Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Miracle 6 months after diagnosis

Options
12346»

Comments

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited October 2019
    Options

Pebbles, I’m curious. Did your doctors know that your two positive nodes were positive before they were removed?

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited October 2019
    Options

Lori - thank you! I feel elated. I feel like it's a new lease on life. And I'm going to keep up my healthier eating habits and exercise! I may PM you for some advice along the way.

Marijen - only when they were removed. Surgeon wanted to do a full axillary node dissection after that but was very honest about a 40% risk of lymphedema. I declined based on these studies I found, and the fact that I knew I would be undergoing radiation and tamoxifen treatment. Plus, manage with nutrition and exercise as well, which is my way of doing what I can to prevent recurrence. The radiologist treated my nodes as well during radiation therapy, and while there was a 15% risk of lymphedema with that, I was OK with that level risk (like I said, every decision is made based on your own personal risk benefit scenario). You can't get your nodes back if they are surgically removed. You can always strengthen what's still there. Today, I am playing tennis, swimming, dancing and doing weights and yoga as I did not get lymphedema, and I'm cancer-free! So I have no regrets on the decision I made.

At the end of the day, I think we all just need to make the decision that is right for us personally, just be educated about it, and feel good going in, and take it one day at a time from there. And also respect other people's decisions, even if they are different from ours.

Anyways, here are some of the studies that I found (and shared with my medical team) which ultimately helped with my decision to not do the full axillary node dissection.

If you want a quick 30-second read, this one sums it up best:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/breast-cancer/treatment/breast-cancer-you-really-need-your-lymph-nodes-removed/

"Half of the women in the study had only a few lymph nodes removed (sentinel lymph node dissection) from under the underarm, while the other half had a large number of lymph nodes removed, a procedure known as axillary lymph node dissection. But after 10 years of follow-up, both groups had similar rates of disease recurrence and survival."

The actual studies I found at the time:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2653737

"These findings do not support the use of axillary lymph node dissection when metastases are found with sentinel lymph node sampling in women with cT1-2M0 breast cancer."

"At a median follow-up of 9.3 years (interquartile range, 6.93-10.34 years), the 10-year overall survival was 86.3% in the SLND alone group and 83.6% in the ALND group (HR, 0.85 [1-sided 95% CI, 0-1.16]; noninferiority P = .02). The 10-year disease-free survival was 80.2% in the SLND alone group and 78.2% in the ALND group (HR, 0.85 [95% CI, 0.62-1.17]; P = .32)."

(higher survival and disease-free survival in the SLND - aka Sentinel Node Dissection - groups!)

"Ten years of follow-up confirm that women with 1 or 2 positive sentinel nodes and clinical T1 or T2 tumors undergoing lumpectomy with whole-breast irradiation and systemic therapy experience no worse local control, disease-free survival, or overall survival with elimination of ALND. Application of these findings in clinical practice has the potential to avoid the morbidity of ALND without diminution of survival outcomes in 61% to 83% of women with these characteristics.19,26 The routine use of ALND for all patients with positive sentinel nodes is no longer justified based on these 10-year overall survival results."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21304082

"Among patients with limited SLN metastatic breast cancer treated with breast conservation and systemic therapy, the use of SLND alone compared with ALND did not result in inferior survival."

Now what's interesting is this study JUST came out on BreastCancer.org echoing basically the same thing, but this data wasn't available to me when I made my decision.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/outcome-same-for-early-bc-tx-w-node-rx-or-sx

This echoes why I strongly believe you have to do your own research, which includes but is not limited to talking to your medical team, and then make the best decision for yourself.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wow you really did your homework Pebbles. But I for one could not be comfortable not knowing if they’re weren’t more positive nodes regardless of the studies. But that is just me. Did they at least do imaging of your armpit, like an MRI? I hope so. You dhould post all that info at the new topic, Should I get an ALND?

• PurpleHair
    PurpleHair Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi lovely souls....I recently went to personally check out the Hoxsey treatment in Mexico. It was an amazing journey I am honored to share with you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09uKW_nLU50&t=7s

next part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBu5kal-IvU&t=44s

next part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGpls4Y9pU

Have heart and hope that you can heal holistically!

• pipers_dream
    pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
    edited October 2019
    Options

And once again I must remind people that this is the alternative forum and if you don’t agree with what’s being posted then please don’t. Just don’t. This is the sort of thing that scares people away from posting on this forum and people are afraid to speak their truth for fear of being shut down. It’s why I don’t come around all that often anymore.

We all have a choice on here and some of us are not choosing conventional care. Cancer is hard enough without being lambasted by people who drop into a forum that they don’t agree with.

• pebblesv
    edited October 2019
    Options

marijen - To answer your question, yes, they did a full CT scan as well after they discovered the positive nodes. Luckily everything came out clear, but I have to say, the diagnostics and waiting game was probably the hardest part of this journey for me. The not knowing was actually more difficult than having answers and having an action plan. So, while it was a nerve-wrecking thing getting a full MRI and CT scan, in hindsight I'm glad for those extra tests and diagnostics as it strengthened my chosen path, and also I got more support from my oncologist and radiologist on my choices with all the clear scans too. Not a bad idea to maybe do a new topic on ALND vs. sentinel and share my learnings / experience! When I have time... feel free to PM me if you have more questions. I'm feeling very, very good about my decision today as I just got a clear mammogram and clean bill of health from the hospital! I know it's a long-term fight and journey, but today, just over a year after this all began, is good.

What did you do by the way in terms of treatment and diagnosis etc.? There's nothing listed in your profile...

purplehair - welcome back, and hope you are doing well in the path you've chosen!

pipers_dream - totally agree, I think we should all just support one another on these forums vs. judge, and learn from people's different experiences and different paths they've chosen. Like I've said again and again, I think the important thing is to do your research, understand your own personal risk/benefit scenario, make your decision for yourself accordingly. I support both those who choose an alternative path and those who choose all the traditional treatments and those who are somewhere in-between (I'm part of the latter group). If anything, I would say just be fully, fully informed vs. blindly following a path. And if you are informed and OK with the risks and benefits of the path you've chosen, that is the best, move forward feeling confident that you can do it!

I just want all of us to get through this with as little side effects as possible, whatever path we choose, and still have a chance to feel like ourselves.

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    edited October 2019
    Options

Totally agree with you Piper....we need to support eachother here no matter what thread we are writing on. Ultimately our decision is just that....OUR decision and people need to respect that I strongly believe. My decision will probably not be right for the next person because cancer isn't the same in all of us. Very thankful for this forum....I agree though it isn't fun being bashed for saying something someone doesn't agree with. Have a wonderful evening everyone!

• rosiecat
    rosiecat Member Posts: 1,190
    edited October 2019
    Options

PebblesV, whilst I decided to take the conventional route I completely agree with your comment regarding being fully informed. Women absolutely must research before they commit to any particular path. Do not rely on doctors alone, they are not without there own prejudices. Chemotherapy can have serious and permanent side effects. It can also kill, as I know realise. Had my cancer, (triple negative metaplastic) been less aggressive I would have chosen surgery alone. If my cancer returns, would I go through chemotherapy again? I don't know for sure, but probably not.

Good luck to everyone here who has chosen an alternative route.

Gill

• pebblesv
    edited October 2019
    Options

Rosiecat 100% agree and thank you for your note! We all owe it to ourselves to do our own research and take all that into account, including but not limited to what our doctor's say. We should all just be eyes wide open on the treatments we are choosing to take, the potential benefit, and the potential side effects, as many of them can be permanent. If we are OK with the risk of side effects, that is fine. If we are not OK with the risk of side effects and choose to do something else, that is also fine. As long as we understand what we are signing up for as we are the ones that have to live with the effects of it all.

Hope you're doing well, and good luck to all who have chosen a conventional or alternative or integrated (somewhere in-between) route.