Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey all - here's the bra I got off Amazon - it's less than $8 and all cotton and it has a front closure and soft full coverage so it doesn't irritate the armpit or incision and since I still have a right boob - it provides support there. Just posting in case you need an inexpensive post-surgery bra: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9MWZ2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No joke - I order several of them of them so I never have to wait for one to get out of the wash.

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey all - here's the bra I got off Amazon - it's less than $8 and all cotton and it has a front closure and soft full coverage so it doesn't irritate the armpit or incision and since I still have a right boob - it provides support there. Just posting in case you need an inexpensive post-surgery bra: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9MWZ2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No joke - I order several of them of them so I never have to wait for one to get out of the wash.

• ShockedAt48
    ShockedAt48 Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks for your thoughts JenRuns and SBKH!

SusanGA - I know exactly how you feel, I am about 4 weeks out and have been waiting for my Oncotype DX results to come in to see if I need chemo and my doctor emails that they haven't come in yet and that I should postpone my appointment for this Wednesday. I wouldn't be able to reschedule until 7/28. I was freaking out and decided to call pathology and they had emailed my oncologist that very morning! I am keeping my appointment for tomorrow and they told me the results early, 16! It's a low score so I don't think I will have to have chemo! I can start rads and hormone therapy. I will find everything out tomorrow. This whole process is SO STRESSFUL, not knowing what your life is going to be for 6 months. Good luck with getting your results soon. It was like a weight lifted off myshoulders when I found out the score.

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2017
    Options
    SusanGA, I am in the same oncotype situation with you. My oncologist ordered the test two weeks ago and I called yesterday to find out that they didn't send any of my pathology results with it so...another week to wait. This wait has been the absolute worst. I am feeling better, anxious to be more active, but there's this last EXTREMELY important detail thats looming over me, and until we know these results, I can't get out of the funk.
    I hope others don't have to go through this anxiety, it's not fun.
  • JMBG
    edited July 2017
    Options

Shockat48' I'm so excited for you! 18 is a great number, I hope your oncologist visit goes well!

• Toughiebird
    Toughiebird Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hello all - Ive made my surgery date for bmx and reconstruction. it is week aug 21 - probably Aug 24. This has been an agonizing journey to get here with this decision - with the DCIS, high grade cells and chek2 - i finally feel confident this is the right decision for ME. And mother with terrible diagnoses just found... im learning to weed out the naysayers and the 'too many questions" peeps!

may i ask logistical advice? im still terrified but know this is right for my situation...

1. what tops or PJs do I buy to prepare for hospital and after- i am petite ( 5'2 and a size 4) - large or XL buttoned down soft PJ tops

2. do i outsource the dog - who is so affectionate but comes to me all the time?

3. i have hectic life and new boss (haven't told yet) and teen daughter with bday 2 days before surgery - trying to complete everything and hubby says stay busy but should i chillax if i can week of - does it matter...? i am high energy and being busy actually makes me feel good - i know once the 24 comes, In all down and all about ME - medical leave from work, not catering to anyone but my health and recovery

4. Recovery with drains - any advice for pain and first 2 weeks after>

grateful and wishing all well and lots of support and love - toughiebird

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi Toughiebird -

Good job - getting the decision made is tough and you have been very thoughtful and know what you need.

I'm 5'3" size 0 and I went up to medium/large front button pjs from walmart/target and also got some short sleeve hoodie sweatshirts from amazon that zip up the front. The bigger sizes accommodated the ace bandage + post surgery camisole with drain pockets

Yes - outsource the dog! I sent mine to my in laws for 2 reasons - 1) the exuberant doggie affection and 2) I knew I would not want to get up at 6:30am to feed her and let her out.

As for busy advice - I did stay busy but actually wish I'd just relaxed the day before and enjoyed feeling normal. I'm a pretty modest person, but if I'd been the bikini type - I would've lounged around all day at the pool enjoying the last day with my boobs.

Post surgery - I wish I'd done the fanny pack for the drains. But I did like my drain pockets - but I was always working around the long tubes. I'm at post surgery day 12 - I'm quite tired, have some swelling and still have soreness. I think recovery is highly individual. I will tell you this - it's not fun - but it's not the nightmare scenario I had imagined. The biggest pain is just not using your arms like you want if you're used to carrying laundry, loading/unloading dishes, reaching things on high shelves, carrying a computer bag, pouring a water pitcher, unloading dishes etc. I tried driving today - it may have been too early because I got sore turning and hanging on to the steering wheel. That said, you will likely be pleasantly surprised like I was and find that it's not as bad you imagine. Please plan to have plenty of help so you can get proper rest.

Keeping you in my prayers! As we get closer to the day - let us know the time as well.

• JMBG
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey toughiebird,

I'm glad you've got a plan for treatment and you are confident in your decisions. I'm also small, 5'3" and I bought medium tops that buttoned in the front from Soma. They are really soft, I had others but the satin type bothered my under arm area that went from numb, to tingly and now 5 weeks out, is still somewhere in between. If you have time, go to a store and look at the sizes since brands really differ. Cotton is key!

I kept our dog at the house but then my husband took over managing her, she's a golden and is not very needy. Somehow, she just knew to leave me alone, they are very intuitive.

The first few days, I tried to keep the pain meds in me at the proper times but then lengthen the times out. Everyone's pain threshold is different, I like to think I'm a warrior, but no need to be in pain. My husband was a trouper with the drains and keeping the log, but I didn't have any problems maintaining them either.

It helped me mentally to change from my pjs into clothes each day and stay in the family room instead of my bed. You'll probably want to sleep propped up for the first few weeks, it helped me with the drains. I ended up taping them down just below the hole because it wigged me out otherwise. I found it more comfortable to sleep in the god awful cotton bra they put me in after surgery, I just felt like it was holding everything in place, including the drains. :

Sending hugs and prayers your way!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm my case the more active I was post surgery, the more drainage I had and now more than 3 weeks out, my drains remain. The drains suck, sleeping on your back sucks. Fight the urge to be as active as you were for a little while.

Fingers crossing this Monday is finally drain removal day.

• flbuckeye93
    flbuckeye93 Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey toughiebird,

Making the decision is a hard thing to do. I'm four weeks out and I will tell you that pain is very differently for each person. I had flap recon and am still working on the right meds for nerve pain.

I used a fanny pack for my drains, but I had four to manage. Those aren't painful. They're just a nuisance.

Make sure you get a good constipation med. anesthesia and pain meds can cause problems. I got a script for generlac. It worked wonders on its own and combined with senokot s.

I wore button front tops and got tank tops from Target that I could step into. By week four, I'm able to bend my head down and carefully pull on larger, stretchier shirts.

Take time to rest afterwards and stay hydrated. Let others do for you. Some days will be good and others not so much. Be patient with the healing process. (Easier said than done as I sit here having had a difficult day med/pain wise).

Best of luck

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

Illimae - agree - it is so hard to resist being "too active." Even when your body gives you a pain signal... I'm wondering if that's why I still have drain shaped swelling. No more drain - but it looks like it is still in. I've only washed my twice in the last 12 days because I'm worried it's too much activity.

• dixiechick442
    dixiechick442 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm five weeks post op today. I have another surgery in October. I went back to work this week for a few days but I'll still get tired and slowing easing back in.

I sent my dog to my parents house because she jumps on me.

I got PJ's from Steinmart but my favorite thing to wear is cotton rompers.

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

DixieChick - where did you get cotton rompers?

• ShockedAt48
    edited July 2017
    Options

I had my appointment with my oncologist and she recommended that I don't have chemo since my Oncotype DX score was 16 and the risks outweigh the advantages. At my first appointment, she told me that my mortality rate was 20% with surgery and radiation, 13% with hormone therapy, and 6% with chemo. I thought since I have a low score that my mortality rate would be in the 6% range but it's at 10% now. I am not happy with that, single digits sound so much better than double digits. Has anyone experienced this? She wanted me to do chemo for a 7% reduction but not a 4% reduction. I'm so confused, I don't want chemo but I want the best chance for survival. This whole breast cancer is so stinking stressful. Survival, mortality, percentages, recurrences. I was not expecting this. I thought if caught early you could be cured. It's when all the effects from the surgery are done you then have time to think too much! My next focus is starting radiation hopefully soon and start HT therapy. I am also walking and trying to stop drinking soda.

• illimae
    edited July 2017
    Options

Shocked, I'm sorry, I know it's difficult with the options and scenarios. I learned a couple things about cancer so far.

1. Even if you're "cured", it's possible it could come back, most likely within a few years but sometimes 15, 20 down the road. It seems to lurk around the corner and we have to find a way to both be aware and move on.

2. I got checked out 2 days after feeling my lump and was diagnosed in less than 2 weeks, I thought I caught it early but it was already stage IV at 41with a spot on my hip bone. In my opinion, catching it early is mostly luck not necessarily what cancer awareness ads and literature predict.

The good news is we're tough enough to handle any crap that comes our way :)

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2017
    Options

shock@48....boy do I agree with you. My Oncotype is delayed so I don't know the score but he told me that I now have a 20 percent chance of recurrence with mastectomy. I was hoping for less. He started me on Arimidex but I did not ask how low that brought me. He said he would only recommend chemo if I was in the high or high intermediate range. Now I'm thinking I need to research diet, lifestyle etc. etc. .. also my genetic testing has not come in yet. I am 70 (but healthy I thought) and I think they are very focused on side effects. A person on another board said that at my age when you fix one thing you might break another!!!

Along those notes, I'm thinking my desire to stay informed might be getting eclipsed by my desire to stay sane. Just kidding (sort of).

Toughiebird.....good for you for getting everything scheduled. I think there is a strength that comes from knowing you have begun to fight back. It sounds like you have made really good decisions. I was very active after my surgery and five weeks out I am back to normal activity. That being said, perhaps my swelling was a result of that so what the heck do I know! What I wore all the time was soft tank tops with large Chico type button downs over them. Since I had company almost every day that worked for me. I also got these very soft T shirts from target that I could step into. That was great (stepped into the tanks as well)

I have a little fur baby and he stayed home but my husband walked him and he is way too old to jump on me anymore. So no help,there.

Blessings on all,of you brave ladies today.

• Kimhf
    Kimhf Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Options

Oncotype score - I had my lumpectomy on June 16. I was told I would have my Oncotype score two weeks later. One day about a week ago I got the weirdest phone call saying they were from the health system I go to and after that all I heard were the words "genetic testing" and "urgent". It flipped me out. Well, what had happened was the insurance turned my test down. I just can't believe it. Apparently the doctor's office fought with the insurance company but I'm STILL waiting for the test. They're saying it should come in on July 27. Crazy when my surgery was well over a month before. Also desperately want to get started on whatever treatments I have to have.

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2017
    Options

Stopping by to give an update. 3/7 nodes are positive with the largest node tumor being 14 mm. Largest breast tumor is 3.4 cm. Grade 3. With only 3 nodes that puts me stage 2. Next step will be to get scans then meet with oncologist. Btw the drains hurt and so does the mode site . I have no idea how some ladies came home and only took Tylenol. If I don't move I'm ok . Tightness isn't too bad either but mine are over the pecs. The incisions are ok too it looks like he did a good job.

Hope you are all doing ok.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited July 2017
    Options

Drains are a hassle that's for sure. It took me a few days to get off the heavy pain killers. Motrin worked better than Tylenol for me though. Everyone is different. No need to suffer. If you need them take them! Sorry to hear about node involvement bet better that you are stage 2. Hopefully the chemo/radiation/meds will clear out anything that possibly remains. I was the same way. If I didn't move I was fine. It gets better!

I think the surgery was harder for me than chemo actually. I just want to be able to reach my clothes or completely empty the dishwasher without help. I'm starting pt for cording tomorrow if my insurance referral gets processed.

• Toughiebird
    edited July 2017
    Options

you are an amazing team of women. Thank you so much... this is helping me prepare. im terrified at the same time but organization helps me - even though i know i have no control. Thank you Thank you all. I will stay in touch on my surgery date/time so we can exchange good wishes and prayers.

• ShockedAt48
    edited July 2017
    Options

Illimae - thanks for your thoughts.

Kimhf - I understand your anxiety completely since timeliness is so important!

I was very anxious about going back to work this week. I was afraid of all the attention that I would receive. It was fine, most people were very caring and it was nice to feel so welcomed back. A few didn't acknowledge anything as well. A few male co-workers could not keep their eyes off my breasts when they first saw me. Their eyes were drawn like magnets. Men! I don't know why, but I found this hilarious. Has anyone else found people staring at their chests?

• legomaster225
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'll bet its kind of nice to be back to work. It would be one more slice of normalcy. Happy for you Shocked! I have been working from home which is great but I miss my coworkers.

I don't really notice anyone staring at my breasts but I am very small (and reconstructed the same) so it is probably boring for them. I think my breasts will look pretty much the same as before once the side swelling goes down. Nipples are slightly pointing to the side but that's about it.I can say that I would be perfectly comfortable sitting in a room without my shirt on after all this though. I don't even let the nurses leave the room anymore to get into a gown. I figure it saves me time waiting for them to come back.

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

Since I won't be a "good" prosthetic until after mid-Sept, I've been wondering about that too - like will anyone look and notice? I tried to keep it quiet - but my church put me on the prayer list. Half of the people I work with go to my church, including our president and my VP. And they put me down as having a double mastectomy. (I had a uni). Sooooo. This will be fun to clear up when I get back to work. I'd been keeping HIGHLY confidential on purpose. That said, I'm grateful for all the extra prayers. It's always comforting to know people are pulling for you.

• legomaster225
    edited July 2017
    Options

Mucki, is radiation in your treatment plan? My doctors are struggling with my radiation plan. I wish there weren't so many variables. I plan on doing some research again this weekend.

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2017
    Options

Legomaster

I haven't met with oncologist yet surgery was last Friday and was just told about node status yesterday.. I'll keep you posted now I'm waiting for scan appt to be made.

• ShockedAt48
    edited July 2017
    Options

Legomaster - Before the diagnosis, I would have cringed to have so many people look at my breasts but now they don't even really feel like breasts in a way. It was comforting to be back at work and socializing with all my customers. My focus was off of my 'situation' more than at home. But once at home I begin to research everything obsessively. In some ways its good but not in others. I have my radiation consultation set up for this Monday. They wanted to put the appointment out for awhile but luckily they had an opening pop up. I was stressing (crying at work) because I was thinking the tradition therapy wouldn't happen within the recommended time guidelines. Any time I receive a derailment of my plans I freak out but otherwise I am okay. It's like I'm normal on the outside but inside I'm waiting for the bomb to drop at any point. I hate this feeling and I know that in time it will go away.

SBKH - I guess it's only human nature that makes people look but I have to say only two men obviously looked, I'm sure other people were more unobtrusive about it.

• flbuckeye93
    flbuckeye93 Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2017
    Options

I have been through chemo and radiation and would be happy to give you guys any tips if you want them.

I went to my school the other day to speak to the business manager. She kept starring at my new breasts. It was awkward. Luckily I know her well enough to jokingly call her out on it, but it made me nervous to go back to school in August.

• illimae
    edited July 2017
    Options

I've already been through chemo myself but I will happily take your top tips for radiation. I have my initial simulation scheduled for 8/1.

• Toughiebird
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks to all - can i ask 3 q's:

1. what about sleep - am i going to be sleeping on my back or propped up and pillows under arms/ im a big sleeper and wll go nuts NOT sleeping but expecting the worst

2. I am having reconstruction started in same procedure as bmx - no one has told me - in the weeks following, will surgeon advise if i wear a bra/ I have no idea on the bra front ( bye to my 32 E's)

3. what to bring to hospital - my own pj's?

thanks for all the advice.

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey Toughiebird

I slept in a recliner the first 5 days, then on a wedge in my bed after that. I had trouble getting in and out of bed so the power recliner was great. I borrowed it.

You will find out when you are sent home what garmets you need.

For the hospital, I took lozenges, magazines and a fresh pair of front button PJs to wear home. I also brought flip flops so I could slide into my shoes.

Now I have a question for everyone. I'm 16 days post op. I had surgical glue and steristrips. My surgeon said the steri strips would start curling and I could remove them by last wed/Thurs. They never curled, and my drain hole was still oozing blood (very slightly). So today, I went ahead and just peeled them off. But now I'm scared because there's a little crusty blood there and I'm nervous what if it's starts bleeding? I'm really being anxious - but will the scar be okay? can i just put fabric against it? I want to put bactine and bandaids on everything! so - sortof freaking out.