Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

May 2018 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• eo2378
    eo2378 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2018
    Options

Surgery has been pushed back to the 31st of this month. I'm having a breast reduction on the left side and MX on the right, and this is the soonest date the BS and PS are able to make it happen. I'm also very ready to get the show on the road, the sooner it's removed, the better. The longer it stays in my body, the more impatient I become to get it out. Wishing you all the best with surgery and recovery.

• a3vee
    a3vee Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ready about I was very glad to come up on your post as I have been frustrated with no surgery date planned yet for me for my left mastectomy. I was diagnosed April 10 I met with the surgeons April 24, and I am still waiting for my surgery date. The surgery scheduler gave me A tentative date for June 12, and that is depending on if they can get the plastic surgeon schedule open. So needless to say it’s been very frustrating with the waiting and I felt like I was by myself and that everybody else was getting their surgeries to get this taken care of but me by reading your post gives me some hope that the waiting game is not just central to me I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this date can get set in stone.

• duckee
    duckee Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello eo2378!

I'm 3 yrs post mastectomy and, no, I have not experienced any phantom pain. Numbness and tightness, especially over the incision site but range of motion exercises really helped with the tightness.

As you can see, I hardly ever post but do lurk off and on. These forums have been so helpful and informative, hopeful and supportive that I finally decided to have DIEP flap reconstruction. I'm scheduled for this Tues, May 15th. I'm finally more excited than scared, nervous. Time to wrap this experience up and move on. It's getting old.

Duckee, as in 'Well, isn't that just...'

• eo2378
    eo2378 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2018
    Options

Range of motion exercises, I will make sure to do these in hopes of preventing any phantom pain. Best of luck to you with the DIEP procedure, I will be thinking of you next week and sending well wishes your way. I went back and forth with between that procedure and the tissue expander, ultimately decided on the TE. I would have had to go from a G /F cup size to approx B with DIEP. I definitely was okay with reducing my size, but without the presence of my left arm, I use my breasts alot to help in my day to day. I just wasn't sure that a B would be enough to help me out, so I opted for the TE. I'm happy to hear you're on the road of wrapping up your experience. I am definitely looking forward to traveling down that same road as soon as possible! Best of luck next week with everything!

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2018
    Options

next Sunday will be my last day before surgery and my anxiety is in full force right now! I’m on the east coast and it’s barely 6am and I’ve been up since 4. Something about it officially being less than a week away after today makes it that much more real! I can’t wait for it to get here so I can be on the other side and recovered but at the same time I want to freeze time this week before everything changes forever. I keep telling myself this hasn’t to happen the cancer has to come out and the sooner it does the sooner you’ll be recovered. I just needed to vent that out to you ladies because you’re the only ones who really get it. Thank you for reading/listening. And to those who are mothers, happy Mother’s Day!

• helenlouise
    helenlouise Member Posts: 363
    edited May 2018
    Options

SLL, you are right: the cancer does need to be removed. I so wish I didn't have to have surgery but you are right it has to be removed.Then we can get on the road to recovery.

Best wishes.

• uneedaklu
    uneedaklu Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey, y'all -

Newbie here still awaiting diagnosis because apparently providing actual *equivocal* information just isn't the way my body works. Reader's Digest condensed version:

Nov 2017 - screening mammo; radiologist spotted some new small thing and did f/u US; conclusion was to watch and repeat in 6 months. BI-RADS 3; my OB's office never called me about this, which now makes me extraordinarily angry, but the breast health center sent a follow-up letter.

4/23/18 - repeat US; lesion is bigger and shows calcifications. BI-RADS 4A; f/u w breast surgeon for stereo biopsy.

5/3/18 - BS attempted stereo biopsy but couldn't visualize, so did US-guided instead. Pathology showed papillary lesion with atypical features and calcifications. BS recommended removal of remaining tumor, and is calling it lumpectomy, which is weird considering I don't have a diagnosis yet.

5/11/18 - insertion of Savi scout marker to guide excision (which I find infinitely preferable to having a coffee cup taped to my boob).

So I'm scheduled for lumpectomy on Thursday 5/17. Also awaiting genetic info because I'm adopted and have no insight into familial history, but I provided raw data from my genome to the genetic counselor in the practice. Also told that because of the atypia, I now fall into the high risk category, so this is the beginning of a long road no matter where it leads.

Waiting, waiting, waiting ... I'm already tired of waiting, and this is just the beginning.

Eesh. Hope all of you ladies who went before me have the best possible outcome, whatever that means for you. Heart

• ReadyAbout
    ReadyAbout Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2018
    Options

uneedaklu, welcome to the May group and sorry for the reason you are here! Yes, the waiting is terrible and unfortunately there are lots of ups and downs, dead ends and detours, good news followed by bad news. I wish someone had told me that when I was first diagnosed. It can be demoralizing dealing with the unknowns but the forums here are a great resource. Chin up and deep breaths.

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

ReadyAbout- good luck this week! I’m going in 5 days after you and my stomach is in knots already! Hoping everything goes smoothly and you have s fast recovery

• Kelligirl5
    Kelligirl5 Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2018
    Options

Surgery tomorrow for me and I'm dreading it! I took an Ativan when I got to work as I was just to stressed out! Tossed and turned all night last night so I'm sure tonight will be worse. Does anyone know can I take my Ativan the day of surgery? They said I could take my allergy meds so I'm assuming Ativan is OK. Otherwise I'm not sure I'll manage getting myself int there at all! Surgery doesn't actually start until 1:30 but I have to be there at 9:30 for lots of pre-prep with setting a guide wire on the left side to find the papilloma and then the node injection stuff. I'm assuming they won't really do anything else with the right since its my nipple they are actually removing. Anyone have just the nipple removed? I guess a bit of tissue under that as well to find the DCIS. If I didn't have this irritation on the skin you wouldn't find a single thing wrong looking at all my tests so I'm really worried about how she will know she even got it all? I mean if she doesn't have a defined spot how does she know what to remove other than the actual nipple?

• Michi
    Michi Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi ladies,

I’m scheduled for May 21.

after talking to the PS today it seems unlikely I will be able to do immediate recon, I’ve had previous implants and they are worried about the cosmetic outcome and the skin, so on top of the surgery it looks like I will be stuck with tissue expanders as well! I’ve been a wreck. I can’t wait for this to be over, but I’m so nervous about how I’m going to look. It’s monday and I swear I’m ready for wine already 😩

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

good luck tomorrow Kelligirl5! It will be over and you’ll be recovering before you know it! And Michi I’m right there with you! Surgery next Monday as well

• Michi
    Michi Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2018
    Options

good luck tomorrow Kelli! Sending lots of positive vibes your way

I was told you can take it the day of surgery and my PS just perscribed mine today actually.. nurse said I could take it walking into the hospital.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited May 2018
    Options

Kelligirl, do take the Ativan as you get to the hospital. The prep is the most nerve racking. You need the Ativan for the prep. You will be under for the surgery. Make sure you go home with pain meds. You will need them for a day or two.

Blessings for a successful surgery. Praying for clear nodes

• uneedaklu
    uneedaklu Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks, ready. I'm not good at patient, so this is not a good time for me. But this, too, shall pass ... one way or another!

• Wendy305
    Wendy305 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2018
    Options

I just did lumpectomy in January and then last week hadALND on 5/10- this blows...

• Wendy305
    edited May 2018
    Options

Itching, Compression wrap, and drains...a recipe from hell? So, I had a ALND on 5/10- woke up in a compression wrap and surgical bra that are making me itch so much I could lose my mind! Has anyone removed a compression band to change into a non-elastic banded bra and put the compression wrap back on??? The drains are not nearly as problematic as the itching! I am going to end up with full-blown blisters soon!

• Wendy305
    edited May 2018
    Options

I was also diagnosed in Dec at Xmas.... I thought I would be DONE with radiation by the end of this month....they may have actually finished staging this last surgery...maybe 2, maybe 3, maybe chemo, maybe not....it makes me crazy

• paisley222
    paisley222 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello Ladies....I had a BMX on 5/1/18.I have a 26" incision from behind my arm pits and across my chest because they removed a lot. I felt fine right afterwards, except for pain in my neck and back from a car accident 30 years ago. I did everything I normally did except for lifting and reaching upwards. They had me start doing exercises which has caused my arm pits to hurt because a lot of my lymph nodes were cut in the middle but they are healing. I just have to slow down a bit. I have a visiting nurse and occupational therapy come in a couple times a week so I don't get scare tissue because my incision is so long and I live a lone with no one to help me but otherwise I feel fine. I hope your surgeries go/went well also.

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

Paisley222 glad to see you are on the mend and doing well! Did you start moving your arms from day one? How long did it take to get the final pathology report? I go in for this surgery on Monday and I’m sick to my stomach with anxiety. It’s going to be a long 5 days...

• ReadyAbout
    ReadyAbout Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2018
    Options

Headed to the hospital now - a little SNB, a little DMX, some recon with TEs, and I may ask them to take a look at my right hamstring, lol. See you on the other side, friends!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ready, thinking of you and glad you will have this part behind you! I hope all goes well and so glad this part of the waiting game is over for you! Best wishes!

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited May 2018
    Options

Readyabout, sending hugs and warm thoughts for a smooth surgery and even smoother recovery

• FaithsMama
    FaithsMama Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2018
    Options

May 18th is my single masectomy. This is overwhelming getting prepared. How are you doing

• FaithsMama
    FaithsMama Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2018
    Options

ReadyAbout;You got this! Warm wishes, healing thoughts and prayers your way.

• kandyhunt
    kandyhunt Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2018
    Options

Surgery scheduled for May 30th. BMX, IDC left breast, was told I had cancer at the biopsy by the dude doing the test. I am sure he was a doctor but had no bedside manner. I have been to the MO and I love him. I was told the tumor was 2.7cm and than had an MRI and was told it is 4.5cm x 3.5cm x 3.5cm. My regular doctor could not feel the tumor even knowing where it was. IT was found because of a mammogram. This has been a journey of surreal craziness. I think on most days I am doing fine and then all of a sudden I have tears in my eyes. I am 60 years old and because of strange and tragic circumstances my husband and I just adopted a 16 year old boy. I am a strong person and this will only be a bump in my road. My friends are buying me a t-shirt that says, "Heck yes they are fake. The reals ones tried to kill me." They know I am a fighter and this is not going to bring me down. But I really am freaking out that my new son will have a trauma because I am going to the hospital even if it is only for an overnight stay. I want to be brave.

• Kelligirl5
    Kelligirl5 Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2018
    Options

Recovering well from yesterdays lumpectomies and SNB! Actually really surprised at how well I feel. No real pain anywhere but under the arm where they took out the nodes and that's only when I move. I did stay on top of the pain meds through the night but have switched over to just plain Advil this morning and so far so good. I also have a round of antibiotics. Apparently the original biopsy area was infected which explains the body aches and 4 days of constant sweating last week! My daughter had a cold and I just assumed I was fighting one off to. I never had a fever and the area was never hot to the touch but it was definitely not healing well so they reopened the area and cleaned it up. Thankfully they did the excision from another angle on that side. I may also be allergic to latex which is a new one to me! They used glue to close all my incisions so no stitches to remove either! GLUE! Seems so odd LOL! The positive news form the surgery was that my nodes were soft which is a good sign. We still don't know until pathology results which are expected as early as Friday. For those sweating the shots for the nodes, mine was painless! I asked the tech about that and she said there are different styles so that could be why some feel it more. I was numbed before hand and she only did one shot just under the skin. I didn't even realize she had given it yet! I also had a guide wire placed and again no pain at all. For all my stress and worry it was a relatively easy day physically, emotionally of course I was a wreck and really didn't need to be!

Hopefully hearing this will help with a few others nerves for their upcoming surgeries!!

ReadyAbout thinking about you today and hoping for just as smooth a day as I had!

• Marena
    Marena Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2018
    Options

Readyabout: was thinking of you throughout the morning & sending positive energy...

Kelligirl5: good to hear your recovery is going well so far! Thanks for sharing that the SNB prep wasn't too painful (although sadly for me, I was told they "couldn't" numb me prior -the 6 needles they plan to inject in my most tender area is my biggest fear currently! Hoping they change their minds, but ready with ativan in hand either way)

• pleasantsa
    pleasantsa Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

May Surgery List (2nd Update)

Here's a little key since most of us are fairly new to this world.

MX = mastectomy, BMX = bilateral (double) mastectomy, SNB = sentinel node biopsy, ALND = Axillary lymph node dissection, TE = tissue expanders, IORT = intraoperative radiation therapy

5/01 MiAnBu - BMX w/ reconstruction (TE)

5/01 journeyforward

5/01 BlueSky1969 - MX w/ SNB and reconstruction (TE)

5/01 paisley222 - BMX

5/03 PrairieDog - Lumpectomy

5/04 pleasantsa - Lumpectomy w/ SNB, IORT

5/07 PatsyKB - Lumpectomy w/ SNB

5/07 bgirl - Lumpectomy w/ ALND

5/08 Mntx - Lumpectomy w/ reconstruction

5/08 TrailDweller - Lumpectomy

5/09 Rjmjt120 - BMX w/ reconstruction

5/10 JoyMrt5 - BMX w/ SNB and reconstruction

5/10 Avalon7167 - MX w/ SNB after neoadjuvant chemo

5/10 Wendy305 - ALND after previous lumpectomy

5/09 Tanmcl - TE removal and re-excision after previous MX

5/15 Kelligirl5 - Lumpectomy w/ axillary node dissection

5/15 Nurselola 1973 - Lumpectomy w/ axillary node dissection

5/15 Mountainmama406 - Fat grafting after previous mx

5/15 Coltsgirl312 - BMX w/o reconstruction

5/15 duckee - DIEP flap reconstruction

5/16 ReadyAbout - BMX w/ reconstruction after lumpectomy (left) 2/2018

5/17 Saved_by_grace - BMX w/ reconstruction (implants)

5/17 Well_then - Lumpectomy w/ oncoplastic closure and lift (R), reduction & lift (L)

5/17 uneedaklu - Lumpectomy

5/21 SLL101984 - BMX

5/21 Michi - MX w/ reconstruction (TE)

5/22 MiCyn - Lumpectomy

5/24 FasterPussycat - BMX w/o reconstruction

5/25 Marena - BMX w/ SNB

5/30 kandyhunt - BMX

5/31 eo2378 - MX w/ reconstruction (TE) (R), reduction (L)

My apologies if I missed anyone or got something wrong. Message me with any corrections.

• pleasantsa
    pleasantsa Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Here's my update. I had a lumpectomy and SNB on 5/4. After taking a week off I went back to work on Monday. My breast didn't really like being jostled around in the car and walking around the office. I realize now that I had very little pain the week following surgery because my breast was/is numb. Now that the numbness is wearing off, my breast is much more sensitive and there is some more pain.

I finally got my pathology results after 5 days. I had sincerely hoped that the IORT would be all the radiation I needed because I really, really don't want to do whole breast radiation for 5 weeks. Unfortunately, while I was diagnosed with IDC, the pathology found DCIS that did not show up on any of the many tests I had previously. Because of that, I now have to do radiation. They will consider the IORT I had during surgery as the "boost" dose of radiation that they usually do at the end of the radiation cycle. I'm afraid I've read too much on the radiation boards and I'm scared to death about the skin side effects, the fatigue, and being able to work during the 5 weeks (5-days a week) of treatment. The good news is the lymph node was benign and the margins were clear of IDC.

I'm now waiting for the Oncotype DX test to come back to see if I need any chemo before radiation.

ReadyAbout, I hope all went well today! To the 5/17 ladies (Saved_by_grace, Well_then, and uneedaklu) I'm wishing you all well tomorrow. (((Hugs)))