Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June 2017 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• sm627
    sm627 Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi SBKH,

Thank you so much for starting this thread I have read through many of the posts and they have made me feel so much better. I had my mastectomy(right breast) on June 27, 2017 to remove a 17cm Borderline Phyllodes Tumor. I was so sad and scared at the time. But now you and all of our other June surgery sisters have given me hope and love again.

Hugs and Love,

Sara

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi ladies,

I have been lurking for awhile, I had my surgery back in June 15, ow I have been on my chemo train for awhile, hoping I can complete my taxol. Yes I want to look forward for recovery period, I couldn’t wait to jump to the end of this journey.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited October 2017
    Options

How many more treatments Paulette? Hope your recovery is quick. It seems to take forever but you’re almost done

• PauletteK
    edited October 2017
    Options

Lego - I still have 8 weeks taxol to do, hope I can complete it. Honestly I would be happy to get 5 more done, it is getting harder for my body

• misbehavinggirls
    misbehavinggirls Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2017
    Options

Welcome out of lurkdom Paulette! :)

• legomaster225
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hang in there Paulette. Maybe the farther you get away from AC the better you will feel. Treat yourself well. Chemo is not easy but I'm thankful that we have it. The interesting thing about preadjuvent chemo is that I know that the chemo worked for me on my right side as my tumor bed and was still 3.5 cm but there were very few viable cancer cells left and my once positive node was now cance free. Left side was 100% ER and not really impacted by the chemo. I think as we get smarter they will be able to tailor the chemo treatments to everyone's individual tumor makeup. I'm praying that the chemo rids you of any remaining cancer cells. Are you doing radiation afterwards?

• PauletteK
    edited October 2017
    Options

Lego- yes I will do radiation after chemo. It is a long journey I wish it over soon. How did you do with your radiation? I noticed you done chemo beginning this year, how do you feel now

• legomaster225
    edited October 2017
    Options

It is a long haul that is for sure. Overall I feel pretty good. No neuropathy and my hair is growing back well. I finished radiation a week ago. The last couple weeks were rough. My skill was red, raw and peeled. It is much better now and no longer painful. Still shedding like a snake though. I'm using it as a good reason to keep working from home though so it has its advantages. Tamoxifen will be my next adventure starting on Tuesday. We don't get much of a break between treatments so it will take a while to recover. I hope the next 8 treatment go by quickly for you.

• PauletteK
    edited October 2017
    Options

Lego - thank you for the encouragement, I have my le PT today and it turned out a good appointment, so my day went well. Nice to know your hair is growing that gives me hope. Just praying that my next 8 weeks of chemo will be uneventful. Then next will be radiation then I meet you at tamoxifen train ride

• SBKH
    SBKH Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2017
    Options

Lego - so glad to hear things are going well. I hope Tamoxifen is a walk in the park for you.

Paulette - I'm glad PT was good. Here's hoping the rest is good, too!

I'm gearing up for the right side mastectomy Monday. Even though I know what to expect and it theoretically should be easier this time -I'm a touch nervous.

• PauletteK
    edited October 2017
    Options

Good luck SBKH, you just need to deal with the drains that’s the most painful thing. Prayers for you and send good vibes.

• legomaster225
    edited October 2017
    Options

Good luck SBKH. Even knowing what to expect it is still major surgery and I’d be nervous too. Knowing what is helpful and what works for you during recovery will be good though. I’m sure you will spend the weekend making sure everything is set for you when you come home. Good luck, I’ll be praying for you.

• SBKH
    edited October 2017
    Options

Lego and Paulette: thanks for the encouragement and prayers! Fortunately I still have my shower set up with the sprayer and still have a borrowed lazy boy so I'm pretty ready other than cleaning the house. I'm just ready to fast forward to the drain coming out... I'll let you know how it goes!

• PauletteK
    edited October 2017
    Options

SBKH - whoever picking you up make sure to bring a pillow. You need someone to serve you for few days

• SBKH
    edited October 2017
    Options

hey all- I’m home recovering. Had a minor complication and had to go back into surgery for a bleed, but doing pretty well. Range of motion much better without having the lymph nodes taken. Pathology showed some abnormalities but no cancer. I’m relieved to have this behind me and happy that I’ll match better when I’m wearing my foobs. The foob actually looks better in clothes than my natural breast. It’s also a relief to be symmetrical again.

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    edited October 2017
    Options

glad to hear you're home ... wishing you a speedy recovery

• PauletteK
    edited October 2017
    Options

SBKH - rest up hope someone is taking care of you while you rest. Just happy to hear things (boob)turn out better ....

• legomaster225
    edited October 2017
    Options

Glad you’re home and doing better! Relax and heal up this weekend

• susanga
    susanga Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2017
    Options

so sorry I have not posted here but I have been busy with chemo and it’s little gifts.

SBKH so glad your surgery is over and you are on the road to recovery. I have a few vacations planned if I can get through chemo on time and then I think I’ll join you after that. Not happy with the asymmetrical look. Please take care of yourself and know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

It was so good to catch up with all of you. Sorry I have been such a slouch but I’m finding myself running out of time these days with not enough time to keep up with everything. I’ll do better

Love and prayers for all of you.

• SBKH
    edited October 2017
    Options

hey all I got my drain out today but I feel like I’m going through gauze like crazy. Did anyone else need to change the gauzeover the drain hole about every hour or so that first day?

• legomaster225
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sorry SBKH. I had almost no leakage from my port holes. Hopefully, someone who has experienced this will comment. Hope it slows down for you. Yay for getting out the drains though. Those were such a hassle.

• JenRuns
    edited October 2017
    Options

I recall a little bit, but done with the gauze within a day or so. (Still have scars though.)

• sm627
    sm627 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to check in and see how you all are doing 7 months out from surgery?

My nerve pain has gotten so much better it comes less often now a days. My chest wall tightness has loosened up more.

Wishing you all the best and a much healthier year.

Hugs,

Sara

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,594
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Sara, my arm is a little tight, feels kinda like cording but I can’t see it, not sure if that’s from the surgery itself or radiation or what but I’m working it back out, otherwise recovering well and have most of the feeling back in my left underarm area.

Brain Mets were discovered after my last update here but I had radiation for them and they’re mostly gone, it’s not great for long term prognosis but I was already stage iv, so I just go with how I feel and I feel good, like pre-cancer good :)

Anyway, how’s everyone else?

• SBKH
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi ladies - nice to hear how you two are doing! I'm sorry about the brain mets illimae, but relieved that you are feeling well. Especially pre-cancer well. Wonderful to feel like yourself, isn't it? Sara - I'm so glad the nerve pain is better - I was actually thinking about that the other day.

My left side (first mastectomy) is doing pretty well. Sometimes I get a weird feeling like someone is flossing under my skin and I keep thinking maybe it's an undissolved stitch. And there's a little cording left. The right side (Oct surgery) is still fairly tender - it's just taking a lot longer to heal. Maybe because of the blood loss/anemia from when they knicked the artery? Or from having to go in twice (second time to stop bleeding)? I've a had a few injectifer infusions over the holidays so should feel better soon. And it looks like the areas where the drains were never adhered. That said - I've started trying to run again and I've adapted to being flat. I like running flat and no more period tenderness in my chest. I got my falsies - but I'm too tender for the bra still. I was wondering - does anyone else get armpit chaffing with running? I never had it before and now I get it every time I run. It's so weird. And wearing a wide/tall sports bra doesn't seem to help. I'm just a lot fluffier there now. Especially towards the back of the armpit.

How's everyone else doing?

• PauletteK
    edited January 2018
    Options

Happy new year! Hard to believe time goes by so fast.

I’m still doing radiation, one more to go. I was fine prior to radiation, now breast is swollen and arm also. I don’t have cording because I had PT from September to end of November so LE and numbness all improved.

Illimae enjoy life as you can. Were you the one who had proton therapy?

SBKH, I don’t run, I only do my walking, so I can’t answe your question.

Hope everyone are getting back to normal life.

• JenRuns
    edited January 2018
    Options

hey gals... I’m in the midst of radiation now... still have tightness in my left arm... really working on stretching during rads so it doesn’t get worse.

Ended up having exchange surgery in between chemo and radiation, so I have my new boobs and am getting used to them. Weird.

I technically start hormone treatment on Monday with Lupron injections. My bloodwork last week showed chemopause (I’m 45 so she’s assuming it’s temporary), but with lobular carcinoma (ER/PR+), my doc wants to do ovarian suppression and an AI. Will start the AI after rads.

Illimae, glad to hear the radiation seems to be working on the brain mets... your positive attitude is inspiring.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,594
    edited January 2018
    Options

Paulette, no proton therapy for me, I had a procedure called Gamma Knife.

Also, I can’t take much credit for inspiring, the truth is that I’ve been super lucky to have minimal SE’s, pain or other disruption to my everyday life. I guess cancer just agrees with me, lol

• legomaster225
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope everyone is doing well considering what we have gone through and continue to go through. I seem to have lost some range of motion after radiation and my shoulders are stiff. Working through that but I think some PT might be best. I have had very little side effects from Tamoxifen and I'm thankful for that. I may be switching to an AI soon as my bloodwork is showing that my chemopause appears to be permanent. I'm almost 51 and that is fine by me. I hope 2018 brings continued healing for everyone.
  • PauletteK
    edited January 2018
    Options

Wish everyone have a better year this year! I’m hoping and praying we can enjoy life after a year of suffering.

Let do more workout, eat healthy and kick Cancer out of our life!