Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,594
    edited July 2017
    Options

Lego, a big problem is that I seem to be an extra juicy girl. I need to be under 30 ml for 2 consecutive days, last week I was 25 and 25, then up to 60 for 3 more days, so no go. I'm trying to do next to nothing but I had 3 doctors appointments today and that's a lot of walking. Hopefully tomorrow through Sunday will be low. It sucks.

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2017
    Options

oh my goodness Legomaster, I can't believe insurance these days! Something needs to change for us! These tests need to be standard and not an after thought or a one time test! I hope you can figure out a loop hole. and illimae hang in there! I've been in PT also and love that I can finally raise my arm again, it's not straight yet but I'm working on it.

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2017
    Options

teaspoons, I will pray for a clean scan and an end to your nerve pain.

JMBG what good news for you. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I will do the Mamaprint to try and get a better decision after myOncotype of 23.

SBKH I wish these decisions were clearer. It is so hard to know what to do. I'll pray that you will make a good decision. In my own case, I am wanting to do all that I can because at 70 I may be too old to be very aggressive if there is a recurrence. I start d Arimidex last week and so far my SE'S are very minor. ONc says I definitely should take it for ten years. Perhaps as suggest an AI is possible for you.

Illimae you are a warrior. Prayers and hugs for your continued success in kicking cancer's butt.

• idonthavetimeforthis
    idonthavetimeforthis Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2017
    Options

So I haven't posted since the first page of this group. Had my BMX with TE's on 6/15 and everything was going smoothly. Had drains removed at 21 days, TE's fully expanded and just waiting for exchange. (I had neoadjuvant chemo and so it's just Hercepin/reconstruction on the radar).

Anyway, fast forward six weeks and here I am in the hospital post removal of an infected TE..just sitting here with a uniboob and a drain. (Yay we all love drains) The real kicker is it was my prophylactic side that was infected. Sorry for the woe as me rant, but just needed to vent where someone could understand my frustration.

Prayers for all you having chemo and radiation. Like I told another friend, no part of this journey is easy. Hugs

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited July 2017
    Options

Sorry to hear that they had to remove your implant. I love your user name by th way! Just when you think things are clear another lightning bolt hits.So what do they do going forward? Another expander? Right to implsntbafte the infection clears? Or. Did you decide to just leave it flat?

• IGL
    IGL Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2017
    Options

JMBG, awesome news! I am still waiting on my test result, I am hoping for a result like yours!

• ouray17
    ouray17 Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hey everyone! Headed in for my 2nd Taxol treatment. Just a few aches on Monday from the one last Friday, but the other 6 days were great!

teaspoons - hope you're scan is good. Got to be hard worried about something else.

notime - How did you know the TE got infected? My surgery was 6/13, I've already had 3 expansions & would have a fit if one got infected. What are you going to do? Options? Very sorry you're dealing with this.

Decisions, decisions, decisions - type of surgery, chemo or not, TE's or not, wig, cap, scarf or au natural - there's never a dull moment with bc.

Have a great weekend,

Karen

• IGL
    IGL Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2017
    Options

idonthavetimeforthis, I am so sorry to hear you had to have your TE removed. That bites, I am praying for you. Hopefully you can go straight to implant after the infection clears.

Illimae, I am praying that you get that drain out soon. I know it is discouraging to still be stuck with it.

• idonthavetimeforthis
    idonthavetimeforthis Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2017
    Options

Legomaster thanks for the empathy. Decision of what to do now with reconstruction is on hold but the PS says to, "have an open mind." He was talking possibly flap and not necessarily implant blah blah. Those TE's are not for the faint of heart and I would like both breasts to look a like...can they do that with an implant on one side and flap on other? Would I want that? Seriously considering going flat now because I feel so much better.

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited July 2017
    Options

illimae- one of my girlfriends was juicy too- no fun. But they will not be in there forever!

Our ray- relieved on the light side effect- will pray for them to stay little to none

Idonthavetime- oh dear- that is such a blow. I feel for you. Fwiw, I'm flat on one side, and once you get used to it, it's kind of a relief. Half the boob sweat! Whatever you do you can't really go wrong

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

teaspoons- praying for you, too!

I dearly hope we're all posting this time next year about the adventures we're having with cancer behind us

• susanga
    edited July 2017
    Options

Ouray glad you got one down. Continued prayers.

Idonthavetimeforthis I'm so sorry about your implant esp cially after you went through all the fills. To echo SBKH I am flat on one side and it really is okay. However as your PS said there are lots of options.

Saw my Onc today and he is doing the Mamaprint.im trying to figure out how such a small tumor that is grade one could come back intermediate. It is like there is something sneaky about the little sucker. I am praying for a no on the Mamaprint because I just have a bad feeling about chem for me because I am 70. My Onc doesn't put a lot of faith in either of the two tests he said they always used to just go by the pathology. Then, back to my original thought.....the Oncotype should have then been lower than 23 with such "nice" pathology. Decisions and fear

• JMBG
    JMBG Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2017
    Options

SusnGA I hate that you don't have a definitive answer but I pray the mammoprint gives you more clarity. And I agree that next year we all need to post about the fun adventures we are all having instead of all this s#%!!

• illimae
    edited July 2017
    Options

JMBG, next year I'll be posting that I still have this darn drain, lol! Kidding, this time next year I'll be medically retired and living on my mountain top :)

• legomaster225
    edited July 2017
    Options

I sure hope not Illimae!!

Today I put a shirt on OVER my head and reached to the upper kitchen cabinets without standing on my toes. Celebrate the little victories ladies!! Heart

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

yay Legomaster! That is BIG!!!

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

hey ladies - praying for all of you with chemo or chemo decisions. Praying for little - to - no side effects and wonderful support. I hope you don't have to touch a single chore unless you want to while you are being treated and recovering.

I found this article on this site: http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/ask_exp...

None of my doctors have mentioned changing my diet. Have any of you been told to?

• illimae
    edited July 2017
    Options

With regard to nutrition, I was advised to adopt an 80% plant based diet, drink 80-100 oz's of water daily, limit red meat/pork to no more than 20 oz's/week, drink in moderation and keep up with my current activity level 10-12k steps/day at diagnosis. I do most of that except the 80%, I love breads and cheeses.

• SBKH
    edited July 2017
    Options

That seems like sound advice! I like veggies - but I have gastroparesis so I have to cook them to mush. I eat a LOT of bison and I keep seeing to give up red meat. That's a sacrifice right there...

• S12Clear
    S12Clear Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Options

Legomaster225, I had to smile when you did high fives after reaching to the upper cabinets! I am following all the other June surgery warriors but am not on the list; I had LX on June 22 and am still battling an infection on the surgery breast. Time moves so slowly while waiting to heal up - the first day I reached over my head without thinking about it was also a high five day for me!

Good luck to all you other June surgery warriors!!

• illimae
    edited July 2017
    Options

Lego, congrats on the mobility successes!

SBKH, no need to give up red meat unless you're told otherwise. Limiting it to 20oz means you could still enjoy a couple or 6oz steaks and 4oz burgers each week. It seemed like a big restriction to me at first but I've tracked my food daily for years and I realized I was living within those limits already.

So, had another follow up with my BS today and my drain output is still too high (40-50 ml/24 hrs). She said they don't like having drains in more than 6 weeks, so it comes out next Monday for sure and either my body is finally ready/adjusts or they put in a special drain that I keep in through radiation (another 6 weeks), ugh, I can't even imagine that.

Hope everyone else is recovering well.

• legomaster225
    edited July 2017
    Options

Sorry Illimae. You are the "queen of the drains" that is for sure. I feel bad for you! Let's hope this is the week your body decides to stop the juices and you don't need the special drain

• mucki1991
    mucki1991 Member Posts: 77
    edited August 2017
    Options

illimae sorry about the drain. I'm hoping to get two out on Thursday.

I'm having my scans on Friday y'all keep your fingers crossed. Hope everyone is doing well. Recovery has been a bit rough. Some of the glue is coming off so I can see the a little of the scars and I totally impressed. I'm cut across the mammary fold and then up to where the nipple would be, those still look rough but I'm hopeful. thinking I'll start chemo in two weeks meeting with my Onc next week.

Lego I can wear regular shirts now but they have to be super soft because of the axillary nodes removed. The nerves are super sensitive. I can't put my arms up straight yet.

How's everyone doing?

Sending good vibes to all,

Reebs.

• susanga
    edited August 2017
    Options

sorry about the drain illimae. Great advice on nutrition.

Good luck in scans Mucki

Logo it sounds like major healing.

Have a good week ladie

• teaspoons
    teaspoons Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi everyone - Just wanted to let you know that the bone scan results came in and no cancer detected. So that was good news. They did see a patch of degeneration on my spine, most likely osteoarthritis. No immediate worries and just a reminder that I am getting old!

I started chemo yesterday and posted more details in the August 2017 chemo thread (for anyone starting chemo in August, you might want to join that thread as well, if you haven't already). Anyway, chemo itself went well but I started having stomach issues just a few hours afterwards and through the night. Have a feeling that I'm going to be dealing with a lot of GI issues during chemo. Still having pain, so thinking of pursuing some accupuncture and meeting with the pain management doctor.

illimae - Sorry to hear that you still have a drain. That's rough. I really hope you don't have to have another special drain put in :(

Hope everyone has a good day!

• legomaster225
    edited August 2017
    Options

Great news Teaspoons!!! Normal aging beats cancer any day!!! Hopefully your stomach issues will subside. Sometimes symptoms change from one week to the next so hang in there. Don't be afraid to call your MO if you need to. They have lots of things to try that may help you.

• KimE
    KimE Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2017
    Options

That's great news Teaspoons. I have the same issues with my back and that's why my first chemo was so painful. I met with the pain management department and they suggested that I take dilaudid for my back pain when I get the Neupogen injections so hopefully it helps.

I hope your stomach issues clear up soon!!!

Kim

• flbuckeye93
    flbuckeye93 Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi Teaspoons, Great News!

I think joining the chemo group when you start is a great idea. I did that and found it to be a wonderful resource. Chemo tore up my GI tract. I first dealt with constipation, which took forever to resolve and then it turned into diarrhea and I couldn't eat much for a long time. I highly recommend getting iv fluids a week or so after chemo especially if you're having diarrhea. The nurses at my cancer center recommended it and it helped flush the chemicals out of my system.

I also worked with a nutritionist during this time period. It helped in regards to knowing what was safe to eat during chemo.

Do you know what drug they are going to put you on after chemo? I also have early osteopeania and arthritis in my back. They started me on Prolia injections once chemo and radiation were done. Chemo can affect your bones as do AIs.

I hope you're able to get some pain relief. Acupuncture helped me, too.

• illimae
    edited August 2017
    Options

Happy news, I'm getting my last drain out tomorrow!!!! (5 1/2 long weeks)

But it's very sore, has come out about an inch and is pulling on the stitch. I assume it's going to hurt like hell, the first two didn't but they were smaller, this is the underarm about the diameter of a pencil.

So, how bad is it going to be? Honesty please.

• SBKH
    edited August 2017
    Options

illimae - that one should be easy to get out! I was terrified and then I didn't even feel it!