hospital. Luckily we were not injured but very shaken. Spent 3 hours on the hard shoulder waiting for a recovery truck, standing in grass on the hottest day of the year.

So we are slightly sunburnt and to top it all off the man went wrong and we ended up with a journey home of nearly 2 hours instead of 40 minutes as it should have taken.

Still we are ok and I have scan on Friday now.

Liz x

• wildplaces
    Options

Liz,

l love your orange shrub!!

What a day - how stoic you are - speechless but mercifully you are both intact.

I am sorry you had to go through this.

So scan tomorrow - all there with you Liz!!

Claire and Pat I am thinking of you both - hope you reach a patch of steady sate and that it holds you gently for a long while.

Hugs aplenty

And lots more

Ioana 🙂

• jackboo09
    Options

Hi all

Had scan without any dramas this time. Results in a week.

Happy weekend everyone.

L x

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    Options

Hi ladies!

Liz I'm in your pocket as you wait for the results of your scan. Try not to worry (easier said then done). I also had a scan after second chemo treatment. Dr wants to see how the tumor is responding to the chemo treatment. Your always in my thoughts and prayers! Hang in there.

To all the new ladies I had some catching up to do reading the posts. Stay positive! I can't stress that enough. Worrying and stressing yourselves out is not good. Stress is bad when you have cancer. I'm praying for all of you. Your all in my thoughts every day...

As for me I've been busy here. My cousin had a fund raiser for me on the 10th. I had a really good time. Alot of people are doing fundraisers for me to help with the bills. My next fundraiser is July 3. I can't believe how blessed I am to have such wonderful and caring family and friends in my life! As far as driving after arm amputation it's a job. I had to take a driving class that lasted about 30 minutes and cost $350. Glad i passed after that expense lol...I had to get my oncologist to fill out a paper for driving which i have to send to DMV. I picked up paper from Dr. today so will mail monday. DMV will then tell me what to do next. I inquired about getting my car modified to drive and that costs $2225. My next issue is my medical insurance. I called insurance to see if the cost of my car being modified would be covered. Insurance said i was cancelled that i don't have insurance with them. The Cleveland clinic is going to pay my cobra for me so I called the financial adviser and he said the bill was mailed Wednesday so i will call insurance next week to see if I'm in the system. On top of all that i got a letter yesterday about my home delivery of prescriptions that said they are no longer my provider. I sure hope cobra gets payment soon cause i have prescriptions i need filled. Always something...gotta love the system! I've been going to therapy for the phantom pain. Pain has eased up some. I have to play this game on my phone that shows hands and i have to pick if it is a left or right hand. Afterwards I start hurting. Therapist says that it is normal cause the brain is learning to accept that the arm isn't there and that it's going to be ok. I try to stay busy so that I'm not aware of the phantom pain but as soon as i sit down or try to sleep i'm aware of the pain. It is so strange to have your hand feel three times as big as a basketball....Tomorrow is my moms birthday so i will be spending the day with mom and dad. Sunday of course is fathers day. Had a post op appointment with orthopedic surgeon. Orthopedic is really impressed with healing and progress. I go for ct scan on the 23rd. My oncologist said i will get a ct scan every 3 months and see him every 3 months also. A few weeks ago i planted 55 flowers! I just try to stay busy. Also had a girls day visiting the wineries. Ok this is getting too long for you to read. I will post more tomorrow.

Your all in my thoughts and prayers! Love to all!

• wildplaces
    Options

hi Di,

Good to hear from you.

Liz thinking of you as you approach decision regarding your fourth treatment and results of scan.

I am slowly settling back in to "life" and grateful for it.

Claire - are you packing for your trip?? Have packed?

Hugs to all,