Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo January 2018

Options

Comments

• lynnzrose
    lynnzrose Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Roxy13, did they recommend Claritin as well for the bone/joint pain? My MO and the nurses at the center recommend for 5 days following the Nuelasta injection. I'm on Day 6 today, and finally woke up today without feeling like I have the flu. Still tired and nagging sort of headache, but am feeling much better right now, what a relief.

• Garifalia
    Garifalia Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had a little scare last night (day 6 round 1 TC).My lower back was very sore due to Neulasta. Took an Advil & Claritin and laid down on heating pad. I fell asleep and woke up hour later feeling hot. Took my temp and it was 100.7. I was told to call clinic day or night if temp reached 100.4. Fortunately I realized it must have been from the heating pad so I cooled off best as I could and re checked temp until it was below 99. Otherwise today I'm feeling very good and feel grateful for making it through my first week.

• Roxy13
    Roxy13 Member Posts: 116
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi, lynnzrose. I asked my MO about Claritin. He said he didn’t think it worked. I don’t know if the formula is different in Canada.

He did say that the aches last about a week, so glad to see you are out of the woods

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2018
    Options

Just picked up scripts Doc ordered pre-chemo for Zofran (every 8hrs) and Compazine (every 6hrs). How did you all take your anti-nausea drugs? Doc left no instructions and I'm curious if I take them at same time.

• Gigicommon
    Gigicommon Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018
    Options

Okkate - I really felt my anticipation of horror made my first chemo harder mentally than it actually proved to be physically. I'm trying to relax a little for the next infusion (1/17) but from what I've read every week can be different. I'm still going to try to avoid the anxiety I felt last week as much as possible. .

• Amelia01
    Amelia01 Member Posts: 178
    edited January 2018
    Options

I'll post some good news too! After the horrendous days 1 through half of 3 I feel fine. Nothing to report whatsoever. I am not tired, no mouth sores, all food tastes fine (having cravings for sweet, but trying my best to curtail that) and if the rest of the chemos are like this, well then, I can do it. Mind you, I was not given Neulasta.

In fact, I'm feeling so good that I'm going to Mexico next month (trip planned right at dx when I was first told no chemo). My holistic MO urges me to go believing it will be a great way to unwind, get vitamin D and she has no concerns about any food or water borne illnesses if I take common sense precautions. I honestly haven't purchased the flights yet (waiting to make sure that day 5 after next round I'm still as good as I was day 5 of first one). For me it is an intercontinental trip which is an added deal, but I'm old hat at flights. I just have to remember to wear a compression sleeve as everyone who has (all?) nodes out needs to do always with airline travel -- for the rest of her life. A woman on another thread after 23 years just lymphedema on an overseas trip!

I suggest everyone to read this very important article. https://hms.harvard.edu/news/double-edged-sword?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hms-facebook-general It seems as though the jury is no longer out on the potentially deleterious effects of chemo. If this is true as a blanket statement then no adjuvant therapies should ever be done after surgery. What is essential, however, is to protect the body and help it create the resolvins which can mitigate the effects. Any google search will show which foods help the body get the necessary fuel to do this and add aspirin to the mix. Talk to your doctors but it seems that low dose baby aspirin could be sufficient. I have no intentions of having this crap return or metastasize elsewhere so any precautions I can take are on for me, especially the more natural ones (foods and supplements).

We can do this! But we have to take additional measures that most MOs will not suggest, discuss, or perhaps even be up to date on ...

Be your first advocate, because if you aren't, no one else will be.

xx

• erob321
    erob321 Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2018
    Options

Got my port placed this morning. It’s hurting some, but it’s not too bad. Chemo starts tomorrow! I keep going between “I got this!” and uncontrollable crying/ irritability/ sadness. Hoping for the best tomorrow! Good luck to those of us starting chemo soon and those a few days out dealing with symptoms!!

• Roxy13
    edited January 2018
    Options

Good luck tomorrow, @erob321! Of course you got this!

I have my first TC tomorrow as well. I'm in pretty good spirits. The beef bone broth is in the Instapot, podcasts lined up for during the infusion, etc. I went to one of those Look Good Feel Better workshops at my hospital, which cheered me up considerably. The freebies are nice, but what I really found useful was the part on wigs, scarves and hats. They show you what to wear and how. They also showed us these "face framers" that I thought were a great idea: it's like a half wig (hair only comes out to the sides) and you can wear a beanie or scarf on top and you don't get that chemo face as much. There was a lady in my class who was wearing a wig that looked so natural I was convinced it was her real hair. This put me in a better mood. Honestly, I think if we didn't lose our hair we wouldn't be dreading chemo so much.

It was also useful to get some perspective. I was the only one with breast cancer in that workshop and compared to other cancers, from what I heard from chatting to the women, bc is not so bad.

Anyway. I keep looking for positive aspects to cope. Like the fact that I will have at least two hours of me time tomorrow. Pathetic, I know, but as a busy working mom with two kids, husband and dog, I hardly ever get these breaks.

In good health!

• CloudNine
    CloudNine Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello ladies. I have stage 3A cancer/5cm tumor with nodes involved. Had breast MRI yesterday and scheduled for Pet and brain scans yet. Oncologist recommending A/C chemo 4-5 months before surgery. Question I have - anyone here able to still work a full time job while on chemo? My health insurance depends on it and afraid of financial burden if I can't work. Thanks. Praying for you all. Be strong, Jesus strong

• lynnzrose
    lynnzrose Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018
    Options

@CloudNine I'm only one chemo treatment in, so I'm sure there are others with more feedback for you regarding your full time job. One little tidbit for you I heard from the nurses at the infusion center, they said Thursdays are their busiest days there; timing-wise it allows for a person's worst days to fall over the weekend, so people could potentially return to work on Mondays. I wonder if you have a sympathetic boss, and/or good HR department that could guide you, as you will definitely need some time off. My very best wishes to you.

Is ANYONE else having trouble sleeping? I am one full week post first TC treatment, and having the worst time sleeping. I'm off all meds (other than Motrin) right now, and most of the Nuelasta pain has subsided. I am so tired but true, deep and restful sleep is eluding me. Any tips?

• Lucyred
    Lucyred Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had my port places on the 9th and felt terrible all day but feeling better each day after that. Just some minor soreness now.

I am on the AC-T plan. The AC starts Monday the 15th, one treatment every two week for a total of 4 treatments. Then it will be 12 weekly treatments of Taxol.

I've switch my seasonal allergy med to the regular claritin to help with the join/muscle aches. Have to pick up a new tooth brush, some biotene and the miralax this weekend to be ready.

I am just ready to get this started, the sooner I start the sooner it will be over with. It's going to be a long year.

• okkate75
    okkate75 Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2018
    Options

@CloudNine I plan to keep working full time, and I know many women, including family members, who have kept working. I expect to have to take some sick days here and there, but I think I can keep working.

@lynnzrose I keep waking up at 3-4 in the morning and can't get back to sleep. Not my favorite! My strategy is to read and not panic if I can't sleep. This too shall pass, I hope.

Here's my update: It has been a week since my first chemotherapy infusion, and dang, it's been a roller coaster. Here are a few of my side effects: terrible taste in my mouth, jumping out of my skin from steroids, back and bone pain that felt like I'd been beaten with a baseball bat, tears (the crying kind, not the cutting kind) on the edge of my skin, fatigue, indigestion, headache, diarrhea, and an itchy rash. Oh, and the inside of my mouth feels like a sunburn. It seems like there's something new every morning. And all of it has been surprisingly tolerable.

Other things that have happened this week include teaching a three hour class, grading, a dance class, two ten minute bike rides, a three mile walk, a four mile walk, lunch with friends, acupuncture, three fancy lattes, a day at the office, some grading, read bunch of chapters in a book about cancer, and went to a movie--on a school night. There were parts of the week that felt like any other week, and that was a huge relief. I guess I was afraid every moment would be seized by cellular death, but it turns out that the full range of human emotion is still my life's terrain, even if the shitty embodied part is taking up more space than usual.

The most important thing I learned this week is that even though I can't predict what things will feel like--and I'm under no illusion that it will always feel like it does now--I can get through it. I can tolerate difficult feelings. I knew that, but I know it a little better now, and that feels good.

• paisley2916
    paisley2916 Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello everyone! I'm joining your January Chemo Club. I'll be getting my port put in on Monday (tomorrow) and starting chemo the next day (January 16th). I'm pretty nervous about all of this. I'm worried it's going to hurt accessing the port the day after its put in. Also I'm worried about that first infusion - I don't know what to expect. Do you feel symptoms while they are giving you the drugs? Do you feel the drugs going in? I read something about them "flushing" the port when they first go to use it - what's that and what does that feel like? How was it for you when they access and de-access the port? I'm getting 4 AC over 8 weeks and then 12 weekly Taxol. I'm doing chemo before surgery. Any insight wuld be so helpful. Feeling pretty nervous

• Amelia01
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Paisley,

I hate having to welcome anyone to this club but thanks for reaching out- I find people’s experiences to be very helpful and at times reassuring. How would we have done this pre-www?

My port was put in weeks before the first infusion just because of the Xmas holidays and dr vacations. It still bothers me today with certain movements or if anything touches it (crossbody bag strap). I’m probably an exception with lingering pain/ discomfort.

The actual infusion was no big deal whatsoever. Ok, I took some Xanax before they accessed the port due to my fear of pain since it’s so sensitive but I felt nothing put a little prick of the needle and didn’t fire the drugs enter my system. I had two kinds E (like A) and then followed by the C. Totally infusion time was at best an hour. The flushing afterwards was no big deal. It really didn’t phase me.

You are doing infusions every 2 weeks? Did your doctor explain any differences between 2 or 3 weeks? Mine are every 3 but I’m seeing many others who are doing only 2.

To be honest, I’d rather get it over quicker! I was totally back to my usual self after 5’days.

I’d suggest you do some stocking up on Epsom salts to do detox baths in order to help your body flush it out quickly.

Let us know how it goes. I’ll be sending positive vibes your way

• erob321
    erob321 Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2018
    Options

hi paisley, if you are having your port placed the day before chemo, have them keep it accessed when it’s placed. That’s what my dr did and I didn’t have to get poked again to gain access to it. It’s bulky and needs to be covered with bandages, but it’s just one night, so I was ok with that. As for feeling anything, you may feel a cool feeling through your veins near your port when the nurse pushes through premeds, but the chemo goes pretty slow so it shouldn’t hurt. If it does, tell your nurse!

As for me, I’m day 3 post chemo, feeling tired and have a headache, but I’m about to eat some breakfast so hopefully I start to feel better. I was able to get through the cold caps! It wasn’t pleasant, but I did it! Only 3 more to go!

• DxAt37
    DxAt37 Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2018
    Options

hello, I am joining the Jan club-I am starting on the 25th. 4x AC ans 4 x Taxol, dose dense. I am thinking I should be done by mid May-if there are no complications. I am still waiting on my port (I am having it in my forearm-as my onco said it it less disfiguring) and my cardiologist... I am nervous but a little excited (trying to convince myself it is yet another adventure in life). I alrady cut my hair short so the kids can get used to... my two year old keeps calling me daddy and we have a good laugh about it.

I hope our chemo will go by fadt and uneventful.

Good luck

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited January 2018
    Options

CloudNine, AC chemo is a pretty strong chemo, the first two rounds you might able to work on the second weeks however this chemo attacks your white blood count, so you might not want to go into crowds when your wbc is low. On the third and fourth infusion, your body is pretty weak it will be hard to work for the first week after infusion. That's my experience, everyone SE is different, maybe you have minimal SE.

• Roxy13
    edited January 2018
    Options

Day 3 after my first TC. I had some mild nausea yesterday and the day before, so took my nausea meds to nip it in the bud. My tonsils feel swollen and my jaws hurt and I got up aching all over, but manageable with Tylenol. I went to yoga on Saturday and Sunday and I'm off to an exercise class that I really don't feel like doing. Am hoping it will help somewhat. We'll see what the week has in store.

Take care, everyone!

• Amelia01
    edited January 2018
    Options

Heads up to all-

I woke up with a raging headache in the middle of the night and a temperature of 101. I’ve been feeling great until now so was leading a normal life. Unfortunately somewhere along the line I must have picked up a bug. It is cold and flu season but I’ve had the flu once in the past 20 years! Guess my immune system is at a low

I can’t figure out where the infection is lurking. I don’t have any chest or head issues (headache aside) and don’t have any signs of a uti.

Just a word of caution - don’t overdo it!

Luckily I had someone come to my home to take blood so I didn’t have to subject myself to any germs outside the house. Now to await the results.

Is anyone getting blood monitoring between txs? I wasn’t scheduled for any mid cycle controls and they did not give me Neulasta. I was only advised to take an antibiotic if any sign of fever.

• Roxy13
    edited January 2018
    Options

Take care of yourself, Amelia. Hope you get better soon!

• Amelia01
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks Roxy, I'm actually quite concerned. The clinic just called to say the wbc is 0.8 (not sure if we use the same measurements here as in the US), but extremely low. The oncologist just shrugged it off stating its normal up through day 15 and to take antibiotics and stay home.

My husband is ranting at me stating is my fault because I've been going outside and doing normal things.

I will not sit in the house under a glass bell for the next 6 months. That's obnoxious. I was told to live life as normal as possible. I'm a germaphobe but I have a 9 year old boy (goodness knows what he tracks in) and my husband's phone and iPad are probably harboring more bacteria than a public toilet seat on an overnight train. I keep begging him to disinfect them!

And I get blamed....... humpf!

• Roxy13
    edited January 2018
    Options

I also try to go about my life as I normally would - take the kids to school, go grocery shopping, etc. I was just telling my husband I don't want to be sick mom lying in bed isolated from everybody. I guess I'm worried about missing out on my family's life. So I totally understand how you feel, Amelia. Like you said, don't overdo it. Easier said than done, obviously.

I bought some hand sanitizers and make the kids use them.

Take care of yourself!

• ventureval
    ventureval Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Everyone and Happy New Yew to 2018

I just had my 4th, chemo round I have 4 more to go. I get my chemo done on a Thursday which hits me pretty hard Friday Saturday and Sunday. Mondays I start to feel a little better and I am back to work. Today I have the swelling and blisters on my hands. In fact it is hard to type this as it hurts. I have called my chemo dr for something to help with the pain. I am using ice in the meantime here at work. Next go around with me on my chemo scares me as I stop the 2 types of chemo I am currently on (I forget the names) and I will start a much stronger chemo as I am Stage 2 triple negative. They say this chemo can be very damaging to the heart. They scanned my heart really good first. I am 60 years old and this really scares me. I guess I just don't like the idea of my heart being messed with. I know I can handle it I will be strong. I will be for my family. I will handle it one day at a time.

To those of you that are just starting. It can be rough, but we can handle it. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that we can do it. Even when we feel like we can't. Because we can. Good Luck to everyone and here is hoping 2018 will be a better year for all of us. Cheers.

• Motherofall6
    Motherofall6 Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2018
    Options

tomorrow is chemo #2 a/c , I really hope this one goes the same as th first did. Today I went in for blood work and to have my port flushed, she had to use extra saline to flush as it had a little tag which I think is a tiny clot on the tip, but it did flush and she did get the blood drawn from my port ok.

• murfy
    edited January 2018
    Options

Greetings fellow survivors! Had my first C+T treatment today. Took about 4.5 hrs. Will continue taking steroids and Zofran at home for several days. Scheduled for Neulasta shots next week, if needed.

Feeling much better than anticipated! Right now my stomach is asking for mac n cheese so I'm off to make some.

Be well lady friends!

• Amelia01
    edited January 2018
    Options

lmurphy- definitely get your blood counts done.

My clinic doesn’t “believe” in Neulasta” until my husband needed to get me an emergency rx and find it at a pharmacy at midnight.

I’ve just won a hospital stay with IV antibiotics! Hoping to be able to decline the offer and get a stronger antibiotic. So everyone praises nationalized health systems abroad? Well, anyone see how decrepit and filthy those hospitals are? My clinic is new and private but can’t host me. I have more of a chance of raging infection in a public hospital than from licking the handrail of the subway. On a good note, for those who haven’t private insurance everything is covered ( by taxpayers - it isn’t “free”). So there’s that...

Wish me luck!

Off to download something on Netflix.

I’m enraged at the very least!

• murfy
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Amelia01, I'm so sorry for the hassle you're going through. I DO wish you luck! And, thank you for your advice. How are you doing now?

I had a tough first night after first chemo, but nothing like yours. There is a learning curve to understanding our individual responses to and needs after chemo. I can no longer believe the 'take a pill every 8 hrs'. After 4 hrs of taking Zofran, I was sick. So, alternating Zofran and Compazine every 4hrs works for me. Also helps me sleep! Also need something on my stomach and keep graham crackers and pickled ginger nearby.

I couldn't pee out the copious quantities of water I was drinking and read that the Taxotere I was given can cause me to retain the water. After drug started to wear off at 0230 ( and thanks to the steroids) I peed like a race horse! Glad to have that poison out.

I've quarantined myself at home and hopefully won't get sick before my Neupogen shots 3 days in a row starting on Monday.

Take care All. Please let us know how you are doing.

Laura

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi my fellow bc sisters So today I got my power port.Am back home now thank goodness No place like home for sure... Wasn’t too bad.. I’m having minimal pain and moderate discomfort. Overall not too bad... Hope everyone is staying warm and having positive thoughts

• Roxy13
    edited January 2018
    Options

Well, I had an amazing day today. Lots of energy, the aches weren't too bad, nausea gone, only to find out that I was slightly feverish. Which probably explained it. Fever not high enough to go to the hospital like they told me, but temperature was higher than normal. Ugh. I find this scary.

And doesn't it look to you that everyone around you has the sniffles? It does to me, but what can you do. It's not the rest that should isolate themselves, I do.

Take care everyone!

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2018
    Options

Got my port placed today.. Not too pain minimal pain moderate discomfort.. Given take home pain meds if needed.At home now resting and eating Hope everyone is as well as can be expected 😘😘😘