Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation April 2017

Options

Comments

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm just using the calendula cream at this time. I'm having tightness issues but it's from my muscle contracting and I may need to have some saline removed from my TE

• Trooper2
    Trooper2 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ruby3813, did or do you have any open blisters from rad? I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DON'T USE the 100% ALOE VERA GEL on open wounds. I tried that today and was screaming bloody murder. It hurt. I couldn't wait to get it off carefully. Then I put coconut oil on it. That was much better. I wouldn't have thought aloe vera would hurt. No offense to the person that recommended it. I know some stuff works for some, but not for everyone. My RO prescribed SSD Silver Sulfadiazine cream and that wasn't doing anything. I'll ask about Mometasone Furoate. Big tender hugs to everyone.

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

You have to be very careful with the silvadene. Do not get it on untreated heathy skin, it will take healthy skin off too. Been there done that! I wish my RO would have had more completeinstructions on how to use it. OUCH

• Bdagal
    Bdagal Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2017
    Options

hi gals - just checking in to see how everyone's making out....Today is day 6 for me, and I've been feeling queasy since yesterday morning....anyone else feel like this? (It's like that morning sickness that lasts all day feeling.....it's not overwhelming, it's just there....). I've been using Miaderm (apply that immediately after), and then I use either the Miaderm or my aloe Vera gel for the rest of the day, every few hours. My treatments are at 11 so I've not been using anything in the mornings beforehand. So far, no redness. A lil achey under the armpit / along the outer rib cage, but the boob itself feels ok. I did question my RO re the angle of the machine whenever it switches to the right side as it looks like the machine is going almost right under the bed and i was concerned about where these beams are actually entering me. She assured me that it just a steep angle aimed at the breast so I'm hoping her calibrations are right!

THe week is almost over! Hang in there, ladies!

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2017
    Options

Trooper2 - My 4 weeks is complete tomorrow and I haven't gotten any blisters throughout the process. You might want to double check the "inactive ingredients" in your aloe vera to see if they snuck some alcohol in it. That might be why it hurt so much.

The biggest SE I'm dealing with right now is fatigue. It takes everything in me to get out of bed and come to work for half a day before I go for rads treatment. Very happy that tomorrow is my last one, but we're leaving for vacation tomorrow evening and I'm afraid I'm not going to be very much fun. Thank God we're not going somewhere or doing anything exerting! Right now, I just want to lay in a lounge chair under a palm tree!

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

Bdgal, continued prayers for you. I had a few days that I felt nauseous in the first week but it soon went away. I hope it passes quickly for you too.

Ruby, I hope you can enjoy your vacation. A chair under a palm tree sounds wonderful!

Gentle healing hugs to everyone 🤗

• gigi21
    gigi21 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi All - I started the first of my 33 treatments on Monday, so #4 will be today.

I have noticed a weird, kind of bitter taste in my mouth the last couple days. Doesn't seem, to go away with the usual teeth brushing, mouthwash, mints etc. Anyone else have this?

• letsgogolf
    letsgogolf Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    Options

Bdagal I know what you mean about the positions of the machine. If you group is like mine they will x-ray you once a week and make slight adjustments. Not sure exactly why they do this but others have said that their radiation people do the same.

Ruby3813 Enjoy your vacation! I am so jealous!

gigi21 I have not yet noticed any strange taste in my mouth. I have had gum in my mouth during treatments and just chew while the machine is moving. Otherwise, I notice that I have this strange urge to swallow constantly, probably because I know I should not move. I also seem to want to scratch somewhere after they have me positioned and ready to go.

• Ruby3813
    edited April 2017
    Options

letsgogolf - thanks! I'm really looking forward to it.

My "urge" once I get positioned on the bed is to take a deep breath. No one has ever complained about it or told me not to, but that's the one thing I feel the need to do once I get settled. Of course, the inevitable urge to scratch something has come up too...lol. I usually just lay there and repeat over and over....please let me get thru this, please let me get thru this..lol.

gigi21 - some people get a metallic taste in their mouth for some reason. I've never had that happen.

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited April 2017
    Options

As someone facing radiation but who hasn't started yet, do the techs tell you how long each session will be? That was my complaint during my MRI - I would like to have known where I was in the procedure (halfway done - 10 minutes to go - that sort of thing)

MJ

• Ruby3813
    edited April 2017
    Options

Tappermom - the actual radiation portion doesn't take long....maybe 5 minutes tops. What takes longer is getting you positioned exactly right each time. But once they start the zaps, it really doesn't take long. At least that was my case. I know everyone is different though.

• letsgogolf
    edited April 2017
    Options

Tappermom38… My tech's do not give me updates during the procedure but I can tel you that my treatments are very brief and I am having whole breast, axillary nodes and supraclavicular nodes radiated on the left side. My guess is 5 to 6 minutes from the time the machine starts. The machine moves to 4 different positions and at each stop there is a brief buzzing noise, sometimes a short follow-up buzzing noise and that is it. Takes longer to get undressed, positioned on the table and the coordinates set up. I was pleasantly shocked at how short the process is.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017
    Options

Tappermom38 - The radiation therapists told me at my first appointment just this past Tuesday that they would Xray first to make sure I was set up properly and that would take 1-3 minutes. Then, the radiation which takes less than 5 minutes. As letsgogolf said the machine stops 4 times as it rotates around you. I was surprised that my back on the right side is being radiated but was told that was to hit the lymph nodes. I'm applying Glaxal base back and front, right side 3 times a day.

I have had to fight the urge to scratch my nose both treatments! They did tell me just to breathe normally.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Heading to my half way point today. It's my experience that the actual treatment is very brief. I repeat a mantra to myself so I don't think about itching,I also take a sip of water to moisten my throat before we begin. The more treatments the easier it seems to get. I'm not getting any metallic taste. Ask your RO. Maybe he can recommend a mouthwash. Gentle hugs 🤗 to all.

• ForeverOptimistic
    ForeverOptimistic Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2017
    Options

Wishing you all well. I had 30 treatments with my arms over my head.

The bad news - I cramped and am now dealing with frozen shoulder. I took two pain killers a day to get through the position. The pain goes into my neck and down to my arm. I have limited arm movement and am currently undergoing physio twice a week. Acupuncture is helping. I'm told it will be a long and slow process with no guarantee of a full recovery. My elbow simply will not bend properly. I can't get my arm behind my back. I can barely touch my butt. It gets me out of house work.

Happy

The good news - my skin survived like a trouper. No itching, burning or peeling. I finished radiation Feb 28th. The doctors recommended lubriderm. I read the ingredients and steered clear of the alcohol based stuff. I took coconut oil with me and applied it as soon as the treatment ended. I gave myself a 3 hour window. No oil a min of 3 hours before a treatment. (oil does burn)

The radiation techs were amazed every day they looked at my skin.

I hope this helps someone

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

Tappermom, my treatments took about 12 mins once they got started. I got 4 zaps in 5 different machine positions not bad all.

• Bdagal
    edited April 2017
    Options

hi gigi21 - I haven't noticed any strange taste thus far.

Tappermom38......nobody speaks to me during actual treatment.....they position me and then leave the room. As others have said, it takes maybe all of 5 or 6 minutes and you're done.

Bravepoint....do your ribs hurt at all yet? Mine are a lil sore. My nurse today told me that the nausea tends to be a bit more common with right sided treatment, and the sore ribs. I also feel a bit puffy in the armpit...it doesn't hurt, I just notice it when my arm is at my side.

Wenchlori - thanks!! Fingers crossed, it passes

My techs did X-rays today, so I guess Thursday's is my X-ray day (I also started on a Thursday so I guess that makes sense). He said they look fine. I swear I've had different gals each time, but the same guy each time, so Chuck is the only one whose name I know! 😂

• bravepoint
    edited April 2017
    Options

Bdagal- No, my ribs feel fine so far. No nausea either! I do feel really tired though.....

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

To All; is it ok to dye your hair during radiation treatments?

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

Butterfly, that's a very good question. I didn't and still don't have enough hair to dye during my treatments.

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited April 2017
    Options

I would like to join this post. I started rads today. First of 25 (5 weeks). I have a hard time holding my position with my arms over head. Hoping it gets easier. I have calcific tendonitis in opposite shoulder : arm and it hurts pretty badly to hold in that position. Has anyone else had this happen? Can I do some exercises to make it better?

Also I was given a prescription cream but have heard cetiphil is good too. What do you use?

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited April 2017
    Options

Welcome, scared as hell! I haven't started rads yet - still waiting for my referral. But I share your concern about holding my arms over my head (I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders). I did find that the mat Pilates I was doing prior to my surgery helped me through the MRI where I had to hold my arms out in front like Supergirl for 45 minutes. That was excruciating! I'm anxious to get back to Pilates; I'm three weeks out from my lumpectomy and think I'll give it a go next week.

Best of luck to you tomorrow and the succeeding days!

MJ

• Rwrighty
    Rwrighty Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thank you butterfly123, I am just anxious. I will write down my questions and hopefully more info will help me deal with my fears. Nice to have this forum.

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Rwrighty - it's normal to feel anxious. This entire breast cancer maze is filled with angst and "not sure what to expect" situations.When I was first diagnosed I was afraid to ask questions. I didn't want to look at my pathology report. But, I found out very quickly, that in order for me to gain some control over this situation I needed to learn everything I could about my Dx, I needed to ask questions, I needed to do research. I needed to swallow my fears. And it's OK to share these fears. I still have fears and doubts. I'm sure I always will. But some days are better than others. I know that knowledge is power. We can't make informed decisions without it. The women in these forums are my heroes. The information we find here is a great source of comfort and support. You can do this! We are here for you and for each other,

Blessings to all!

• bravepoint
    edited April 2017
    Options

scaredashell - I have been using Glaxal Base cream 3 times a day. So far so good, but it's only been 3 treatments. I only have my right arm above my hide. It's cradled pretty well and not uncomfortable. You're in that position for less than 10 minutes during rads. It would be longer though during your CT simulation. The technicians/therapists did ask multiple times if i was Ok, comfortable in the position.

Good luck!

Gail

• Bdagal
    edited April 2017
    Options

hi scaredashell - not sure about other places, but when my arms are back they are actually on arm rests, and they position them so that I'm comfortable....so you aren't actually holding your arms yourself, if that makes sense? Still wouldn't be an easy position for someone with shoulder issues though.

Ok so I have a strange thing to mention....I haven't seen this anywhere else and it's kinda embarrassing. When I went for treatment yesterday, laying on the bed, I was like 'what is that smell'?! First I thought maybe the tech had bad breath as she was leaning over me. But then she left and I still smelled it. Was kinda like if you leave your laundry in the washing machine for too long before drying. So I was like hmm, I wonder if it's the sheet I'm laying on? Tried to smell my armpit cuz I haven't been able to shave and that Toms of Maine I'm using is pretty useless...but nope, armpit smelled ok. So I went to the dressing room, smelled my clothes and they smelled fine. Hmm. Came home, was reapplying my cream and checking myself out as I noticed I'm starting to get a lil red, especially under the boob....and as Im checking myself out, I smell it again. It's the skin under the boob. What the heck?!? What's causing this?? Can I do anything for it?? I'm mortified. 😩

• letsgogolf
    edited April 2017
    Options

Bdagal Oh my gosh! The same has been happening to me. I am constantly asking my husband if he can smell a strange odor. I have not been able to identify what it is or where it is coming from. I have been smelling it since my lumpectomy. Sometimes as I am sitting still I just get this strange whiff of something. I started thinking that it was from the iodine, antiseptic, alcohol or adhesive bandages that absorbed into my skin. I have even wondered if they could have left a sponge inside.

• sorella
    sorella Member Posts: 52
    edited April 2017
    Options

Has anyone out there experienced a slight rash NOT in the area of radiation but elsewhere? I have a very slight rash on my stomach and maybe neck? It doesn't itch as of yet. I think I can pretty much ignore it but am getting a bit paranoid and of course it's Friday.

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi, ladies!

I know I started this topic, then fell off the planet. Thanks again for checking on me, Bravepoint.

My mapping session was a total disaster. First, they were running an hour late. I'd been very reluctant to do a 2:30 p.m. appointment on the Friday before leaving for vacation the next morning, but the nurse wanted to be able to get the processing started while I was gone. Next, the radiation oncologist was called to another facility for an emergency. She knew I would have problems and had planned to be there. I want prone position to protect my heart and lungs (left-sided tumor). Unfortunately, my encapsulated shoulder has different ideas with my limited range of motion further decreased by lymphedema. The tech spent 10-15 minutes reaching the doctor for input on positioning. When the prone thing wasn't working, a second tech was brought in. She tried to set me up on my side with my legs going right, upper torso pointing left with bad arm up as high as possible & head to the right... something about an oblique angle being more protective. I'd been on the table for 45 minutes when they finally moved me into the CT machine. I'd had scans on my back in September & November without sedation so thought I'd be alright, but the edge of the machine being right in my face gave me a major panic attack. I told them, "Get me out NOW!" and started ripping markers & wires off barely waiting for the table to be lowered before I jumped off. I practically ran out of the building at 4:40 p.m.

My fears about the late appointment and traffic were well justified as it took an hour and 40 minutes to get home. All the twisting flared my herniated disc up big time making packing tons of fun. Still, it was great to see my family for the first time in over 3 years!

I am reluctantly going to try again this coming week, but had to arrange a ride so I can be sedated. How long did you have to actually be in the machine for the mapping?

Yesterday marked 11 months since my diagnosis and I have had one delay and complication after another. Wasn't radiation supposed to be the easy part compared to chemo? Shocked

Lyn, With Apologies for the L-O-N-G Post

• bravepoint
    edited April 2017
    Options

VLH - Sorry that your mapping appointment was so awful for you! I hope they can make it easier for you next time. The actual time for the machine to do it's thing in the CT simulation was maybe 5 minutes. If it's consolation, I had to hold my arm over my head and lay still that day much longer than I do for a radiation treatment.

I started feeling very very tired right after treatment #1. MY RO thinks it's just everything catching up with me. It's been 10 months now since I found the lump that chnaged my life.....

Gail