Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Revision from subpectoral to prepectoral.

Options

Comments

• Yaniza
    Yaniza Member Posts: 83
    Options

Zoisite...Bumping this for you

I know some people who have posted here have had radiation. I didn't.

Yaniza

• gracem1
    gracem1 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Yaniza... me too!!

• Zoisite
    Zoisite Member Posts: 20
    Options

I am curious if any of you who have changed from sub to pre pec have previously had radiation?

• Yaniza
    Options

i wish this thread was more active but I'm guessing that changing from sub pectoral to prepectoral reconstruction is not nearly as common as going straight to prepec.

So here is hoping someone will chime in to answer your question.

• Zoisite
    Zoisite Member Posts: 20
    Options

Yaniza, I was not given the choice because of radiation my PS was afraid to do pre pec. ow I am wondering if I should find another PS who would do it. I don’t really care for the way mine feel with the muscle it seems so tight. Thanks for trying to help me.

• Crescent5
    Crescent5 Member Posts: 64
    Options

i'm baaaaaack!! 😁 Thank Goodness for this option! I'll have my revision from sub pec to pre pec next month. I decided in January and am just trying not to think about it too much since I have a long wait (just the way my schedule worked out). I cannot wait to get rid of the muscle tjghness and gross deformity.

I have really thin skin so PS is using alloderm. She said she's not too worried about rippling even though I have a ton. I look like I could be the crypt keeper's wife. This surgery can't come soon enough!!

Good luck to everyone!

• joy2
    joy2 Member Posts: 16
    Options

hello Crescent5 ! I had the same revision before 3 weeks. I like better the pre pec than sub pec. I like that i have not that deformity, other than that i still can't say anything because i don't use my arms too much due to my doctor said not to lift or raise my arms up yet, but i can tell that i feel better already.I have a really thin skin so my doctor used alloderm too and also I had fat-grafting. I have no rippling and my boobs look good. Good luck on your surgery and i think that you'd be more happy after.

• gracem1
    Options

Ok all you beautiful ladies out here in revision land~ . Here we go again!

I'm finally having my sub pec implants explanted and put above pec on Wednesday the 10th! At first the surgeon said that he didn't like the transition (the way it's flat in the upper pole and then the round implant) but now he said that he can't fix that. I think that the only way to fix that is to get a teardrop implant but i'm not comfortable with that, as they are implicated in BIA ALCL (lymphoma of the breast). He also said that I'm not a good candidate for fat grafting as i'm too thin and he could only do the procedure once. He also said that it's a bit like botox in that it doesn't last. I really don't want another surgical procedure anyway as he can't do it the same time as the upcoming surgery. This surgery will be number 14 in my life! Enough. I am sooo nervous but excited as well to get rid of this animation!! I really dislike that he made me so large 495 CC on my small frame and that the breasts are heavy and saggy. I have a lot of rippling now under the muscle because of thin skin and i'm afraid it will be worse over the pec....will it? Was that your experience?? He said he MAY use alloderm !! ..but I reminded him that he said he WAS using it initially and that i certainly hope so because of my thin skin! I am still confused as to why the pocket was as big as it was (to fit 495 CC implant) ?? I was never a double D! Did they over stretch me during expansion? Is my skin old and thin?? I have never gotten a straight answer to this? I wanted to go smaller but he said i would have another scar around the nipple plus a vertical anchor scar on top of the horizontal scar I already have. A ferris wheel of scars around my breast :( He said I wouldn't be happy with this but from the beginning I wanted to be between a large b and small c :( I'm really nervous about the way they are going to look after this 3rd surgery! I need some words of encouragement. Has anyone had a similar experience? Did they look droopier and lower over the pec without the pec holding them in place? more, less or the same rippling? Mine feel so loose but when i asked if tightening the pocket might help, he said no. Will they feel looser and baggier being freed from the pec??? The thing propelling me forward with this decision is to rectify the dynamic distortion of the pecs pressing down my implants all day long when I work ! (massage and yoga). If i had been in America I could've gotten direct to implant over the pec first surgery (which is what i had asked for) but my surgeon said that they don't do that risky surgery in Canada. Fast forward to my 6 month check up where i showed him the animation and he said "why don't we put them above above the muscle (jaw drop) wth??!! Anyway, that's another of my fears, that he is new to the procedure but it will cost me ($3,000-$5,000 per breast) to go somewhere else!

I only received a generic after reconstruction pdf which i demanded after i was sent home last surgery without any post operative care instructions! Can you please share you post operative care info? phsyio ? restrictions? timeline? He said I could do everything i could do before after 6 weeks. Like i said, I'm a massage therapist that does deep tissue massage on athletes all day and I feel that the last surgery i rushed it. Friends that have had a boob job (not mastectomy) said their surgeons said 3 months (that's very different than 6 weeks)! I would really like to know everyone else's protocol.

Also...Did the pectoralis muscle heal back to normal?? I'm totally freaked out as its getting close to the date! I hope some of you get this message and can share your experience! I am very active and want full function of my pecs and shoulder girdle!

Many thanks in advance. xo

• Crescent5
    Crescent5 Member Posts: 64
    Options

thank you Joy! And good luck Grace!

I can't answer any questions yet but one thing stuck out to me that I have to think through a little because it really makes sense. My subpec implants look gross all around. My new PS said without the muscles pressing and holding down the implants, they'll be able to settle into the pocket more naturally thus creating a more natural look. That actually makes sense to me.

Truly I don't have overly high hopes for how I'll look. I just want this junk out of my muscle. Even now as I sit here having my morning coffee, and I can feel my pecs holding the implants.

Someday soon I'll be able to roll over in bed normally and not flop like a fish out of water.

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    Options

I had my under the muscle TE replaced with an over the muscle smooth round implant last November. Last week I had some work done to raise the implant as it was sitting too low and had some fat grafting to it as it was rippling quite a bit. It looks much better, so far so good.

• gracem1
    Options

Yes thanks Joy for your input and hear hear Crescent ! Loud and clear.. really want them out. Let's hope for the best then! hopefully we get a good result along with function :)

OCDA..I feel like mine are sitting too low now! I wanted a lift with a smaller size but as i said it would require two new incisions and my surgeon doesn't want to do that. How did they "lift" yours? did you have an anchor scar to begin with? i asked about tightening the pocket and he said it wouldn't help...?? Curious what they did with you...I really don't want another surgery. :O Like i said this will be 14 in my life.

thanks for your responses! Hopefully others will chime in before my surgery on Wednesday and Crescent5 next month :)

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    Options

Grace, I’m not totally sure how he lifted it, something about movimgthe mammary fold and tightening the pocket. I had the nipple removed too so I was already going to have a scar (my nipple has never been in the correct place since my first surgery and I’m tired of messing with it.) I think you should insist on alloderm if you are doing above the pec muscle.

• gracem1
    Options

Hey Amy.. .Did you have the inframammory incision to begin with ? I asked about tightening the pocket but he said it won't make a difference...? i have the horizontal scar out to the side and he can't use that make the pocket smaller (it has to be the anchor scar. Thanks for you response on the allderm I just read this from another post on here that has me a little concerned uff... https://www.philly.com/health/breast-implant-reconstruction-surgical-mesh-cancer-mastectomy-fda-study-20190401.html?fbclid=IwAR0qdy3eO_mo982Yqmxyfub-rSXflQNJNxhJvvuL9lwgUi242WyuhFeApcQ

• Yaniza
    Options

Gracem1,

First of all let me say I live in Halifax Nova Scotia. Fantastic care and surgeons here but not as much experience with pre-pec positioning.

While I still had tissue expanders in under the muscle I had a consult with a surgeon in Montreal while I was visiting my daughter. This surgeon was advising me to go pre pec, which is what he preferred to do when possible... and that was in 2016. My plastic surgeon in Halifax was hesitant about doing that because he said my skin was thin . I went through with the subpectoral implant recon and the results were visually good as long as I didn't use my muscles.

In August last year my plastic surgeon in Halifax did a revision to prepectoral . My subpectoral implants were smooth round high-profile mentor 325 cc's. He used exactly the same ones for my revision to pre pec with the addition of wrapping the implants with alloderm.

They appear to be slightly larger and slightly lower which is better. Muscles are back in place and functioing normally. Had one round of fat grafting just over 2 months ago with pocket revision to loosen right side. Fat grafting is holding. I worried about pc being able to do the fat grafting (5ft 7in @116 lbs). He was confidant though.

The pocket size and position is crucial to a successful pre pec outcome.

AND... be very careful to give your muscles time to heal back in place.

good luck on wednesday.

Yaniza

• gracem1
    Options

Thank you YANIZA for such a in-depth answer ❤️🙏🏽

Yes prepec is still relatively new in Canada, partially for the cost. Sadly I missed the window with my surgeon but moving froward I'm hoping It's still the right procedure for me. Does it feel much better to you? I imagine a big relief without the animation with the use of the pecs.

I wanted the size you have but was given inspira ssx 495cc due to pocket size. Are your implants similar in projection etc ? Are you Happy with the way they look as opposed to under the pec? I was also told my skin was to thin as well originally. Did you have have goodwound healing ? Did you have a a lot of rippling before the fat graft? My surgeon doesn't want to do the fat grafting. I feel like the pockets are too loose especially on the right. How did you know the pocket was too tight ? Did the surgeon make one pocket too tight ? What were the symptoms? I swear since the expanders it has always felt like my right one is falling down.

Well I sure hope he knows the right pocket size and position on Wednesday!. How long before you could use your pecs? Can you please tell me your post operative timeline and care ?

Thanks for the info and well wishes! X

• Yaniza
    Options

gracem1, first of all... good luck tomorrow.

I am very glad that I had the revision. Aesthetically I would say I look better in clothes now. Projection is about the same. My breasts are a bit lower and softer.

I had 4 drains. This is a complex surgery. I can't stress too much how well you should take of yourself while your muscles heal back in place.

As with any recon... give things time to settle.

Sorry for the 11th hour reply.

Yaniza

• CaliRN
    CaliRN Member Posts: 28
    Options

What was the recovery like after switching from behind the muscle to above the muscle? Did you have a lot of pain? I'm scheduled for this in a couple of weeks.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    Options

Mainly just sore. By far the easiest of my breast surgeries. 

• CaliRN
    CaliRN Member Posts: 28
    Options

Thank you...good to hear!

• jojo9999
    jojo9999 Member Posts: 52
    Options

I am scheduled to have a revision from sub-pec anatomical shaped implants to pre-pec smooth rounds. I would like to hear from women who have had this done. I would like to know about the size of your implants from sub to pre pec. Were the new implants a similar size and did they feel the same size-wise as pre-pec? I worry that because I am changing two variables - implant position (to pre-pec) and changing the style of implant from a firm teardrop shape to a soft smooth round, I can't anticipate what it will be like. I don't want to end up feeling/looking larger than I am now. love to hear more stories. thanx, jojo

• Yaniza
    Options

Jojo, as far as size goes, my results seem a bit bigger with exactly the same size round, smooth mentor, 325 ccs. I can't remember reading about anyone who has revised from sub to prepectoral with teardrop to round. I hope you get some responses to this question.

Yaniza

• veggal
    Options

Jojo, I did that in September of 2017. I went from 595 cc 410 FF's sub pec to 615 Inspira SCX pre-pec. 

Projection was my main issue. The 410's were so wide and flat and ugly. The animation was crazy and my arms were constantly knocking into them on the sides of my chest. All of those problems are resolved with the new implants.  I am pretty large, but not shockingly so. I had stretched out boobs from 3 years of breastfeeding and menopause and had a nip and skin sparing BMX so I had a rather large skin envelope to fill. Your situation may be different. 

Good luck!

• jojo9999
    jojo9999 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Thanks so much for your responses, Yaniza and VegGal. Questions..

Yaniza, when you say a little bigger, was it noticeable in clothing? Did your bra size increase or rib cage dimension?

VegGal: I looked up you round implants, they are listed a cohesive, do you find them to be much softer than the 410's? This is my second revision - I first had 410s but was wildly uneven. 4 years ago had them revised but still teardrop shape - I believe they are a Mentor product. My request this time is for soft! I am not sure how much of my discomfort is from the teardrop shape or the sub-pec or both. I don't care about upper pole fullness - wish I knew this 4 years ago. Nor do I care about rippling - within reason. I want softer, droopier!

• veggal
    Options

No, the SCX are quite firm, which I like. They do have some Inspiras that are softer as well but I wanted ripple-prevention and so went with SCX. 

• joy2
    joy2 Member Posts: 16
    Options

hello jojo! I did the revision on march 7 from sub pec to pre pec and i went slightly larger i had sub pec495 and wet 508 to pre pec. I have alergian high cohesive and i like it. I have no rippling til now, it might be because i had fat grafting too. I like better the one that i have now pre pec. I hated the deformity when i was sub pec. Except for the wound that i have problem closing anything else it is better with me now. implant are high cohesive gel but i feel the very soft. Size, it looks the same to me even i went slightly larger.

• dhbbfh1999
    dhbbfh1999 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hi all, I am 7 weeks out with prepectoral implants and alloderm covering them and holding them/stitched directly to muscle. I know my question isn't directly related to original post but since I see a few have prepectoral here is deal: I did too much activity yesterday. I was sweeping carpet with a broom in a nasty apartment after we helped move someone out of it. Since I couldn't move or lift stuff I thought I would at least help get carpet ready to vacuum not thinking that would be bad. Was only told NO HEAVY lifting at last appt and that I could raise my arms above my head now, wash my hair, and do wall "finger walking" and gentle stretching with arms up on wall and lean into it to stretch. I was sweeping up big stuff too big to vacuum, into a pile. (This was a hoarded apartment so could NOT vacuum up all the crap) Well I felt something I can only describe as a "pop" without discomfort. But now under my left implant I feel like when I use my left arm to do ANYTHING or move around in bed, it "tweaks" a bit. I have no idea how else to describe it. Feel a movement of some sort under the implant. It's in same spot everytime I feel it.

Anyone else ever have any problems that sound even remotely similar? Do you think a stitch popped?

I also just read on another plastic surgeon's website that after reconstruction all patients should sleep lying on their back for 8-12 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O ! I am 7 weeks out and a side sleeper and keep waking up on my side in discomfort! I tend to sleep on my right side so that means gravity is pulling down that left implant when I do that in my sleep! I am so worried I have done something to mess up. I know it takes time for our body tissue to grow into the "alloderm tissue graft" which holds those babies in there. That's why they suggest lying on back while healing so they don't move!

Opinions?

Thanks!

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Dhbbfh I know my PS didn't want me doing anything repetitive in nature for a couple of months. So vacuuming and sweeping were off the list but it seems all the surgeons have different protocols to follow. That being said you are 7 weeks out, and that may be just been an adhesion popping loose. I did have that happen from time to time. But I would call your PS office just to make sure. My implants do shift to the side a bit when I lay down at night.

• dhbbfh1999
    dhbbfh1999 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Just got off the phone with the PS and he said same thing, but reminded me not to vacuum, iron, sweep for 12 weeks! Oops I wasn't even thinking! He asked me a bunch of questions like do implants look even, has the left seemed to move or shift or has the shape changed? Everything seems fine so he said CHILL and stop doing so much! Thanks Rah2464~ I am so paranoid that I am messing things up!

• Outtawhack
    Outtawhack Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks. Im interested in this topic too.

• Philagrl
    Philagrl Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi there,

I had prophylactic double mastectomy one week ago today. I had pre pectoral with alloderm. My breasts are pretty red and sore. I’m not sure what is normal at this stage? I’m so worried my body is rejecting the alloderm. They look pretty angry. Is this normal? Can anyone comment