Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation April 2017

Options

Comments

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017
    Options

KB870 - That must feel so good to be done rads already! Good for you! Are you all finished treatments then?

• sorella
    sorella Member Posts: 52
    edited April 2017
    Options

Wenchlori, Just found your response. Thank you. This site and my phone don't make this easy but I like to do my thing while lazy in bed. I think I fixed my settings so my diagnosis shows. I also remembered to add this to favorites to keep me updated. So far rads not so bad. My biggest problem is my continued pain from surgery over 6 months ago. I see a PT who said she would expect the rad trauma to the area to make it worse before better. My center is recommending I see pain management so will go ahead with that. Heck, I am there daily, why not tack on another appointment. I am fortunate to be on medical leave at this point and seriously considering early retirement at 61 after teaching for 38 years. My husband retired 3 years ago and I want to spend time with him continuing our travels. This ordeal made me more eager to seize the moment!

• Shaz1970
    Shaz1970 Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi,

I'm starting rads on Apr 18th, I thought I would've been in the March group, but no, so 10 more days and I start 20 treatments. Had my tattoos done 2 weeks ago.

Been told to moisturise daily in the run up to rads starting, which I've been doing. So I'm ready to go, not feeling too willing, but am looking forward to getting in with it.

Shaz

• Norcalteach
    Norcalteach Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi all!!

Checking in:) I've completed 14/44 rounds so far and I'm doing pretty well. Been tired here and there- I feel dehydrated at times, but so far no skin reactions! I'm sure that will change soon. I still get emotional laying there, but not as much and I keep changing my song playlist everyday so I don't ruin all my favorite music with thoughts of radiation lol!

I have to go in twice a day because I have IBC and that's standard protocol at MD Anderson and most places for this diagnosis I believe.

I have found so far that keeping up my exercise helps with my energy, but I'm not sure how long I will be able to run through this course of treatment.

I will be thinking of you all through this- especially those with long drives.

Xox

• Bdagal
    Bdagal Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2017
    Options

hi ladies - I have a tattoo question for you (will need to ask the RO about this on Wed at my simulation as well): I was given 3 tattoos, one between the breasts, and one on the outer side of each breast under the armpit. So - they won't be aiming for these dots will they?? Why the need for a tattoo by the breast which is not being treated? (Is anyone else like me, thinking of all these questions after you leave your appointment?!)

Hope it's going well for those of you who've started already!

• Shaz1970
    Shaz1970 Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2017
    Options

Bdgal

I've got the same, and was wondering that!! Hopefully someone will know the answer, it didn't even cross my mind until I looked at them in the mirror once I got home

• sorella
    sorella Member Posts: 52
    edited April 2017
    Options

Norcalteach, I also felt very emotional laying there especially my first day (I have had only 3 so far) I have been concerned about being able to follow breathing directions so never asked about playing my music. I have been listening to the radio they play and fortunately heard some favs along the way. Last time though, the volume was too low and I felt so much more anxious. Music really comforts me. I guess I should ask if I can listen to mine. Can you hear them when they want you to hold your breath?

• LynnieRich
    LynnieRich Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017
    Options

hey ladies!!!

How's everyone doing? I was in the March group but the majority of treatments are in alril so I hope you don't mine me popping in. 😊

Norcalteach and bdagal, I believe the tattoo on the opposite side is purely to line you up. They use each point to line up our bodies with the lasers so we get the exact treatment field every time.

Friday I had my 22nd treatment. 11 more to go!! Woot woot!!!

Question for all of you... is anyone have pain but inside and not in the skin? I've been having what feels like rib pain for about 2.5 weeks now and it seems to be getting worse. Thought it was rads... then thought pulled muscle but definitely not so I was thinking rads again. But... it hurts pretty bad? Could this be rads?

Thanks ladies hope you're all doing well

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017
    Options

Norcalteach and bdagal - I actually thought to ask the question when I got the tattoo on the opposite side. It is to make sure you are level and properly lined up.

• letsgogolf
    letsgogolf Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hope everyone is doing well. I am becoming concerned about the breath holding comments. I began radiation last Thursday so I have only had 2 treatments. They have told me to breathe normally. Not once has anyone asked me to hold my breath at any point. Are all of you being asked to do this during radiation?

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited April 2017
    Options

I practiced breathing and holding my breath during simulation. They explained it was to move the heart away from the treated area. They take lots of pictures to determine IF it's necessary during treatments. It all depends on your anatomy. So if you're breathing normally during your treatments it's not an issue for you. if this is a concern I would ask them about it. I won't know if I have to do the breathing until my first treatment.

Yes, the tattoos are to line you up.

I've been using Shea moisture 100% coconut oil to keep moisturized prior to beginning treatments. I wanted to find something without a lot of ingredients in it. I'm waiting to see what they recommend once treatment begins.

Sending healingand peaceful thoughts to all.

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2017
    Options

letsgogolf - the breathing technique is to try and get the heart out of the radiation field if they are targeting the left breast. However, it is not required to use that technique. My RO told me the machine can emit the beam in between your natural breath too. In my case, my surgery site is on the inside of my breast closer to my heart so my RO does have me use the breath technique. He did say if for some reason I exhaled, the beam would turn off automatically to prevent heart damage.

• NormaJ
    NormaJ Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    Options

HI Nayda, I am also from SC ... I will have my CT scan and tattoo markings on Wed, April 12th....I will be doing 6 weeks of radiation.

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2017
    Options

Lynnie, it could be the rads. My ribs hurt all during my treatments too. I even had pain in the center of my left breast tissue but I don't have a left breast just TE. I'd ask your RO or the techs doing your treatments if it's not a day that you see your RO. They'll ask one of the nurses then they'll ask your RO and get an answer for you.

I have an aunt that they didn't do the breath hold for and now she has heart damage and has to have tests done every 2 weeks for the rest of her life. It's been 10 years since her treatment so maybe they didn't do it back then?? When I was told we'd be doing it I was very relieved. Please ask about it to ease your mind.

I've been very lucky with both my chemo and my radiation. I had AC chemo which is called the "red devil" and it causes heart damage also. Last time my heart was checked I was told it looks perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way!

Healing hugs and calming thoughts to everyone

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Re: radiation and the heart, My RO told me that the radiation of ten years ago is not the radiation of today. The progress they have made in protecting the heart is huge. My tumor was In my left breast so this was a big concern of mine. If I have to do the breathing treatment I will do it gladly. Love to all.

• Norcalteach
    Norcalteach Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017
    Options

sorella-

The music helps me immensely and I finally found a cd playlist that really helps me stay calm (it only took 14 times!) they speak to me through a microphone and it interrupts the music so I can hear them just fine:

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

Butterfly, my cancer is left side also and I can understand your concerns perfectly. My RO was able to line up the beam to hit under my TE (no damage) it's amazing how accurate they can be. The progress they make every year is mind boggling, I just wished they'd find a cure for all of us. Some people say there is a cure but the insurance/drug companies don't want it to be used as they'd lose a lot of money? I'm not so sure ???

• letsgogolf
    letsgogolf Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    Options

Mine is left breast and I am also having the nodes radiated. I am going to ask today. Definitely don't want heart or lung damage.

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Good morning,

I just posted on the March 2017 rad thread. Check out the video link to yoga for BC posted by another member, I stared yoga last week and I'm determined to get back to the gym more regularly.

I'm going for my verification today and beginning treatments tomorrow. I have faith in my RO and if breathing helps with moving heart out of the way I'll be holding my breath. It's only for 25 seconds and very doable. Thanks for sharing how accurate they are. Feeling much better about this!

I agree with you. More work needs to be done on prevention and cure. The general public has no idea what it's like for us. I'm so grateful to have found kindred spirits who can share concerns, research, recommendations, etc.

Blessings!

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Today is #11 of 20 (last 4 will be boosts). Still doing great with the green tea spray - no skin issues. Also using calendula gel in the morning and Mometasone cream in the evening.

Tomorrow they're going to do another CT simulation for a different position. She said I'll be laying more on my side rather than flat on my back like I am now. Anyone else do this?

As for the breathing, my lumpectomy was on the right side, so I've never been told to do the breathing thing. Just breathe normally.

letsgogolf - you're right....the actual radiation treatment is a breeze. Wham, bam, thank you m'am! It's just the drive to the facility, undress, put the gown on, wait and hope they're not backed up, ZAP, get dressed, drive back home or wherever.....

I hope everyone has a great day!

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ruby3813 - can you tell us a little more about your green tea spray and other creams you are using i.e. where you get them? My RO team keeps telling me to wait before using anything but I've been moisturizing like crazy with coconut oil prior to starting rads. Drive safely,

• Ruby3813
    edited April 2017
    Options

HI Butterfly,

My RO advised me to start using the green tea spray the first day of rads. The directions are to brew 1 or 2 green tea bags in 1 cup of water. Let it steep for at least an hour. Let cool and pour into a small spray bottle with a fine mist. Brew fresh every couple of days. He actually gives his patients the green tea and the spray bottle. Directions are to spray your affected boob up to 4 times a day. I've been doing it 3 times a day....once after my morning shower, at noon (I just go into the ladies room, lift up my bra and spray), then once at night when I get home from work. I could use it before I go to bed, but that's when I use the Mometasone cream he prescribed. You can either allow it to dry naturally, use a hair dryer, or blot it dry. You CAN have it on your skin when you have your rads treatment. My RO said his patients have had very good results (i.e. no skin issues) using the green tea spray. There's also a blog entry out in the worldwide web by a doctor who used it herself - Sara S. DeHart, MSN, Ph.D.

Good luck to you!

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thank you Ruby3813! Gentle hugs to you and all.

• Ruby3813
    edited April 2017
    Options

Butterfly,

I completely skipped over your request about info on the "other creams" I'm using. The Mometasone is a prescription steroid cream the RO prescribed. The Calendula gel is from Amazon and Boiron is the maker. I read about the calendula gel on these boards. My RO didn't recommend that one. In fact, he looked it up after I told him about it and he said to be careful because it has a bit of alcohol in it. But it hasn't bothered me yet, so I'm going to keep on using it.

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thank you again Ruby. I had my verification today and it went well. I don't have to do the breathing routine. Which I'm surprised because I'm small but they said that doesn't matter it's all about your anatomy. I start tomorrow and going to get the green tea! Love and gentle hugs to all

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

It sounds like everyone is doing great so far. Yay! All the skin under my left arm has dried up and is just flaking off. If I sweat to much it stings but doesn't seem to be doing any harm. I've got this beautiful tan on my left foob and I think my right foob is jealous! My scar has turned a really dark chocolate color but seems to be holding up nicely. My DH asked me last night why I had such a dark line across my foob? I told him it was my DBMX scar, he was amazed at how much radiation it had absorbed. I guess that's why some ROs are so concerned about having radiation to soon after surgery. My continued prayers that everyone continues to breeze through all of your treatments!

Gentle hugs to All 🤗

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi all:)

I had my tattoo and markings or mappings..idk.....on the 24th of march...I had to do the breathing in and out also during the ct scan...my tumor was in my left breast also...so wow...I haven't gotten a start date yet...and when I do start its for 6 weeks...my MO won't start me on my hormone blockers til I finish radiation..i wonder why...I am going to ask my nurse navigator tmrw...b/c the tumor I had was growing fast from my estrogen..so kinda worried that I haven't started my hormone blockers yet...I don't want another tumor to start growing...my period hasn't came back yet..but still a lil worried..lol.

Hi NormaJ...I am a SC gal too...lol:)

• LynnieRich
    LynnieRich Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017
    Options

wenchlori, glad to hear you are starting to feel better!! I did ask my doc about the pain and he just said "Rib tenderness is common." But he really brushed it off. Which I guess is good cause he's not concerned but it hurts a lot! More than tenderness... or at least it's gotten worse since I mentioned it. To hear you also had pain there eases my mind though.

I had #23 of 33 (5 will be boosts) today. I am getting my Supraclavicular nodes done and it's getting all red there with some brown spots. Everywhere else is just the smallest shade pinker. So, so far so good.

Question (again haha) do you ladies think if I did the green tea now it would help? I haven't been using it thus far. Am I too late?

Thanks! Lyn

• Ruby3813
    edited April 2017
    Options

WenchLori - glad to hear that your skin issues are healing nicely. Time does wonders.

nayda - I'm not due to start anti-hormone meds until after I finish radiation either, so maybe it's normal protocol? I don't really know.

LynnieRich - starting the green tea now can't hurt, so why not give it a try? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I went in for my 2nd CT simulation which will have me in a different position for my last 4 treatments (boosts). I'm laying on my left side (affected breast is right side), with my arm over my head. Not the most comfortable position, so hopefully, the zaps won't last very long. The technician asked if I was comfortable and I told her probably as comfortable as laying on a metal jail cell bed would be...lol.

Gentle hugs all around!

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Just got back from my first treatment and it went well. I asked my RO nurse if I could use the green tea and pure coconut oil and she said the RO likes to wait before giving anything to make sure it's the rads and not anything being put on the breast re: side effects.

I told her I wanted to be proactive so she gave me aquaphor. By the way I looked at the ingredients in aquaphor when I got home and there is alcohol in it which is drying. . She mentioned aloe but I can't find 100% aloe without alcohol. Anyone using aloe?

I'm going to discuss this with my RO on Thursday. I'm really tempted to go forward with the green tea and coconut oil but i dont want to screw things up. Any thoughts?