Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting October 2017

Options

Comments

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    edited October 2018
    Options

It's October and here we are ONE YEAR later! I think it would be lovely for all to check in and share how they are doing. I just walked in the ACS Strides for BC walk this past Saturday....last year I walked in it 3 days after 1st chemo, so this year I had a greater bounce in my step!

I finished 6TC on January 30, then oopherectomy mid-February and started Anastrazole. Went away for 6 weeks of proton radiation therapy and enjoyed my summer by the pool (with hat and rash guard). I continue to manage SEs of Anastrazole and have found acupuncture to have amazing results with reducing the joint pains. Working through the emotional aspects daily, and trying hard to slow down and not fall back into my old routines of Go Go Go. Wishing everyone the best, and hoping everyone is thriving! 😃

• Tewks
    Tewks Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2018
    Options

Good afternoon Ladies! I joined this group much later than everyone else(last January) but still appreciate and count on everyone's support...you're all amazing! I had an appt. several weeks ago for one of my 3 mo checkups-with the dreaded mammo, first since I was DX two years ago-and cannot begin to tell you the out-of-control anxiety I went through. Luckyluckylucky for me, my MO had to cancel the appt and we haven't yet rescheduled. I know I'm sticking my head in the sand but I just can't bring myself to do it. I just plain don't want to know!  Any advice?? Other than just sucking it up and doing it? I know it's stupid, and probably not true, but other than taking Xanax I can't seem to shake that evil fear. Sigh...

On the good side, the hair is finally back...yay! It's probably 1 1/2-2" now and for those of you wondering what to do about the curls, you might ask your hairdressers about a keratin treatment. I did it and the curls are a lot tamer. Coppola is the brand I've used, done it now for 4-5 years and it's amazing at smoothing everything out. I have it done at the same time as color. Which reminds me: It's been 11 1/2 months since my one and only Taxol treatment and my eyebrows are now falling out for the 2nd time. Anyone else experience this? I noticed redness on one about a month ago, then the loss followed. There's less than half of each one. Lovely. Seems to me I should be rid of all the drugs by now, but apparently not.

MamaFelice, I'm curious to hear more about your proton rad experience. I also did that and while it wasn't exactly a picnic I do feel really good about the effectiveness and especially the safety of this method. I do hope more of you have access to proton rads as its supposedly so much safer for BC patients' hearts and lungs. I'm extremely fortunate to live within 30 minutes of a center here in NJ, and I'm really impressed that you relocated...that's a lot!

I hope everyone continues to make such positive progress. Thank you for being there, all of you, and please let's keep in touch?

Happy Halloween!!!

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Tewks! Great to hear from you! I'm sorry you continue to deal with fear in such a strong way. This has been such an emotional (& physical) experience for sure! Another pink sister just wrote on another board celebrating her 7 years of health how the BC was like an elephant in the room for at least a year-- stomping, destroying, and messing up her small space, but eventually the elephant became a mouse that hides in the wall and only comes out at times when there are some crumbs for it to nibble on. I loved her analogy! I no longer have an elephant, maybe a jaguar now, in my room, but look forward to the day that the BC will be more quiet in my head like a mouse. Try affirmations. It's been my new tool for when yucky thoughts start to enter my head. I simply repeat things like "I am healed. I am blessed. Christ is in me." Everyone would have their own different affirming words. May be worth a try at least to help get you through your scans/mammogram. 💕

As for the eyebrows, I lost mine about 4-5 weeks PFC, and then again several months later,but not all hairs, just most. I've heard some ladies share that it is not the meds still recycling in our bodies, but the natural hair loss- growth cycle of the eyebrows and lashes. Eventually each hair will be on its own cycle and fall out independently of the others, but for now, they are all on a similar cycle. Who know....this made sense to me, so it's what I'm figuring to be the case.

That's amazing Tewks that you have a proton therapy center so close to you!I feel blessed to have received proton therapy! My BC was caused by rads I received to the chest 25 years ago for treatment for lymphoma. And I wanted to try all I could to limit my heart and lungs exposure to more rads, so I went to MDA in Houston. They worked diligently to appeal and get it approved by my insurance to benefit me as a reradiated patient. I didn't think I would be able to handle 6 weeks away from my family in NC, but it went by fast and I truly enjoyed the quiet time away to refocus and recharge. I pray it was the best option for my future health, and I hope for more centers to open and the treatment to become more readily available to all BC patients.

Well I'm off to get my day started-- it's actually my birthday 😃🎉-- and celebrate another year! Looking forward to hearing from others in our group and keeping in touch!

• Tewks
    edited October 2018
    Options

MamaFelice: I'm simply at a loss for words to adequately say thank you for the warmest and wisest words in your post above. I got through the mammo and my remaining boob is CLEAR!!! I didn't answer you immediately because I was just so frozen with fear that I couldn't acknowledge, even in an email, what was going on in my head. However, and I hope everyone reading this heeds your words, I went through the roughest 48 hours ever and I swear the only thing that was supporting me and actually helping me was what you advised me to do. I just kept repeating to myself that "I am healed, I am healed, I can do this, I can do this" and even if it's only mumbo jumbo or real-live magic, I don't care, it doesn't matter...I did what you said I should do, and it worked. And if I have to, I'll do it again and again and again.

To recap, I had an appt. yesterday with my plastic surgeon, mostly just for the 18 mo followup but also to discuss what to do with the remaining boob so that it can begin someday to sort of match the reconstruction from the mastectomy in june 2017...lordy, so long ago. Naturally, he said before he would even consider a new implant(I've had them for 20+ years) I would need the mammo I'd been avoiding. So I told him if he could arrange to have it done right then and there I'd go ahead but if I needed to make a future appt I couldn't handle the anxiety of waiting and I'd rather go the rest of my life with an unmatched pair. So, bless this man...he did it. Arranged for it within 30 minutes and in the time it took me to walk over to the radiologist, they were ready for me. The other condition was that they'd tell me immediately, which they actually did. By the time I got out of their gown and into my own shirt, the radiologist had read my scans and given me the results personally. And BTW, this was the new 3D imaging, all covered by Medicare. (If anyone needs a cancer center, this is all at Fox Chase, part of Temple U outside of Philly. I can't fathom a better cancer treatment center anywhere in the world...no matter what the reason for an appointment, I always feel like I'm the only patient there. Nothing else and no one else ever get in the way of what's going on with me, and I love it.) Wuss that I am, I started crying immediately and didn't stop until I fell asleep in the car...all the way home. Im sure everyone in the waiting room must have thought I'd been handed a death sentence cuz I was such a mess. my poor husband must have been mortified. 

So, again, thank you so much for sharing your own experience and your advice. I really can't explain it, but I did feel like you were with me the whole time...a cyber/sister bond of some kind? only someone who's gone/going through this can actually know the crazies that we go through in our heads. I'm sure i'm not the only one. 

And as far as the eyebrows, "everybody's different" is what his nurse said...grrr. Apparently some of us overreact not only emotionally but also physically, and those horrible chemo drugs are probably still working their voodoo on my body. Hey, if killing the cancer costs me my eyebrows, well so be it. I can deal with that, right?

Right now I'm acting like "its all about me" but I do know its not just me, and want to let the rest of you know that I'm thinking about each of you, hoping and praying that you continue to heal successfully. Please lets all continue to keep in touch? 

And before I forget, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you had an amazing day!

• Jennifer522
    Jennifer522 Member Posts: 194
    edited November 2018
    Options

I had a bit of a scare recently. Felt a marble like lump on the underside of my expander. I really felt like it was the expander, but anything makes your worry until you get it checked out. The PS confirmed it was the suture tabs I was feeling.

My exchange surgery is in 2 weeks. A little nervous. I really don't know what to expect recovery wise. People says its easier. But thinking about surgery and all the holiday obligations coming up. I am feeling a little stressed. But need to get this surgery in 2018 while I am at my out of pocket max for insurance.

• Tewks
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Good morning Jennifer, and I hope you’re feeling better and less anxious today. I know that feeling all too well and do understand how worrisome those scares can become. Ive had implants for 20++ years, had them replaced once and I can truthfully say that both surgeries were fairly painless and trouble free. Both were done as outpatients with about a two week recovery period. There was minor swelling each time and the biggest inconvenience during recovery was not being to lift anything heavier than a full milk jug. I recall minor discomfort the first 24-36 hours but it was very very manageable. I watched tv in bed. Over the first weekend and went back to work on the following Monday.
    Let us know the surgery date? I’ll be sure to check up on you then but please know we’re all supporting you! And we sure do understand!!
    I was scheduled for a new implant next week but had to postpone the surgery because my husband developed kidney stones last week and was hospitalized for 5 days. What a ghastly ordeal that was for him...and talk about role reversal 😊. Anyhow, we thought it better to wait till 2019, not knowing what his future would be. Turns out he’s okay, but who knew...
    Jen please take care and keep in touch?? And everyone else out there...how is everyone?
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!! I kind of think we all have something to be grateful for this year again.
  • Joyseeker43
    Joyseeker43 Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2018
    Options

I’ve been reading along and thinking of you all. First day back to work. There is life after breast cancer!! ❤️image

• tri-lady7
    tri-lady7 Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Everyone! Joy seeker you look fantastic! I’ve been thinking of you all today and am very thankful that we have each other through this journey. I can’t believe a year ago I was home with my wig on, finishing up A/C, and so afraid to venture out in the germs. I feel so blessed to be here with my wonderful husband, family, and friends this Thanksgiving 🦃 I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with love and health

• Tewks
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Wow! JoySeeker you look amazing! And, yes, to both of you, we sure have come a long way in the last year. And there is a sort of “normal” life ahead.
    I’m very thankful still to have this group to follow and be part of, so hows everyone else doing?
    Linda
  • dkk
    dkk Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hello my Octobes Sisters!! I finally had some down time, just thinking about my journey a year later and how much I have to be thankful for.

It just amazes me that all of you, my October Sisters, I've never met you, I know a little about you, and for some I not sure what you even look like. But you were the girls that got me through it all. You were there everytime I needed you, through my fears, concerns, when I needed lifted up and out of depression, you were there for me. You are and will always be some of the most important people in my life, and I've never even met you!

No one understands like you did. I am so thankful for my October Sisters. I came back to this site and it was such a joy to read and see pics of how life goes on without cancer. I love seeing pictures of how beautiful you all look as our hair is growing back and we are all feeling healthier

. It is like we are opening up and blooming like a beautiful flower. Thank you my sisters, I can't say it enough.

Our holidays will be so different from last year!! Many blessings for 2019

• tri-lady7
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi Ladies- thinking of you all today! Enjoying our 1st snow day:

• Tewks
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tri-lady you must be a lot further south than I am, we got just a dusting here and you have real snow!!
    I’ve just read through some older posts And it’s so heartwarming to hear how well everyone is doing now. On Tuesday I have what I hope will be my last surgery...forever! When I started on this journey I’d had implants for a long time, and the mastectomy left me with only one side reconstructed and the original implant in the other. So Tuesday we’ll be replacing the older larger implant for a smaller one so that they match. It’s all outpatient, only 1 1/2 hrs and yours truly is a total basket case once again. I keep telling myself that the worst really is over but I’m afraid the PTSD of BC is sticking around still.
    There’s so much strength in this group, been thinking of you all the last few days. And I hope you’re all continuing to do well!!
  • Tewks
    edited June 2019
    Options

imageIt's a gorgeous day in NJ with sun and no rain! Let's hope that summer truly is here. It appears that my January post was the last? I miss hearing how everyone is doing and hope it's all good.

My little outpatient surgery in January didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but sort of ok now. I developed a massive infection that eventually cleared up but set me back about 3 weeks. And then in mid February the radiated reconstructed side developed lymphedema and is grossly misshapen, ... so guess who now has two noticeably different sized boobs. The new implant isn't as small as I'd been told it would be and the other side looks like a squished tomato.

Both my breast surgeon and plastic surgeon saw me this past week and my only options are to have the right one replaced again or leave both as is. Oh yea, I could also get a prosthetic insert and wear a bra all the time.

Anyone else have this kind of reaction from radiation? This is a perfect textbook example of why surgeons recommend no implant before radiation...and this isn't even an implant, it's me.

I just keep telling myself that I have no cancer, I'm clear for two official years as of June 13 and this is a First World problem...oh, I have a bee sting on my arm with missing lymph nodes so I'm back on antibiotics to prevent infection.

I return to Fox Chase every six months now and continue with Femara and try to return to the New Normal.

Birthday #71 is June 28 which I'm very thankful for. 2 1/2 years ago I wasn't sure I'd get this far.

• Joyseeker43
    edited June 2019
    Options

Tewks sorry to hear about your infection! I had a nasty nasty post radiation burn but all I’ve been left with is a big tanned square on my chest. Grateful. I hope you get your reconstruction sorted. I hear ya on the bee sting. I fell and cracked my knee open at the barn while watching my daughter ride. Got the “Breast cancer patient” full meal deal of tetanus shot and antibiotics 🤦🏻♀️ On the bright side, look what I got to bring home ❤️. My daughter named him Cheers. Fitting I think.image

• Tewks
    edited June 2019
    Options

WOW!!! You got a horse!! And a good friend of mine got a month-long cruise and I got a squished tomato boob. 😡😡😡

I think I need to speak to Management about this, no??

He’s a beauty for sure, and one very lucky horse to be in your world. I did have a bad burn also, it still shows after a year but no one’ll see it, just me, so I don’t really care about it that much. And I never would have imagined this kind of treatment after stings and falls...is this forever?

So good to hear from you, and please keep in touch? Arent you the other one who went to Fox Chase? I still think they’re wonderful and I’m lucky to have them.

Stay well, and hug that beautiful boy,

• Joyseeker43
    edited July 2019
    Options

Tewks. Squished tomato boob is a rotten gift. Lol. I would definitely be talking to management!!

• tri-lady7
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi Everyone- so glad to hear from you both! Tewks- sorry to hear about your infection and lymphedema. This stuff never ends😡 Joyseeker- what a beautiful horse! Enjoy! Also, I am the other one who goes to Foxchase. They have been great. I still go once a month for zoladex injections and every six months to see my breast surgeon and oncologist. Unfortunately, I am having heart issues as a result of the chemo but the medication works great. Good news is my hair is coming in and it’s at a point where I can work with it! Have a great summer🏖

• Tewks
    edited July 2019
    Options
    TriLady I love your hair, and you sure do have a lot of it! I’m. So sorry to hear about the heart issue, that’s a bummer, but care at Fox Chase is the best and I’m sure they’ll keep on top of it. (Ifound out today that a friend’s husband was a patient at FC also(fine now), and she too couldn't stop raving about them.)
    Maybe this summer is the turning point for all of us? Getting back to our normal routines? I know there are reminders and appts that we’ll always have to deal with, but look how far we’ve all come in just a few years.
    So nice to hear from you Tri-Lady, you have such a great smile and look so happy!
  • petey111
    petey111 Member Posts: 157
    edited August 2019
    Options

Tewks - I'm so sorry about you squishy tomato boob and all the complications.

Sara - What a beautiful horse! Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Trilady - That sucks that you are having heart issues. I know they did a baseline for me before AC, but there hasn't been anything else done with that. I suppose if I had any sort of symptoms, than that would be time for another test.

On a different note - Trilady - YOUR HAIR!! I'm soooo jealous with how long it is! You are not that far ahead of me for treatment. What are you doing that is helping so much?

That's actually why I popped back on. I'm in an awkward stage with the hair growth and it's driving me nuts. I was curious what people are doing to help things along and how they are styling things? I would kill to be able to pull my hair up in a ponytail again.

• petey111
    petey111 Member Posts: 157
    edited August 2019
    Options

Here's a picture from last week. When my hair was shorter, it would be more "fluffy" and have more volume. Now that it's a bit longer, it's weighing it down. The back curls weird when left to its own devices, but I can't flat iron everything. I can also let it dry a little more naturally and it will dry pretty curly and I pull it back with a headband. I don't have a picture of that, but it's ok. It's kind of casual though. Any other ideas?

• Tewks
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Petey, are you on the left closest to the front? Your hair got so long and it looks great!
    Mine’s growing out kind of weird, all in layers I guess because it’s growing from bald, which is in layers too. Ugh, the stuff they don’t tell us 🤣!
    I’m lucky to have a hairdresser who has lots of experience with chemo survivors so she has given me some guidance as far as cuts go. Her advice was to find a photo of the style I want to get to and then she’ll trim and shape my hair over the next few years to grow into that style. I’ve had two Keratin treatments over the past 28 months and will do another next week. I had curly hair to start with and the Keratin helps keep it all under control, even with NJ humidity.
    It’s a struggle for sure but you’re looking good!!
    How’s everyone else doing?? Well I hope.
  • Trees100
    Trees100 Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hello ladies, here I am, compelled to check in and I'm glad I did. Seeing how far we've all come makes me smile.

The hair on my head was slow coming but no one would know I didn't have any at all not so long ago! The eyebrows and eyelashes were the Best and came in pretty fast, I feel lucky!

I did not opt for reconstructive surgery after my double mastectomy. I'm still very comfortable with that decision but it may have been easier for me, I was just a 32A before so it is not very hard to fake it with a little pad! Haha

I'm still considering a tattoo for the whole chest area, kind of like the sleeve you see on people's arms? That way the scars won't be so obvious. I did have to have a second surgery on my right side and that was a year ago next month, I'm all healed now and ready to explore this option. Funny thing is no one in the family has a tattoo, so mom might be first!

Got a text from a friend last night who told me her boyfriend's mom just got diagnosed with bc, she lives in a very small town with few resources. My friend asked if I would reach out to her and of course I was glad to do it. I sent her an email this morning and I mentioned this site both for the library of information and Also because of the support being in a group like this brings. It really was a bright spot for me some days when nothing seemed very cheery. Thank you all!

xxoo

Vicki

• Jennifer522
    Jennifer522 Member Posts: 194
    edited October 2019
    Options

Just wanted to pop in and say hi to you all! Can you believe it's been 2 years since we started chemo? That fear of not knowing what to expect but having all you ladies to compare with helped so much. I recommend this site to others getting ready to start.

Back to regular life but with more doctors appointments than the normal person. I am getting nipple recon surgery in a few weeks. I was on the fence about it but after seeing some results decided to go for it.

My daughter now is 7 and in the 2nd grade. My hair is getting better where I am more comfortable with it although I still feel like I am in that growing out bangs stage. Still darker and curly than I had before cancer. But not coloring it for now at least

I hope you are all doing well. Still waiting for fall to find us here in South Carolina.

And I just realized I had my kitty Sunshine as my profile pic. We had to put her to sleep 6 weeks ago at 16 1/2 years old. I tried so hard to keep her going with weekly fluid treatments for kidney disease even while I was going through my own battle. My daughter had been wanting a kitten of her own, so now we have one. He is a bull in a china shop. Full of energy and getting into trouble but also very sweet

• simbobby
    simbobby Member Posts: 94
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi All,

I just wanted to come back and visit this crew that I started with.

It has been 2 years since I was diagnosed and today I went to my 153rd appointment. Since diagnosis I’ve had chemo, radiation, double mastectomy with tissue expanders, infected tissue expanders removed, tram flap reconstruction, a perforated colon from a colonoscopy. Next I go in for fat grafting, Im on letrozole for maintenance, and get infusions every six months for my osteoporosis. But all in all I feel good - and I’m here. I hope y’all are doing as well.

• Tewks
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!
    Ever since this pandemic started I’ve been thinking a lot about this group, wondering how everyone is coping. Good days here in NJ, then not so good days. We’re considered a hotspot right now and under strict quarantine conditions.
    And I wish I had better news to share, but I’ll be returning to my oncologist ASAP as I’ve discovered a lump in my remaining breast. I’m hoping it’s scar tissue from the implant surgery but preparing myself for the reality of more cancer.
    And if that’s not enough, my oldest daughter is here with us recovering from a single mastectomy last Tuesday. She had surgery at Columbia Presbyterian in the morning and we picked her up from NYC the same evening, returned to NJ and she’s been quarantined in her room here since then. She’s already had chemo, totally out of work as a classical musician due to the pandemic and her immediate future is uncertain as she has triple negative. She’s only 47.
    We’re trying to remain upbeat and positive but I must say it’s a big challenge. I’m hoping you all can send some good vibes this way...prayers might be in order too. And I certainly hope and pray you’re all doing well. At least the weather’s getting warmer and a few flowers are coming up 😊
  • dkk
    dkk Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hello Tweks,

I am so sorry to hear about what you and your daughter are going through. A reoccurrence is always our biggest fear. My prayers are with you and your daughter. You will be the strength that guides her. You have fought the battle and won. Hopefully your lump is not cancerous, pray for a healing. Keep us posted

• tri-lady7
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi Tewks and DKK- I am so sorry to hear of your daughter Tewks and praying for her and her recovery. Let us know how everything went with you and hoping nothing serious. Unfortunately, this beast is never ending. I hope everyone is doing ok during this crisis! I am teaching from home and I must say it is challenging. Praying for everyone and most especially our country.

• MrsWinnie
    MrsWinnie Member Posts: 119
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hello Ladies, thinking of you all during Covid and hope all is well. Thinking of ya Tweks and your daughter!

Im tired of Hot flash's! ahh! im tired of people laughing at me during said hot-flash's and I really dont want to take anything for them... lol~ torcher?started Tamoxifen January 2018 and full hysterectomy Nov 2019 I think the lack of hormones is getting to me, I ache all the time, and pain here and there.. sigh this never ends. BUT saying that We are safe, and covid here is mild, no new cases in our area. and we just watching the world turn from home. I hope you are all well and thinking of you!

• Tewks
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I’m sorry to not address everyone’s issues; still coming to terms with my own. I’m now stage 4, dealing with bone Mets, starting iBrance on Sunday. Yes, the dreaded stage 4.

it started in Early July with what we thought was Arthritis in my right leg but a PET scan revealed otherwise. I had what I call a botched surgery 9/3 to strengthen my leg; a 2 day hospital stay turned into two weeks. I still cannot walk without a walker. It’s a nightmare...

The New lump in my right breast turned out to be a defective implant but we’re leaving it for now. I pray you’re all Covid free as we are. We’re all still on unemployment, thank goodness for Medicare.
  • tri-lady7
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi Mrs Winnie - I completely understand about the hot flashes! I am on anastrozole and it’s rough! Biggest thing for me is the joint pain. I had a terrible pain in my hip for almost a year and had an MRI but it was nothing. Then all the sudden it just went away. The hormone blockers are a challenge!

Hi Tewks- i’m so sorry that you are going through this! The good thing is all the treatments available now for bone mets. I am thinking of you and glad that this terrible covid didn’t get to you!