Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation July 2017

Options

Comments

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22
    Options

mquara, I'm really sorry! :(

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    Options

Oh, our emotions! I mentioned how emotional I was to my RO nurse the second week of my rads. She attributed it to the fatigue, which hit me hard. Makes sense - if you're tired, everything seems worse.

I'm so sorry to hear about those of you who are having blistering. I completely understand where you're coming from, Mquara! I breathed a sigh of relief when I didn't have to make the daily trip down to the oncology center. Try to tell yourself that, in the grand scheme of things, a week is not a great deal of time. I hope s/he can give you something to heal those spots.

And Dizzygirl - rads ARE a big deal. ML1209 is right - too often we put on a brave front. I found no one really wanted to know how I was when they asked (the looks I got when I was honest!) so I just started saying that I was doing well. I agreed to do something yesterday that I never should have. My DH set me straight; I backed out of the obligation.

Best of luck to all of you. It really will be over before too long!

MJ

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    Options

Had my first whole breast rad session today, followed by a practice boost session. The whole breast session was fine. The boost practice was the most painful experience yet including two surgeries. I wanted to slap the girl turning the vice and I am so non- aggressive it is not funny. I went home and slept for four hours. It will take a full dose of anxiety meds for me to sleep tonight and face that machine tomorrow. Praying for a different experience! Pleasant dreams to all tonight

• ML1209
    ML1209 Member Posts: 153
    Options

Christinarose - so sorry. Take off if you can. I remember you work in a very hot environmemt and that can't be helping your skin ... plus heat is so draining. What cream, etc. Are you using?

Mquara - so sorry. I got sick during chemo and had to delay treatment a week. Ruined our anniversary weekend away - it is so hard. What are you using for your skin? Keep demanding until they give you something that helps.

ThreeC - prayers that tomorrow is better for you! So sorry today was rough.

My skin is pink - nipple seems very sore today. I am using the green tea and it is soothing. Whether it actually helps - who knows, but it feels good at the time.

Tapper - yes, I did the same with my son and again with myself. Just say I am fine because when I verbally throw up all over someone about how it really is - they don't know what to do. Also, sometimes just too much energy to even explain it all. May these trials make us better and remind us to truly care abt people. Thankful I do have those who can handle the hard stuff in my life.

Prayers and hugs all around ♡

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

mquara - Ouch! I hope they find something to help you. This is so frustrating!

Christinarose - You have a tough job and long drive. Good for you for taking the time off you need.

ThreeC - Yikes! Hoping the boosts are easier than the planning session.

My rads center was running over 45 minutes late yesterday and I got a chance to talk to 3 other ladies waiting for their session. They all seem to be handling this much better than I am. Although I know perceptions can be deceiving.

Hoping we all have a good day!

Dizzygirl

• Mquara
    Mquara Member Posts: 56
    Options

ML1209 I am using Miaderm both regular and the one with lidocaine, pure aloe and last week I got a prescription for silvadene. At night we goop me up really good with aquaphor. I'm doing everything I am supposed to do. :(

• ML1209
    Options

Today was #12. Definitely more swollen today.

Mquara - I am using a presecription called Radiaplex. So far skin is pink, but no breakdown, but no way to know what is to come. My RO is if the opinion that what will be will be ..... some just have more sensitive skin, but he said he has found this gel to reduce breakdown. It is actually for woundcare. Praying you get some relief soon!

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

Hi everyone,

I had my mapping yesterday and will start treatment on Monday. I have a question, if I apply any of the recommended lotions after my nightly shower do I have to shower them off before my treatment the next day? I've read here that no topicals should be applied 4 hours before treatment so I figured that means it needs time to absorb so that could mean anything applied the night before would be ok. And if so, are there any specific topicals that should be avoided at that time because they are so thick or greasy and might not soak in enough overnight?Like aquaphor maybe. TIA.

• JoaniePA
    JoaniePA Member Posts: 10
    Options

#17 of 30 this morning. Better than halfway there, thank God! I was fatigued after about the 5th treatment, and it has been getting worse ever since. There was one day when I was so wiped out I just slept the whole day. I'm getting both sides radiated, so they're telling me that my increased fatigue levels are normal.

I am in total agreement with those of you who responded to the posts concerning the well-meaning comments of others. It has bugged me since the beginning, since the first biopsy, actually. I have even had people tell me how if I have to have cancer, breast cancer is one of the better ones to get! I stopped answering the phone about a month ago if I'm having a particularly bad day, because I just can't stand hearing about how easy it all will be for me to recover, and how strong I am. I don't feel at all strong. This is so personal - emotionally and physically - and it can also alter our body image, our relationships with family, and our spiritual journey. My husband has been a great advocate and gate keeper for well-meaning friends. I love them all, but unless they've actually been through this they just don't have a clue. Hubby passes along the thank-yous and the progress on my behalf.

I just pull up my big girl panties and keep on keeping on.

Joanie

• Tappermom383
    Options

Wow, Joanie - talk about a double whammy! It's no wonder you're feeling extra fatigued. Good for you for screening those comments. We all need to do everything we can to buoy ourselves up.

Do I feel fortunate I was able to have a partial mastectomy rather than a full one? You bet. Do I feel fortunate I didn't have to have chemo? Ditto. Does that make my situation "better" than someone else's? Perhaps but it has still been stressful. I think I've handled the stress pretty well but I don't need the "help" some people are eager to offer. I love hearing about other women's "lumpectomies" when they mean surgical biopsies. Yes, I know all about those - I had four! They're obviously stressful, too, but hardly the same thing.

Congratulations, Joanie, on being halfway through. The end is in sight! My RO told me to expect the fatigue to last for 5-6 weeks after treatment ends (not to depress you!). I AM still fatigued but it is much better. I'm being careful about what I take on, pacing myself. I had agreed to look in on an acquaintance for two weeks while other friends are on vacation. My DH stepped right in and told me in no uncertain terms that I wasn't to do it. I listened to him and backed out of the obligation; he was right.

Best of luck to you in your final 13 treatments!

MJ

• GlossGirl
    GlossGirl Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi all!

I started yesterday and have 32 sessions left. Not like I'm counting down or anything - lol!
    Quick question for all you knowledgeable ladies ... my breast felt sore yesterday after the first treatment. Like PMS sore or like the soreness when you're first pregnant. This really caught me by surprise since nobody mentioned this side effect to me and since it happened after the first session. I'm going to speak to the nurse today about it but was wondering if anybody else had this side effect so early and what I could expect? Will it level out or just keep increasing?

• Mquara
    Mquara Member Posts: 56
    Options

Rad 22 of 35 done. When I took my shirt off my skin was stuck to it under my arm and it pulled it right off so I am RAW on top of the bad burn now. I have moved to the next phase of burning. I just did it again under my breast pulling my shirt away to put on silvadene. I expect come Monday when I see the RO she's going to put a temporary halt to things to give me time to heal :(

• Tappermom383
    Options
    Can't you see the RO tomorrow? Those open wounds need to be addressed.

MJ

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

my radiation tote is 85% ready. 

I was told to come in this Friday when the staff gave me an access card. 

Going to pick up a spray bottle tomorrow and final check.

I am scared and excited

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

Mquara - I am so sorry you are going through this. Sending you hugs!

Dizzygirl

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    Options

hello girls,

I am going for my simulation set up tomorrow

Not looking forward to all this but Im so glad I will have you girls to back me up!

mamaoz

• ML1209
    Options

MamaOz - good luck, we are here for you!

Mquara- yes, Tapper is right, you need the nurse/dr to see those tomorrow. I am so sorry!

13 out of 25 today! Skin getting pinker and more swollen. Ready for this to be over for sure. Trying to get my kiddos ready to head back to school and pack in the last of summer fun, but I am getting pretty tired. Tired, but then have a hard time sleeping.

• Bluebird1013
    Bluebird1013 Member Posts: 14
    Options

hi all,

Thought I'd check in. I will be finishing #33 on Friday. Didn't think this day would ever get here but it did go fast!

I have larger breasts and started with aquaphor and clear aloe Vera. About week 4 I got a break in skin underneath. I'm sure it was because I got too hot and sweaty and was still wearing underwrite bra. Dr. prescribed Silvadene and it cleared right up. Week 5 rash on top of breast. Hydrocortisone cream helped. End of week 5 my incision which is under left armpit tender, red, raw and not feeling well. Kept slathering Silvadene on it. Dr. told me to use desitin last Friday through last one since it would make a better barrier. All in all hasn't been too bad but I would try not to get hot and sweaty if at all possible.

I was tired week 3 but it passed. I'm only driving 45 minutes each way so not bad either.

I had 12 weekly Taxol and Herceptin. I'm now on herceptin every 3 weeks. But at least not too grounded!

We can do this! The end is in sight! Good luck to all!

• Tappermom383
    Options

My SNB incision was in a state that sounds very similar to yours, Bluebird. My RO gave me samples of Calmoseptine to put on it. The main ingredient? Zinc oxide. When I was just at my daughter's and saw the tube of Desitin, I said I bet I could have used that!

Congratulations on being nearly done. The first day you climb onto that table, you think it will be forever...and then you're finished.

MJ

• MamaOz
    Options

thank you ml1209

Simulation went ok

I go back on the 8 th for next treatment plan check so not sure when I will actually start

Best wishes to all

Mamaoz

• dcdrogers
    dcdrogers Member Posts: 42
    Options

@Twills

I applied Miaderm followed by Aquaphor once in the morning and then again after my nightly shower. I noticed that the areas I applied it to would still be very tacky in the morning. Since I was told not to put on any lotions or creams before treatment (I had mine at 9am Mon-Fri), I would take a warm damn cloth and gently lay it over the areas in the morning prior to treatment. I found that this absorbed almost all of the product. A few times I even added some Dove sensitive soap to gently cleanse the area, but I found that the warm cloth worked just as well to remove the residual product before treatment.

~Dee

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

Thank you dcdrogers, that's a good option instead of having to take another shower. I bought those as well as a few other topicals. Trying to get prepared to start Monday. Thanks again 😊

• castigame
    Options

went for a simulation. The machine, Truebeam was a monster of sorts. 

Kiesha and Tony were names of technicians. Got slightly surprised that the area to be radiated is a bit larger than I thought. 

That is alright. I will get through all 30 sessions. Only choice is going forward. 

Mimi 

• MamaOz
    Options

twills and Reba,

I will be soon following I think as I mentioned above had my first simulation yesterday and was told on the 8th they will go over all configurations and make sure all is as it should be before sceduling my actual start..

mimi how right you are .. forward is the only option!

Looking forward to chatting with everyone as we proceed

Mama

• Kaso
    Kaso Member Posts: 18
    Options

My simulation is set for August 23. The only deterrent now is going to be the Oncotype DX score that I should have by the middle of August. Pertaining to the simulation, I wonder if being claustrophobic (just thinking about the CT scan that will start the simulation makes me uncomfortable) is going to make the simulation tough for me? I also wonder how soon after simulation does the actual therapy sessions start? Lastly I ask if anybody else has done the hypo fractionated radiotherapy? This is supposed to be a stronger dose over a shorter period of time. Does this increase chance of fatigue and or burns?My RO recommended four weeks. Thoughts , comments, tips and advice are all welcomed.

• Tappermom383
    Options

Kado, I don't know if CT machines vary but mine was like a big circle so I wasn't"t inside something like an MRI. Why don't you call your oncology center and ask? They told me it would take a week for the medical physicist to do the mapping; it was actually a little less. Then they called me in for a simulation - a dry run of the treatment. My sessions started the next day.

I had traditional treatment so I can't speak to your other question.

Best of luck to you.

MJ

• MamaOz
    Options

hey mj thanks for that info, so I can prepare my headI go bavk on the 8th so perhaps my actual radiation will be shortly after

Also caso , the ct scanner is a circle and they slide you thru .. my head was out the other side as it scanned my breast area, and I am small 5'

the hardest part was staying still

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    Options

I am doing 8 sessions of acuboost followed by 27 Whole Breast sessions. The first four boosts were very, very painful. On Friday I had two different techs and the pain was negligible. I tried to figure out what the difference was but only felt like they didn't tighten the machine as much. Anyone else have very painful boostsessions? I never use the pain meds after surgery. I've never hurt this much before.

• castigame
    Options

Rad #2 done. 28 more to go. Hubby drove for me since it is day 1 technically. Prayed and followed techs commands.

Sprayed green tea extract as soon as I was done. Spread aloe when I got home. Will do again twice before Aquaphor spread for the night.

Mimi

• MamaOz
    Options

whats the green tea spray? I start my rads next wee