Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation July 2017

Options

Comments

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

Llamalady is the proponent. Her RO was impressed w result and implementing it. I will try to find the posting.

Short version of my understanding is

Steep two green tea bags w 5 oz of hot water. You can use this for two days. Pour tea in a spray and refridgerate it.

Bring the spray to rad place. As soon as you are done, soak cotton pad w it to dab over radiated area.

I forgot cotto pad today so I just sprayed all over my chest. Cooling /refreshing effect alone was great.

Ty for reminding me to get cotton pads

Mimi

• castigame
    Options

mamaoz

Rad aug 2017 section dated july 28 by llamalady

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    Options

Hi ladies:

I'm a little ways off from radiation but when I got my chemo #3 this past weekend I talked to the nurse about preparing the skin for radiation before hand. She said to start using Glaxal now. Seems a bit odd but wondering if anyone else did any prep work before hand. I don't expect to start radiation until the earliest late October as chemo won't be finished until end of September. Fingers crossed that everything will be on schedule. I don't see an RO until mid September but want to be prepared ahead of time as I too have fair skin and sensitive to burning

Am already using Medederma on my scars to soften them up. Seems to be working.

Any thoughts?

• MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239
    Options

thanks reba ! I will try that

• castigame
    Options

pink,

I was going to pretreat my chest area. It slipped thru my mind. I read at least one post she pretreated rad area even before she started. Radiation is taxing.RO will be examinng before rads start anyway,

Mimi

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

Yes, my RO gave me a list of topical options but said to make sure that they are applied at least 1 hour before treatment. Miaderm and Calendula were at the top of the list. As for soap he said fragrance free or sensitive skin optionswould be good.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    Options

HapB, not sure. I've never heard anyone else say that their RO said no lotions. Who knows, if you did well before with nothing then I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm a rule follower and would definetly do what my Dr said, my RO just gave me a sheet of info and instructions and topical info. He never said to make sure I used anything so maybe it's not too important. I'm definetly using several options just to make a sure though. Good luck to you!!

• JoaniePA
    JoaniePA Member Posts: 10
    Options

I start boosts on Tuesday. I'll get 4 then be finished. Why are they painful?? No one has said anything to me about them being painful.

Joanie

• JoaniePA
    Options

I start boosts on Tuesday. I'll get 4 then be finished. Why are they painful?? No one has said anything to me about them being painful.

Joanie

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    Options

Joanie, my five boosts didn't feel any different from my 28 regular treatments.

MJ

• tinker-bell
    tinker-bell Member Posts: 40
    Options

Hi,

I'm in my second week of radiotherapy day 8. Rather pink and sore but so far it's bearable, certainly compared to chemo. I've got 19 days altogether with boosters on the last four days. Is it true that it's more difficult if you have larger breasts?

Thanks! Hope you're all doing well.

• MamaOz
    Options

hap

Say your treatment is at 9am you would then moisturize after , like before redressing and leaving

, then shower before bed and reapply so the lotion is thoroughly absorbed by time you have your treatment in morning

• ML1209
    ML1209 Member Posts: 153
    Options

HapB - my RO prescribed Radiaplex gel. I use 3 times a day. I do have some pinkness, but no breakdown or blisters so far. I also am doing the green tea. I wipe off right after radiation and then I saturate cotton pads and place all over my breast and leave it on for abt 15 to 20 minutes every night. It is truly amazing how the pinkness fades after doing this! And it just feels really good too. I am using Bali Comfort Revolution bras amd love them. I got mine at Kohls.

6 more treatments to go!! Looking forward to being finished, but dreading starting the Tamoxifen.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Prayers and hugs all around!

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

I had Rad#20 today, 8 more to go. Skin is doing okay just a spots of red itchy bumps. I am glad I have the weekend off to recover. How is everyone else's skin doing? I also have pain in my breast and under my arm. Taking ibuprofen at night.

Have a good weekend!

DizzyGirl

• Mnsnowflake
    Mnsnowflake Member Posts: 6
    Options

After a later start due to a biopsy scare I'm 13 in with 6 left. Things were going well but they couldn't get me positioned. I was painting so my muscles were sore so that may have had something to do with it. Now I just can't seem to get into the right position and the breathing is hard. The tech told me to hold my breath but try not to hold it in. Wtf did that mean? Then she said you need to relax! Only 2 more whole breast and then boost so I hope they are easier. I do now feel the fatigue especially when I sit in my car after work. I miss 45 mins of work in the am to do rad. My coworker made a comment that I should be able to get an earlier appt as spots open up. Ugh I worked through chemo why do I have to be a hero? The funny thing is my job is mammography tech. Only 6 days left then Herceptin only. This too shall pass

• ML1209
    ML1209 Member Posts: 153
    Options

20 down, 5 more to go! My skin has a pretty good sunburn, a little itchy and tender and swollen. Dizzygirl - my armpit hurts a little too. Nothing terrible, but ready to be finished! I know we all are!!

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    Options

Just finished 8 boosts and had my second whole breast today. I used miaderm for a week before my first treatment to moisturize my skin. Then put it on immediately following each session and at bedtime. Then a cool shower in the am.. My skin looks good so far. The boosts were hard on me. They hurt, but I had just had two surgeries. The whole breast sessions are easier on me.10 down 25 to go!

• MamaOz
    Options

thank you all for good advise.. I thought I was starting in july but it was put back to tomorrow.. today I go for my test run.. and get my schedule..

Mamaoz

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22
    Options

I finished a week ago. I wanted to post updates to this thread but pain and exhaustion kept me limited to doing nothing extracurricular. I was reading all of your posts though and have been praying for you all as we go through this together.

By my last treatment I was peeled, red and even my blisters had blisters. Also swollen. I had been using aquaphor regularly, and Aloe Vera. The pain has continued after treatments but now at one week out I feel like I'm actually healing. The fatigue has lifted too, for the most part. At the beginning of week 3 my RO gave me a lidocaine/aquaphor cream which helped a lot. The day after my last treatment I saw my MO and she prescribed me a big bottle of hydrocodone which was a lifesaver. I was off work the last week of treatments. I went back to work three days after my last treatment and it was awful, even with all the meds and cream.If I could change anything I would've taken the last two weeks of rads plus a full week after off. But it's just so hard to plan time off when you don't know how you'll react.

• jessiebelle
    jessiebelle Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Everyone! I haven't been on the site for a while. I am beginning radiation tomorrow. I had my tattoos and mapping done in June but took a break to participate in a study. I live in Canada and wanted additional information about my pathology so had a second RO opinion, an additional MRI and the OncotypeDX study done. That testing is only available here by particiating in a study or paying $4000. (My score was 59 which indicates radiation would reduce my risk of recurrence. I wasn't sure before the test but I am now. I was directed to start using Cavilon barrier spray (by 3M) before treatments but no creams etc. My treatment plan is 16 treatments. I feel worried about the side effects but my surgical scar is well healed (April 22/17) so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll post back to update you all. It helps to hear your stories and hints (green tea!). Hope you all cope well this week. You can do this!

Jessie

• MamaOz
    Options

hello all,

Well haha on me they actually did my first rad after testing think they dont tell so one isnt as nervous

Well at least its one down, i was told by the techs to use pure aloe vera

Wishing you well jessiebell and everyone

• Oldenough
    Oldenough Member Posts: 3
    Options

Help! Started RADS on July 6th. Supposed to get 30 sessions with the last 10 being lumpectomy site only. 18 in the burn on my chest was so bad it went thru to my back. They decided to give it a rest and did the boost for 5 days. Still to burned to continue so they are giving me a week off. Now it is starting to blister. Can't wear anything but really baggy tanks or really baggy tops. I have used aloe right off my plants, an over the counter burn med called 'Aloecane",green tea, coconut oit with tea tree and lavendar. They gave me a prescription burn cream, and now a strong steroid cream called"mometasone". I sit in front of a fan to help with the itching/burning .Nothing is working. I work full time and this is really getting out of hand. Any ideas suggestions? I am supposed to have 7 more sessions starting next week. iiiisshhh!

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22
    Options

oldenough, that sounds awful! I agree with hapb.

My rad nurse mixed lidocaine with aquaphor for me and that has been really helpful for pain and itching relief. I also got hydrocodone from my MO which helped with the pain from swelling and with that I was finally able to get some sleep.

Im really sorry. I feel so bad for you. :(

• Oldenough
    Options

christinaro-You started the day before me. How many are you doing? I'll call about the lidocaine mixture that sounds helpful. My Onco DX was also 12. Did you have any positive nodes? I had one which is the only reason I agreed to this in the first place. Are they doing RADs to your lymph nodes in your upper chest? Sound like you're feeling the "burn" also.

• Oldenough
    Options

This actually is a highly rated hospital. I just have very fair complexion and that area has been sun burned a lot in my life so the DNA is damaged anyway. I'll get through it , but it is certainly a pain to deal with. Thx HapB

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    Options

Twelve down-23 Whole Breast to go. Forgot to mention that after the 8 Accuboosts the Accuboost company gave us gift bags. A lap blanket, a soft pink robe, a thermal mug and some lotion. It was a nice treat! The whole breast sessions are going easier. I am using Miaderm the minute my treatment is over and then either more Miaderm or aloe gel that I keep in the fridge. The cool gel is so refreshing. I have just a small amount of what looks like skin peeling after a sunburn No redness at all. The RO told me to lather the lotions way up under my armpit area. I didn't realize how far back the rads were going. There is a small group of women that are there everyday at the same time. The ice has broken and we are conversing a bit. It seems easier somehow, to chat here, than in person.

• MamaOz
    Options

oldenough oh my , perhaps a second opinion is a good idea. I am shocked they havent precribed something to help you!

Can I ask did they use a bolus on you?

I am on day 4 today and will see my dr today too

I am going to ask her to alternate the bolus days. As I have read it causes bad burns like yours

• JoaniePA
    Options

It's been 4 months since a routine mammogram showed tumors in both breasts. Finally, today is my last day of rads. Hubby is coming over to watch me ring the bell!

I have discoid lupus and very large breasts and was super careful about the creams and aquaphor. I used corn starch to keep the area under my arms from being sticky. I stuffed cotton undies under and between. I walked around all day with my hands on my hips. Lots of fatigue but very few skin issues until #30 when my skin started breaking down in the folds under both breasts. I started using xeroform occlusive gauze under each and they seem to be clearing up.

The boosts are fast and painless! SO GLAD IT'S OVER!! On to next phase - Aromasin.

Joanie

• MamaOz
    Options

joanie, a happy day ongrats! Keep us posted on how you fair with aromatase , that will be my next step

Im only on day 4/28 rads

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    Options

I will have rads# 25 out of 28 today. So 3 more next week and I am done. I can't wait. I am red, feverish, bumpy and itchy. I should see the RO on Monday and I think I will ask to skip the bolus on my last appointment. They have been using it every other treatment faithfully and I don't think my skin can tolerate two more times, so I'm hoping for just one more time. A girl can ask right. How is everyone else's skin holding up?

I have been using Calendula Oil right after the treatment and Aquaphor morning and night. My RO swears by these.

For the past few days I have been having trouble sleeping. I am uncomfortable and hot all the time. I am so glad it is Friday and I get a break.

Wishing everyone well!

DizzyGirl