Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting October 2017

Options

Comments

• jamorcar
    jamorcar Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2017
    Options

Jennifer522, I just a few weeks behind you. I'm also 45 and TN. My chemo treatments will also last until March! How old is your daughter? My kids are 17, 14 and 9. I let the youngest sleep in the bed with me last weekend, too. The extra warmth and snuggles were a comfort.

I had my port surgery yesterday, and it hurt a lot more than I was expecting. My first chemo treatment is Monday! I'm just beginning. Whew.

• simbobby
    simbobby Member Posts: 94
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi Jennifer,

I started chemo the same day as you. Will be on AC every other week for 4 sessions, then 12 weekly sessions of Taxol. Also trying to be gentle with my hair, but not sure why. Losing more in the brush daily but not yet coming out in clumps. Meeting with my MO today, then back for round two on Monday if blood work is Ok. I need to be productive this weekend as I know I will have a minimum of 4 "down" days come early next week. I too am overwhelmed at the long road ahead of me. Just going to take it one segment at a time and focusing on chemo only for the present.

I will worry about surgery and radiation "tomorrow"

Love, Scarlet O'Hara

• fishingal68
    fishingal68 Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2017
    Options

The past couple of days have been a challenge. I had an appointment with the nurse practitioner at my MO's office yesterday. When the nurse poked me for my port check, she said, "That's never happened before." She told me the port moved when she stuck the needle in, and so she had to stick me again. The second stick was good, but then she said, "That's really weird. I can hear the flush. It shouldn't sound like that." Needless to say, no blood was drawn from my port. (Dang it!) So...they ordered a portogram to be done ASAP at the hospital. I went over to have it done, and found out they couldn't do it because I am allergic to the iodine contrast they use. At that point, I ended up getting a chest x-ray to check the port placement, and it appears to be normal.

My labs showed the reason I have been so sick is because I have a virus! No wonder I've felt so bad. Today I am feeling almost back to normal. Thankfully, we have the day off today, so I am going to make good friends with my couch, pillow, and blanket.

• TabzIsMyAngel
    TabzIsMyAngel Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2017
    Options

I actually slept really well last night, for the first time in months! Before bed I listened to Deepak Chopra's 45-minute Soul of Healing meditation, then when I went to bed I listened to 432hz Deep Sleep Calming (1-hour) Meditation (I fell asleep before it finished - YAY!). I also bumped up my usual 5mg dose of melatonin to 10mg, since on the 5mg it was still taking me 1-2 hours to fall asleep. I don't know if it was any one of those particular changes or the combination, but I only woke up in the night a couple times & each time I chose NOT to look at the clock to see what time it was & dozed back off fairly quickly. I only got up at about 8am to go to the bathroom & since I was still tired I went back to bed & slept off & on till nearly 10:30. Once I got up, and for a while afterward, I was still feeling a bit tired, so I think I'll back my melatonin dose back down to 5mg in combination with the meditations & hope that will result in the perfect balance of good sleep without morning grogginess.

LisaRx - The oncology massage was very different from massages I had previously experienced. I'm used to the full-body spa type massage. In 2016 when I was receiving monthly chiropractic adjustments, I'd often schedule a full one-hour massage immediately before to relax & loosen my muscles to facilitate a good chiro adjustment. And when on vacation in Puerto Vallarta I'd enjoy a full massage to complete the full transition from "real world" to vacation paradise. Smile

For oncology massage you stay fully clothed. Yesterday she chose to focus on calming my emotional state since she felt what I was most in need of since, not having yet started chemo, I don't yet have the physical SEs requiring relief. It was basically a very gentle reflexology session focusing on my feet, ankles & lower calves. http://www.s4om.org/faq/item/what-are-the-benefits-of-massage-for-someone-with-cancer

I did feel a bit calmer & more relaxed afterward, but that also may have just been the result of actually having someone to talk to and to pamper me. I think that's my biggest challenge right now, since when I'm home I'm all alone. I'm finding that I feel a bit more balanced when I'm in the presence of people who are caring for me (the massage therapist, my Reiki therapist, the social worker, the chemo nurses, my Dad). Although yesterday when I returned for my chemo appt & was in the waiting room with my Dad, the social worker came out to say "Hi" and when I introduced them she told him, "You have a very beautiful daughter. She's a strong woman. And I say this just having met her a few times over the past few days." He said, "Yes, I met her 53 years ago." LOL. They both had me in tears at that point. (In fact, they've got me in tears again just typing that)

• Trinity411
    Trinity411 Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2017
    Options

Had my port placed on Wednesday. The procedure itself was painless, but I was surprised by how sore and uncomfortable I was that night and yesterday. Today it is still a little bit bothersome, but definitely feeling much better. My husband had to go out of town for work, so I have been busy dealing with my kids. I think that's a good and bad thing. Sometimes all I want to do is sit and relax, but they keep me jumping. For me, busy is good. The less time I have to think about and analyze everything the better off I am.

I will have my first treatment next Friday. I do feel a little unprepared. I feel like I didn't get much info in terms of prep from my MO. I got a flu shot and am having my teeth cleaned on Monday. After reading some of your posts, I will plan to eat light for a couple of days prior.

JadeShiva- I feel you bum pain. I had the same issues when I was pregnant and it was just awful. I really never found much relief other than waiting it out for them to resolve. I've been worried that this will become an issue again during Chemo for me as well. I hope you feel better soon and can avoid it on the next round

• Julz42XX
    Julz42XX Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2017
    Options

Well isn't this the peachy little life we all wanted! Lisa, I love your attitude you made me chuckle through out your message, thank u! +++++

I'm 41 also had a excellent job for 10 years with the government but this last year I took off to be a full time Grandma until the children's hospital came to town well I interviewed & got the job thought I better get all my girly stuff out of the way. Hear goes my story... It's all happened so fast I have triple negative in one breast then triple positive in the other! Well, I did AC + taxol on Monday, felt good til wed. Pretty bad can't hardly ride in a car can't set still Thurs (yesterday) was bad real bad! I did have to take a Xanax to just be able to ride in a car ( couldn't even look at my emails, had a Dr appt and could not set & stay in chair ;- so not like me) and stop my shakes!

Happy to report today Friday I feel good thank God because day 3&4 we're killer! I am exercising & eating really good even though I have no appetite I'm making myself eat today was the 1st meal that tasted good baked potato cz/ ketchup some green peppers & some no sodium vegetable broth!

I love this site & unfortunately all you ladies & gentleman stories thank you & good bless all of u! Mmmmmwahhhh!

• LisaCincy
    LisaCincy Member Posts: 316
    edited October 2017
    Options

Day 2 post chemo #2 and feeling fine. Steroids got me wired, so I was up half the night, but I'll take tired over nausea any day. I took advantage of my wakefulness to drink tons so that I could flush everything out. Water seems to be as essential as the anti-nausea drugs in getting me through this chemical overload. It's so weird to go from an occasional Excedrin to so many drugs that I have to put them on a spreadsheet and use a pill counter!

I took a walk this morning, but was cut short because chemo did a number on the old bowels. I can't imagine what my neighbors thought when they saw me passing by with my chemo cap on, and panicked grimace on my face while I frantically punched in the garage code.

Oh, cancer, you do make me feel glamorous!

I cannot wait to crawl into bed tonight. Maybe I can sleep through the last bout of steroids. If it goes like last cycle, Sunday will be my crash day, so I am going to try to curb the indigestion by eating bland foods. No peppers, onions and garlic on Crash Day!

jamorcar, welcome aboard. I know it's a ride you didn't want to take, but here we are, so put your crash helmet on and let's make the best of it

Julz42XX, glad you're feeling better and taking advantage of the good day. Wouldn't it be nice it the triple positive canceled out the triple negative? That baked potato sounds delicious!

Tabz, congratulations on a good night's sleep. I remember the first night I slept after the diagnosis. It felt so good not to have to listen to my very imaginative brain chatting it up all night! I hate that you feel alone. Maybe you could check out some support groups in your area?

Trinity411, I don't really think any of us are ever fully prepared for the chemo thing. It's like bungee jumping off a bridge and hoping like hell that someone remembered to buckle the safety harness before they pushed you off. My only advice is to buy a variety of bland foods ahead of time in case your appetite leaves you. You really do need to eat to keep your strength up.

Simbobby aka Scarlett O'hara, I'm trying to take my life in chunks, too. I'm pretty stoked that I'm already half way through the A/C portion. I'll focus on the 12 week Taxol thing another day. As far as surgery goes, I have done a little bit of research re reconstruction or not, because it's an important decision that I don't want to rush. It's only because I was triple negative that I haven't already had my surgery. I feel badly for people who have to make that decision so quickly, but I'm also kind of jealous that they have their major surgery already over with.

Anyway, Happy Friday everyone. Hope this weekend treats us all well.

• dkk
    dkk Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hello eightoutof18,

I am new to post but I have been reading posts for the last two months. We are both very similar in our cancer journey. I had my lumpectomy in Sept. 4/14 positive nodes. I will be taking my 3rd AC on 10/26. Just like you I have chemo on Thurs. and I am sick with nausea through Monday. Then it is like someone flipped a switch and I feel great; Just in time for my next chemo. My mo is working to help improve the nausea. Chemo #2 I had to go back in to get more infusion of steroids,nausea meds and hydration. I dread my next treatment.

Hair started falling out so I shaved it off last weekend. I am a high school teacher and

I have been wearing a wig to work. I had to cut down to three days a week because of the terrible nausea.. I have four more AC every other week. Then I will go every week for Taxol. I am hoping I don't have such terrible SE with that. Also I can't imagine not having a week in between to recoop.

Thank you for posting at least I know I am not alone when it comes to the SE of the chemo.

• MrsWinnie
    MrsWinnie Member Posts: 119
    edited October 2017
    Options

hello warriors!!! I FEEL GREAT TODAY lol yep back to myself. Chemo was the 11th.. Trying to get caught up on the boards. The fog brain is pretty much gone.

Big hugs rljessu my cancer twin lol your story will be differnt.. breath and wriggle your toes. Put on wild socks you wouldnt even show to santa clause and show them off proudly to your chemo nurses... And know your warrior sisters are with you!!

I ended up just using vasaline in my nose... Still sore tho but bleeding has stopped. So over all the worse for me was constant headache. And not much sleep first 4 days. The neupogen shot (we call it here G-CSF) gave me the strangest pulsating bone pain in my back and hips. Lasted 3 days. Tylenol helped but naproxin took care of it. Today my bloodwork was good and i got to stop my daily needles woooooo lol. I went for a short morning walk and managed to groom my dog today was totally exhausted after but felt great just to feel good. 9 days later... Phew.

• scaligirl
    scaligirl Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2017
    Options

I let my daughter (age 12) buzz all my hair off tonight. Then I jumped in the shower and shaved off all the stubble.

My hair was coming out in handfuls this morning in the shower. It was a little shocking to be honest. It's been falling out for a few days now but something changed and it kicked up a notch today. Plus my scalp really hurt all day.

It feels so great now. My scalp doesn't hurt any more. It's quite liberating. I highly recommend it 😉

Happy weekend everyone! Stay strong 💗

• Julz42XX
    edited October 2017
    Options

U go girl! I keep running my hands through my hair for loose strands, last week I cut my waist long hair to my shoulders ( haven't been this short since 5th grade) but I will do exactly what u did!

Be strong this is just a memory!!!!

God bless you ++++

Mmmmmwahhhh

• AgathaNYC
    AgathaNYC Member Posts: 317
    edited October 2017
    Options

Happy Saturday Ladies!!

jamorcar - enjoy the weekend and good luck on Monday! I'm on an AC + Taxol plan. too. I just got my second infusion yesterday. We've got your back!

Simbobby - Love the Scarlett attitude! It works in so many situations. I hope your cleared for Round 2.

fishingal - ugh! i'm so very sorry to hear about the port troubles. and then a virus on top of that. you deserve a break big time. say hi to your blanket and pillow for me!

Tabz - Huzzah for a good night's sleep. I haven't done that Chopra meditation that you mentioned. I did a Yoga Nidra guided meditation on the Insight Timer app and I slept well, too. Thanks for explaining what the oncological massage is like. It sounds like something we all should be doing. Also thank you for sharing the anecdote about your father! It really made me smile. My father and I were super close; he passed away almost 9 years ago. I've been missing him so much and would love to have him sitting next to me during chemo. Please give your dad a hug from me!!

Trinity - I didn't get any training or detailed info from my team until the actual morning of chemo and I did just fine at the first session. However hearing about others' chemo classes and training made me feel like I was in the dark and it made me nervous. Seems like you are doing all the right prep stuff you need to. We "old pros" are here if you have questions :-)

Julz - I am so sorry to hear the nausea is getting to you. There are sooooo many different medications that your oncologist can give you. If one isn't working they can swap it out to try another. I hope you find something that helps. For instance, right after chemo they have me take a steroid at night and an anti-psychotic in the morning and have regular compazine to take as needed.

LisaRx - I'm just a few days behind you on A+C :-) Thanks for guiding the way with such good humor and positivity!

DKK - you are soooooo not alone! all of us in the lucky group are going through it at the same time. we got you!!!!

MrsWinnie - I am so very happy to hear you're doing well. I didn't feel "great" myself until 11 days after the first infusion. What kind of dog to you have?

Scaligirl - I loved the image of your 12 year old clippering your hair. I hope she had fun with it (there are a couple of funny TV commercials out now about kids wielding clippers, have you seen them?) My hair's been shedding for a few days now. I'm not sure exactly when I'm going to buzz it but it'll be soon.

• AgathaNYC
    edited October 2017
    Options

Okay. Two AC's down and two to go! Like a lot of you I'm trying to take this whole thing in manageable chunks.

The second infusion went really well. One of my brothers was with me. I noticed that under his sweater the collar of a pink and white checked shirt was peaking out. I asked if he'd worn that in support of me. He did, and had even worn it at my first infusion but I didn't notice. I have 5 older brothers and they aren't the most expressive of emotions but his wearing that shirt spoke so much to me. I'm having lunch with another brother today - I'll let you know if he has any surprise tricks up his sleeve.

I'm feeling more encouraged after my meeting with my oncologist. We discussed 2 possible additional treatments for me if she finds any residual cancer after my surgery. Since I'm Triple Negative I really thought chemo, surgery and radiation were the only things for me. Just knowing my arsenal might be bigger helps.

My favorite thing of the last week is an essential oil diffuser I just bought. I've been diffusing frankincense for 3 days straight. Heaven. The essential oil is supposed to be effective in fighting breast cancer cells if applied to the skin or ingested. I'm not doing that but believe the diffused oil can't hurt - even if it just gets one of the little buggers.

I have a busy weekend planned. So far no nausea. Let's hope my friend Neulasta treats me right.

ENJOY, ladies!!

• petey111
    petey111 Member Posts: 157
    edited October 2017
    Options

Fishing gal - I am so sorry you have to deal with the school business right now on top of everything else.I can't believe that I listened to my heart at the end of the school year last year and quit my job….and that I didn't find the perfect new one to start.We always have used Spot Shot for a carpet cleaner when there was vomiting at our house.I can totally understand about the ice skating rink too.I've been there a few times.I hope the long weekend helps you feel better and heals up your virus!!

Day - I think you are doing an awesome job!!

Agatha - And so it begins right?Sorry to hear it's starting already.I have an essential oil diffuser too.I haven't bought any oils yet (other than the samples that came with it).So I'll have to do some investigation into those.

Eighth - I am sorry this is so emotional for you.How did the second treatment go?

Lisa - You have so many good tips.Thank you so much for sharing.

Jennifer - PT conferences can be hard to begin with, adding that emotional aspect in I bet was exhausting.Hang in there!

Jamor - I just got my port in too.I haven't started chemo yet, but might have the first one late next week.I'll be interested to see how it goes for you.

Simbobby - I love the one step, one day at a time mantra.I figure that's going to be the only way many of us get through this.Thinking of the long road ahead is overwhelming.

Tabs - Glad you go some rest!!!I am definitely going to ask the oncologist about what my sleeping options are.I take two benedryl every night to sleep to begin with, so I'll be interested in seeing what she says.I would be so in heaven with reflexology.I am so glad you have a support system!

Trinity - we will be very close in treatment schedule as well.I'm hoping for Friday for my first treatment.We have a ton of stuff on Thursday.Nothing I can't skip, but I wouldn't mind waiting until after that.I was surprised that my port is so much better this morning and I just had it put in yesterday.Don't get me wrong, it's still sore, but not bad.Hopefully, yours drops off too.

Julz - What an interesting diagnosis.I never thought you could get two "types" at the same time in different breasts.Hopefully, you get to have a few good days soon!!

DKK - Hang in there!I think us teachers almost need our own club!

Mrs. Winnie - CONGRATS on feeling great!!Gotta take every victory when you can right!!

Scaligirl - Good for you for biting the bullet and doing it!My husband keeps telling me I should let my son (also 12) shave my head when the time comes.But he is not very detailed oriented and he is pretty timid, so I'm not sure he will do it.:-)

Ok.I think I'm caught up!Hopefully, the weekend is good to everyone!

• petey111
    edited October 2017
    Options

Got my port in yesterday. After the rest of the "mix up" (lack of communication) with the Oncotype testing, we still had another issue yesterday morning when the surgeon thought my surgery was at 7:30 and it was supposed to be at 7:00. I knew I should have called his secretary back and told her that the surgery center had a different time. Oh well. The surgeon said he would make sure our communication gets better!

It was pretty sore yesterday, but not so sore today. I took a pain pill before I left the hospital, but my surgeon is stingy on pain pills and wouldn't send home a prescription. He said I should still have some at home from my lumpectomy three weeks ago. He only gave me 15 then. I had one left. He said I could just use Ibuprofen. I think I'll be ok with that, but we'll see. I am still a little off kilter from yesterday and the pain pills exacerbate it, so I'll try to make do with Ibuprofen.

Low key weekend for us which will be nice. Oncologist appointment for Monday! I am anxious to hear the plan. Happy weekend!

• Joyseeker
    Joyseeker Member Posts: 247
    edited October 2017
    Options

Good Morning Beautuful Ladies -

To all those that got a port this week. It is painful!! My surgeon sent me home with a script for Tramadol, I never filled it as I had some Tylenol 3’s left from my ankle fracture. I feel for you ladies that don’t get adequate pain meds 😳

I had my chemotherapy training yesterday then went to wal mart to buy supplies. Tea, mints, tucks, thermometer, senekot, Epsom salts, club soda, biotene toothpaste and rinse, new toothbrushes, sanitizer, thick body lotion. Do you think I missed anything crucial?

I am overwhelmed with the prescriptions and drugs I need to take. I have a great pharmacist and I will head there Monday and do all of my prescriptions. I am so thankful for my drug coverage!

I’m canadian so my regime is slightly different than yours. FEC-D six rounds. If all goes well my treatments will skirt around Christmas and my birthday. I’m clinging to that. I should be done by Valentine’s Day.

I’m already nervous. I hate unknowns.

By the way, how many educators in this October group??

Be good dear October friends,

Sara

• Binniebin
    Binniebin Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2017
    Options

hi all, I had my first AC 36 hours ago. Very spacey and a little clumsy first 12 hours from end of cyclo. Had refluxx more than nausea so metoclopromide didn't really work. So hope to either get ranitidine Iv pre next cylcle or just mylanta or such post chemo. Just tired now otherwise ok. So far...

New girls lilsky69, peteyflw157, trab21smyang, welcome! were all in it together strengthened by those who have trod our path and have so much to offer.

Jadeshiva, It might be an idea to get a real specific bowel plan by your onc nurse to balance constipation from the anti nausea drugs versus diarrhoea from the chemo. My doc said start anti constipation drugs the day before chemo and continue few days.

Scalligal, did you have Cyclophosphamide as it can cause cystitis, I'm sure the docs and nurses would have considered this with your bleeding. I was advised to drink loads fir the 48 hours post my AC regime. You must be exhausted with HB so low. Hope your doc listens to you and mostly hope you feel better

Re steroids and lack of sleep, try taking the 2nd dose of oral Dexa before 3 pm

Hair shave / cut. The thing I most dread is loosing my hair. I have a wig arriving soon, various scarves and turbans. But it bothers me the most. I decided not to go short first, mines just above shoulder. I'm going very similar style wig to mine now. But my sis-in-law suggested getting a short wig for when my hair starts to grow back that way I'll shed the wig earlier and be more used to short. I haven't had short hair since about 6 years old. But I'm thinking then I might go a little crazy with colour. When you get it shaved as I will as soon as shed starts ( my hairdresser will just do it after her last client whenever I need and will bring The wine). I only want her and me. How short do the young shave ie is it to the skin or a number 1 or 2?

May we all strengthen each other with support and sharing similar experiences and advice.And absorb it from others when we feel down so we stay strong together!

• scaligirl
    scaligirl Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2017
    Options

Binnie, I didn't have Cyclophosphamide. I actually met with my own Gyn this week as follow up. They got the pathology report from my D&C and it showed nothing but endometrial tissue typical for later stage of a menstrual cycle. So my entire episode appears to have been a total fluke. Totally bizarre, completely unexplained, but if it happens again I did tell her I am not dicking around and she is going straight to hysterectomy. It's scary sure facing surgery, and it would definitely throw me into menopause which I'm not there yet, but there is no way i am going thru that again.

For everyone thinking about shaving, I had my daughter use clippers with just the lowest cutters. It didn't have a comb shield so it was just the clippers against my scalp. She totally didn"t know what she was doing too. I did one swipe up the back of my head so she coukd see what the tool had to do, and then I just told her to go for it. It took a little longer but was totally worth it.

It was much less scary with her doing it. I'd been thinking about it for days and pictuing myself doing it kept making me cry. When she'd do the back of my head near my ears it kind of tickled so it was good to have a point where I could laugh for us both.

She even made a joke after a few minutes. "So you want the Larry Fine!" She got that from a Seinfeld rerun where George is dating a bald girl and complaining about his own baldness says "No one goes into the barber and says give me the Larry Fine." I laughed so hard.

After it felt weird feeling all the stubble. I read on another board that a lot of people get irritation from that, especially when sleeping so I decided to shave it too. I used some shaving cream, a brand new razor, and looking in a mirror as I did it, just mostly went by feel. It was just like shaving my legs, only a lot harrier. Again, not as scary as I had built it up in my mind once I started.

• HikerVA1956
    HikerVA1956 Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2017
    Options

Checking in with everyone! Welcome to all the new people posting. Thank you to all the regulars for your updates to help pave the way for those of us behind you. My 2nd round is this Tuesday. Not dreading it as much as I was the few days after first dose when I felt like crap. I have been so amazed this week at how great I feel. This past Sunday I had a "good" day and felt almost normal...I was able to be active, my energy level was just not at 100% yet. I went back to work on Monday, and worked 7:30 am to 5:30 pm which is the full day. I will NOT be doing that again while I am doing Chemo. I made it and work was great, but I crashed when I got home, and realized it frazzled me mentally and physically. The rest of the week I worked 9 am to 5:30 and felt MUCH better. I am off on Friday and went for my normal run of 4 miles. I walked-ran some of it, but just felt great. Today, I went for a hike up a mountain which is a 9 mile hike and although I am tired, I was able to make it in nearly the same time as I use to. I was NEVER expecting to able to do these things after chemo and although I have a feeling that as the sessions go on, I will become weaker, I am just still so grateful for these NORMAL feeling days, it is a gift from God!!!! Last Thursday when I was laying on the couch, suffering, I thought I would NEVER feel good again. This gives me so much hope, and makes me not dread the next chemo session. I have kept up my daily walking really well, except when I started back to work... work sort of put a stop to my healthy taking care of "me" time.. I noticed I was not moving around as much as I should, I was not rinsing my mouth with baking soda near enough and although I thought that I was drinking plenty of water, I was not gong to the bathroom as much, so I know it was not as good as home. These are all things that I must do better my next full week at work. This coming week I have already scheduled off all day Tues. which is Chemo day and all day Thurs. which was my worst day first round. I only said I would come in a few hours on Wed if I felt like it. I have plenty of sick-leave so in order to take "care of me" I need to use it. I just have to really work on "feeling guilty" about not being there...but my healthy comes first.. I did want to mention to those that are starting: my Onc. told me that my Chemo mix usually caused diarrhea, and I normally run toward being constipated. So I did not listen to those that talked about starting senecote the day of treatment... but by the time I realized I needed it I was 5-6 days into constipation... so for those of you who tend to be constipated, the Chemo only made it worse. I have been feeling a lot better since I got the Senecote, and it did not cause cramping or anything like some on here said. I had tried Miralax , which I normally like, but it was too slow to work and i found that it was super hard to drink even though it did not have flavor. Hair, mine has not started to fall out any more than normal, I always shedded really bad. But it has felt sort of heavy and lack-luster since first Chemo. Mine is collarbone length and I am leaving it and going straight for the buzz cut... So many of the ladies on here have mentioned that they got the short haircut only to have it last a week or so until cutting all off. And I am ready now, I have come to terms and I have a really great wig ready and waiting... and feel like I will also go without if I feel like it too. Thank you again for everyone's helpful hints and just walking us through this. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!! love to all.

• Julz42XX
    edited October 2017
    Options

Petey, & etc

I always say if it's gonna happen to anyone, it'll be me 😎 ++++

1st chemo was Mon. Today is Saturday!

My bad days were 3&4, horrible!

Happy to report today was another lovely day! 1st thing this morning I got my hour workout in.

To all of u thinking about oil diffuser... Do it! My brother bought me one with probably every oil scent out there, I recommend the peppermint! It's next to my night stand helps with anxiety & very relaxing!!

May God bless all of you.++++

Mmmmmwahhhh

• JadeShiva
    JadeShiva Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2017
    Options

I appreciate hearing all of your experiences, thank you all so much for sharing. <3

First @ petey111. 15 pain pills for a lumpectomy, and that's supposed to carry you through chemo? Grrrr. I am sorry that you are being handled that way. It's so frustrating that we can be dealing with cancer and surgeries and chemo and pain while the doctor worries about whether we'll get addicted to vicodin. I'd ask again. They are supposed to be there to help you and pain is a real side effect of all of this. /Rant over.

Second- I feel so much better overall and I am so very grateful.

Of course, it's all relative. If I asked anyone that felt just like me now that hadn't just been through a chemo session, they'd say that they feel horrible. I mean, there's still a lot going on here. I've got a sore on my tongue. I get wildly random sharp pains that really hurt and seem to appear from nowhere. I get tired walking quickly. My sleep quality and quantity is jacked. My bum is still sore. My emotions are a mess. Bacon has no flavor!

The list is long, plenty of reason to feel bad!

But you know what? I feel great! I am so happy to be past those terrible days. Who cares about that random stabby pain in my hip? It only lasts a moment! Gut gurgling? Whatever gut, I've got your number now! Exhaustion? That's what naps are for!

I really have a new understanding of what agony is. My marker for measuring pain is forever moved. These left over woes are small potatoes.

Am I ready for round 2?

I just got my preliminary oncotype DX results. My score is 12. I haven't seen the full report yet. I imagine my onc and I will discuss it before I get the next round. She seems to favor well studied and tested treatments. I can't say I disagree. I'm a fan of science. I'm curious as to whether or not she'll recommend I continue chemo. I've got a little time to think about it.

Day 10, as expected my hair is still staying in. Chin hair is growing fast and furious! Lucky me. I cold capped during round 1 and I feel like we followed the instructions closely and carefully. Maybe it stay around, maybe not. I imagine I'll know next week.

A few of my friends are planning to shave their heads with me if needed in a glorious fund raising party. They were disappointed when I told them I was going to try and save it. They love me, it's just that my hair is very, very long and everyone wants to see what I'll look like bald!

Did I mention how nice it was to feel human again?

Gentle journeys to you all.

• petey111
    edited October 2017
    Options

Joyseeker... woah woah woah. Your name is Sara??? Without an “h” (because h’s are ew!). That’s weird because mine is too!!!

Jade - You are right about those pills not being enough. I’m going to try to get through a day or two without them before I call. I hate how unsteady they make me. But we’ll see. I won’t be a martyr over it either

• SuLu
    SuLu Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I haven’t added my details to my profile yet. Here is what I know...er+pr+hr2-. 3.6cm, 1/5 node positive. Starting chemo in November. I didn’t see a starting in November 2017 group, so I came to October. I am either doing 4 TC or 6 FEC-D. I am waiting for onco type score to come back. As I write this I feel like I don’t have a good handle on the correct terms. I will learn. Yay. Anyone in Ontario?

• randrgirl
    randrgirl Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2017
    Options

hello DKK-

Yeah. Our treatments schedules are close. I only have 2 more AC’s left. Giving me 4 in total. #3 will be in early November, the final AC will be the week right before the holiday week. I work at a school as well so at least I get a few days off around the holiday do rest up. Then on to Taxol. Not clear on that schedule yet. It will be February or March by the time all of this ends. Sigh. My sister is coming over to shave my hair down tomorrow. It’s like rain falling so I have to let it go.

My second round bothered me more than it did when I received the first. It burned my sinuses so much that they had to slow it down and I ended up closing down the place. By the end of the day it was me my sister and her husband and another patient who started later. Anyway, so far so good. Just a little achy. Got my neulesta shot today to keep the germs away.

I did ask my doc for anxiety meds as others suggested here To take as needed. I’ve been having issues sleeping. Other than that, I’m feeling okay. That is until this treatment kicks in.

Hope your next treatments go well. Good fortune to everyone going through this. ♥️

• Binniebin
    Binniebin Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2017
    Options

jadeshiva, sounds like it's coming together better for you now. Pity about bacon though. You said your chin hair is growing. Ok so I'm lucky I'm blonde and fair. But I looked in the mirror last week pre first dose and thought my moustache is more obvious. I'm about 8 years post menopause. I'm not particularly vain, have only paint cheeks and lips on so I don't feel and look too pale, ie for years now. So you're notice more facial hair with chemo? Seriously wouldn't it be better too loose excess hair everywhere else and save our head hair. A bloke obviously made the chemos! Ha ha. Are your emotions better? I personally don't mind the down days so much as they let me really express ( better than my usual pattern of suppressing and down playing stuff) and most of my days are mentally fine... so far!

Scalligal, thanks for walking me through and advising. Sounds like full shave straight away is the go. My hairdresser will make a private time for me at her salon, neutral ground. Ive only had her 8 months so I like the distance that brings, but at the same time she is very sympathetic and has done this for friends also. My previous hairdresser for 7 years, then moved at Xmas has sourced my wig and been fab getting up to date advice where she is getting it from. I trust her implicitly. My hair is my archilles tendon. I spoke to one of my supervisors today telling her of my diagnosis etc and she said ' oh but its only your hair" even though I had started to say that was the worst thing for me about the whole eXperience ( did I add that she's an experienced nurse). I just cut her off and said no this horrible for me. Everyone else has sympathised with me and listened to my pain. I friend said beautifully just imagine it growing back that was after sending pics of her in 5 of her daughters costume wigs. I did put my fun purple wig on first chemo which gave the girls a good giggle, but it's costume, scratchy lasted 3 minutes.

Must be very scary facing surgery , but sounds like it's necessary. Just will add to everything else for you , surgery and menopause. We'll provide strength when you have less just as you have provided strength to many of us. Thinking of you, when's it happening?

I

• AgathaNYC
    edited October 2017
    Options

Good Morning, Rocktober Girls!

I am just popping in quickly to let you know that I woke up feeling great. This second round of AC + Neulasta has been MUCH kinder to me to the first was (at least so far.) Thought that might be a little encouraging to anyone who is still working their way through their first round.

I think I can get a few days more out of my short haircut before it's time to buzz it down. Many because I am tired of sweeping up - it's getting everywhere! :-)

Welcome to the gang, JadeShiva, BinnieBin, and SuLu.

Have a great Sunday, everyone.

• LisaCincy
    LisaCincy Member Posts: 316
    edited October 2017
    Options

Binniebin, thanks for the suggestion to take my afternoon steroid before 3pm to help with sleep. I was actually considering skipping it altogether last night because I am so fatigued from steroid fueled insomnia. Still way better than nausea, but still... Yesterday 2 nights of no sleep caught up with me. It was a beautiful day but I just couldn't muster up the energy to get moving. I hate feeling like I've wasted an entire day, not because I don't feel well but because I'm delirious. I'll definitely try to move that last dose back a few hours.

Today it's Day #4 past A/C #2, which was the worst day for me last cycle, and I'm happy to report that this time was much better than last. I felt the acid reflux coming on last night and chewed up a few Tums before bedtime, then chewed on some more at 4am. I've stuck to relatively bland food - greek yogurt and berries, a banana and pb for snack -- and so far so good. I also walked a 5k walk this morning, in support of Brain Cancer research, from my SIL, who was diagnosed with Brain Cancer (Glioma) 5.5 years ago. 4 years after completing her year-long chemo/radiation treatment, she's still in remission, and living life to the fullest. Woo hooo!

It's so encouraging to read everyone's stories here, and to personally know dozens of people who are not just living, but thriving, after receiving scary cancer diagnoses,. We are making real strides in this fight. And we are seeing some really fantastic new strategies, from proton and photon therapy, to some really promising gene therapies that are successfully loading and unleashing our own immune systems to combat previously incurable cancers....Can you imagine a day where these grueling chemo regimens are a thing of the past? I can!

• AgathaNYC
    edited October 2017
    Options

When I wrote first thing this morning I hadn't taken my shower yet. The hair came out in clumps so off to get buzzed I went. It actually felt very nice.

I was really anxious to try on my wig without much hair underneath it. It fits really well and I think it looks pretty good. My friends have told me so today but I'm scared they're just being nice. Tomorrow at work will be the real test!

So here's the wig. I'm calling her Hildegard (no reason - just came to me.)

• HikerVA1956
    HikerVA1956 Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2017
    Options

Agatha, Love the wig, it does look like your real hair!!! It really looks natural and the color is perfect... I have purchased my wig, but waiting for the buzz cut to wear it. I am closely behind you, so feel like I will be doing the buzz next weekend. My 2nd treatment is Tues. Tonight when I blew my hair dry and I always have to flat iron it, more was falling out than before... But I am not babying my hair, doing what I always do and when it is gone, it is gone... picked out some beanies on line tonight to order, looking forward to my new adventure!!!

Lisa: so proud that you were able to walk a 5k today, and glad to hear that your 2nd round was not as bad...gives me hope for this week.

• AgathaNYC
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks, Hiker!

The wig really fits like it's supposed now that my hair is buzzed. Good idea to wait.

Good luck on Tuesday. The second round has been a lot easier. Not even a second of nausea. To be honest the thing that is bothering me the most is my sore fingertip from the blood test on chemo morning! Happy