Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation April 2017

Options

Comments

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited April 2017
    Options

I asked too. My team takes an x-ray every time. They told me the same thing to ensure correct positioning. I asked them about the danger of thisand was told not to worry. Jeeze I better not start glowing in the dark!

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2017
    Options

letsgogolf - I have an extra film taken every Monday. That's what the techs told me too - it's just to make sure everything is still line up correctly.

• letsgogolf
    letsgogolf Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    Options

Butterfly1234 I know just what you mean about glowing in the dark. And to think that I avoided getting mammograms as often as I should have because I wanted to avoid radiation. I have had more radiation in the last 10 weeks than I ever dreamed possible and more coming in the next several weeks. I guess these x-rays for positioning should not concern us.

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

letsgogolf - I've decided not to worry about this. If they require pictures to make sure we're positioned correctly then in my view that's more important. One day at a time...right? Hugs!

• letsgogolf
    edited April 2017
    Options

butterfly12 - You are so right. Time to stop sweating the small stuff!

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

letsgogolf- we'll all continue to support one another. Naming and sharing our fears can often lessen the power they have over us. Being in this community has been invaluable to me.

• Elizabeth7
    Elizabeth7 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2017
    Options

Guys

One of my tattoos seems to have disappeared over the weekend. Could this be possible? I got 5 tattoos - 4 that look like thick black dots and one black line (about 1cm) on my ribs. The line has disappeared but the others are still visible. Does this mean I have to go through the whole positioning experience again to re mark me??? They told me I could shower swim etc and they wouldn't come off.

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Elizabeth - I had three permanent dots. One on each side and one in the middle of my chest. The others were not permanent and washed off in the shower. My RO team told me not to worry if they wear off. So don't worry. Its the permanent marks they look at once you start your treatments.

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited April 2017
    Options

butterfly, I have a question for you: Your surgery was a month before mine. Has your underarm pain subsided? I'm only two weeks out and having a lot of discomfort.

MJ

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Tappersmom - I have sensitivity where the sentinenal node was removed - close to armpit. I was told this is a really sensitive area. I don't have any severe pain now in either incision. It's kind of a dull ache or pinprick that comes and goes as does the itching. Your breast surgeon, MO and RO will monitor you closelly. Two weeks seems like a long time but it's not. Give yourself time to heal. However, if you have concerns get it checked, if only for your own peace of mind. Hope this helps a bit. Ask your surgeon or MOabout taking Tylenol (I had to wait before taking Ibuprofen right after surgery) and applying warm compresses.

• FightingTheFight
    FightingTheFight Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2017
    Options

I've been kinda M.I.A. from this thread (just go too busy), but I'm glad I popped back in. I had my 11th treatment today and they've never mentioned anything about a special breathing technique and I'm being treated on my left side. My lump was close to my chest wall and I mentioned to my RO, before treatment started, that I was concerned about that. I'm supposed to see her tomorrow, so I'm going to ask her about that.

Also, I feel like I can see some darkening in my skin (I have dark skin already). It's hard to tell in some places because I had a reaction to the dye used during my lumpectomy and SNB and my skin turned faintly bluish and has been slow to clear up. I'm using aloe vera gel on my skin, Aquaphor and a butter mixture (mango butter, avocado butter, mixed with various oils).

I felt like I had gotten a little bit of a breather after chemo. But since surgery (and having complications) and now with daily radiation, I feel like I'm back in the gauntlet.

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2017
    Options

Fightingthefight, its good to see you back! It's definitely a roller coaster with the ups and downs of our treatments. As soon as we feel better it's time to start another step in the process of BC. Keeping you in my prayers always

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017
    Options

Fightingthefight - You're not alone. I feel the same way I'm just over a month PFC and have been feeling good, not so tired, gardening, competing with my dogs, etc. Rads start this morning for me so I'm anxious about how it will affect me.....

Gail

• Rwrighty
    Rwrighty Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017
    Options

I had my lumpectomy April 11th. I am scheduled to see the RO and MO May 11th. All 8 nodes were clear and had clean margins. For whatever reason I am not all on board with the plan for radiation. And if I say this out loud , I am told to stop thinking that way , that this is the plan. Here are my concerns- when they did the BRCA testing I was negative for that but positive for a rare gene - melanoma - pancreatic cancer syndrome . I have had several family members die of pancreatic cancer and have melanoma. And my cancer was in my left breast. My cancer was only 8 mm but was invasive . I just want to compare my risks if that is possible. I am scared

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

Rwrighty- the treatments we decide to do or not do area very personal decision. My advice is to gather all of that facts that are specific to your situation . Ask questions of your medical team. Take someone with you if you can. I'm on my 6th rad with no side effects. A little redness and a little itching that comes and goes. It's an overwhelming time for us. We are here for you.

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Down to my last week now! Today starts the new positioning (will be on my right side, treating left breast). They'll do the markings today, then I'll have the first of 4 boosts. Then, God willing, I'm done with the rads.

Going in for rads treatment has certainly been time consuming, but I know it's for a good cause.

Wishing you all an easy road to good health!

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

Rwrighty, Butterfly is absolutely right. There's so much info out there with all different types of treatments etc. If you can add your diagnosis/surgery info to your posts people with similar diagnoses can see it and help with some of your questions. It's all very confusing. Have you checked the other threads for those with a similar diagnosis? That really helped me when I joined last year. I've added you to my prayer list.

• WenchLori
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ruby, yay! You're almost done!

• LAW193
    LAW193 Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have my first radiation consultation on Thursday and I'm definitely nervous about the whole process. Is anyone doing radiation in the morning and then going to work afterwards? Are there any drawbacks to before vs after work?

Rwrighty: I don't want radiation either and I asked about whether I really needed it or not and the doctors convinced me. They explained why based on my particular diagnosis so definitely ask what your personal risk would be if you didn't have radiation so you can make an informed choice. I spent some time on here trying to find people that had lumpectomy but didn't have radiation and couldn't. But it seems that recurrence risks are very individualized based on exact diagnosis, age, and family history.
  • vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    edited April 2017
    Options

Best of luck with rads, BravePoint!

Lyn

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thanks, Lyn. One down, 28 more to go! It wasn't as bad as I thought this morning though I didn't realize that my back would be radiated as well. Good thing I bought lots of Glaxal base!

• Rwrighty
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thank you ! My appt is May 11th and I will inquire about this. I am new to this sight . How do you add your dx to your post?

• Rwrighty
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thank you. I am new to this site . Sooooo much information! How do I add the diagnosis to the post. I added it in my profile

• Trooper2
    Trooper2 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi Rwrighty, you go into my treatments in your profile and add it there. It will ask you if you want it public or not.

• Trooper2
    edited April 2017
    Options

Law193, I just finished five weeks of rad. Some people get very tired with rad. I was ok. Towards the the end of treatment my skin got very red and sore. I ended up getting a blister under my armpit. I used a couple of creams afterwards not before rad that the doc recommended to help. Hasn't really helped. In fact I'm on here to see what other people have tried to get rid of the tightness and something that is not greasy. Hope this helps.

• Shaz1970
    Shaz1970 Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi all,

I went for my 1st day of rads yesterday, but after the X-ray to check positioning they pulled the treatment as I'm showing 'significantly' more swelling than was on my CT scan 4 weeks ago, they said it looks like a fluid build up, called the doctor, who had a feel and said it was scar tissue and we could proceed with the treatment, then 45 mins later they decide they can't as it involves adding to much to the area being radiated.

They've told me to return today as per plan, unless they ring me through the day.

Anyone experienced anything lik this?? 🤦🏼♀️🤦🏼♀️🤦🏼♀️

• letsgogolf
    edited April 2017
    Options

I have been using Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel (Walmart) a few times per day. At night I use Cetaphil cream from a white jar with a green lid (Sam's Club). Both are soothing and non-greasy. No skin issues right now.

• Trooper2
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thanks, letsgogolf. I'll give that a try. I tried coconut oil last night, that helped some.

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2017
    Options

Trooper2 - you might want to ask your RO for a prescription for Mometasone Furoate cream. I've been using that and a green tea spray for 3.5 weeks and don't have any skin issues other than a little tenderness.

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm alsousing Shea Moisture coconut oil with great success. No redness yet. Keeping all these suggestions in case I need them. Tomorrow is my half way mark. Gentle hugs all.