Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

May 2018 Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Marena
    Marena Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thank you to mountainmama406 & all other sisters on this thread who responded with their experiences and fears around the SNB injections. Although I plan on pressing the issue again, it seems it is not protocol at my hospital to use any lidocaine or numbing cream during the procedure.- Tylenol & Ativan only...Still, I feel a bit more at ease that some of you found it less painful than anticipated. In reading through your posts, I look for any words that might help make this next phase of the process less traumatic. I am grateful for each of you.

Readyabout, I hear you re: the anxiety around "the rouge cancer cells" moving outside my ducts while I've been waiting for my surgery for way to long in my mind....Contending with unresponsive providers & unintelligible protocols; what seems to me to be a bit of insensitive bureaucracy! I'm attached to a major Boston teaching hospital w a reputable expert bs, so I trust the skill sets, but as for compassionate care, I feel like just another routine procedure :( Another reason I feel blessed to have this sorority space as a resource and refuge :

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2018
    Options

readyabout...you are correct! I do find that I bring myself back from sadness with reminding myself that what I am loosing or giving up with this disease is way better than the alternative! And when things are finally said and done my quality of life is really going to get back to normal (for the most part). I'm not loosing my eyesight, going deaf, I'm not loosing a limb that will limit my mobility....

I do want to share a good story I was told over the weekend. My lifelong best friend's grandmother had breast cancer at 55, had a single mastectomy and chemo and radiation. She had it come back in the other breast at 86. She survived again and is 96 now! When asked if she would fight it again if it comes back she said โ€œof course I would!". So as physical as the treatments are for this disease they'd are also very mental too! A good strong mind set does wonders for treatment, recovery, and survival

• Coltsgirl312
    Coltsgirl312 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi!! I am scheduled on May 15th for my double mastectomy, with no reconstruction, so we can go through this together! I'm out in Oregon and wishing you the best. Won't know my staging or treatment plans until they do the sentinel node biopsy during surgery, which is hard. I don't know if my journey is ending or beginning. Which, honestly is one of the hardest parts so far. I don't know what my treatment looks like. Are any of you in the same boat? Is this common? Thanks!

• Saved_by_grace
    Saved_by_grace Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello everyone! I am scheduled for a bilateral mastectomy with immediate over the muscle round silicone implants (nipples will be removed) on May 17th. I won't know until after the pathology results come back , what stage I am. I have been so tired this past year , at least I know why now . I am thankful for this board . ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Saved_by_grace
    Saved_by_grace Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ready About - I teach special Ed middle schoolers - resource. They are wild this time of year. I have been so surprised at the amount of love they have shown me since my diagnosis. One boy just made state for track and had me sign the toe of his track shoes . โค๏ธ I am sad I won't finish the year due to the surgery.

• Mntx
    Mntx Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Options

Well ladies-today is the day! Im in the waiting room about to do a needle localization then off to surgery (lumpectomy, SNB, and reconstruction) Prayers to traildweller who is also going today.

• MiCyn
    MiCyn Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2018
    Options

Mtnx, Positive vibes headed your way !!

I am still in limbo, waiting on surgery date, having been dx April 25th..

Prayers for a speedy recovery, Cyn

• ReadyAbout
    ReadyAbout Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2018
    Options

Praying for smooth surgery and best possible outcomes, Mtnx and traildweller! Please update us when you are able!

• Avalon7167
    Avalon7167 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi everyone

I will be having SNB and single mastectomy in Thursday May 10. I have already completed 6 months of neoadjuvant chemo to shrink the tumor which it did quite wel

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

Has anyone had to have an mri guided biopsy

• well_then
    well_then Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi May Girls!

I'm scheduled to have surgery on May 17. I think it will be a R lumpectomy with oncoplastic closure and lift, and L reduction and lift. I'm meeting with a rad onc on Thursday, after which I'll be able to make my surgery decision (between lumpectomy and bmx with TE.)

• Marena
    edited May 2018
    Options
    coltsgirl312: Looks like we are on the same journey, and "not knowing if it is beginning or ending" is spot on in terms of how I've been feeling lately. Had some relief once surgery was scheduled, but realizing that "the true staging" will not happen until post-op pathology is back frightens me -the unknown looming after the surgery is a source of much anxiety. Working on staying present & taking things one step at a time, however it is a challenge indeed! Looks like you are going into surgery 10 days before me, so my thoughts will be with you as they are with all of us here on this post, moving through May 2018 together...
  • FasterPussycat
    FasterPussycat Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2018
    Options

5/24 surgery date, bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction.

• Kelligirl5
    Kelligirl5 Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2018
    Options

SLL101984 - I had the MRI guided biopsy last week. It was really a simple procedure for the most part. I had an IV started and then was face down in the machine. Probably the worst part was having to lay still with my arms stretched above my head. My one arm was going numb and you just can't move so my advice is make sure your comfy! Once they had my placed they used a grid on the side and ran a couple of scans to find the exact spot. Then the Radiologist numbed the area and used the grid to locate the right spot and do the biopsy. I felt absolutely nothing and heard a very soft vacuum like sound. I think she took maybe 6 samples and I only know that because they were talking not because I felt it at all. They also placed a marker so that my surgeon would be able to find the spot later. They used glue to close me up and that was pretty much it. All in all I was in the machine maybe 30 minutes tops and most of that was positioning and letting the glue dry. My results were back the next day, thankfully benign and just a papiloma that we will remove anyway as a preventative. I was a little sore and swollen feeling the next day but nothing more than a bruised feel. I still have the glue on a week later and its turned to that ugly green bruise color now but no pain. Two things I didn't know, wear a supportive sports bra and they wanted me to lie back and rest for the day while icing. Thankfully I was working from home that day so was able to work and kind of lie back in my recliner with my laptop but honestly I could have come into the office and been fine. I had a planning meeting that evening and had no problems attending etiher.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited May 2018
    Options

My advice...in any of these breast procedures where you are not sedated...ask for a script for Xanax, Valium, Ativan, etc. There is nothing comfortable about any of these procedures, even if they are pain free. It helps to relax you and eases any anxiety and helps to tolerate any discomfort. Take it an hour before your procedure. Have someone drive you to and from the facility.

• bella2013
    edited May 2018
    Options

I am becoming convinced that experiencing pain or not could have something to do with the location of the breast tumor. Some women fly through these procedures without feeling a thing...some of us experience a great deal of pain. My tumor in my left breast was at the 1:00 position. It was quite large and stretched under my nipple. I had an ultrasound guided biopsy. The US was more painful that the diagnostic mammogram. I was experiencing pain with my tumor so the pressing on it during the US was uncomfortable. My radiologist was a woman and was patient to let the lidocaine take effect before she would proceed.

The worst part of the biopsy is the waiting afterwards

• JoyMrt5
    JoyMrt5 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2018
    Options

Tomorrowโ€™s the day. Will be going in for a SNB and double mastectomy with reconstruction. Anxiety has kicked into high gear!!!

• bella2013
    edited May 2018
    Options

Joy, take deep breaths. You will do well. Did they give you a script for anti-anxiety? If not, call your BS today. You are soon to be on the other side of this surgery and will have it behind you. There is relief when you wake up and you know the tumor is gone. Praying for clear lymph nodes

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

I honestly had more discomfort after biopsy than lumpectomy - not sure why. Neither was bad, but when the pain meds wore off from the biopsy, I felt like someone had punched me in the side of the breast as hard at they could, while lumpectomy discomfort was mostly at incision site and hypersensitivity of the nipple which took at least 2 months to improve. I just got an email from surgeon's office about an appointment on Monday that I knew NOTHING about - I called and it turns out I have to meet with the surgeon before my bmx on Wednesday. I'm Type A so I know I didn't leave my last appointment with this scheduled. *SMH* I'm glad I had already decided to take off from work on Monday and Tuesday, but I'm a little bummed that part of both days will be spent at doctor and hospital getting ready for the surgery.

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thank you ladies for the insight! Iโ€™m not extremely anxious about it because Iโ€™ve already made the decision to do a BMX (original cancer was found in left breast and thereโ€™s a couple spots, Iโ€™m small so off it is coming and sonoant the right one for symmetry and they are working on coordinating the two surgeons now. This procedure is to investigate a small spot my first mri picked up, could be nothing or could be something, but my surgeon is insisting we find out now before Iโ€™m in surgery. She does not want to have to take lymph nodes from both arms of she can help it. I agreed with her and would rather be poked with a few more needles then have issues down the road with my lymph nodes.

• well_then
    well_then Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2018
    Options

Sending healing vibes your way!

• SLL101984
    edited May 2018
    Options

Just got the call! Surgery scheduled for may 21st! Itโ€™s getting real, I know Iโ€™ll be a ball of nerves next weekend!!

• bella2013
    edited May 2018
    Options

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• eo2378
    eo2378 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello everyone.. It's so amazing to have such a resourceful community! I'm 39, diagnosed on Friday the 13th of April with DCIS. After an MRI, I was upgraded to multicentric DCIS. MX was my only suggested option. My date hasn't been confirmed, but I'm looking at the week of the 21st. Anyone concerned, or read about, the possibility of phantom pains after MX and reconstruction? I lost my left arm to osteosarcoma at 13 and live the reality of phantom pains to this day. Not sure if this happens with MX or not? Appreciate any insight anyone may have to offer!

• ReadyAbout
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi eo2378, I am so sorry that you are going through cancer yet again. Phantom pain is possible but I am unsure of its probability. Here is a link to a short article. Did your BS discuss it with you? http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects/phantom_breast_pain

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited May 2018
    Options

I had a Left lumpectomy and ALND on May 7th (Monday). Kind of out of it for 2 days. Was expecting a simpler recovery. Knew I would have a drain this time, but found my reaction to the surgery and pain meds harder this time. Maybe because I am 6 1/2 years older or the larger node dissection!??

It just shows that each surgery is very individual. Kind of like having babies each experience can be different for the same person. So, for those of you still waiting just try and let it unfold and take it one day at a time. Your recovery will be at your pace. Be kind to yourselves ... in the big picture it is just a short time. Remember that the pathology is just information .. all test results are just information ... they do not change what is .... if you can hang on to that lesson it can help with the scanxiety along the cancer journey.

I already know there is lymph node involvement (found that first 2.8cm), but with the tumour small 8mm x 5mm hoping that the node involvement does not extend too far. Had testing a know that there is no evidence of METs from either time. I'm just a BC survivor with BC!!!

• Marena
    edited May 2018
    Options

SLL101984 I'm right behind you w my BMX & SNB on the 25th, dreading that last weekend and the countdown...Already noticing the waves of anxiety.

Bella 2013 appreciate your experience that Ativan was helpful in making it through your SNB prep. I have some ready to go! What dosage did you take & how long prior to the procedure did you take it?

Continuing to have all of you in my thoughts on the regular and hoping for positive outcomes...

• bella2013
    edited May 2018
    Options

Marena, I took .5mg of Xanax. Timing on when to take depends when you are scheduled for your procedure. I took my dosage before I left the house because I am only ten minutes away from the hospital.

I will be thinking of all of you in the coming weeks as you all approach your surgery date. Praying for clear nodes and quick healing

• eo2378
    eo2378 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks ReadyAbout for your response and suggestions. I have an appointment with the the BS next week and I plan to ask about the phantom pain. I had very few questions to ask at our last appointment. I was still processing and trying to make sense of everything I'd just been told. Now that I have had a chance to to wrap my head around everything, I have complied a list of things to ask. I'm hoping these are minimal if they should arise.

• MiCyn
    MiCyn Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2018
    Options

I see your surgery is scheduled the day before mine..I'm more anxious to get the show on the road, so to speak.I told my Dr yestrday when i got the call for surgery date, if I could take this sucker out myself, I would..I meet with RO next week , May 15th. I'm trying to stay focused on that for now. I will be thinking of you in the days ahead. Stay positive! Easier said then done sometimes I know..๐Ÿค— Cyn