Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2017 Diagnosed-- A Place To Share "Whats Next"

Options

Comments

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited December 2017
    Options

Castigame-- sorry you have to go thru the polyps issues. Hoping for the best of possible outcomes

Going back to work and having 4 weeks vacation sounds fantastic. Now you can start planning fun ways to use that time off. Anything is better than using vacation days fir doctor visits! I used the last of my time for my mastectomy and figure I will use all my 2018 time for my hysterectomy... sad face

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi everyone. I finished up RADS today so wanted to check in with all of my old friends, and say hello to new acquaintances, over on this thread.

PeachyJeanne, nice to "meet" you. I hear you on getting different advice; when the science is new that happens all too frequently. I would add my two cents, which is if a clinical trial is an option I would encourage you to pursue that. Even if you talk to the doctors running the trial and decide not to enroll, you'll learn a lot. And if you do enroll you'll be helping lots of women.

Jeezlouise, I hope you are now resting comfortably in your own bed. I had lumpectomy and SNB, so please let me know if I can help at all.

Castigame, going to the doctor all the damn time = no fun. It's awful I know to feel like an invalid after a diagnosis that came out of the blue. Hope you can hang in there, and find a way to pace yourself with rest and normal activities to even out the "medical days."

Warmest wishes to all of you.

• kmm6
    kmm6 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi everyone. This is my first post to the group. I was diagnosed with pleomorphic LCIS almost six years ago. Biopsy, lumpectomy and five years of Tamoxifin. I Google it every once in a while to see if more information is available, which is how I stumbled onto this page. All information welcome. I have had clear mammograms but still concerned about how rare and aggressive pleomorphic can be, and how doctors don't seem to know how to address it. Any advice welcome. I am 43 years old.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi kmm6-

Welcome! We completely understand your concern, it can be so frustrating and scary to not have a lot of information about your cancer, especially from medical professionals. We hope you continue to have clear mammos!

The Mods

• LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi All!

I want to share a recipe with all of you. I made it tonight, and it is fantastic!! It is Black Bean Soup and I found it in the New York Times. One thing to be aware of, yes, you use dry beans (with no pre-soak), but they warn in the comments section that you need to make sure the water you use throughout cooking is filtered, because, hard water can cause the bean to stay hard and not cook through for hours. We have reverse osmosis water, and the recipe cooked up beautifully!

Also, when I added the salt & pepper, I added 1-2 tsp of Cumin, because I love cumin! :-)

Here is the recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018592-best-b...

I hope you enjoy it! You can make it veggie by using veggie stock, only. I did half and half (one box of Veggie Stock and one box of Chicken Stock).

Hope all are well. Enjoy the weekend!

-LoJo

• ewesm
    ewesm Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I was diagnosed in May. The BreastCancer.org Community Chat has been my go to place to get the through this time. I want to thank you all for sharing your stories. Sending you all love and support

https://www.rriveter.com/blogs/american-women/thin...

Thank you,

Stacy

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi all,

Diagnosed in July. Glad to see 2017 go..buh bye!!! I wish, hope and pray for us all to have a very, uneventful 2018. (Unless its all good stuff :) ) This community has been a mental lifesaver.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

I have an appointment with my MO Wednesday to talk about AIs. I don't think I am post menopausal yet but I know my MO really wants me on AI instead of Tamoxifen and I will have a hysterectomy early in 2018 so I will be post menopausal for sure then.

So my question to everyone here that is taking an AI, what brand were you prescribed? I get confused by all the different names I read about. Is there one I should ask MO for?? Letrozole? Femara? Arimidex? Anastrozole? Aromas? Exemestame? Teslac? Testolactone??

Thanks for sharing what you experienced!!

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2017
    Options

dodgersgirl, I was taking the generic for Arimidex, Anestrazol. They tried to shrink my tumor with the AI before surgery. I was having periods when I was diagnosed so I was given Lupron shots. Since chemo I hsve not had a period so they think I'm in menopause now and I will go back on Anestrazol after rads. My MO says he prefers it.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

OCDAMY-- thank you! Seems like such a big decision that I don't feel prepared for.

Feel like I prepared for chemo, surgery, and rads but not really read a lot about hormone therapy, yet.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2017
    Options

DodgersGirl - thank you to bring up his subject because that’s many of us are to face soon. I’m taking notes also, because that what I have to get ready for,

How’s everyone weekend? Hope all of you are working hard to finish your xmas shopping.

• Khunter
    Khunter Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

Diagnosed April 5, 2017 - triple negative invasive ductal breast cancer. I went through chemo until late September, double mastectomy on October 23, and beginning radiation on Monday. Looking forward to reconstruction and Being healthy in 2018!

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

khunter-- how many rad treatments will you get?

• Rhyfelwr
    Rhyfelwr Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2017
    Options

I shouldn't have gone out tonight. I wasn't feeling well today, anyway. There were too many lights, and too much noise, and too many people. I locked my keys in the car. And then while I was fumbling with the little magnetic spare key box from under the bumper (which was stuck shut), a man came by and said, "Excuse me, sir." That just kind of did it for me.

I am so tired of this. I just want to wake up and be myself again.

Thanks for listening.

• Sydsym
    Sydsym Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2017
    Options

Dodgersgirl, I haven’t started yet, (My onco doc says I don’t have to start til after the new year) but I will also be taking Anestrazol.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Sudsym-- thanks for the respo

• T-Sue
    T-Sue Member Posts: 207
    edited December 2017
    Options

Are you all having a party without me?!?

Great thread DodgersGirl, I'm a little late to the game, but I'll catch up. I was just thinking that I have graduated from several of the other boards but still need this community of supportive women! Look forward to hearing all of your plans for life after bc.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

T-Sue: glad you found us! I benefited soooo much from the chemo, surgery, and rads threads that I hoped we could all continue to help each other thru the phases after active treatments and we could share "life"!

• Treat4
    Treat4 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was also diagnosed in July of 2017 with Stage1 Grade1 non-invasive breast cancer in my right breast. On August 22nd I had a single mastectomy with the diep flap reconstruction. This past Tuesday was my revision surgery on the right breast and lift of the left breast. That surgery was a breeze compared to the mastectomy. I had several setbacks with my drains and infections but have been on the mend ever since. My question is about Tamoxifen. I had to change and regulate new anti-depressants before I could begin taking it. I plan to start it in early January. I’m very apprehensive about starting due to possible side effects. Can anyone share their experiences with this...good or bad?
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    edited December 2017
    Options

Treat4, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're sure some of our community members will be around shortly to offer some insight and advice.

In the mean time you may want to check out/post also in the Bottle 'o Tamoxifen thread, where you can learn a lot from members experiences with this medicine.

We hope this helps and we look forward to hearing more from you soon!

The Mods

• NicolaSue
    NicolaSue Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2017
    Options

Can't help with the specifics Treat but just want to send hugs.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited December 2017
    Options

Treat, I started tamoxifen in October. Like you I was apprehensive about side effects from the drug. I am happy (fortunate) to say that my side effects are very minimal. I had a sore throat my first couple weeks that I believe was from the tamoxifen. Otherwise, no real side effects. I know others have more side effects and I am fortunate to tolerate it well so far. You will find many who have negative experiences but until you try it you won't know now how to your body will react. I also think that more people will post on the boards if they are having issues or seeking advise on how to handle side effects. Those not having issues are less likely to post about it. Everybody is different. Good luck with your treatments.

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2017
    Options

Oh Rhyfelwr I'm sorry you had a bad night. My DH talked me into going to a holiday party last night and it was "ok." But I only lasted an hour before coming home to hang out quietly with my dog and go to bed early. It was indeed just too much.

I'm sure we will be back to our regular selves soon, but just not yet.

And to those researching hormone therapy options, I see my MO Monday and will share what I learn.

• TaRenee
    TaRenee Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2017
    Options

I had to get my driver license renewed in person this year because I didn’t realize it had expired. You know, during the whole surgery and recovery time. So I went in 2 1/2 weeks post MX and now have a lovely picture to remind me how much I enjoyed that time. I look so sick. But at least it’s legal again?! lo

• Annbee
    Annbee Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi! It is hard to respond to everyone directly but know that I read, learn and think about all of you.

Mimi, hang in with the polyps. It stinks. Sending hugs and positive thoughts.

I started Als right after radiation. I took Anestrazol (sorry about spelling) for about 2 weeks. I woke up one morning thinking that I would rather go trough chemo again than feel like this. I had the worst joint pain. It was hard to get up in the morning hang and move around. I was also cranky a lot. I didn’t feel like myself. I called my MO told her I quit and she said to not take it anymore (I had already stopped) and to come see her in 2 weeks. I have been on Letrozole for almost a month now and it is no big deal. Yes I still have my normal joint pains but I am myself. Now to just get rid of this cold. Ugh!
  • OCDAmy
    edited December 2017
    Options

the only issues I had on Anestrazol was hot flashes and night sweats but I was put into immediate menopause so that was to be expected. I am considering the PALLAS study after rads. Is anyone doing this study?

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

Annbee-- I am concerned about added joint pain from an AI as I have arthritis already and doesn't don't relish increased joint pain. So will keep the info that Letrozole helped you.

OCDAmy-- I didn't realize they could put you on an AI and trigger menopause.... thinking that is what I will go through, too. Hot flashes and night sweats were SE I had with chemo occasionally so feel equipped to cope and deal with those SE. Tgank

• OCDAmy
    edited December 2017
    Options

DodgersGirl, I was put into menopause with the combined Anestrazol and the Lupron shots. I was getting the shot every three months. I am 53 do menopause was coming soon. I think the chemo finished the job. I also have arthritis in my neck. Have you notice it get worse during or after chemo?

• Rhyfelwr
    Rhyfelwr Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2017
    Options

My soundtrack for this Sabbath:

The words are speaking my heart today.

• dodgersgirl
    edited December 2017
    Options

OCDAmy- during chemo my arthritis was nonexistent (which was much appreciated) due to the steroids.

After chemo and surgery, my arthritis was really bad once steroids were out of my system because my MO said I couldn't take Turmeric any longer as it is like estrogen to the body. I was miserable.

Started taking glucosamine , chondroitin, and Omega3 ... so arthritis is much better

Hoping AI doesn't make me feel crippled again in my joints