Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Revision from subpectoral to prepectoral.

Options

Comments

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

I don’t remember angry and red. I’d take a picture and try to get it to your PS.

• Crescent5
    Crescent5 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi everyone!

I had my revision from subpec to prepec 3 days ago 😃 So far, they are beautiful but I know swelling can play a part in that. My question to those who have had this surgery... please tell me they won't always feel so heavy. I'm assuming it's because the stitching is still very tender and in time they won't feel this way. I saw my PS today. I'm healing well, but she seemed unpleasantly surprised that they feel so heavy and uncomfortable.

On a side note: having worked with 4 PSs over this 7.5 year journey, I've come to see that PSs are like one night stands. They sweet talk you silly until you're undressed with your boobs in their hands. The next time you see them they're kinda cold.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    Options

Crescent!  You hit the nail on the head!  

• Crescent5
    Options

VegGal hehe About the PSs or the heavy prepecs? I need some reassurance today and unfortunately my PS had no idea why I felt this way and said they looked so much better. Well they do. But I'm not used to this feeling

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

Following. Heal quickly Crescent5. Hope all your expectations about the change are met and then some! Xoxo

• veggal
    Options

Crescent, my comment was about the PS. 

I can't say that I experienced that feeling of heaviness. I had my rack very securely held in a surgical bra for 2 weeks and I think that helped me adjust to it. Even now I wear a bra 24/7. 

How large are your implants?  Mine are 615 cc's. Do you have an Alloderm sling?

It sounds to me that you may be a little hyper-focused on the feel of the implants.  I was the same with my first implants (sub pec). It can drive you crazy.  

Please remember that you are very fresh from surgery and you need to heal and let your body and emotions adjust. 

• Crescent5
    Options

hi Ladies! Thank you for the replies. Man what a trip down mammary lane this has been! I want to follow up for anyone reading a contemplating this revision.

The heaviness was mostly post op discomfort. My drains came out yesterday ( try to avoid booking a surgery so close to a long weekend) and I had my first shower. The girls look beautiful ( though we'll see how much of that is from swelling). Even in this surgical bra I can feel rhrm jiggle, and I'll tell you it's been 7 years since I have felt like I might have real breasts again. My pecs are settling back down and really that's the real reason for this surgery. Once I'm allowed to use my full range of motion again, I'll update you on how've great it will feel to not have my pecs clamping down on implants every time I cough, roll over in bed, close a window, lift weights ... etc

They are a bit heavier this way though my PS tells me I won't have to wear a bra all the time once I'm recovered. Phew!

I think there will come a time when I will thank God I had this surgery, but truly I had forgotten how unfun surgical recovery is.

..... sorry for all the typos. Annoying phone issues.

• Crescent5
    Options

4 week PO, and I love them. 😍 They look like real breasts. They move. They're starting to soften up. When I bend over, they slump appropriately. My pecs are starting to feel better, and they are in the right place. I very carefully closed a window yesterday, and I didn't have that disgusting feeling.

Last night I took off my sports bra for an hour, and had no pain. No heaviness. They moved like real boobies. ❤️ I still wear a light bra to bed at night, but I'm looking forward to total topless.

I do have some very light ripples. I did not have fat grafting, and if this is all the rippling I get, I won't have FG at all. I suspect I'll see more though. But really, these girls are a 9.5 (out of 10) and before they were a 4 at best (3 points for looking good in clothes).

Recovery has been ok. I have no desire to see the inside of an OR again for a long time. But I'm really glad I went through with this one

Edit to answer questions ... went from 400 ccs to 520s. Alloderm covering entire implant.

• Feline
    Feline Member Posts: 3
    Options

Did the fat grafting take? Stay in place?

• Feline
    Options

Yikes! I thought revision surgery wouldn't require drains! I had prophylactic bilateral mastectomies 10 years ago and just found out one has ruptured. So, I need to replace both. Was thinking of having them not put sub-pec again as I don't like the feel of it. How was the recovery pain wise and how long until you can work out?

• Crescent5
    Options

Hi Feline,

Yeah the drains sucked, but since they use alloderm to hold the implants in place, you need drains. It wasn't awful, just annoying.

Overall recovery wasn't fun, but I am really glad I did it. I'm looking forward to using my pecs the way I used to 8 years ago. My PS had said recovery would be between the mastectomy and the exchange surgery. I'd say that's probably close. The first week was uncomfortable, and every few days things get better. She said at 6 weeks post op I should be able to return to everything I did before, but I'm going to take it slower than that.

I didn't have fat grafting I might in the future but right now they're so beautiful I don't need or want it.

Since you have to have surgery anyway, I'd jump at this opportunity to go prepec Just make sure your PS is good at it.Good luck!

• Feline
    Options

I just found out about the rupture so I need to do my due diligence in finding someone in my area who has experience. Where did you have your surgery/

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756
    Options

Hi feline. Look at the other Prepectoral Implant Reconstruction thread. There is a nationwide list of PS's doing Prepectoral Reconstruction.

Topic: TE/Implant OVER pectoral Can exercise, comfortable &NO RIPPLES!

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

• Crescent5
    Options

8 weeks out today. I truly believe this was one of the best decisions I ever made These breasts are much more natural looking (no question) and they move like real breasts. My pecs feel so much better though not fully healed yet. All restrictions were lifted last week. I am me again.

Details for those how are interested ... the original implants were 70% under the muscle. My left side was always sort of clenched and the implant never dropped. It sat very high thus the skin below started sagging. It looked gross. Right side upper pole was nearly flattened by my muscle. Both implants had gravitated toward my armpits causing pain in the pits and inner arms. Both breasts looked deformed.

She removed the 400s and put in 520s. The skin was stretched and I've gained some weight in the past 7 years, so this was appropriate. And stunning I might add 😃 I keep looking at them. They're beautiful. Did I mention they move??

She was spot on about recovery ... about 2 and a half weeks of discomfort and the rest is history. $13 Avia sports bras from Walmart for recovery and Maidenform Comfort Underwire starting about a week ago. Even with IMF incisions, underwire is the most comfortable for me.

Now I feel I can close this chapter. Thank you for these threads. Good luck if you're considering this revision. Surgery is never easy.

• veggal
    Options

Yay Crescent5!  It will only get better as time goes on as well!  Enjoy!

• Crescent5
    Options

bump for Randi64

• Randi64
    Randi64 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Thank you Crescent! I am scheduled for the prepectoral from subpectoral 2 weeks from today. Is it definite that i will have drains? Very nervous about another surgery!

• Crescent5
    Options

hi Randi 😃 I understand the nerves. Honestly it wasn't bad. I was so excited to get this done that I was happy to walk myself into the OR and I hate drains but yes I had them. They weren't that bad. I had alloderm so I had to have them. I wore a really bulky sundress to hide them.

I'm not trying to be a perv but I snapped a cleavage shot this am. That might give you motivation to put up with those drains for a week. If it's ok I'll post it here as it may help others decide ...

• Crescent5
    Options

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    Options

^ nice cleavage!

• Crescent5
    Options

thank you hapa! The red marks are just because I had been sleeping on my stomach. I still can't believe how natural they look.

• gracem1
    gracem1 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hello all!

I know this is last-minute As I’m seeing my doctor tomorrow but if any of you get this message and can give me some guidance, I’d greatly appreciate it.

I had my switch from sub pec to pre-pec and although the function is much better, they look awful! My surgeon was very new to the technique. I have ALOT of ripping (7-8 across from each breas). When I asked him about fat grafting he said it’s like Botox and won’t last and left me with all the rippling. I’m quite upset. I know that fat grafting is quite common with a pre-pectoral procedure but he just brushed me off. I also woke up two sizes bigger than I wanted with no explanation. I asked to go smaller and he said I would have two new scars an anchor scar on top of my horizontal scar.

Have any of you ladies experienced extreme rippling like this (picture enclosed). If so did you have fat grafting? Did it work? Did it last? I really don’t want to have another surgery but I also don’t want to be left like this. Did anyone go smaller with a horizontal scar? How were they able to do it?image

I hope some of you get this message before my appointment tomorrow morning.

Thanks ladies 🙏🏽 Have a great night.

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    Options

I am sorry I have. Ot has this done yet. I would strongly recommend asking him about compressions and what bra to wear while the skin recovers. It needs to lay properly and that probably recovers wearing a bra 24 hours a day for awhile.

Do you live where you can consult another PS about fat grafting? Each surgeon has their own specialties and limitations.. I am going to have to travel to have my implants moved to the top.

Regarding fat grafting I have had it done but did not notice any difference. I was told I would need to do multiple sessions to get any kind of layers and if I weifht it would all be absorbes.

I did get some fat necrosis from my only treatment and it scared me so I had to have an ultrasound to make sure it wasn't cancer. Luckily it was a globule of fat. I didn't want to go under anesthesia again so I decided to just stay with what I had. I am sorry I don't have more information.

• Crescent5
    Options

gracem1 get a consult with another PS! I wouldn't let that jerk touch me again. Go to your appt today to get a referral to another dr. This guy sucks. He won't do fat grafting because he's inexperienced.

Some of them have a wonderful way of bullshitting a patient to cover up for their own lack of talent. Get another dr You do not have to look or live like that. Don't worry about hurting his feelings. He made $ off that and you have to live with it.

Edited to add: ypu would need a lot of fat grafting to cover those ripples. =

I didn't have fat grafting and I look good because my surgeon is good. I've had FG in the past, and it's not bad.

My prepec breasts 3 months post op no fat grafting ...image

• CaliRN
    CaliRN Member Posts: 28
    Options

you look amazing! So beautiful and natural.

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    Options

crescent your outcome is amazing. I should see if your ps is on my insurance . It would be worth it to.fly to get that outcome. could you PM me the surgeon

• Crescent5
    Options

Thank you ladies! Every day I'm amazed at how great these look. My surgeon is Dr Therese K White at Plastic and Hand in South Portland Maine. PM me if you want any more details.

Good luck everyone.

Gracem how did the appt go

• Randi64
    Randi64 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Crescent5, you look absolutely amazing! I only pray I can come close. Surgery is this Friday for me!

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    Options

grace,

There has to be something your PS (or a different PS) can do to fix that rippling. What type of implant did you get? I hope you find some answers. My pre pec implantis much smaller and I went with round. They don’t sag and while I have some rippling it’s not really visible.

• Crescent5
    Options

Randi good luck tomorrow! It's really not that bad. Just wait until they jiggle again!