Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

May 2018 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• ReadyAbout
    ReadyAbout Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2018
    Options

Faster: I had a heart attack at age 41. I have a heart condition that was never diagnosed correctly until I had the heart attack.. Your docs will want to run a gazillion tests on you and probably start you on a regimen of beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, and a statin. The beta blockers are terrible - they made me very sleepy and apathetic and I stopped taking them after 3-4 weeks. Nine months later they took me off the statin. It's like they have a standard protocol and will follow through with that whether or not it makes sense. Very frustrating.

Oneof7: has your PS discussed prepectoral implants with you? This is a newer type of reconstruction - the implants ride on top of the muscle instead of underneath, so the recovery time is quicker. I had prepectoral done 2 days ago. The PS said he may have to go back in at a later date to add some fat grafting, but time will tell.

• duckee
    duckee Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello Ladies:

Just got home today after having uni DIEP reconstruction. I was at Cleveland Clinic in ohio. So glad to have that behind me! Surgery was 8 hrs instead of the 6 they were estimating because my PS decided to use two sets of perforators instead of one. So 3 days in the hospital just as a precaution. I actually feel pretty good, just back ache, have no idea why that would be but the surgical sites aren't painful. Once they pulled the catheter and I had solid food and was allowed to start walking the halls, I felt better and better. Besides the 3 J=drains, they have a wound vac on the abdominal surgical site to aid in healing. My PS also said she used a 72 hr nerve block on the abdomen site to keep me comfortable. I've taken 1-2 Percosets/day so far which is fine by me. My biggest concern? Constipation! I remember that problem so well from my mastectomy so now I am drinking just plain old water constantly, on stool softener and Miralax until I no longer use Percoset and walk, walk and walk some more.

My heart goes out to those undergoing surgery and testing. The best to you all.

• eo2378
    eo2378 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi ReadyAbout, so happy to hear that everything went well and that you're doing well! It never fails, periods have a way of popping up at the most inconvenient times. Thanks so much for the suggestion on the hoodie, anything to help make surgery day as smooth as possible is much appreciated! I'm expecting mine in the next few days!!

Hi Duckee, happy to hear everything went well with your procedure and that you're not feeling too much pain! Hopefully you can avoid constipation with lots of water and walking. Best of luck to you!!

• FasterPussycat
    FasterPussycat Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ready, I've been on statins for a few years because of ridiculously high cholesterol plus family history of heart disease. Either I had the mystery heart attack before the statins, or the statins didn't protect me, though they brought my cholesterol levels back within the normal range. I always thought my doctors were overly concerned about the possibility of heart attack because I felt just fine.

Meanwhile, the last 5 years before retirement, the company I worked for owned a gym with personal trainers so I took full advantage of that. It scares me to think how intense those workouts were with an undiagnosed heart attack somewhere in the years just before and during that time.

I'm on so many Rx meds now, what's a few more (sigh). Plus whatever the MO decides to put me on after surgery results are in.

• Gpwuster
    Gpwuster Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi ladies,

Glad to find this community. My lumpectomy(L) surgery is next Tuesday, the 22nd. I am not too worry about the surgery but more about the radiation side effect and do I really need hormone therapy.

• MiCyn
    MiCyn Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2018
    Options

Gowuster,

I am also scheduled for surgery Tues May22nd ..I am literally counting down the hours! Like you, my biggest concern is the radiation. This week I had consult with the RO and MO ..both were wonderful and put my mind at ease a bit. My BS likes to get the consults out of the way BEFORE the surgery, so you feel comfortable with the 'team' you will be seeing. I am so glad to have done this..I learned a lot from each Dr. The waiting for results, & now the surgery has been hard, so Im just trying to keep busy ..I plan on making my husband's favorite soup for dinner on this rainy, gloomy day we have here. Hang in there ..thinking of you in the days ahead ..🤗Cyn

• Nurselola1973
    Nurselola1973 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

Lumpectomy May 15th and nodes 1/2. Felt defeated so called surgeon yesterday, pathology came back.

Lymphnode was 1.2cm so based on size and my age (44) she says straight to chemo. Tumor was 1.5 cm still stage one and not aggressive, clear margins, ER/PR 100% positive and HER2 neg.

Seeing surgeon Monday and calling oncologist Monday to get this party started.

• MiCyn
    edited May 2018
    Options

Nurselola19,

I've been kinda following others on this board that are having May surgery..So glad to hear it's still early stages..great news, but sorry bout the lymph node..sounds like you are staying positive and ready to kick some butt!! That was fast, getting pathology back so quickly! ..I hope mine does as well ..I feel same way you do, in that I am ready to get going with treament plan asap..Sounds like the surgery went well for you...Oh, hearing those words NOT aggressive is what I am praying for too! 🤗Cyn

• duckee
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oops, somehow I deleted my entry from yesterday. Anyway, had a uni DIEP reconstruct 5-15 and got home yesterday with 3 drains and a wound vac. So far, so good, just my back muscles are tight and my calf muscles. Weird. Maybe they sit you up to see the natural drop of your unaffected brst to match as close as possible? That's what I'm thinking. Otherwise, pain is pretty much nonexistent... so far. Managing all these drains is a pain but hopefully they all come out this coming Wednesday. My PS really stressed drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated and walk to keep constipation in check. My PS also did a sensory nerve attachment which I was pleasantly surprised to find out. It may take a couple of yrs to several yrs as nerves reattach slowly but they are now doing them on all their patients. Surgery was done at the Cleveland Clinic. Initially I was looking at NOLA or PRMA but being so far away from home to have a major surgery really freaked me out so I chose to stay close to home and I'm really glad I did.

Good luck to all of those heading to surgery. Every day gets better and better.
  • Kelligirl5
    Kelligirl5 Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2018
    Options

Nurseola - Sorry to hear about the lymph node and chemo but clear margins and not aggressive is still a positive! You've got this!

Duckee - oddly My shoulders are super sore to?? I just had a lumpectomy so I don't think they would have sat me up for any reason? I was beyond stressed though and carry that in my shoulders so I'm assuming I've just been holding it all in and its relaxing a little now and the soreness kicking in. Maybe it has to do with the anesthesia?

ReadyAbout - Glad things went well for you! I've had some odd spotting this week to. I still have my IUD, (which needs to come out pronto but one step at a time) and generally have nothing at all.

I'm dreading Monday as my results should be back. I'm a little jealous of all of you who already have them so fast! I have my sons 8th grade parent lunch, decorated car parade and my daughters high school graduation and senior lock-in Monday. It's already an incredibly emotional day and I really just don't want to answer the phone! Can I just enjoy these big fun milestones with my kid and not think about all of this?? As it is I was having mini melt downs over what I'm going to wear to all of these events that won't show the scars or you won't notice the odd shape and size of my breast! Spent all afternoon shopping for a normal bra that fits and doesn't hurt!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited May 2018
    Options

We are thinking of you All! Medicating

• duckee
    edited May 2018
    Options

KelliGirl15

I faced a similiar dilemma when waiting for bx results; I didn't want the results while I was working (in health care with patients). I was told they would call @ 9:00 am and trying to cope with those results all day would have been impossible. So I told them to just leave the results on my voicemail and I would pick it up later in the day...which is what I did. A couple of extra hours or days will not make a difference in care. Enjoy your day with your kids.

• FaithsMama
    FaithsMama Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2018
    Options

Had my unilateral masectomy with 4 nodes removed Friday. Am home now with 2 drains. Pain is minimal as long as I stay on top of the meds. Haven’t had a bowel movement since Friday before surgery. So patiently waiting for that!

For those of you still in the waiting stage, the waiting really is the hardest part. The surgery and after care isnt nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

I still don’t have the pathology report. I get that Tuesday.

Stay strong ladies!!

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2018
    Options

Faithsmama that is great news that you’re doing so well. I go in tomorrow for my BMX and snb at 11am. I am so so anxious for that final pathology report, I think even more so than the surgery itself.

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

The Percocet has my intestines shut down in gridlock so I just switched over to Tylenol this afternoon. I’ve barely eaten since last Tues- no appetite- but I’ve taken Miralax, prune juice, stool softeners, etc. and still no bowel movement. A friend who has been through bmx had the same experience with painkillers and had to go off pain meds. I keep thinking of that scene in Dumb & Dumber where one of them takes Turbolax and then can’t flush the toilet. I should probably Yelp some area plumbers ahead of time, lol.

• FaithsMama
    edited May 2018
    Options

I may move to a suppository if no movement by tomorrow. I have been taking Senna for two days now without luck. But I realize, two days is not that much time. It feels miserable, nonetheless.

ReadYAbout: get that plumber on speed dial! Lol!!

• uneedaklu
    uneedaklu Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

I feel your pain, ladies. I took 2 stool softeners with every dose of pain meds starting on Thursday evening post-surgery as a preventive, and I finally had a movement yesterday. Narcotics are the WORST for your GI tract. I stopped taking them Saturday morning and switched to a Tylenol and Advil combination to prevent further problems.

Trying not to obsessively check my patient portal for pathology. And failing.

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited May 2018
    Options

I will have a BMX + SNB tomorrow, 5/22. I'll have TE as well. I am 60 years old, and at age 45 I had BC, lumpectomy + RADS + Tamoxifen, and was completely cured. This is a completely new cancer, and with much more aggressive tumor markers, although it's quite small. Elevated risk of future BC, which is why bilateral this time. Appreciate tips on recovery. My TC chemo will start 3-4 weeks after surgery, depending on healing. Some surgical risk of infection on my right side because of the radiation 15 years ago, so fingers crossed. Husband is an RN and will care for me well post surgery. I've appreciated good response from all doctors on diagnosis steps moving quickly, and all consults to move me to surgery exactly 4 weeks after diagnosis, which has felt comfortable and appropriate. I'm strong, but wow, this is hard stuff to face. It helps to read everyone's candid stories, to feel not alone.

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

As soon as I skipped a dose of Percocet, my intestines worked like it was some kind of race. Glad to check that off the list of concerns. I got the bandaging off today which was fabulous since my skin had a reaction to it and I was miserable with blisters and itching. Got one drain out and the other three have to wait 2 more weeks. I’ve had a fever the past 3 days so I’m getting an ultrasound just to rule out a blood clot. The right breast looks great, the left one is so-so with a 50/50 chance of some tissue becoming necrotic. Dr said it’s one of the risks in nipple sparing reconstruction. He said there’s nothing I can do to help the left side succeed other than pray. I’m just so happy to get the bandaging off. I almost clawed my chest off this morning because the itching was so intense.

• FasterPussycat
    edited May 2018
    Options

I had the pre-op stress test this morning (Monday) (the "routine EKG" last week shows I've had a silent heart attack some time in the past). Echocardiogram happens tomorrow, followup with cardiologist is Wednesday followed by lymphatic mapping (assuming I'm cleared for surgery). Double mastectomy happens Thursday. Or not, who the hell knows.

Anyone else turn up with "surprise" heart disease before a mastectomy? Did they handle it any differently?

I finally got hold of a human at my breast surgeon's office so they can request the results from the abdominal ultrasound I had a couple weeks ago for completely unrelated digestive issues that apparently shows some kind of lesion on my liver.

Considering I have one of the "best" cancers (1 cm invasive mucinous carcinoma which supposedly "almost never" metastasizes) and nothing unusual about my lymph nodes at the last breast ultrasound, I don't have any idea what to expect. Well I do, but maybe the news will be good for a change.

Not that I ever expected a routine mammogram to detect cancer, or a routine pre-op EKG to detect a previous heart attack. "Just keep a positive attitude," they said. "Eat healthy food and get lots of exercise," they said. "Get your routine screenings," they said.

FML.

Also, all the "friends" telling me about miracle herbs that cure cancer can foad, seriously. I'll gladly trade places with them. They can "cure" themselves with woo if they want but leave me out of it. I'd rather trust people with actual medical degrees and not fancy certificates from watching videos on the internet.

• JoyMrt5
    JoyMrt5 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi all! Sorry I haven’t updated since my surgery on 5/10. Surgery went well. I spent two nights in the hospital then came home. Pain was and is tolerable with Tylenol and an occasional Percocet (usually at night). I got my final pathology report on the 16th. It came back stage IIa. He took 3 lymph nodes all of which were clear and they got clear margins so all good news according to my BS. He wants me to see the MO who will make the decision about chemo so I’m currently waiting on that appointment. My tumor was triple negative so I’m not really sure what to expect from here.

Positive thoughts to all!!

• FaithsMama
    edited May 2018
    Options

Fasterpussycat: I too am getting then”miracle cure” enthusiasts driving me nuts. I am sorry to hear about your heartattack! Just one more thing to add to the list!

I am 3 days post surgery now and overall not doing too bad. My biggest issue is how numb I am. I anticipated some numbness. But the overall entire upper torso just has zero feeling. Kinda freaky. Am anxiously anticipating my visit with the ps on Wednesday.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited May 2018
    Options

HikingLady, I will be thinking of you today. It was 3 months ago today that I had BMX with DIEP Flap reconstruction. It’s wonderful that your husband is an RN. You will soon have this behind you and will be healing. So sorry you find yourself back here again. BMX is the way to go to help eliminate a recurrence. It’s a big surgery just give your body time to recover. Reconstruction results are amazing. You can have beautiful breasts again

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited May 2018
    Options

FasterPussycat- did they call the abnormality a left bundle branch block by chance or say that’s what they suspected? I had that show up on my last EKG right before surgery. At the top of the EKG printout it said, “prior MI suspect LBB”. They sent me for a stress test (already had echo few months prior). Stress test results came back showing the LBB but stated low risk for surgery. It was explained to me that MI can cause LBB but sometimes our heart’s wiring hits a detour and reroutes which is why they call it a block. It causes the left side of the heart to contract slightly slower than the right. Hoping your results come back like risk too!

• FasterPussycat
    edited May 2018
    Options

Lula I heard the cardiologist say something about ST as they were doing (yet another) EKG for the stress test. No more context than that unfortunately. Echo today, then all will be revealed Wednesday at cardio followup appointment. I'm glad yours went well, and I'm hoping for the same.

• Michi
    Michi Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2018
    Options

heading back from hospital today and had my BMX with sub pec tissue expander placement. Ps said better cosmetic outcome and my skin is pretty thin as is.. I’m in a pretty fair amount of pain as the nurse forgot my dose of oxy and let me go 7 hours. Now I’m playing catch up and hoping the pain subsides. I assume it’s normal to feel like you’ve been hit with a truck for the first few days!? I had hoped it wouldn’t be this bad, but hoping it’s par for the course and will subside tomorrow

• Gpwuster
    Gpwuster Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Cyn,

How are you feeling? With time different you might be in recovery now. I am going in 30 min(10:45 Pacifc time). Can’t wait to get this over. Hope you feel good so

• FasterPussycat
    edited May 2018
    Options

Echocardiogram happened this morning. The tech said my heart looks normal but I have a leaky valve. He didn't specify which one. My followup appointmen to discuss results of echo and stress tests is tomorrow.

The nurse from the hospital called to go over the admission forms and let me know what time to show up for surgery on Thursday, assuming I get the OK from cardiology. Then it's bye bye boobies and a new flat streamlined look.

• FaithsMama
    edited May 2018
    Options

Michi, chasing the pain is difficult. Get back on schedule with your meds and you will be feeling better. My drs have me taking some sort of pain killer every 2 hours. Tylenol, 2 hours muscle relaxer, 2 hours oxycodone, then repeat. So each med is spaced 4 - 6 hrs, but every 2 hours some sort of pain control is happening. My recovery is painful, yes. But very tolerable if I keep on my med schedule.

I hope your recovery pain is as minimal as possible.

I go for ps checkup tomorrow. Hoping one of the drains comes out!

• MiCyn
    edited May 2018
    Options

HikingLady,

I'm up reading tonight. I had lumpectomy this morning, came home and slept until 730pm ! Not typical for me, as I'm an EARLY riser ..I just wanted to say, Hope you are doing well after surgery.. I don't have any tips or suggestions, however there are so many here that certainly will. It's a good place to come for 'real' advice. I have learned so much since I found it.. I see we were both dx same day Apr25th, & had surgery today...I will be 60 this year too! You are not alone in this path we did not choose... My best to you for speedy Recovery ! 🤗Cyn