Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting chemo February 2018

Options

Comments

• ButterflyLily
    ButterflyLily Member Posts: 101
    Options

Ladies thank you for the well wishes! I actually read them right before my infusion so that helped! ;)

Just got home from round one of AC. No side effects yet. Just tired but was tired when I woke up. They put a neulasta device on me which will automatically inject the anti nausea med tomorrow night.

Colleen, the neulasta will be summoning up your bone marrow to produce white blood cells. This may cause some discomfort. I don't mean to alarm, that's what the doc told me. She said to take claritin tomorrow morning, would have been better taken before the infusion. For some reason seems to help. Anyway, have a pain killer on the side in the event you feel bone discomfort from the neulasta. Remember, that and the AC are our friends!

Thinking of you ❤

• rockcity
    rockcity Member Posts: 155
    Options

Anyone else glad it's the weekend?! I'm ready to cuddle up on the couch and watch the Olympics under my electric blanket. Major snowstorm here and I'm not quite up for building a snowman today. Day four since chemo and I'm mostly tired and achy. Not unmanageable. I hear ya about the nausea Colleen. That is a difficult SE to deal with. So far my nausea was during chemo day only. I think those coldcaps were trying to kill me. It must have been ugly. They are planning to give me a lot more privacy at the infusion center next time. I guess I’m bad for business😄

CBOK and Indahood- glad that a week out you guys are doing well. Gives up lots of hope.

Well deserved rest for this past week’s chemo girls. Time to recover.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Hi everyone, just joining in.

Met my MO today. We had a surprise with my Oncotype results coming back showing I'm actually triple negative (& a crazy high recurrence score to boot but apparently nobody knows how to interpret that score because it's not really validated yet for ER neg?)

I will start dose dense AC+T on Feb 15

• rockcity
    rockcity Member Posts: 155
    Options

Hi Moth,

Welcome to the Feb group. Sorry you are here, but we have a pretty awesome group of ladies that are ready to support you and listen.

• Debsmisto
    Debsmisto Member Posts: 106
    Options

Colleen, you and I got our neulasta at about the same time so we can track each other's se's. Hope things are going OK n for the rest of you. I should mention of i didn't that I live in Columbus Ohio and am being treated and the Stephanie Spielman Center and so far they have been fantastic, nurses called me twice today to check on me! Hope your caretakers are good to you too, it helps.

• Debsmisto
    Options

CBOK, just read about your day 3 hoping you're feeling better by now this is not a trip any of us wanted to be on that's for sure hope your treatment goes smoother from here out

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    Options

First round down... went smooth but long all day.. fatigued and kinda foggy headed but ok. Was wondering if any one else has been told that the regime of chemo I’m on only thins your hair not total loss??? Everyone told me I would loose my hair but this young nurse told me she didn’t think so with my kinda chemo just will thin... now I’m curious but won’t hold out hope. Any thought would be welcome

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    Options

my anxiety is high mainly bc of this thing they attached to me the shot will automatically go off at 8 tomorrow nigh 😳 what if it moves somehow and injects me in the wrong spot?? Will it hurt? WhT about taking out out after is the gonna hurt ? Will I bleed? Idk remember if they told me or why I didn’t ask 🤦♀️ Now I just have questions which I know I. Over reacting but the way my anxiety’s set up

• AMBurt
    AMBurt Member Posts: 72
    Options

HELLO moth and welcome I will be doing the same treatment plan as you. My start date is the 14th so one day earlier. Do you know about eating popsicles or ice chips to combat mouth sores? Also icing you hands and feet during the taxol part to help combat neuropathy? You will find support and so much useful info her we got this!

• AMBurt
    Options

Worriedme does your chem center have a 24 on call nurse that you could call to answer your questions? although I am sure another feb sister who had the pod will answer as soon as they see your question. Just in case it may be a bit if you have on call nurse that may be take care of your fears faster.

• indahood
    indahood Member Posts: 122
    Options

Hi girls welcome to the newcomers.

Well I snowboarded yesterday which was awesome but today I'm paying the price. Very weak and now running a low grade fever. I'm worried, I don't want to go to emergency but if the fever hits 100.9 I have to go to ER as it's probably a sign of infection. I'm currently at 100. 22. argh. Totally like me to take risks like that. Well live and learn. After the difficult fatigue and achiness, I was so keen to get out and be normal. Plus over 50 cm had fallen...oh sorry so canadian of me, 20 inches of Rockie Mountain powder, I just couldn't resist.

So... as I'm the first to have had chemo in this group, take my precaution and remain calm and rest even when you feel super.

Laurie Indahood

• indahood
    indahood Member Posts: 122
    Options

Hi worried me, hairloss? pretty sure it's 100% going to happen with Docetaxal. Or that's what I was told. I'll be mad if they were wrong since I shaved my head in preparation.

• Debsmisto
    Options

Indiahood, I was told a fever over 100.4 go to the ER, hope yours goes down soon, guess we gotta keep activities low key, I did go shopping today since I was only day 2 knowing I possibly won't feel like going anywhere soon, what a ride this all is huh guys?

• Debsmisto
    Options

worried me if it's the neulasta Pod that they tape to you it stuck you when they put it on and I just took mine off tonight it did not hurt taking it off no big deal so if it's that the worst is over. And your chemo regimen looks like mine I was told total hair loss so if I was you instead of Shaving it I would just get it cut an inch or two long in case you keep some you could have fringe under a hat or scarf

• Pbello
    Pbello Member Posts: 83
    Options

imurphy - thanks!! :) I think I mentioned before, but if I didn’t here goes: I’m very happy that you are now happy with your new treatment. I think half the battle is in our head. If you think you have the right treatment, you will have a more positive outlook about all this. And a positive outlook goes a long way!! :)

• moth
    Options

thx for the welcome everyone! I'm reading the thread from the beginning (as well as some threads from previous months to glean more info).
    My chemo class isn't till the 14th (the day before I start) so I'm going to get as many tips as possible from you guys.

AMBurt - the ice chips or popsicles for AC - do you do that during the infusion or just when you get home?

The MO did mention that they provide ice gloves during Taxol. I think if I want ice socks I have to get those myself.

• Pbello
    Pbello Member Posts: 83
    Options

congrats to all Feb ladies who have completed their first treatment! I hope you are all doing well!

I’ll be joining you all on Monday when I have my first treatment. Im so worried about side effects! I have a 5 year old and a 21 month old - I need to try to look half way decent for them. Can’t have them freaking out about me.

Moth - we definitely have pretty similar situations (high Oncotype; low ER pathology) as I mentioned in the high Oncotype chat group. How many treatments will you be doing? I’m doing DD 4 AC + 4 Taxol.

Hope you all have a great weekend

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    Options

Thanks for the welcomes :) Indahood, I hope you don’t have to go to the ER and hope you’re feeling better! My husband is from Canada and I love our visits there.

I was wondering about icing hands and feet. Reading through this is helping to calm me and feel more prepared.

• moth
    Options

Pbello , I'm the same as you, DD 4 AC + 4 Taxol. I hope you'll have help with your kids! My kids are both in college & living with us. I don't have to worry about looking after them, they will look after me...

indahood - Laurie, I hope you feel better soon & get that fever down! I did lol at your snowboarding story. I started snowboarding a few years ago but I'm really bad at it LOL & this year we didn't get a pass. I was thinking of going snowshoeing though; I guess I'll have to see how I feel later.

• AMBurt
    Options

Hi again moth you use the frozen things while doing the infusion of AC another tip I found is if you eat a bit of cottage cheese every day it will help prevent and heal sore if you have them. As these are very inexpensive tips I plan on trying the cottage cheese as well. They said all you need is a couple of bites making sure you let it make contact with most of your mouth surfaces. Simple enough.

• Aanoliver
    Aanoliver Member Posts: 42
    Options

hi all, joining new

My regimen is 3 cycle of fac + 3 cycle of docetaxel.

My doctor told me i need to start Herceptin either with 3 cycle of docetaxel or start it after all the cycles.

So since yesterday was my first FAC .. am so tired nauseated and was vomiting from last night till today morning.. but now with the meds i dint vomit today .. but the altered taste and loss appetite is worst.. only this i feel comfortable eating is yogurt..is to ok to eat yogurt ?

Wishing you guys all a safe treatment ..

• lhebs
    lhebs Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I started my first AC on 2/7. All went well and aside from some fatigue and mild nausea. I have been able to work through it as well but am enjoying the relaxing weekend time today for sure.  I opted to do the cold capping because my MO is every optimistic about it. I am not sure if it was a good or bad choice but it takes my mind off the chemo so I guess that is good. I did well during treatment but when I got home I still had to cap for 3 hours. The final hour I started to get nauseated and took a med and was wiped out the rest of the night. Not sure if it was from the chemo or freezing for 6 hrs!!!! I was slightly nauseated the next am but took the nausea med and was fine.

I got my neulasta shot on Thursday and have been taking the claritan in am with no issues or real pain. My MO also prescribed dexamethasone to take twice a day for 3 days after chemo so that helps.  Aside from some fatigue I am doing well but I have not been pushing myself too much. I hope everyone continues to do well. 1 down 7 to go!!!!! 

• ButterflyLily
    Options

Hi all, checking in on status day after round 1 of AC! (I'm doing 4xAC + 4x Taxol)

Last night after the infusion i felt fine, just tired. Slept fine except for having to use bathroom more often as I drink more water. Also had to be careful with the Neulasta pod which will inject the med tonight at 7pm. I took Claritin last night as my MO said it may help with possible bone pain from the Neulasta.

This morning when i woke up felt pretty normal - maybe mild headache? I just felt a hint of nausea but still not sure if it's just in my head. Took a Zophran just in case. Also, took Claritin again. Took pooch to the park for an hour walk and felt fine.

Colleen, how are you feeling? You had the Neulasta last night right?

Hugsto all! Thinking of you Happy

• moth
    Options

I had to go google what your neulasta pods look like. I will be self injecting; I think it's once a day for 7 days in between the AC infusions.

• Debsmisto
    Options

hi all hope you are all well today. I just had the worst experience at Giant Eagle went in to get a couple things it's raining here figured that would get me up and moving had my first bout of diarrhea at giant eagle went into the restroom to do my thing and realize once I was in there some lady two stalls down was puking her guts out so now I got to pray the poor thing didn't have something contagious cuz you know how run-down we all are what a nightmare got out of there as quick as I could though say a pray for me I don't get sicker starting my Imodium regimen man we take a lot of drugs to fight the side effects let alone the drugs we take with chemo treatment yikes. Anyway hope you're all having a better weekend than I am haha

• ColleenS80
    ColleenS80 Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi friends,

So sorry I didn’t see the neulasta question in time! Everything went fine last night, it did not hurt to take off, but beware as there is a little needle sticking out when you take it out. My center mailed me a sharps container to keep them in.

Last night felt ok but felt SUPER weird this morning. Someone mentioned feeing “out of body” awhile back and I agree with that. Very discombobulated. I managed to fall back asleep and now I feel 100% better after my nap. Anyone having trouble sleeping at night? I wake up and can’t stop my brain churning over everything that’s happening.

One thing I’ve noticed is I’m already growing a little mouth sore in the very back of my mouth. :( Thanks for the cottage cheese tip, we have some so I’m going to eat some now! The center also told me to call if I developed any and they could send me in a mouthwash perscription.

Indahood so sorry you are feeling bad! It’s hard to make ourselves stay put. Debsmisto hope you feel better soon, what a yucky experience for you!

Ladies, if anyone asks me something specific and I don’t answer, please feel free to repeat! I sometimes lose track of what’s been said and don’t want to ignore anyone.

One more thing, pleasebe with me in spirit and prayer for Tuesday. I’m having a pet scan to check for metastasis. That is the most terrifying part of this whole thing. I just can’t imagine my survival chances going down so very low. Not with my littles. They still need me so!! Not trying to be depressing just worried about that more than anything.

Hope everyone is doing ok this afternoon.

• AMBurt
    Options

Welcome LHebs, so glad you side effects have been mild and thank you for sharing. Those of us that are still waiting take so much hope from those who are ahead of us.

Aanoliver, Welcome as well sorry you are having some eating issues. My Mo told me when I start eat whatever you can the eating is more important than the what. Yogurt I am pretty sure is one of the better things.

Yes Colleen please let us know when you can how you are doing or did this weekend. With little ones I bet you opt to enjoy the weekend with them as much as possible and that is so good for your health in all aspects to just so up that kiddo love.

Moth I will be getting the pod, I have a needle phobia not as bad as some but enough I don't think I could give myself a shot. Those like your self who can are so brave.

Butterfly may your side effects continue to be mild.

Everyone else who has started already hope you have a SE free quite relaxing weekend.

I am feeling a bit sore this morning after the port installation but don't want to be spaced out so am taking tylenol and forgoing the pain meds for now if it gets worse I will take a pain med but so far today am doing fine.

• ButterflyLily
    Options

Colleen, happy to hear the Neulasta wasn't so bad today! For the mouthsores, i read on some of the posts using Biotene products. I got the mouthwash from the drug store. I use it twice daily. Guess we'll find out if is helped. Keeping my fingers crossed for the PET scan on Tuesday!

AMBurt - thank you! So far so good. Just barely there nausea.

Hugs

• Lolotte19
    Lolotte19 Member Posts: 122
    Options

Welcome to the new ladies. Just to say Hi! Hope everyone who has already undergone their first chemo are feeling well or not too bad...

If my calculations are correct, I should start my first cycle March 1st! Oh noShockedtechnically I am not anymore a Feb chemo victim! I still want to chat with you ladies...

Laurie i am hoping that your fun day in the snow won't cost you too much. I cross my fingers so you can vanquish your fever

Colleen, I will have you in my thoughts on Tuesday. I have my scans the week after and strangely enough I am not afraid of them because I don't think I have metastasis.

Cheers to all and have a good weekend!

• Debsmisto
    Options

Have we heard back from IndiHood worried about her if she had to go to the ER or not. So my story earlier about giant eagle are you guys just not going out in public at all am I being ridiculous thinking I can't go out or was I being ridiculous going out in public argh you just don't know what to do. How have you all sorted through it?