Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in July 2017

Options

Comments

• dmjmom
    dmjmom Member Posts: 54
    Options

Tesse, So glad you are over that nasty cold and were able to enjoy Thanksgiving with your family!!

For a while it seemed like I was going to be going to rads for the rest of my life, but now I only have three left and it seems like I just started. I hope you don't have difficult side effects from the radiation.

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    Options

dmjmom, I know it will go quickly, but today it seems a long way off. However I'm 5 weeks PFC and I honestly don't know where the time went. So, that alone tells me it will fly by.

My RO was very honest with me. He said with my fair skin to expect some problems. So I'm mentally prepared, but I know this to shall pass.

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    Options

Jenruns-hair looks blonde, definitely. Mine is whitefuzz/dark hairs that never fell out combo.

Paulette, I am not doing anything to make my hair grow, but may do supplements.

Dmjmom, you have real hair! Can you go out without a head cover now? I feel like this whole experience has been going by really fast, even though it has completely sucked. "The years are short and the days are long." rings true for me. Glad your rads flew by.

My old hair grew really fast, was so thick that I had to have it thinned with razors, and I complained about it all the time. I think now I will grow it really long, never thin it, and look like I did in my college/deadhead days! Well, maybe not exactly, but with a lot of wild hair!

It's like when Tig Notaro said her breasts wanted to kill her/leave because she always made fun of how small they were.

X-posted with Teese-glad it is going by fast for you, too! You have such a good attitude regarding your fair skin/rads.

I'm still feeling more depressed than I think I should be. Working right now is still really hard. People, IRL, not here, are annoying the shit out of me. That's not who I am.

First herceptin-only infusion on Friday. I get to be one of the people who waltzes in and out in one hour, instead of watching everyone else come and go.

• Teese
    Options

leatherette, the depression is tough. I've struggled at times since diagnosis and have been a little down lately. I know it's because I'm starting something new and don't really know how it'll go. Plus I, like all of us, am sick of dealing with this. However we don't have a choice but to keep going. I have a new appreciation for those who feel down or depressed that I never could really understand before. I always was sympathetic, but just didn't have a good idea of what it meant or how it felt.

Love the idea to grow your hair long and wild. Puts a smile on my face

• LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    Options

Hi All:

As promised, here is a picture of the hair progression. I tried to label it, hope it is legible! I started going without a scarf/hat between week 5 and 6 (although, I still wore a hat in the sun so I wouldn't burn). Now I go hatless, but will carry a knit hat because my head gets cold somewhat easily!

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

LoJo - I’m so envy your hair. Mine doesn’t grow as fast as you. Sad For sure you don’t need a hat.

Teese - so glad that you recovered from your cold, yes time goes by fast, hard to believe is two weeks PFC for me. You always have a good attitude about the bad time,

Leatherette - what supplement are you going to use? I do get depressed from time to time, I would like to go back to beginning of the year which I didn’t have BC.

I’m enjoying the time prior to radiation, still have some SE from chemo, but I’m not going to complain at all. Sorry no hair picture from me yet, I’m still bald Loopy

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    Options

Lojo, wow... awesome pics and your hair looks great!! I should start photos too... using your method to crop out my face 😂

Did you get your miaderm online or at a pharmacy? No one in my area carries it, but i was shocked to see the price. Wondering if I should be a few in bulk or if one or two will last...

• Teese
    Options

My RO preferred a brand of products called Alra, stands for all radiation. The skin care line was developed by a RO at Cedars-Sinai about 30 years ago. No one else has ever mentioned using this on here but it sounds like a good line of products. I've bought the lotion, deodorant and shampoo (for my stubble).

LoJo love the pics. It grew crazy fast once t got started. Wow!

Paulette, I can't believe it's been 2 weeks PFC, time does fly after chemo, I think the people in rads have the time fly too, I swear, I hear about someone starting and the next thing I know they're on day 20/25. Gives me such hope.

Are we all done with chemo now, anyone still waiting for the last one?

Hugs and prayers

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

jen,

Amazon carries Miaderm. Amazon shippibg is real fast. If I were you get one now and if you like it buy more before it runs out. I bought all the gadgets or creams there were during treatments and wound up w lots of excess at the end.

• dmjmom
    dmjmom Member Posts: 54
    Options

Leatherette, I have a lot more hair in the back than in the front. I still wear my caps most of the time, but I won’t for much longer.image

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    Options

I too hit a wall last Friday. I think I had stayed busy enough the last few weeks to not think about things. Thanksgiving came and went and I fell apart Friday and it hasn't been great since. I agree with Tesese, thinking anticipation for rads is causing anxiety (not knowing what to expect, trying to work and schedule this everyday) and I think the realization that that the holidays are here but my sister in law is not. It really sucks.

LOVE the hair pics!! Mine is growing and have WHITE stuff all over head. Doesn't show up in pictures, otherwise I would post one! I told my husband I look like my cute little grandpa! 😁 I will be over 7 wks out from chemo at Christmas time. LoJo's pics give me hope I can go with out hats by then. Have given up on my wig. Has started to drive me crazy! Hoping it will become darker soon!

Had an appt with MO yesterday to for check up and to check blood work. I Wil be 4 wks out from chemo tomorrow and everything looked good! Blood work was good...my rbc's were only thing not in normal range and he said those should rebound soon. Will see him again in 4wks.

Had my simulation for rads last Friday...that starts on DEc 11th. Chemo Side effects are almost gone. Still feeling a little more tired than normal but have been running and working out on a regular basis again. I ran 4 miles total last Friday with NO walk breaks.

Hugs and prayers to all...love hearing how well everyone is getting thru this! We are strong!!

• PauletteK
    Options

Love all these hair picture and I hope I can show mine in few weeks (if I have hair ) Happy I still have my SE, fatigue love to have an afternoon nap from time to time, I do enjoy my time without chemo!

Runnermum - I should start my radiation similar time with you. We can compare notes.

• LoJo100
    Options

Thanks, everyone!!

JenRuns - I bought the Miaderm on Amazon. It was pricey, but for me, oh so worth it!!

I'm sending all of you hair growth vibes! At first it was growing on the back and sides pretty well, but the top felt thin, then, all the sudden, the top started growing and then one morning I got up and it was laying more flat, which made it feel more like hair.

Have a good night!

-LoJo

• travelhound
    travelhound Member Posts: 63
    Options

All the hair photos give me hope. Thanks for posting. Brows and lashes perhaps are slower.

I have my last chemo tomorrow. I'm expecting a rough week to come. I've been pretty down, and bitter for a few weeks now. This time next week I should be starting to see the light. Right now tho, I feel like crying when I remember I have to go in for one more poison session. Except for Iris, I think I am the last one to finish.

How are everyone's fingernails? Jen, your nails look great. I used the cuticle oil but I could not wrap my head around the nail envy. I couldn't see how a paint on product would prevent the separation. Well, perhaps I made a mistake. I just got some and hopefully it will help them grow out without incident. Or on the other hand, perhaps you just have a really strong constitution, cuz look at your hair! Already!

• PauletteK
    Options

Travel - will send good vibes for your last infusion. You will feel better once you finished chemo, once you feel better you will get better.

• JenRuns
    Options

sending hugs your way, travelhound.... is your last infusion Thursday or Friday? (I am guessing today by the time stamp but can’t tell!!)

• Teese
    Options

travel, yes, as Paulette said, once you feel physically better you'll feel emotionally better too. I felt the same way about the last infusion, anticlimactic because of the SE to come. Prayers for the easiest of SE this time.

Also I thought he nail envy was for chipping, cracking and breaking. Could be wrong though, so I don't know if it would've made a difference.

Ok, I have wonderful news, I saw the beginnings of fuzz on my head! I'm ecstatic! I was beginning to think I was going to be bald forever. You have no idea how relieved I am, or maybe you do. Haha, what a great day this is going to be! I'll start taking pics today, woot!

Proud, how's the remodel going? Someone else is doing a remodel too I think.

Runnermum, I was upset the first day of rads, but yesterday went without a hitch and no problems at all. I'm still apprehensive about my skin, but it's so mush easier than chemo that I'm feeling like a normal person with a normal life. Yay!

Hugs and prayers

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    Options

Tesse.....redo of bathroom is done! Well i do need to return a damaged shower curtain and liner but, said goodbye to contractor this morning. I am really pleased with then the way it looks,, likely will have him back in spring for new windows but all is good!

• travelhound
    Options

Thanks Paulette, Jen and Tesse. Last infusion is this afternoon.

I'm also doing the remodel but it is slow going. A couple of weeks ago the countertops, sink and dishwasher. Today someone is her now to repair the drywall and prep for the cabinet painting. It is going to be a long drawn out process because it didn't get scheduled out like they normally do. It fits in with my mental state. the whatever....sigh....

Nice to see you Iris. Glad the BR is done and you are happy. that is not always the case. How are you doing?

• proudtospin
    Options

hi travel hound, well i am sort in limbo as onco wants to do a pet scan, seems they have been watching my liver levels, not sure if that means good things or bad. Last scan showd good things as my liver was declared clear so guess i will wait and see. I already asked my retired nurse pal,to go,with me the day i get the results, if i do not understand the report, she will

• PauletteK
    Options

Travel - prayers for an uneventful infusion for you today. Isn’t this is the last one for you ?

Proud - hang in there , prays for your liver level. How are you doing in general?

Teese - I haven’t seen much fuzz yet , I am not going to think about it for now. I read your posts in the radiation and hoping mine will go smoothly.

• travelhound
    Options

Iris, your last liver scan was this summer sometime.? right. That is nerve wracking probably to have another. Are you undergoing chemo right now? It is a good idea to take a nurse friend with you. That is what I did when I was being diagnosed. My thoughts are with you.

• proudtospin
    Options

yeap, last pet scan was several months ago and at the time onc said i was doing well and my liver was clear, not really sure why now although doc said they have been monitoring my liver numbers, not sure if this is good or bad. Been doing taxol so guess they want to be sure it is working

• Teese
    Options

Proud, my liver values increased during Taxol.

• proudtospin
    Options

tesse, now that may be part of the puzzle, did your onco monitor the levels i gather?

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    Options

Travel...Congrats on last chemo!!

Proud...thinking of you! Saying prayers for another clear scan. Teese is right, Taxol does mess with liver levels. I was also told by MO not to take Tylenol while receiving Taxol, it too messes with liver.
  • JenRuns
    Options

My MO watched my liver too ... apparently Taxol is metabolized through the liver, and it can be rough. (I had not issues, other than that weekend I had a few drinks at a family wedding!)

Random (sort of) question for you gals: I have my exchange surgery scheduled for 12/19, earlier than I thought (they want to do it before radiation starts). PS offered to take my port out, but MO said no ... keep it in until after radiation. Any idea why? ? ? (It was a message exchange with the nurse and I didn't really question her. I won't see the MO before surgery to push on it, not that I really would.)

• travelhound
    Options

My liver enzymes went up during Taxol and my MO was not concerned. One of them did go over 100 at one point. So Iris, perhaps perfectly normal.

Jen, how is this week going.? Today is my steroid day and all seems well, except for last night. Feet were CRAZY. Congratulations you will get your surgery soon! That is great. I'm dying to hear about it. Mine is January. I'm hoping they will use my port for surgery and my MO said there will be more frequent blood monitoring at first so I think the port is a plus. And don't you have lymphedema precautions on both sides? Don't want to move to arm draws too soon?

• travelhound
    Options

are y'all familiar with the thread Hair Hair Hair? They talk about regrowth after chemo and recent pages have talked about using Latisse to more quickly grow lashes and brows.

• LoJo100
    Options

Hi JenRuns. My RO kept my port in because she didn't want me to be trying to heal a wound while starting radiation. I'm getting it out next week, now that I'm a few weeks out of radiation. Honestly, it wasn't bad. Got a little itchy around the port area, but totally do-able. I'd rather have some itch than deal with wound care during radiation.

-LoJo