Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Guys, thank you for your support. What really sucks is that my counts are very good. Neutrophils are even higher than normal. I feel fine, exercise, drink 3 liters of water every day. The only thing that doesn’t word is my veins. I wish now I had a port from the start. It would’ve saved so much headache. Going to eat one chocolate blueberry to relax, and go to sleep. Let’s hope it’s only 3 days delay.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Heck, Inna—take two. ;-)

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

Inna, I can't imagine your frustration and disappointment over the veins not cooperating and being sent home. I really hope next week it turns around for you. The drinking water is important for sure, sounds like you got that covered. Hugs

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

InnaB2016. WOW!! That truly does suck! S***t! I am with Ingerp take 2!!

Heres to 3 days!!

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

OH NO, InnaB!! I'm so sorry! I would have cried, too - a lot. I am so hoping they can get a good vein when you go back. Big hugs!

Duffy, I am eating meat, but maybe a protein powder supplement would be a good idea...hmm... I do eat fresh organic veggies, but I will concentrate the the iron rich ones. The MO said none of that really helps because the chemo suppresses the bone marrow so I haven't been trying iron supplements or anything. Maybe I was wrong not to. Woo hoo for you - only a few days left until your last chemo!

DebAL, glad to hear your hair is growing, thanks for the shampoo advice.

Dee, so sorry your rads appointment was canceled. Things like that are such a pain when work gets affected. Glad the Herceptin was manageable and your blood counts are better.

Linda2119, my MO has talked about stopping my T at 8 weeks if neuropathy problems come up, too. He says the other 4 infusions are insurance. So sorry you still have so much ahead of you. It's good that you'll have a new, more up-to-speed PS, though. I've heard about people struggling after chemo because they don't see the MO for months and feel sort of adrift after the chaos of diagnosis and jumping right into treatment. Hang in there! Hoping you get your birthday wish and this is all behind you by then!

Engine, glad Janice is doing well. Are you taking care of yourself?

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi GAWarrior,

Thanks. I'm trying to do that. I feel very unworthy complaining on here because I know how much all of you are going through. I've been through this twice before with Janice, including the battle with leukemia 16 years ago where the outcome was very uncertain. It's hard, but it's much harder for the person going through it.

I was really looking forward to a restful weekend, which has been a rare thing lately, but this morning the dog decided to throw up twice again (She did that last weekend too.. I had Janice dealing with the runs and the dog throwing up! :) ) Anyway, so much for the restful weekend. I hope the dog feels better soon. Janice is doing great. Our son and his girlfriend are flying in on Monday. Next chemo is Thursday.

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

InnaB- So sorry to hear your veins aren't cooperating. Fingers crossed for better outcome tomorrow. No mention of a PICC line? I'm surprised at this point the are thinking move straight to a port.

Engine - Glad to hear kids are visiting that will be a nice non cancer diversion.

GAWarrior - I have never given up my women's one a day vitamin except on bad tummy days when I just can't fathom taking unnecessary pills.

Dee- Why are they so adamant about pushing the Herceptin in 30 minutes? My RX says 30-60 and if 60 reduced SE you would think it would be worth it.

• life1963

Engine That is why we are all out here. For support! Don't feel bad that you need to vent once in awhile. This is affecting you and your life as well. After all you are the caretaker of both your wife and your dog. Nice that the kids are coming to visit. Enjoy your time with them. Prayers for strength and peace.

Duffy Almost out of chemo world! Yay!

Dee That would be so frustrating! Hope that works out better in the future for you and you can get the ball rolling!

Undergo I just counted my eyebrows on my face and I have a whopping 10 on the right side and a little more on the left. Chunks of eyelashes missing. Ugh! You said you're using something on your eyebrows, brushing them in? My SO made the statement last night that they'll will grow back and probably be so thick I'll have a unibrow!!

GaWarrier hope your blood count gets itself straightened out soon. I did okay through most of my treatment until the last one where my liver enzymes were showing too high. I go back August 13th to have it redone. I was told to stay away from alcohol, and red meat. I was so going to have a beer during Frontier Days! LOL

InnaB2016. Best of luck to you tomorrow that your veins cooperate and you can get the second half of your treatment going. Will be thinking of you.

Still struggling with a face that doesn't feel right. Yep I'm one of the ones that have the off the wall numbness of my face. It still feels weird. Last night my SO said my nose was cold. I could not feel it. I really hope that comes back! Neuropathy in my feet is still going on. Some days they're fine and some days they feel like they have cotton balls in my toes. The other day I felt like I had rocks in my shoes and kept taking them off to shake them out. Weird.

Best of luck to everyone out there this week with all that you are trying to get done!

• Djt

Hi Group, I'm hoping the weekend is going as well as possible for you all, sorry Engine, you do have your hands full, and I'm hoping Janice continue to get through this without more setbacks, and the dog is better too.

Innab and Dee, hope you have a much better week coming up, rest and it WILL get moving in thed rightf direction, hugs.

Life, i hope the neuropathy is temporary. I had none during chemo, but now have a sense of numbness in my left foot at times.

Duffy, you are getting there!!!

Ingerp, and GAW hope your weekend had been positive and reviving, it's beautiful weather here in N.Y. right now.

I had a major (to me on a personal level) accomplishment this weekend. After it being parked and unused all this year ,I got out on my Harley yesterday. I was nervous about my level of strength, but I rode an amazing 17 miles, my s.o. rode his behind me for a back up, but it went so well, felt like I was me again, just for a while I could forget all the other stuff.

I know most all here may not like, believe in, or care about motorcycle riding, and that's OKAY, but it was a big day for me and I wanted to share with my group.

Happy Sunday and a good Sunday to you all.

Deborah

• life1963

Deborah! That is awesome news!! I know how much you love your motorcycle and how you were so bummed about not getting to go to Sturgis this year. I am so happy for you! Plus it gives me hope that I might actually have enough strength to man handle my four-wheeler in three weeks up in the Big Horn mountains as I have been hopping to getting to do that while we are on our vacation.

Oh! I don't think I told everyone that they approved me for radiation September 4th! Both doctors are on board and said it's only 6 days away from the 6 week mark. I was so happy when I got told that! :-)

• Engine104

Incredibly, this morning around 4:30 AM, Janice's surgical incision started draining again. Her counts should be up, so this has us baffled. She took her temp at around 9:00 and it was 99.0. We'll check it again later. If it hits 100.4, it's back to the urgent care/ER. I really hope we can avoid that with the kids coming in tomorrow. :(

On the up side, the dog is doing much better.. :)

It sounds like many of you also have some frustrating issues going on. I wish I could make it better for my wife and for all of you.

• InnaB2018

Happy to hear Life’s and Deborah’s good news!

Engine, so sorry Janice’s incision is draining again! Let’s hope for no fever spikes.

Thank you, guys, for your support! Tomorrow is a big day for me... unexpectedly

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Week 10, day 1.

Inna B, I hope you had a restful weekend. Wish everything goes smoothly this time

FDwithfurkids, hope you had a good vacation.

Djt, thats awesome. Its a big deal, this drive. I am so happy for you.

Life, good to know you are gearing up for rafiation.

Ingerp, 1 more to go... wooo hooo. Duffyzmom, when is your last one?

Engine, I hope Janice feels better soon.

GA Warrior, I would suggest lots of fibre with iron supplements. Also vit C helps with better absorption of iron.

Urdrago, my MO mentioned today about an oral chemo drug which is given if there is residual cancer found after surgery. Its an eight week treatment and is called Xeloda.

In other news, the numbness/ pain in my fingers have gotten worse, infact typing has become quite painful as well. MO said for the last 2 infusions, I will get a lower dose. I asked about efficacy and she said that we get 99% of the benefits in the early weeks. The last 3 weeks are just a top up.

I am sorry if I have missed someone. You all are in my thoughts.

• ingerp

Frog sorry about the neuropathy. Someone else here was stopping after nine T’s I think and her MO was not concerned. I had only had mild tingling but woke up with pain in several toes yesterday and am grateful I only have to pump this stuff in my body one more time. It occurred to me that as happy as I’ll be in Friday, I also have to get through the next few weeks of SEs before turning around and feeling better. Still—good times ahead for all of us!!

• gawarrior

Engine, you are definitely worthy of complaining. You're going through this right along with Janice - maybe not physically, but sometimes emotionally is just as much of a struggle. I can not believe her incision is draining again! Do you suppose there is some necrotic tissue hiding out that needs to be removed? I see it happen in dentistry sometimes - the outer tissue looks all right, but underneath, there is a small area that just won't heal and needs to be removed. So glad your son will be here today, and hoping Janice stays out of the hospital (and am glad the dog is feeling better. :) )

LIFE, hoping your neuropathy is temporary. The numb face thing feels strange, I'm sure. Congrats on getting your radiation scheduled!

InnaB, thinking of you and sending good vibes for today's infusion!

Deborah - so excited for you! I KNOW you enjoyed your bike ride. Nothing like doing something you love to lift your spirits.

FDwithfurkids, how did you scan results go? And your vacation? Hoping no more irrigation repairs while you visited your mom.

Frog, glad they'll reduce your dosage for the last couple of infusions. 2 more to go! It's good to hear that 99% of the benefit is in the first weeks. My MO has mentioned stopping my T after 8 if I continue to have RBC problems, but that worries me even though he has said the last 4 are simply insurance. Hoping your poor fingers feel better in a day or so!

I went crazy this weekend, reading up on how to raise my RBCs. I am determined not to have them hold my chemo for any reason (and to get all 12). I started on iron supplements on Thursday (MO ok'd, just said they wouldn't help due to bone marrow suppression). I got my multi-vitamins back out of the cabinet and started on them. Got a high protein powder to mix into a drink, got powdered greens to mix into water. Bought fresh fruits and spinach and had tuna for lunch yesterday. Got protein bars to snack on at work. They gave me chemo last Wed when my RBCs were 7.8 - at this point, my levels don't have to come up because I know they'll give it to me this Wed if they just don't go down. That's what I'm hoping for and then a nice, steady increase over the next few weeks.

Happy Monday y'all - have a great week!

• Engine104

Hi GAWarrior,

The draining pretty much stopped yesterday. The doctors, including my brother in law, feel that the BMX incision has never really had time to heal due to chemo every three or so weeks. Every time Janice's counts go back up, she gets hit with another round. Also, her counts never really recover that much (They seem to rise to low normal ranges, but that's it.). She has labs today and then an oncologist appointment tomorrow and probably the 4th round of chemo on Thursday. We're going to bring up the drainage again, as well as possibly stopping after this round. I'll ask him what you mentioned as well. I think I'll also ask my brother in law. Thanks.

• InnaB2018

The vein was found and I got my first DD Taxol treatment. Tired now. Going to bed. Thank you, everybody, for your support

• Engine104

Hi InnaB2018,

Glad they found a vein. Hope you have an easy time with this.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

InnaB, im aure u must be relived that u were able to to start treatment plan.. take care of urself, rest and keep drinking..

• Djt

innab, I'm so glad for you! I hope you can get in a good rest time. Such a relief!

• gawarrior

Yippee, InnaB! Relax and rest now - 1 down. :)

Engine, it makes sense that Janice's incision hasn't had time to recover. This chemo is so tough on our blood counts and also impairs healing. So glad it stopped draining! Hoping everything goes well so she can get #4 on Thursday. Meanwhile, enjoy seeing your family.

• InnaB2018

So now they are thinking I should get only finger sticks before the treatments in order to leave the veins for the chemo. If I need a blood draw from the vein, they propose to do it right before administering the meds through the IV. I am ok with it. It took 4.5 hours for everything to go in, though. Turns out my veins are sensitive to the pre-meds and Taxol, so they had to mix them with extra fluids and slow the drip. The nurses were watching me like thehawks. The gel freezer packs I bought on amazon barely lasted. They had to keep switching them every 30 min or so. At the end I was just resting my hands on the freezer element themselves. The nurses said that it would do since only the tips of the fingers and toes needs to be cold. We'll see. Not looking to the side effects...

Thank you for the positive thoughts! I am sure they helped! Only 3 treatments left!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad

InnaB, hugs, so glad the first one is behind you. Only 3 more to go. Wishing you minor SEs.

• life1963

InnaB2016.

Glad to hear that you got to do your treatment!

When I iced my feet and hands they told me because I had hand foot syndrome that I should try and Ice my entire bottom of the foot as well as the hands. What I used was ice packs underneath my feet. The first treatment I did ice packs with real ice in it. Feet got so hot that ice melted. The next time I did a treatment I just did a regular gel Frozen packs under my feet. I held onto small Gatorade bottles, tried using regular water bottles and they would defrost too fast. When we froze the water in the Gatorade bottle left the lid off so that the bottle would expand more, then put the lids back on them after they were frozen That seemed to do the trick for me if you wanted some suggestions on how to keep your extremities cold during your treatment. My treatments would last up to five and a half hours so it would last all that time.

Then I would have a blanket on my lap because I was so cold.

1 down 3 to go!! :)

• life1963

Well my foreheads has been itching all day and now that I'm home and I peeked into the mirror I have not one single eyebrow left on my face. I'm actually struggling more with losing my eyebrows then I did my hair. Because I got the choice to shave my hair where with my eyebrows I just had to deal with them falling out one at a time until they are no longer there.

I'm so sick of this! Sorry I had to vent. I know my eyebrows don't even match up to half the stuff you guys are going through. And I am done with chemo so I should be in a little bit better mood. But I'm quite irritated about my eyebrows for some reason.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Life, I've right here with you. If I could of kept my eye brows and lashes it would of made this a bit easier to deal with. Seems weird the eyelashes and brows fall out so late...And why bother with make up anymore? I don't have the engey to look better than I feel. I keep thinking" one day I will feel good again.". I also noticed no hair on my forearms.

My second complaint headaches, I thought it was sinus so I took cold tablet, then I switch two days ago to allergy tablet but still have the headache. I also thought maybe its stress.. Anyone else on Taxol with headache???

Does fatigue cause headaches as well? I know I'm struggling to have engey for a entire work day as today I came home early. I wish there was a drink that wld made us feel better even if maybe for a full day!!

Ugh, okay enuff ..

Want to give everyone a hug, as we cross off a week and begin another. May each of you find strength and support from everyone that touches your beautiful life. We are survivors!!!

• InnaB2018

Urdrago, Life, my MO told me that eyelashes and eyebrows fall out last and grow back first. So, if you are done with chemo, you should be able to see the new hairs soon. On the neuropathy front, I am was told that acupuncture helps with it. I’ll definitely try it. Plus, it’s supposed to help with fatigue and nausea as well. Thankfully, my favorite acupuncturist is Oncology certified. Will definitely call her tomorrow. Wishing you a good week, ladies

• ingerp

InnaB I always get my blood draw/IV at the same time right before tx. It only takes them about 10 minutes to run the blood tests.

Urdrago—I am really dreading losing my eyebrows/lashes. Somehow I feel pretty normal going out with a ball cap and makeup. I think I’ll just look weird if I have no facial hair.

My whine of the week is that while I’ve been SO excited for my last chemo this Friday, I kinda forgot I still have to get through the yucky part several days afterwards. I was so low energy yesterday and can only assume I’ll feel even worse next Monday. And I have a check-in with my BS plus an echocardiogram scheduled. What was I thinking??

• ingerp

P. S. Meant to add I’ve been fairly headachy but take three Advil and am good to go.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad

Life, that really sucks, and you have every right to complain.

Ingerp, I know exactly what youmean. I had built up 13 th Aug, Taxol 12, so much in my head. It is not going to be anything like it. I am going to be so tired. Maybe by end of August. I asked my MO about when I can feel a bit more energetic after chemo ends. She thinks it will take atleast 2 weeks and then some. By the 4th week I will be in surgery, so then surgery related fatigue?? Oh joy.

Urdrago, hugs.

I have watery eyes, and I have trouble with my current glasses. I have read this can happen, so am not bothered. Or truthfully, I am too tired to be bothered. If I can do something about the pain in my fingers. It is quite bearable right now. Will rear its ugly head by end of day tomorrow.

No sign of hair regrowth on head, but have noticed hair coming back on the forearms.