Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Thank you DebAl!!! That is good news!! :)

GaWarrier went to my dentist today. He gave me good news. Told me my teeth look good and my gums are good. He has decided to do a fluoride flush every 3 months as long as I am on zometa. He feels that will protect my gums and teeth from any future problems as long as I continue to brush and floss like I do. How is taxol treating you? Hopefully minimal side-effects.

InnaB2016. Haven't seen you out on the board for a while. How are those chocolate-covered blueberries treating you. ;) You should be starting taxol by now right?

Frog haven't heard much from you either. Hope you're doing well.

If I've missed anyone. Sorry. Hope all of you are doing well with minimal side effects. Those of you who are done with chemo hope you are starting to feel better each day.

• life1963

So I'm just curious if any of you have gone through your cupboards to look to see what you have in there that has soy in it. After picking up my prescription my pharmacist did recommend that I try and cut out as much soy as I can. I was shocked to see how much food I pulled out of my cupboard and put in a box to give away that had soy in it. I will have to admit I have kept some of the things because I don't eat them everyday and I figured it won't hurt me once in awhile. Then I went shopping to try and refill my cupboards with anti soy food. Wow that was a project and a half!

Is anyone else out there going to purge their cupboards of soy? Have you been told not to eat it?

• erincoop
    erincoop Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone --

Been a while since I posted anything. I started chemo end of April, shaved my head around day 14 when it started clumping out. I had my 5th chemo treatment today, with my last one being August 7th in 3 weeks. Finally seeing the end of the tunnel. Chemo (taxotere, carboplatin, herception, projetta) has been REALLY hard on me. I've had horrible diarrhea, they ended up taking me off projetta thinking that was causing it, but I still got it. I think its the taxotere. I also had a really bad IV chemo burn that left a huge scar on my arm. Anyone else get this? I have a 3 month old baby, (got diagnosed when I was 8 months pregnant) so the new baby aspect has been the hardest part for me. On days I feel sick, I don't feel like doing anything for her and that guilt messes with my head. I started seeing a therapist just to get out my guilt and frustration of not being the energetic mom I was hoping I would be. Our daughter was originally pretty colicky (fml) but we realized she was allergic to formula and since we changed it she's been better, thank goodness! The no hair thing was harder originally. I hate my wig, even though it was expensive and real hair and looks decent, I HATE wearing it. I walk around and think WIG WIG WIG. Lately I've been more comfortable going to places I know I won't run into someone just wearing the chemo head scarfs and wraps. I've succumbed to the fact that I have no hair and people that know what I'm going through already know I don't have hair so wearing a wig makes it more awkward for me. My biggest complaint is the 4x daily diarrhea for first two weeks, and feeling SO exhausted and weak, like can't wash a dish or stand up longer than 2 min kind of exhausted. Also the bone/joint pain when I try to sleep has been really uncomfortable. I used to take norco but realized that was making me throw up and so it's been hard to find a balance of pain meds that don't make me feel more nauseous. Overall I'm looking forward to my last treatment and scheduling reconstruction! Being 25 and not being able to wear 3/4ths of my clothes because of mastectomy has been super annoying. I just haven't felt myself in general and I'm hoping getting new boobs, or ANYTHING for that matter, will help me feel like a woman. Nothing sucks more than being striped of your feminine body parts (eyelashes, eyebrows, boobs, hair, ability to control BM's lol).

Anyone have any tips, recommendations for exhaustion? I'm starting IV fluids twice a week to help with dehydration and overall lack of appetite making me feel weaker.

Erin

• FDwithfurkids
    FDwithfurkids Member Posts: 24

Hi everyone. I’ve been keeping up with reading but not posting much.

Life- I actually did the soy purge about 5 years ago (way before Dx) when I had to have my second surgery to remove benign uterine fibroids. My RE was the doc to inform me how soy has phytoestrogens that can mess up my hormones and lead to fibroids. Before that I thought my soy diet was ‘healthy’. Guess not. I also have to removed it completely but I am aware of soy product in my food now.

I just had tx #5 today. I’m not sure if August 7th will be my last as the bone mets has left the next steps unknown. I will have my follow up pet scan on Monday. MO is excited to see significant improvement. I’m still a bit skeptical but I do feel better overall (even with the SE’s)than before tx started.

I’ll let y’all know what I find out. I think of you all often. Hope you’re all doing ok and getting better every day.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Taxol 8 day 3

Hello everyone, how are we doing this week. I have tried to keep myself occupied with my kid through her school holidays. Sore nail beds and no taste/ dry mouth is what is bothering me most and ofcourse the random aches and pains. I am bored of tracking my lashes and eyebrows going MIA.

I meet my BS on 25th to discuss surgery options.

Life and Duffyzmom, do let us know how the process is with taking out the port.

Dee, that is really good to know that you are feeling better.

GA Warrior and Urdrago, all the best for your Taxols on wed and thursday.

Engine, I hope you wife is doing better and there was no more complications with the drain.

InnaB and Ingerp, hope you guys are doing fine.

Erin, hugs to you, 1 more treatment left. Wishing you mild SEs. It cannot be easy going through this with a lil baby. Hang in there, you are almost there.

FDwithfurkids, all the bestfor your scan on monday.

Hugs

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

(((erincoop))) All I can recommend for the fatigue is to listen to your body and try to get off your feet. This is not a power-through-it-and-you'll-feel-better time. I really believe you have to physically rest your body to get over the fatigue. Even 20-30 minutes can help you feel better.

Frog--thanks for checking in. I'm <finally> dealing with a little neuropathy but also counting down the days until my last tx (16!). These are long, slow, relatively empty summer days. . .

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

ErinCoop- I'm sure the post pregnancy issues are making this entire process more difficult for you. We are on the same schedule although I'm only doing TCH I didn't qualify for the P due to tumor size. Are you taking any longterm Prilosec OTC? I really think that has helped me the most with the diarrhea. I still have a few days following the initial constipation but nothing a single dose of Immodium can't handle. Sorry to hear you didn't get a port. I'm a huge lover of mine even after the blood clot.

LIFE - All I remember from my previous port removal is that it was much easier than the insertion but strange tugging sensations as they pulled the leads out. A little swelling that was controlled with small ice pack.

FDwithfurkids - Light and love for good news from your PET scan.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Hi, guys. Had a hectic weekend and difficult Monday and Tuesday. Nausea is under control, but I can definitely feel fatigue building up, plus hand and foot syndrome is getting worse. Today is much better, since it’s day 6 after my last AC. Had a second opinion appointment with a radiation oncologist yesterday, who didn’t tell me anything different then the first one. Basically, it’s up to me whether to do radiation or not. The first one seems to lean toward ‘yay’, the second one toward ‘nei’. It’s very annoying. Came home exhausted and slept for 4 hours. I think I’ll end up doing it for the additional protection from local recurrence. Any of you ladies are going to do radiation with TE? If yes, are you doing exchange before or after the rads?

ErinCoop, my heart goes out to you. A newborn and chemo at the same time must be extremely challenging. Stay strong, this, too shall pass.

Ingerp, were you icing during the treatments? How are you dealing with neuropathy? My first Taxol is next week, need to be prepared.

Life, congrats on taking the port out!

Frog, Urdrago, good luck on your surgery consult!

Dee, good to hear you are feeling better.

Fdwithfurkids, good luck on your PET scan.
  • ingerp

Inna--before I started tx I researched cold capping and icing and decided both would be too much of a bother. That said, I got it in my head that if the point of icing is to keep the extremities cold (which mine tend to be anyway), what I decided to do is wear sandals every time and say no thank you to any warming blankets. I stay pretty cool during the infusion, particularly my hands and feet. I've only had little tingles here and there, and if this is as bad as it gets, I gotta say it's been NBD.

• bobby77056
    bobby77056 Member Posts: 16

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and the words of encouragement! Each one of you are an inspiration and a light of hope! Medicating

urdrago71; I am sorry for the delay in responding about steroids. I am not sure if they helped me as much as they affect me. I get the regular dose during infusion, but this time my doctor was ok with me taking only one pill each day, after. I'm prescribed two each day, for the first three days. All I did this last time was one pill the day after, and then I stopped. I feel great, no issues, and emotionally I've been great. The steroids really affect my mood and make me a very crazy person.. ( and is not like I need another excuse to be crazy!)

Long story short, my second AC infusion was last Friday, 7/13, and happy to report that I did much better this time. Back to work on Tuesday, only 3 days at home resting. Didn't have to take any of the nausea medicine. Had sparkling water every time I felt weird, and my counts were great, as my doctor said. For those that are having problems going to the bathroom, my doctor told me to take "Cascara Sagrada"; whole foods sells it or any vitamin store. Picture below. It worked miracles. I started taking it a day before and once a day. And haven't had any issues. Also, I've been taking some vitamins, approved by doctor, called IP-6 & Inositol, bought them at Whole Foods, and it has helped tremendously with my immune system, blood counts and overall.

Hair, oh no, hair.. is 80% gone, and I've been wearing scarfs. Trying to make a "fashion statement" out of it. Not sure how much I am accomplishing, but the thought makes me feel better..

Engine104 I am praying that everything goes well with your wife. The ladies on this board are amazing and would give you great advice.

To all, please tell me about Taxol? I am curious to know what's next.. I will be starting after I finish my 4 infusions, 2 down. I need to know what to expect.. I know everyone is different, but there is only so much the nurse and doctors tell you about.. Scared

Hugs to all, and thank you for letting me be a part of your healing! Ivonne

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

After a somewhat uneventful second round of chemo, Janice developed a fever yesterday, a week after the third infusion. She may also have an infection and her incision is leaking again, so she is back in the hospital for a few days so they can treat the infection and help her counts to rise back to levels where it will be ok for her to go home. The best guess right now is Friday or over the weekend.

• life1963

InnaB2016. I also had hand and foot from A/C. My MO told me to use this cream (Urea 20 or 10% cream) and put on lose cotton sock socks and gloves. I also got a stand up fan and will turn that on at night when it hits. I am huddled up under z blanket except my feet. Lol. I also found that if I get up and cool my feet in the shower or ice them under a big bag of frozen peas that seemed to calm it down as well. They did tell me to keep my walking to a minimum as the pressure will irritate your feet worse. I ride a stationary bike for excirsise. I also found a super light weight sandal to wear that kept my feet cool during the day.

Also, I did start icing during my infusion on my 2nd taxel because it got so bad. That helped slow it down

My hand are better and my feet seem to not be as irritated now either.

As far as exhaustion. That hit me on my last AC treatment and followed right into the taxol. Never really got my energy back period 3 weeks out I'm starting to feel a little bit better but still kind of tired and wear out quickly.

Message me or chat if you want to discuss further.

Best to you!

• life1963

InnaB2016. I also had hand and foot from A/C. My MO told me to use this cream (Urea 20 or 10% cream) and put on lose cotton sock socks and gloves. I also got a stand up fan and will turn that on at night when it hits. I am huddled up under z blanket except my feet. Lol. I also found that if I get up and cool my feet in the shower or ice them under a big bag of frozen peas that seemed to calm it down as well. They did tell me to keep my walking to a minimum as the pressure will irritate your feet worse. I ride a stationary bike for excirsise. I also found a super light weight sandal to wear that kept my feet cool during the day.

Also, I did start icing during my infusion on my 2nd taxel because it got so bad. That helped slow it down

My hand are better and my feet seem to not be as irritated now either.

Message me or chat if you want to discuss further.

Best to you!

• life1963

Erincoop my heart is going out to you. After reading your story I was without words. You are a very strong women and a wonderful mother. Your picture is so heartwarming. Glad to hear your about done with chemo world! Maybe after you get away from that you will start getting more energy and be able to keep nutrients in you as well.

FDwithfurkids. On top of kicking soy out of your life. Which is really hard because everything has it in there. I feel like I can't completely get it out. However I can make it less abundance. Even chocolate. :( Having said that, have you heard if anti-aging facial cleansers and lotion are bad for you as well? Good gravy does one have to completely purge everything in their world and start over after they get breast cancer? By the way I really do love your sign on name. I'm such a fur baby lover myself.

Best of luck with your scan coming up!

Undergo and Frog Good luck with surgery consultant. Also, thanks for checking in Frog!

Duffy. Thank you for sharing that information regarding port. It relieved some axiety. You would think after surgery and chemo I would be a lot less anxious about such a little procedures. , really need to consider taking those anxiety pills. Especially to sleep at night ;)

Bobby7056. I did DD Taxel every 2 weeks. I also did the neulasta shot with it. Not going to lie, the bone and joint pain is miserable. The only thing that would calm it down for me was hydrocodone. However my taste buds started coming back around to where I could taste some of my food. Bonus! I started icing during taxol due to hand and foot getting worse. Energy level seem to be less and less each treatment. Been done for 3 weeks now energy level is starting to come back slowly but surely.

Engine WOW! You wife is one tuff cookie for sure! Prayers for fast healing so she does not have to get off schedual with chemo so she can be done.

InnaB2016. If your starting taxol that means you have four more to go! Believe it or not the last for treatments seem to go fairly quickly for me. I hope that is the same for you as well. I will also say my last one probably knocked me on my but the hardest. But I am starting to come back around slowly but surely. ;)

• astyanax66
    astyanax66 Member Posts: 223

Hi, Ingerp--Mine was a mixed bag, but do keep in mind they infused it fast (30 minutes) and just 1 week after Taxol. I had a mild headache, but that evening had bone pain. Things felt fine after a few days. I think with a 60 minute infusion, it would be better, I think. I'm going to keep using Claritin briefly before and after infusion days--next is on the 26th, so I think that one and the one right after will really be more "accurate" as far as side effects go. Hope all's well with you!

Life, great new about your port! Hope all goes great today with the removal.

DebAL, thanks for the news about the AI. I've been scared reading about the side effects.

dee

• astyanax66
    astyanax66 Member Posts: 223

Wow, that's very interesting about the soy. It's not something I eat much, but I do have tofu sometimes due to the high iron and calcium. But we're talking twice a month, and less than a cup.

Hugs, erincoop! I cannot imagine having a baby and dealing with this. Do you have anything you can take with the Norco to balance out the nausea (but not make you too constipated?) August 7 is close--I will be thinking about you. Has your doctor recommended anything for diarrhea?

bobby--Taxol was not the best, not the worst. Everyone said I did well. I lost about half my hair, so I just shaved it off, but my 2 major side effects were bone pain and digestive roller coaster (diarrhea one week, stopped up the next). I would say that it took me longer to recover after week 12, but most weeks, I was feeling better by the weekend (treatments on Tuesdays). Since I got Herceptin, too, it was hard to say what drug caused which effects. But about 2 weeks after I was done, I felt mostly normal.

Engine, sorry to hear about Janice! Hope this resolves fast.

FDwithfurkids--hoping all goes well with your scan on Monday. Glad you are feeling better!

Frogs, I had this dream where I went to Australia and took a tropical bird tour. ;0

Hugs to all,

dee

• ingerp

Dee--please continue to report back with your next few H only. My first one will also be one week after my last T and then every three weeks afterwards. Good to know you felt pretty normal within a few days. I'm already scheduling fun things for after I'm finished with the T! :-)

• Engine104

Thanks, Life1963, She is doing better today. Her counts are rising. WBC is at 7.0, up from .7 the other day.

Hoping she can come home tomorrow or Saturday. They want her counts up and the blood cultures back first.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Engine, that's good news..praying for her to stabilize..Be good to ur self..

I had my 7 of 12 Taxol today. newest SE is hot flash towards the end of my infusion, probably from steriod. No other symptoms, which is good.ive noticed I am getting exhausted easier and increasingly each week..my wbc is low again so increasing the number of days i do self injections...

Monday is my day trip to U of M, im all set.... all day thing, i see radiology first and redo mammogram to see how cancer is reacting to chemo. Than back to see teams members that support all actives.. lunch and back to see surgeon and plastic surgery..the surgeon doesn't lile to do surgery for at least 6 weeks after im done with chemo(1st week of Oct.)

Going to nap for a bit, afterwards need to do some reading I want to catch up with everyone..

Feeling blessed to have Amazing support on this board..

• InnaB2018

Engine, good luck to Janice! Happy to hear she is feeling better.

Urdrago, you’ve got it, girl! Keep smiling!

Hate my last AC. Day 7, and I am still wobbly. Fainted twice yesterday, presumably from low blood pressure. Feeling marginally better today. Did my 5 mile walk in the morning and was vegetating for the rest of the day. Had to take my son to a podiatrist to treat an infection. He was scared for me, can you believe it? He was so protective, my big ma

• Engine104

We are back home!

WBC is at 10, per latest test and the other counts are slowly rising. The cultures came back negative, so it looks like it was a neutropenic fever and not an infection.

Thanks, everyone for the thoughts and prayers.

• FDwithfurkids
    FDwithfurkids Member Posts: 24

Life- I haven’t completely removed soy. It’s nearly impossible without making everything from scratch. But I am aware of avoiding large amounts. I haven’t heard anything about anti-aging products. I’ll have to check into it. I do prefer to make my own lotions and creams but have resorted to store bought since before dx. I was just too tired ... now I know why lol.

In preparation for the pet scan I am attempting to kick all sugars out of my system well before I need to. But it makes for a very tired and cranky girl.

You all keep up the fight. Take good care this weekend. Here’s to hoping we all feel better every day.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Man, I've missed a lot on the boards this week! T #5 of 12 was done this past Wed. Heading toward the halfway point next week - I can't wait. I'm getting really tired of riding this train. I'm feeling good, though - no complaints except being tired and tender fingernails from day 3 to 5. And, I swear my hair is growing back. I never lost it all (I still have about 10%?) but it feels longer, softer and fuzzier when I wash. Wish I could say the eyebrows and lashes were coming back...

LIFE, yay, congrats on your teeth! :)

Erincoop, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this and a newborn at the same time, especially when she had colic. It's so tough to just do one or the other. Don't beat yourself up for needing to rest - you need to recover from the chemo and should rest when your daughter sleeps. Just do the minimum that gets you through your day. B12 shots have helped me with energy - your MO should be able to give them to you. Also, if you are nauseous, Zofran helps and also is constipating so it might help both issues. Big hugs your way! By the way, I also hate my wig. I feel like it looks like I have a rug sitting on my head. I wear it for work, but wear scarves the rest of the time - much cooler and more comfortable.

FDwithfurkids, hoping your scan goes well!

Bobby77056, thanks for the recommendations!

Bobby and InnaB, weekly Taxol is a piece of cake after going through AC (if you are doing DD, you'll have to listen to one of the other ladies). I was afraid of T due to neuropathy SE, but it has been easy. The only problems I've had by week #5 are being tired and sore finger nails from day 3-5. Please look up the tips on icing your hands and feet and taking L-Glutamine to avoid/help with neuropathy. You can decide if you want to do those things, but they have helped me a lot. My nails were VERY sore and I got "bruises" under them after T#1,but they improved by 85% after just one week on 30 g/day of L-glutamine. I've iced hands/feet through every T infusion and haven't had as much trouble as some of the ladies on the board.

Engine, holy cow! I can't believe your poor wife is going through this! Please give her a big hug from me. So glad she's back home and doing better now.

Urdrago, I'm noticing that I'm more tired, too. Dry mouth started with this infusion, ugh. Everything I own is either hairless or dried out, lol.

Frog and Urdrago, since we're all TNBC, I'm interested in hearing what your BS have to say - treatment options, reconstruction, etc. Please let me know either here or PM me! I'm doing UMX, at this point, but they won't even schedule me for a consult until mid-Aug because I won't finish chemo until early Sept and they want at least 4 weeks post-chemo before surgery. Somehow, the idea of surgery is scarier than chemo has been for me. Like Erincoop mentioned, I'm afraid I'll feel like less of a woman once I lose a body part.

Sorry if I've missed anyone. Have a relaxing, SE-free weekend everyone. Hugs!

• InnaB2018

My Integrative physician said that modern studies stress benefits of soy for cancer patients. She even recommended to substitute meat with tofu one day every week. There are links about soy benefits in Diet and lifestyle thread. This is so confusing

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Erincoop and Bobby, hello, and best to you both, you sound like strong woman, and fighters. I'm hoping this journey for you both is quick and successful!!!

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

LIFE and DEBAL, well that's 3 of us on anesterzol, i was told nothing of zomeda, not soy products! They did not say if it's 5 or 10 years either. I get really tired of tbed downplaying, and the springing of surprises,

I have had a few heavy duty night sweats a c hot flashes from chemo itself, but only a few times. Deb, I'm so glad to hear your report that it's going well. I'm not looking forward to more issues with the pill after all this other stuff is done. My oncologist neverf mentioned bone pain either. I asn scheduled for a bone scan next week to determine if I have healthy bones now at th e beginning of this hormone pill.

Life, i also take a morning thyroid pill, so taking it at night sounds like a plan for men too,. I start it next week. My sister told me that thatf drug causes thinning hair!!! So yeah, how about i have no hair going to thin hair!, i wonder if that is due to the actual pill, or the intentional decrease in estrogen?

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

Hey DJT, it's been awhile! And I am right there with you and LIFE, I'm on thyroid medication too. I am not sure if it is the pill or the estrogen as fair as the hair goes but remember it's not always a given we will have that side effect. I heard potential sleep issues so I take arimidex around 6pm. I recall I am out further from last treatment than you but are you noticing any hair growth? I'm 7 weeks out this Monday and doing good in that area so far. My bone scan had a comment "young normal" which made me chuckle. Maybe visit a few of the other AI boards and see what others are doing for joint pain. Many seem to take glucosamine. I was already on the claritin because of neulasta after chemo so just stayed on it. May I ask how your energy level is and how active you are right now? If you are not where u feel you should be yet I would want to do anything I could to prevent the joint pain. Exercise exercise exercise is a recurring theme you will notice. Figure I will find out in 5 years whether I go for another 5 or not. I hope you are doing well. Hoping for minimal side effects and uneventful weekend for everyone! Hugs

• life1963

Hello Everyone. Got my port taken out last Thurs. It was done in her office. Took about 45 mins. Dr. said my port had worked up higher into my neck area than usual so it took a little more tugging to get it out. It was a little sore that night and I put some ice on it, Duffyn suggested that. It's now Sunday I have showered on Saturday and I no longer have to wear a gauze Band-Aid. I just have strips of tape that will wear off in time. Some bruising. Told to watch for redness, could be sign of infection. But so far everything is good!

The little odds and ends pains and corks that I was feeling when on chemo is starting to go away. I do still have a little neuropathy cotton ball feeling between my toes but my hands seem fine. I still have that weird sensation going on in my face hoping that goes away in time as well. My taste buds are still kind of not so happy with certain food. I have noticed that my nails have stopped peeling back as far as they were. Perhaps now they'll just start growing out along with my hair. I just went and saw my mom and dad last weekend for the first time since starting chemo. My dad had to do chemo as well for lung cancer. He started one week before I started mine. He's 83. He seems to be doing really well. He taste his food, his neuropathy is going away, he still struggles a little with foggy brain and tiredness. And his hair is already grown 2 inches! Sooo Jealous! ;)

Next stop with radiation Dr to get fitted for body cast tomorrow. Then we will make finally decision on when radiation starts.

Engine how is Janice feeling?

GaWarrier good to hear from you. Glad you doing well!

InnaB2016 when do you start taxel? Do you have to get nulesta shot with it? The entire 4 treatments that I did with taxol I was never nausea or constipation. Icing my feet and hands truly helped with that hand-foot syndrome as well. I also took Vit B100 and B12 along with LGlutimin powder for 6 days after treatment. I also agree with soy controversial being very confusing!! I asked my MO at my very first consultation opt about soy causing cancer. His answer was there has never been a medical study to prove that soy causes cancer. However, recommended highly that I changed my diet to fresh fruit, vegetables chicken and fish with lean red meat only a couple of times a month. His opinion is everything in moderation is not bad for you. However, when I started going through my cupboards I discovered that I was buying more process junk that really had no nutritional value at all. I have cleaned out my cupboards since then. I do realize just like FDwithfurkids said "You can't get it completely out of your diet".

With all the opts and treatments out there hope all are doing well and having a nice relaxing weekend.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Frog and Urdrago, I found this article through a thread in the surgery section and thought you might want to ask about it during your surgery consults. (Just scroll down to read it (you don't have to download it to read it)).

NSAID analgesic ketorolac used perioperatively may suppress early breast cancer relapse: particular relevance to triple negative subgroup

http://www.academia.edu/22527938/NSAID_analgesic_k...

ABSTRACT: To explain a bimodal relapse hazard among early stage breast cancer patients treated by mastectomy we postulated that relapses within 4 years of surgery resulted from something that happened at about the time of surgery to provoke sudden exits from dormant phases to active growth. Relapses at 10 months appeared to be surgery-induced angiogenesis of dormant avascular micrometastases. Another relapse mode with peak about 30 months corresponded to sudden growth from a single cell

The NSAID ketorolac, a common analgesic used in surgery, is associated with far superior disease-free survival in the first few years after surgery. The expected prominent early relapse events are all but absent. In the 9–18 month period, there is fivefold reduction in relapses. If this observation holds up to further scrutiny, it could mean that the simple use of this safe and effective anti-inflammatory agent at surgery might eliminate most early relapses. Transient systemic inflammation accompanying surgery could be part of the metastatic tumor seeding process and could have been effectively blocked by peri-operative anti-inflammatory agents. In addition, antiangiogenic properties of NSAIDs could also play a role. Triple negative breast cancer may be the ideal group with which to test perioperative ketorolac to prevent early relapses.

Basically, it's saying that the study found that the use of the NSAID, ketorolac (a pain killer), during your surgery, is associated with a dramatic reduction in recurrence of BC. I'm definitely going to ask about it during my consult and will insist that the anesthesiologist use it during my surgery.

Here's the thread: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...

It also has info about getting a nerve block in conjunction with general anesthesia for your surgery, and that is supposed to reduce recurrence, too.

• Engine104

Hi Life1963,

I'm glad you were able to get your port out. I remember when Janice got hers taken out after her transplant 16 years ago. It was a relief and a landmark that the chemo was behind her. Her veins are so bad, I wish they would approve a port or a PICC this time, but so far, they keep saying, "Our guys are good, they can find a good vein." The nurses are good too. I'm amazed how they find good veins.

Thanks for asking. Janice is still tired, but she seems to be feeling better. The problem now is diarrhea, probably from the antibiotics. It's not too bad and she is drinking Gatoraid and taking Imodium. She was worried about the Imodium, but I think you guys have taken it too?