Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation July 2017

Options

Comments

• Mquara
    Mquara Member Posts: 56
    Options

I was told I could wear deodorant but not with an antiperspirant. This is what I am using and it works very well. I have not noticed the absence of the antiperspirant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRGB8I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

I wonder why some doctors say none at all and others are fine with it as long as it has no aluminum etc and has no antipersperant.

Finished 14 of 35 today. Next week I'll hit the halfway mark!!

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22
    Options

mqara, thx for the recommendation. I'm going to order it. My RO hasn't specifically told me no deodorant so I've been using Secret invisible deodorant, in hopes they won't notice and say something about not wearing deodorant. My rebellious nature follows me everywhere, even through cancer treatment! Haha

• ML1209
    ML1209 Member Posts: 153
    Options

ChristinaRose - It seems to keep me dry, but I am not in such a hot environment like you are. Try Tom's or Jason's .... they both have no aluminum. I tried them when I was dx, but honestly I didn't feel like they worked well but better than nothing. I am going to be out all day tomorrow in the heat so I guess we shall see. I may use regular tomorrow though since no radiation. Never fun when you get a whiff of yourself Loopy! Bad timing with it being summer ..... not that there ever would be a goos time for any of this.

• christinarose
    Options

so true! Thx for the recommendations :)

• llamalady
    llamalady Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi ladies. I just finished my rads on Thursday :-) I used Schmidt's Tea Tree Sensitive Skin Deodorant Stick from Amazon. Has a greenish/blue label. I had no problems at all with it. Used it every day throughout treatment. I did use it a little more sparingly on the treatment side. I had no problems w/ body odor or perspiration and it is hot here in NC plus I'm outside a lot. In fact, I liked it well enough to keep on using it.

• christinarose
    Options

Thx for the info, llamalady, and HUGE congrats to you on being done!!! :

• Mnsnowflake
    Mnsnowflake Member Posts: 6
    Options

My start date got postponed. I had a follow up MRI that showed a small spot in the other breast. So that led to an MRI biopsy 8 days later and a weekend of waiting for results. Tests lead to more tests. I hope to get the news tomorrow that I can start on Tuesday. I called the oncology nurse about my start date and she said "your probably nervous aren't you". Umm yes I think I have a right to be nervous!!

• Mquara
    Options

Just finished day 15 with 20 more to go. I meet with the RO every Monday. I told her I was uncomfortable, itchy, she saw how red I am and it's a deep red in my armpit. I told her I was worried and she said I should be worried because Looking like I do right now means I WILL have skin breakdowns, blisters, ooozing etc and there is nothing we can do to stop it. I'm not even at the halfway mark!! Depending on how bad it gets we may have to take a break or stop at some point. I'm not surprised because my skin is very sensitive to the sun but I am still so upset :(

Nothing ever seems easy for me. There's people that breeze through radiation and end up looking like I do now. It's so frustrating to hear that this will get bad and there's nothing I can do to offset it. I have to keep using Miaderm during the day mixed in with the Silvadine and the aquaphor realky thick at night which I have been doing. Then we just take it day by day. I just want to be done with all of this and try and move on :(

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

Mquara - I totally understand. I have very sensitive skin too. I'm worried that I will have the same reaction.

I had treatment number 6 today. I already feel some swelling and that side is warm to the touch. Does anyone else have expanders in? The fatigue has also started for me. Saw RO today and he said no matter what I slather on it can't prevent me from burning but hopefully there will be healthy new skin underneath when I do burn and peel. This upset me quite a bit. What we have to go through "willing" is just shocking.

Dizzygirl

• christinarose
    Options

snowflake, I hope you got good test results. That's been the worst part of all of this for me. I hate waiting for answers and wondering about all the possibilities.

Mqara, I'm sorry! I have sensitive skin too and am afraid I'll end up with blisters.

Snowflake, I was kind of told the same thing. That lotions don't prevent the burn, but keeping the skin hydrated supposedly makes it heal better. Not sure what to believe, I read and hear so much contradicting stuff.

I hit the half-way mark today with treatment 10. Getting darker pink, swollen, hot to the touch. Also every day in a little more tired. My RO said I have fluid build up causing the swelling and told me I need to wear a bra 24/7 to help force it out. The rads tech told me to not wear a bra as much as possible to help with the skin burns. If I have to pick one or the other to alleviate I'm going with the skin burn.

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

Busy day today. Getting more mastectomy bras and sleeves. And mapping session after. Can't wait !!

• YazMar74
    YazMar74 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi Ladies, hope everyone is doing well. I just had my first rad yesterday - it was uneventful, I guess my nerves got worked up more than anything else. 1 of 21. My RO said the risk for heart damage is pretty much non-existant with the treatment am getting - (face down - breast hanging) - not sure the radiation type - but she reassured me.

They gave me a cream - to slather on - no deodorant (unless is some organic one) - hopefully I manage without it. Absolutely no sun - I was wearing a t that came down but not even close to a cleavage and she told me I need to cover up to my collar bone when outside at all times no exception.

As for bras, I stopped using them after the biopsy - to be honest, now Im small on top so I can get away with it. I bought some pre-teen bras in the kids section and that's what I been using - I don't think am going back to bras period.

Wishing everyone a smooth journey to the finish line.

• castigame
    Options

Mapping session was a bit taxing and interesting. I like all the tech and RO. Was taxing because I had my hands up above my head holding onto a stick. Tattos on my right side was painful. I think singing hail marys will work.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

rebamacfan123- thanks for your updates on this rad path you are on. My rads aren't til fall but am reading these posts to learn from those forging the path ahead of us.

How many tattoos did you get and are they permanent??

• castigame
    Options

Three they gave me. One each on the spot right below arms on my back.(left one was ok but the one on the right is still sensitive, 2 nodes from left 15 from right). Third one is about 6 inches below my collarbone on my right chest,

Google search showed these tatoos are permanent. Another minor surgery of sorts I guess,

In terns of breathing, I can hold quite good. But my belly moves whenever I need to breathe. I need to learn how to do "roll breathing"

Mimi

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

rebamacfan123- thanks for the tattoo info. I was one who never wanted tattoos--- guess it'sjust another new "norm" after BC DX

• hahlyn
    hahlyn Member Posts: 128
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Finally I had my first radiation today after a few setbacks. Longer than what I expected. Had to make sure I was lined up correctly etc... the radiation itself wasn't sure when it started between the numerous x-rays and pictures, the tech came in after about 45 minites or so and said we are done see you tomorrow and said it won't be this long tomorrow or going forward.

I will admit I cried before they even started just emotional..I guess just tired of this entire process been on this train since sept 2016 and im ready to get off! Also fearful for the side effects to include the fatigue everyone is talking about and #1 the burning..anywho 1 down 29 to go.

Hahlyn

• Sarajane16
    Sarajane16 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, hope you all don't mind a Brit lady on here :)

I have my c.t scan and mapping in 2 weeks, it's strange , I was so strong through discovery, diagnosis and surgery but find I am becoming emotional over the next stage of this journey. Suddenly feel so aware how much this has all changed me and that I have obviously been feeling very angry but have suppressed it in order to get through the early stages and to reassure my friends and family that I'm 'fine'. I want to feel like me again or atleast feel like a more relaxed and happy new me, but my head is still reeling. So I'm going into the radiotherapy feeling a bit battered and bruised emotionally..can anyone relate

• ML1209
    Options

Completed my 10 treatment today ..... 15 more to go! I am definitely pink, but RO said I am right where he would expect at this point. My son has had a friend here for two weeks so 4 kids going nonstop so have not done so great on taking care of my skin. Trying to do better as of yesterday. Christinarose - I have some swelling as well. I am seeing an LEOT each week and she showed me some massages to do for lymphatic system and to help drain the swelling. Also, developing some cording so gave me exercises to do for that as well. I did not get tatoos. Lots of sharpie marks and tape :).

Sarajane - it is definitely an emotional roller coaster ride. You are not alone.

Prayers and hugs all around!

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    Options

I am starting 35 sessions of radiation on Monday. At my second mapping session today they gave me my schedule for the next 7 weeks. They are starting with one regular session, then eight boost sessions followed by the remaining regular sessions. Anyone else having all the boost sessions at the beginning or does this seem unusual

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

Hello, I'm having mapping done tomorrow and should start the following week. Does anyone have a list of what meds, supplements, and vitamins that shouldn't be taken during rads. Or maybe you know a site that has a list. TIA

Hope everyone is doing well with their treatments:)

• blooming
    blooming Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hi

I finished 9 treatments. Not sure if I will have boosts at the end, so the total number of sessions hasn't been determined. Skin is doing well. A bit pink but doesn't feel problematic. Using prescription cream 3x day plus aquaphor with that. The part that is puzzling to me is that I'm feeling winded and very fatigued. I thought I've had too few treatments to experience fatigue. Feel like I must be imaging this. Anyone have any insights about that?

TWills, there is a good prep and packing list at the top of the Radiation forums list. Someone compiled an extensive update that's posted in the June or May forum. I'll look for the location and post that because it could help others. I think it addresses some of the things to avoid. RO might differ so others might have different instructions but I'd be happy to share the things I was told to avoid.

Hahlyn, it is an emotional time. For some it is the last of the very intensive "active" treatments. Some will begin hormone suppressants and that is a formidable experience but it is long term. It marks a transition to a more chronic situation; a new normal. Some have told me that after radiation, they felt more emotional because it was the first time they transitioned out of acute care and didn't have doctors and other professionals monitoring them so frequently. Each stage is different for each of us, depending in parton so many variables. I think it helps to feel emotional at this point. For many, it is a 5x week radiation for several weeks. That is a dramatic reminder. It's especially challenging for me because so many well-meaning people say "it's so easy"; it only takes a minute; it's so easy. Everyone seems to know someone who had treatments and glided or skateboarded to work every day and was terrific. In fact they say, "it was nothing!" (Compared to chemo, it is so.mild.). Perhaps they are trying to be reassuring to me or to themselves. It has been really fne so far for me; really it's not so bad and the center is so well-organized and staff so wonderful. I think I find the comments dismissive. That's the part that gets to me. Anyone else hear comments like this?

• Mquara
    Options

Blooming I too take most "supportive" comments as dismissive. My therapist at CTCA said this is common.

Nothing is easy. There's no bright side to cancer. Our bodies are trying to kill us and we have to FIGHT back. Chemo was hard. Radiation has not been kind to me thus far. Surgery was tough. Losing 80% of my hair when I fought tooth and nail to save it with cold capping stinks. I am not "lucky" to not be bald. I paid over $1800 to cold cap, endured hours of discomfort, cold and pain during chemo to save my hair. I am not thankful I have 20% left because I'm pissed I lost so much. I'm allowed to be negative. There's nothing positive and uplifting about this lol

I really just don't care to hear about people that didn't need anxiety meds, sleep meds, worked through chemo or breezed through rads with a little redness. Good for those people if they just breezed through everything but I'm sure things probably weren't as easy as other people thought they were.

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    Options

Blooming, my fatigue hit very early in my rads. Some say it lightened up but mine didn't. My RO told me she'd write me a note authorizing naps! I am not a napper by nature but I often dozed for about 10-15 minutes in the late afternoon. My best advice is to just take it as easy as you can; this is not an open-ended problem but one with an end in sight. I finished my rads two weeks ago and already feel the difference (my RO told me the fatigue can linger for 5-6 weeks). I started taking my Arimidex and am sleeping better than ever but I'm still fatigued. But I reassure myself that it will end!

I agree with you about the dismissive comments. Each of us has such a different experience. It's helpful to have others share about theirs but that doesn't mean we will follow similar paths. I also think time has a way of smoothing out all the wrinkles so women who went through this 10 years ago tend to tell me it was no big deal. I love the "this is so common" comments - does that make it less terrible?

Best of luck to you and all the July ladies as you continue through this phase of treatment.

MJ

• ML1209
    Options

TWills - the May group, page 2 has a greeat post of different things that have worked for others. Posted by CeliacC I believe. Best of luck tomorrow.

• ML1209
    Options

Blooming - I am definitely tired after 10 treatments. I am not winded though that I have noticed. I would mention that as radiation can drop your blood counts. They may want to check those. I am not so tired that I can't keep going, but a nap sure would be nice :).

I haven't really had any comments that felt dismissive from others, but I think part of it is as women we keep on going and aren't always honest with how we feel so maybe we make it appear as if we are breezing thru all of this. I know for my children, I want things to be as normal as possible - so we press on. Not a fun road to travel for sure - but we do what we have too. We all have different perspectives - for me, having watched my 4 year old go thru treatment for a brain tumor - the most helpless feeling in the world. Nothing for me has been harder than that. Cancer definitely sucks that is for sure.

Prayers and hugs all around.

Tapper - thanks for checking in on us and encouraging us :). Like Peggy says - not fun, but doable.

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

10 rads finished (last Friday), 18 more to go. I had some major swelling but it seems to have lessened over the weekend. I also started using the green tea spray (thanks ladies!) and it seems to help. I am also using Aquaphor and Aloe Vera. Slathered it on all weekend. I am having major pain in the radiated area where my TE is. I think the swelling and contracting inside the chest is pushing my TE into my ribs.

I am feeling really emotional right now. Everyone thinks I should be fine and rads are "no big deal". I am a long way from fine.

Dizzygirl

• christinarose
    Options

I'm with you all on the emotional stuff!! I am fatigued and not always winded but I noticed I was winded yesterday morning after walking upstairs.

And lucky me, I now have blisters. It hurts and itches like crazy. My 14th treatment is today and I'm going to ask for a prescription. I'm also going to ask for a note to stop working til I'm done. It's getting to be too much and I started making some stupid mistakes last week that I know are because I'm so tired. I don't want to risk doing something that'll get me fired.

Welcome to those who are just starting. I wish all of us didn't have to be here.

• Mquara
    Options

Well today was 20 of 35 and the RO told me she will probably have to give me a week off because my skin is very burned, raw and starting to blister and break down. I started crying. I don't want a break, I don't want to have to end early either. I want my 35 treatments and I want to get them done as fast as possible. I just want this shit to be done with so I can GET MY LIFE BACK!

• Maggieroe1
    Maggieroe1 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I have completed the radiation. For those of you just starting, it wasn't bad. I had my left breast radiated so there was the heart concern but I had no problems. I had to take deep breaths and hold them while the machine was on to help keep the heart out of the way. Holding my breath for 35 seconds was the most stressful part of the whole thing! My breast is still sensitive four months later but nothing too bad and it definitely looks perkier than it did before Good luck to you all who are beginning radiation.