Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2017 Diagnosed-- A Place To Share "Whats Next"

Options

Comments

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    edited July 2020
    Options

Dodge, I can understand how this response from the govt makes it feel like they agree with your terminality and that makes it seem really real. One must remember that govts have no brains. Lots of workers, but no central brain that does any large amount of thinking so....take thier opinion with a grain of salt. But I do know that it would be a galvanizing moment. I hope your exhausting shopping excursion brought you a few goodies to smile about when you get your wind back. And you will. 

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited July 2020
    Options

Runor— I am enjoying the fruits of my labor (grocery shopping yesterday) this morning as I have a slice of strawberry bread toasted for breakfast

And I slept ALL night (so will probably ignore a possible connection between heavy walking and good sleep at night) so feel ready to charge the world this morning (from inside my house void of contact with CoVid19)

• LKinKC
    LKinKC Member Posts: 41
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I just found this group also after I went to the starting chemo February 2018 and saw the link. I have been doing good until this 6 month check up with OD, found a axillary node, I had a biopsy on Wednesday the 15 th. but don't have the results yet. Did get the results of the PET scan. I feel numb about by what I read, it states I have presumptive mets in lung, liver, and axillary node. Does that mean I have reoccurrence. STAGE IV, just asking for your input. I see my OD on July 23. Thank's
  • moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hi LKinkC - oh dear, if those PET results are confirmed, yes that would be stage IV. Hang in there. Hugs.

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

LKinKC—- as Moth wrote, if the PET scan is accurate, having mets outside the breast area would be Metastatic, yes.

Take a deep breath. PET scans can be wrong and it isn’t cancer until PET results are confirmed.

We are here with you. Moth and I just went thru a Metastatic BC diagnoses. Feel free to ask questions or just vent and we all will listen. Great ladies are here.

Sending you hugs.

• LKinKC
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thanks moth for your reply. I remember you from the starting chemo feb 2018 posts. Sorry to hear about what you are going through.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2020
    Options

LKinKC - so hard to hear the PET results. Life changing, but as DodgersGirl said not confirmed yet. My heart goes out to you. HUGS

• byhisgracetwice
    byhisgracetwice Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2020
    Options

DG — in the SS disability, so few of those are approved on the first application. Stage 4 cancer is on a rubber stamp. If you have that Dx you’re approved. The rationale is to get the clock ticking on one’ eligibility for Medicare. There’s Stage 4 and then there’s Stage 4, you’re not at the jumping off place Stage 4. That’s a reference to One of my favorite movies, fried green tomatoes. “jumping off place” meaning the character is old, not that she’s ready to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge. You’re neither, but it is a reference I applied to our circumstances.

🌈

j

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

ByHisGraceTwice— now I want some fried green tomatoes!!! And I do have green tomatoes on the vine.

• byhisgracetwice
    edited July 2020
    Options

DG — not a fan of the real Fried green tomatoes but am fried okra. Had three ready today. In a few more days, I’ll be covered in them. Can hardly wait

🌈

j

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

ByHisGraceTwice— there is a restaurant in Missouri called Lambert’s (I think there a few Lambert’s here and there. I’ve only been to the 2 in Missouri). They are known for their “throwed rolls”. They come by each table and serve side dishes that are extra to whatever comes with your meal. One of those extra sides is fried okra. Lambert’s is the first place I had eaten fried okra. Found out I like fried okra.

• LKinKC
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I like fried green tomato's and fried Okra. Would highly recommend Lambert's it is a great place. Not sure if it's open during this Covid-19 stuff. When things open go.

I also got a call from one of my doctor's today. My biopsy was positive.😥 Don't see the MO till Thursday for a plan. So I guess the PET scan was correct. 😟

• byhisgracetwice
    edited July 2020
    Options

LKinKc — 😔 — I’m sorry the biopsy results were positive. Even when we “know” what the result will be, it’s still disappointing and scary when the words are said out loud. Going to feel like twenty years before Thursday gets here 🙏

🌈

• moth
    edited July 2020
    Options

LKinKC, oh crap. I am sorry to hear that. Big hugs.

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

LKinKC—- in your pocket for Thursday. And sending you hugs, virtually now.

Tomorrow I see MO. Hoping my blood work behaves so I can start next cycle of Ibrance. MO will probably tell me scans will be scheduled for August. I have scans every 3 months. Those 3 months go very fast. Sigh.

• moth
    edited July 2020
    Options

DG fingers crossed for your bloodwork! I'm waiting for blood results too to see if I'm good to go tomorrow :)

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

Mot- good luck back at you!

My ANC was 2.0 so I was cleared to start my next cycle

• moth
    edited July 2020
    Options

My anc is good as well and I'll be getting both taxol and atezolizumab tomorrow. Yay us!

Reminded me of thread here "you know you're a breast cancer pt when" - someone said

"you're hoping your bco sister's blood counts are high enough so she CAN get chemo!"

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

Moth- ha ha ha. We do live in an odd world, don't we.

Good luck with your chemos tom

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

Got my bloodwork back faster this month than any month since Stage 4 diagnosis

Platelets are up and almost to the low end of normal. Maybe next month?

WBC and RBC are both low. That’s expected with Ibrance

Both tumor markers continue to drop. Hoping that means Ibrance and Letrozole are doing their thing.

Started the next cycle of Ibrance tonight.

Having some arthritis pain in knee and thumbs. I am hoping I feel the arthritis pain because meds are helping knock down bone mets pain which allows arthritis pain to be noticed. Don’t know if that’s a thing but it’s my story and I am going with it!!

Hope you all are enjoying what you can during this weird 2020 year.

Waving hello to you all 👋

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,598
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hey gang, I haven’t posted here in a long time and am not caught up but wanted to check in and let you all know that I’m still here.

It’s been a tough year so far with a craniotomy in January and a damaged nerve that paralyzed my left vocal cord, I still don’t speak or swallow properly but after 5 1/2 months on soup and boost drinks, I can finally eat! All bucket list trips cancelled but the hubs and I get along well, so being home bound has been fine.

I’m happy to see this thread still active and hope you’re all managing life ok despite everything.

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

Illimae—. Hello!!

2020 has been a crappy year thus far, for sure.

Hoping your paralyzed left vocal chord wakes up and plays nicely.

Stop by an

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    edited July 2020
    Options

Dodge, it makes me happy to read this. I am punching you in the shoulder and smiling stupidly at you. I look in on you often, even though you don't know it. 

• dodgersgirl
    edited July 2020
    Options

Runor, thanks!

Now I know why my shoulder is sore! Hee hee

Hope you are doing well.

Gosh, can’t believe it’s almost August.

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hey DodgersGirl and all. So good to read through the posts and catch up with you. DG, sounds like you are getting mostly good results and I second what others have said about SSDI -- although I totally get the initial gut reaction. People who never dreamed they'd need government help are now unemployed, enrolling their kids in the school lunch program, and waiting for Congress to get their act together to help all the small businesses hanging on by a thread. All of that is why you and I paid taxes all these years! So I'm always happy when Medicare, Medicaid, or SSDI can help make someone's life a tiny bit less stressful.

I'm doing fine although I never did start the recommended Prolia shot. It feels too risky to go to a doctor's office, and I'm instead walking, lifting weights, and being more careful about getting enough vitamin D and calcium. My last mammogram was in March and was A-OK.

And baseball is also making me happy! Too many players are testing positive for covid to be sure the season will continue much longer, but it sure is relaxing to watch a game on a hot and steamy summer evening.

You are all in my thoughts.

• dodgersgirl
    edited August 2020
    Options

Georgia1–. Waving hello to you 👋

Reference prolia— do you get Dexa scans to check bone density?

Baseball- haven’t missed a game yet this year. Being retired allows me that bit of fun!

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2020
    Options

Yep DG, my MO has tricked my insurance company into paying for annual scans. I’ve seen modest improvement but still classified as osteoporosis. Hoping it cools down so I can get back to the daily walks.

• dodgersgirl
    edited August 2020
    Options

Georgia1— that’s great news that you were able to get that Dexa Scan. Wish for you stronger bones!

I never thought I would have to worry about osteoporosis. My first Dexa scan showed my bones had the strength of someone many years younger than my actual age. Knowing AIs were detrimental to bone health, I took supplements and did weight baring exercises. I was actually looking forward to my 2029 Dexa Scan cause I was sure my results would still show strong, healthy bones. My bone mets had a different idea. I guess I take bone strength more seriously than I did previously.

Enjoy your daily walks.

• LKinKC
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi everyone, Had my first taxol. Perjecta., herceptin for the stage IV BC reoccurance yesterday. It went well. No side effects yet hope they stay away or are much less than last time. Anybody else on this combo?

• dodgersgirl
    edited August 2020
    Options

LKinKC— I am not on that chemo group but I did have 12 cycles of Taxol. I did find that I had trouble sleeping the night after chemo. Also the day after chemo, my face turned bright red from the steroids

Also, while Taxol was administered, I iced my hands and feet which some facilities recommended. I iced my hands and feet starting 15 mins before Taxol, all during Taxol, and 15 mins after Taxol. Icing is supposed to help protect your nails and slow down / help prevent neuropathy

I think I have read posts where people MAY experience loose stools from Perjeta. Hope someone piped in who has been on your treatment meds. I think the Herceptin and Perjeta are used for triple negative cancers or HER2 + cancer.

I hope you get GREAT results from your treatments. Sending you well wishes and virtual hugs