Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation July 2017

Options
12346»

Comments

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22
    Options

Hap- I used the lidocaine/aquaphor cream whe I got itchy. It was great!! You are almost done, yay!!!

ML- I am so sorry you had to go through that with your young son. My MIL lost her son at 8 after years of fighting brain cancer. The stories she told (before she passed away six years ago) were heart wrenching. I hope and pray your son is well today.

As far as work, I had to go back three days after my last treatment. I was not at all ready but we are short handed and I'm an essential position so if I didn't go back one of my already overworked coworkers would have been screwed. So I sucked it up and I survived but in a perfect world I would've taken ten days after because that's when I finally felt almost human again.

Dizzy- congrats on finishing!!! Hopefully the healing will go quickly for you.

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22
    Options

congrats to you also, prue!!! Glad to hear your skin held up so well

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    Options

hap b and Prue Happy for you!! Keep us posted on any hormone trestments you may do next

Reba, I asked my RO yesterday about my scratchy throat and heavy feeling in chest area @sternum she ssid its from inflamation from the rads when i asked why my throat she said we are targeting the lymph nodes at right base of neck... I requested copies of plan and what exacyly they are doing.. Hopefully will get them next week ...anyway she said another patient chopped a little piece of the inside gooey part of aloe plant put in blender with a little water and drank it it helped sooth the irritation in her throat

There are some how to's online but you need to use real aloe. Not the gel I havent tried it yet

Good for inflamation

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

mamaoz,

Thank you I will try aloe drink I have.

Hugs

Mimi

• MamaOz
    Options

hap b wow thats fantastic!!! Im 10 of 28. You must be relieved!! Congrats!!

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    Options

Woke up this morning, brushed my teeth, combed my hair and more hair than ever was in the sink. Went for my rads and Dr appt. Felt all day like there were spider webs on my skin. Looked down at my IPad and saw hair all over it. I have not had chemo nor hormonal treatments yet. Just had two surgeries and am half-way through Rads. Anyone else have hair falling out due to radiation treatment s? I didn't expect this. I swear if there is a weird SE to anything my body will find it

• Goofycat
    Goofycat Member Posts: 9
    Options

ThreeC - my hairdresser informed me that having anesthesia sometime causes hair to fall out on some people. I had kidney stone surgery in February and noticed more hair loss then compared to lumpectomy surgery.

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

I had to go back to the RO's office to have my skin examined yesterday. I have a lot of blisters and the skin underneath them is raw. They gave me sheets of this plastic stuff to cover the areas. Kind of a mess to apply but seems to be helping. This is the first morning I have woke up to see that the skin isn't worse than yesterday. Hopefully I am on the rebound as my last radiation was 8/16.

Congrats to everyone finishing this week!!!! It is such a relief to be done.

DizzyGirl

• ML1209
    ML1209 Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi ladies .... just checking in. Has been a busy few days! We live in the path of totality for the eclipse and had lots of company. It truly was amazing to experience it!! All the extra though has me wiped out! Two weeks out from radiation and skin pretty much back to normal. Very pleased with how it is looking.

Thank you all for checking on my son. He is 10 years out and my hero!. He has some long term SE, but is an amazing kid.

Took my first dose of Tamoxifen tonight and feeling pretty anxious abt it. Anybody else started?

Prayers and hugs all around!

• MamaOz
    Options

ml. So thrilled to here about your son! And glad your doing well! Im supposed to start aromatase after rads a form of arimidex. I think there are some threads on both you could check ou

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

I saw the RO today for 2 week followup and he said I am doing great. Blisters healed up over the weekend. Redness gone in most areas and starting to peel. Hooray! Next up Tamoxifen and Exchange Surgery.

• MamaOz
    Options

dizzy congrats!!

• eripaulie
    eripaulie Member Posts: 4
    Options

Ok, I'm done with this radiation today girls! My skin just has a little peeling. Very dark brown instead of red, it looks much worse than it feels.

I did not put anything on it, maybe just Aquaphor twice, the whole time. Yes my armpit smells from no deodorant it's hairy,😳, but that is fine.

Now on to Tamoxifen in two weeks. Hopefully no side effects but we will see!!!!!

• MamaOz
    Options

eripaulie, congrats ! Keep us posted on your next adventure!

• ML1209
    Options

Dizzygirl and eripaulie - keep me posted on the Tamoxifan. I have felt a tad bit nauseous and can't sleep so far. Playing around with whether to take at night or morning.

Yes mamaoz - I will check out those boards.

Prayers and hugs all around!

• Kaso
    Kaso Member Posts: 18
    Options

Why are you waiting two weeks to go on the inhibitor/tamoxifin? My MO wanted me to start my ihibitor even before radiotherapy begins. I told her I do not want to do 2 different interventions at one time. I further explained I need to know what my body is feeling from which intervention. Yes, I am soon to "interview" a different MO and may start therapy 9/13. Is fatigue an issue during or post therapy? Is there a difference in reactions with hypo vs. conventional radiotherapy?

• MamaOz
    Options

kaso my mo wanted me to wait till after rads before starting aromatase. So we would know what side effects were from what.

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    Options

I have completed 33 sessions of radiation today! Yay

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

congrats!!!!

Mimi

• hahlyn
    hahlyn Member Posts: 128
    Options

Hello

I completed my 6 weeks of radiation yesterday. Underneath my breast the skin has peeled off. One of the techs said we really fried you😔 honestly my skin was doing okay up until week 5 when underneath the skin started to burn and peel. I was given silverdine??? to use and told to clean with a mixture of peroxide and water and let dry. Not easy since my breast are big and its hot as all get out here in southern California.

Anywho hoping this heals fast getting a little hard to wear a bra and im still working.

Congrats to all the ladies who have completed this part of the journey and hang in there to the rest of you.

Hahlyn

• Goofycat
    Goofycat Member Posts: 9
    Options

Congratulations, Hahlyn!!! I hope you heal fast.

• MamaOz
    Options

Congrats to all that have finished!

I have 9 more to go

Trying to enjoy my 3 days off this weekend, wishing everyone the best!!

We woman are made of strong stuff!!

• eripaulie
    eripaulie Member Posts: 4
    Options

Kaso, My Medical oncologist and my radiation oncologist both said to start Tamoxifen two weeks after radiation, Im not sure why.

ML1209, I am debating whether to take the Tamoxifen in the morning or at night, I'm not sure yet what I am going to do.

I'm sure I will be staring at that pill all day wondering what my side effects will be, if any. I will keep you all posted though! I will probably start a new thread in the hormonal therapy thingy. Hope you all are doing well!

Since my last radiation day last Tuesday my skin has peeled some, the color is very dark. Very dark on the nipple and peeling also, but I really don't feel any pain or anything

• ML1209
    Options

eripaulie - so far so good on the tamoxifen. I ended up taking in the morning. Also taking serenol to help with sleep. My BSO suggested it. It is bee pollen from a swedish flower known to help with pms and menopause symptoms. It seems to be really helping.

Hope all are doing well!!