Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2017 Diagnosed-- A Place To Share "Whats Next"

Options

Comments

• LKinKC
    LKinKC Member Posts: 41
    edited August 2020
    Options

Thanks DodgersGirl, I am Her2+, yes the diarrhea hit but the doctor had given me meds to take so. I started taking them right way. Hope your having a good day. Virtual hugs to you to.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited August 2020
    Options

Had another MO appointment this morning. Blood work showed numbers high enough to start my next cycle of Ibrance/Letrozole.

I haven’t looked over my numbers yet. I just glanced at the paper and think most looked good so I am pleased

Had my monthly XGEVA shot. Nurse was so good, I didn’t feel the shot at all. Normally there is a bit of a burn while getting the shot. Not today!

I had a Shingles Shot Monday and was a bit concerned I might show a low grade fever today and not be allowed in the cancer center. Lucked out. No fever!!!

• scottie719
    scottie719 Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2020
    Options

Good news all around, DodgersGirl - Thanks for the update!

• byhisgracetwice
    byhisgracetwice Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2020
    Options

Great news DodgersGirl — keep those good numbers coming.

🌈

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    edited August 2020
    Options

Dodge, that news is good. We'll take it. 

• scottie719
    edited September 2020
    Options

Just checking in with everyone - This board has been uncharacteristically quiet for way too long! Hope all is well.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi Scottie, hope you're doing well!

may it remain quiet & serene & may as many as possible just fade away to their happily ever after life after cancer :)

• scottie719
    edited September 2020
    Options

Amen, Moth! My hope is that there's nothing new to report, and that "the sounds of silence" is indeed a positive development!

• runor
    edited September 2020
    Options

Waving. Silnetly. Shhhhh.

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi guys, Just catching up.

Dodgers and Moth, hang in there. It's not a death sentence. Lots of people are stage iv and live twenty more years. Who knows maybe they'll find a cure soon.

Mostly good for me. Tired of Covid. Have been purposely staying away from the site hoping I can forget about bc. I guess bc cancer has a way of making life difficult. Looks like I've got lymphedema in my left arm. Hurt like hell and thought it looked swollen but couldn't really be sure. I figured that would teach me for shoveling off the deck. Then finally decided to go see the doctor. She measured and yup that arm is 2 1/2 inches bigger than the right. Every time I drive by the Cross Cancer I think please don't let me have to ever go back there. I use to go there to pickup my Letrozole there but said mail it to me so I don't have to ever step foot in there again. So, back to the Cross Cancer I go for treatment. I suppose it'll have to be a love/hate relationship with that place.

You talk about stupid things people say. When I tell people I have Lymphedema the first thing they say is so the cancer is back. Oh gosh I want to slap them. And this is from people who've already had BC. I tried to explain it to DH but finally ended up saying oh go look it up on the internet.

• runor
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi Pink and other 2017ers. PINK : That lymphedema can be a bear. I suffer with it but it's a lot better than it was at first.It requires constant management. I was lucky that I was able to get mine under control, mostly by accident. I don't wear my arm thingy anymore, god I hated that thing! But I still daily have swelling on my ribs below my bra wire, under my arm, around the back onto my shoulder blade and the breast itself is sometimes hard and very sore by the end of the day. Like you, if I put in any length of time, say splitting a whole box of kindling, my arm will let me know. Concussive force seems to trigger it.

I'm sick of covid too but unlike many, hell most, I do not support anything that has been done and if you don't stand in the camp with everyone else, they think they get to throw rocks at you. I have had a lot of rocks thrown at me for speaking my mind, rocks thrown by people who, to my way of seeing the world, abdicated their right and responsibility to examine what their govts and leaders were telling them. We know, KNOW from the written history of humankind that people in power tend to go mad if not kept in check and its' like every leader has caught rabies and gone berserk. But I can't say that. I have lost friends. Despair is creeping into so many houses and hearts. People are losing faith in each other, themselves and the people in charge. This has torn families apart and communities. I rarely post on BCO anymore because it seems the vast majority here, as everywhere, feel that its' the govs job to keep them safe. No matter what. Right or wrong, good or bad, we can face no risk and no price is too high to pay to keep us safe. Only the price IS too high. But I get a rock in my eye when I say that. So most often, I don't. 

I have been waiting almost 2 months now for the phone call telling me  to come in for my annual mamm. I hate that I still get so tense over this. Not the mamm itself, but knowing that all it takes is for the tech to walk back out and ask to take a 2nd set of pictures. We all know what that means. Oh, we may tell ourselves that they're just being thorough. They just want to make sure the pictures are accurate. But we know. We're not stupid. I have reached a place where I think about cancer less, think about dying less. But still way more than I did pre-2017. WAAAAY more. Late at night when I can't sleep my mind goes to bleak, awful, terrifying places. Love and hugs, health, hope and healing to everyone!

• scrafgal
    scrafgal Member Posts: 412
    edited November 2020
    Options

Greetings, all!

I haven't been here since the time the pandemic went full force here! My job and life just got too stressful, and to pink's point, I just wanted to avoid to bc stress by avoiding this site. Then again, to runor's point, I had my routine mammogram, bloodwork, and bone density tests this week. All went well, but I was stressed just waiting for them to tell me to either go home or give them more pictures. Even though I had plenty of time to work for the rest of the day, I was mentally wiped out by the stress involved in the appointments--not to mention the whole pandemic scene at the cancer center.

I was diagnosed 2 days after Christmas in 2016...met my oncologist for the first time on Jan 2, 2017. This time of year is great, but in some ways, it reminds me of getting diagnosed. I, too, think about bc less, but still more than before my diagnosis

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,598
    edited November 2020
    Options

I’m tired of Covid too, I assume the whole world is. Like runor, I’m for gov to do what was intended long ago and not much more, definitely not dictating to us. I just wish more people took it upon themselves to be cautious and responsible where and when appropriate.

Happy to see you all checking in. I’m improving but still sound like phillis diller with my vocal cord problem. Oh well, I can eat and had a great thanksgiving meal and company.

Wrapping up our house to sell and permanently relocate to our cabin, finally feeling well enough to get back in action.

I hope everyone else is good :)

• runor
    edited November 2020
    Options

Illiame, Phyliss Diller was a class act and had the best legs I've ever seen on a woman! I hope to be her one day or Dorothy Zbornack from Golden Girls. That's who I want to be when I grow up!

• scottie719
    edited November 2020
    Options

Greetings all, and happy 'holiday formerly known as Thanksgiving'. It warms my heart to know we share a brain on COVID - I've really dialed back my news watching because the constant pandemic updates [and wildly contradictory pronouncements] were making me both nuts and angry. I finally realized that it was all just too familiar - That the "mixed messages" were taking me back [almost four years - how can that BE?] to the early days of dx and tx, and my finally having to come to terms with the fact that there is just a boatload of conflicting information and that we all just have to make the best decisions for ourselves - and then live our lives.

All is well with me - but the upcoming "anniversary" dates looming on the calendar have me thinking more about BC than I had for a while. Here's to good health and much happiness all around - Certainly more of a challenge to spot those 'slices of joy' this year, but we all know they're out there, just waiting to light us up when we least expect it!

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,166
    edited November 2020
    Options

I too think of bc as the holidays loom. My first rads was 12/26/17, yes - the day after Christmas. I barely remember that Christmas as my focus was fuIl on bc.

This year focusing on remote kearning with my grand niece. What doesn't kill us makes is stronger. Be kind, be safe.

• Insideout2
    Insideout2 Member Posts: 108
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hello Everyone,

Checking in. I often browse, but seldom post. This site and various posts helped me a lot. I chose reconstruction after my treatment. I am happy with the results. I get tense after each PET scan. We chose to do scans every three months due to family hx. No changes, extended the last one to six ( one in March, then September)and now testing back to three. A spot on my right side is of concern. I was like really. We agreed to do another before the end of the year. I called yesterday to set it up for December 17th and will follow-up with the doctor the following Tuesday. I know its the week of Christmas, but results are results. I got my first notification December 13, 2017 from the radiologist. I figure get my results and take whatever I need to do in stride. My heart and mind at this point in time says either I will celebrate and continue to monitor my health or prepare to kick cancer's butt again. We are so strong. I remember reading and sharing the beginning steps of our journey. We constantly were there for one another. Some chose to post, some come to read. Either way a connection was felt and made. It took me a while to find this post. I went to others because many move on and for some this site is a reminder of a difficult time. I feel if we can look back, then we accomplished moving forward. Sounds crazy, but I remember us discussing getting ports placed in, first rounds of Chemo and radiation, anticipating what was next.

We are now in 2020, all living in a time where COVID is presents an additional challenge. Regardless of your current situation there are so many fellow sisters here to support us.

For those with an additional dx stay strong you got this, take one moment and step at a time. For those hitting their next mile stone celebrate each moment. I was finally able to lift a 20lb weight and can do ten push ups straight. Am I a fit guru no. I am overweight. 5'5 200 plus Lbs. Could be smaller yes, but when I loose weight I stress out. I lost weight before being dx and tend to tie weight loss to cancer and sabotage weight loss efforts. Hey I am sure we all have quirky things cancer has left us with.

All this typing to say sending love and prayers to everyone. The support given here is real and makes more of an impact that any of us individually can measure.

Insideout2

• Cpeachymom
    Cpeachymom Member Posts: 249
    edited February 2021
    Options

Stopping by to say hi. Thank you ladies for being here! I haven’t logged in really since the whole Covid thing, too much going on.

But when unexpected scans come up, or mammo time rolls around, and the fear and anxiety start to rear their stupid heads...well here I am. You ladies are my support group. I scan the boards and look for familiar faces and smile to “see” you.

Illimae...congrats on the move! Hope it went off without a hitch and you are enjoying your cabin! We just bought a house in small town NH, haven’t closed on it yet though.

Runor ... I got chickens! You are the only person on the board that I knew had chickens. (I’m sure there are others) We’re raising them for eggs, soy free for my little girl.

Speaking of little girl... we now have two! We are in the process of adopting a two year old who has been living with us since 2019. With my two oldest still living home, that’s 6 of us under one roof.

I hope you are all well. May your scans be clear and your se’s minimal!

• scottie719
    edited February 2021
    Options

Perfect timing for your post, cpeachymom. I had my annual imaging yesterday, and all was clear - but I surprised myself with my anxiety level [which my BP readings sure confirmed!]. I also got the good news that my bone density has improved from two years ago [I doubled my calcium intake and added Vitamin D - along with walking 4 miles/day when it's not ridiculously cold and windy!], so I have much for which to be thankful. My really sore hips from Arimidex are my only BC-related complaint at this point [you'd swear I was 92 when I get out of bed in the morning...], and for that, I know I am truly blessed.

Be well, all - I check this board almost every day, and love seeing posts from fellow 2017 sisters. Four freaking years ago. Amazing.

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited February 2021
    Options

hi 2017 ers. Missed you all. Have been off board for the last month and prior to that was about two years ago. Wow does time fly.

Update. Now only see my MO yearly. She doesn't do much just "feels" me up and reorders my tamoxifen.

U had the euro flap which some of u will know. It's .. Fair.

My abdominal scar us long and still tight. Part of it a brownish red.

My uterus is filling with enlarging fibroids and I'm a little concerned about it. When they scan it they can't see much due to the vast numbers. My MO doesn't seem to be concerned. I'll be in tamoxifen for another year or so

I too have osteopenia or "low bone mass" and have increased my gut d to 2000 and try to remember the calcium supplement. Hard taking calcium as it has to be taken alone otherwise it interacts with other meds.

So good to see some familiar names and that you are doing so well.

So what do you think. Should u oush to get that uterus out?

Teresa

• runor
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi all. Logged in today and this was flagged in my fave list and it's timely. I am shortly out the door to my mamm, coming 4 months late due to covid. I have been noticing some weird physical changes over the last several months and then had a weird event of vaginal bleeding and now I'm waiting for an ultrasound appointment to see what's going on with my uterus. So, I am nodding my head in absolute understanding over the heightened anxiety. As I was watching tv last night and trying to NOT be anxious I was anyway. It was like being dragged across concrete by my ankles while I tried to hold on with my fingernails chanting no no no over and over. I went to bed in a bad mental place. Now my big worry is how not to be sweaty and stinky as some poor tech lady handles my roast sized boob onto a tray where it wants to stick and not co-operate. What a yucky job that must be. I also worry about my blossoming gut, which tends to also get in the way. This is never a good day. If I hear results in less than 3 weeks I'll be amazed! Hugs to all.

CPeachy - yes! I have chickens. I love my chickens. I have light mocha eggs, dark eggs, the odd green egg. My eggs are beautiful !  If I had a rooster I'd be putting eggs in the incubator (I built the incubator!) but I got rid of the boys - they are so noisy!- and now I regret it. Had some very nice black copper marans boys that I should have crossed back to my black copper marans girls. Oh well. I might just buy a dozen or so hatching eggs from someone and toss them in the bator and see what pops out. Word of caution, do not ask me about chickens, I will talk on like an idiot for ages!

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi sisters.

Time heals quite a bit. I had 4yr DX anniversary which coincides w my birthday. Less and less cancer related tv commercials bother me. I don't get the urge to break TV. I also accepted that no children. My older sisters became grandmas recently so I get to smile at the pictures instead. Damned COVID.

I really try not to be hypochondriac. But I had a little neck nodule appearing w little puss. Right now it looks like thyroidectomy sutures from 7 yrs ago caused little infection. I had no choice of dropping $1,000.00 for the ck up and test at the same cancer center.

Still getting every 6mo for Onco and yrly for surgeon yes that reminds me next time I go there I will grab at least 5 hand sanitizer kits to my pocket book.

Have been working from home has been doing wonders for my mental health enough I got off of one happy pill completely and reduced the second by at least 25%. Most importantly no weight gain due to staying home.

This COVID thing brought layoffs by my employer recently. Came on my birthday and the next day again. I have a feeling my extended diarrhea aka breast cancer saved me from layoffs. Still I am frazzled. Time to get our bleep to the daily grind plan in drive mode.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 755
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi there . Just stopping in while watching the super bowl. I think I participated in this topic some years ago. Still trying to move on. I’m doing well, just still every 6 months of something. I’d like to get released from bs and maybe get annual mo. Appointments. Not there yet. What I want and what happens aren’t the same. I realize it could be worse as some of you lovely women will always be going and checking. So, happy to see you all. It’s good to know the anxiety of going tothese tests and appts. are shared by many of us. Keeps me from thinking I’m not actually going crazy. I should take a couple months break from here til next mammo and bs appt. Got a birads 3 on the last one, and just got another see you on 6 months on a recent mri. With an $1800. Bill.

Staying as strong and positive as possible. Most days are good but there’s still some hard ones.

Take care.

• runor
    edited February 2021
    Options

Oh my god. So this happened today while getting my mamm.

After the vice of death releases my boob, I do not stay at the machine. I walk over to where the tech is standing behind a sheet of plexiglass looking at two big screens and I look at my boob on the two big screens. The regular techs are used to me doing this. They are not surprised. My tit, I get to look at it if I want. So I do. 

But today there was a new lady. I walked over to look and she immediately said, somewhat abruptly, "I can't tell you anything !" I say, I know. I hadn't asked her to tell me anything. I know they can't tell me anything. She seemed quite defensive. Whatever. I am told to wait in the waiting room again. 

I'm sitting there when she comes out of the room and says, I quote, "I need to get another shot. He's going to want another look at that."  I'm like...whaaattt did you just say? She can't tell me anything but boy, she just dropped a big one right there in the waiting room. He's going to want another look at that?  Holy shit. My heart dropped into my shoes.

I am trying not to freak out. I am remembering what my rad onc told me when a mamm said it looked like they had left cancer behind after lumpectomy and I called her and yelled. She said, if anyone thought you had cancer  you would not have walked out of that hospital without a biopsy. Not a chance. So if no one runs in with a needle and stabs you in the tit, it's likely no one really thinks you have lingering cancer. (she didn't say it exactly like that but mostly. ) So since no one tit stabbed me I am telling myself that it's nothing. Three weeks to wait for results. Three weeks. What bullshit. 

Also..the weight gain and crepey skin of old age plus tamoxifen makes me really hate myself. It is dehumanizing to stand there with your big old floppy tit out while some 95 pound tech manhandles it between two crushing devices. Slaps it up there like a big old slab of pastrami, splat. Then under pressure it spreads until you think, jesus christ, my tit's the size of a friggin placemat! I have placemat boobs! How does one remain dignified?  Big old wobbly boobs, clammy, smelling like sweat because you can't use deodorant,  wearing a robe the colour of vomit. God. This day sucks. 

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    edited March 2021
    Options

I just learned a couple hours ago that my MRI today shows bone Mets in my sacrum and lumbar vertebrae. I had been dealing with pain and discomfort for 3 months.

I'm in shock and I don't know what to do next. I did order a couple books on battling cancer holistically and nutritionally. I am sure I need to tackle this with more than conventional medicine. My primary care physician is calling the oncologist for me. Not sure if I should also call him. I haven't called my husband yet.

Also looking at integrative medicine in other states. Has anyone heard of a great place to go? Would the Osher Center for Integrative Health in Nashville be just as good as the one in San Francisco?

• scrafgal
    scrafgal Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2021
    Options

GoKale

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I don't know of integrative medical centers but I did find the various therapies/services useful at my cancer cernter's integrative unit. I particularly found acupuncture quite useful for pain (and relaxatioan, believe it or not) and they offered nutritional advice etc. I think that there is an integrative healing thread here at bc.org. They probably have lots of resources.

I am just so sorry to hear this, and hope that you meet with an oncologist who can give you a lot of good data about how to best move forward. As you know, you are not alone in this.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2021
    Options

GoKale, oh I hate your news. Come join us in the stage 4 forums There's an active bone mets thread and Mel's living room (my husband, my life...thread) and all the treatment threads.

I'm wrapping you up in a big blankie and giving you a big hug. It gets better. It's crazy and seems impossible but it does. But it also effing sucks so much.

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2021
    Options

GoKale: My heart goes out to you. Big hugs to you.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2021
    Options

GoKale - not news any of us wants to hear. HUGS I know are not enough. Much love to you.

• runor
    edited March 2021
    Options

GoKale, that is horrible news and I am so sorry to hear it. Moth gives good advice, head to Mel's thread for some serious support. Hugs.