Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

List of all of the Side Effects I deal with that wreak my QOL

Options

Comments

• rubyredslippers
    rubyredslippers Member Posts: 94
    Options

"Beesie wrote: rubyred, you are obviously referring to me in your post when you say "I don't think every member of this forum has had breast cancer. I think that sometimes people join to push an agenda" and "Only someone who's never had bc would be clinical and detached every time they post". You'd already said that you think I work for a drug company and now, while not mentioning me by name, you are quoting what I said in my response to your earlier comment."

I was referring to posts I've read in this thread and other threads and another member who contacted me privately before I even looked at this thread – similar to you with no diagnosis, and said things that didn't sound to me like someone who'd had breast cancer. It was the first time that I had considered that just because someone is a member here, doesn't mean that they are here because they actually had breast cancer, and hence here for the reasons that most of us would be here. Then your posts seem really strange, like all medical advice, graphs – almost like you're here in the same way a MO might be on the board of a bc charity – to supposedly offer advice, yet ensure that a certain line is towed – certain agendas are kept and we're all kept in line. I said you may or may not be – of course there is no way of knowing is there? I'm saying I'm suspicious of you. I have bothered to read your other posts. That's why I'm suspicious.

"I have over 9,700 posts on this board over 14 years. I'm analytical by nature and I'm a research junkie, and that's reflected in how I post. You don't like my posting style? Well, you're not the first and won't be the last, but then I have received 100s of PMs over the years from people who thank me for providing fact-based information. And if you made any effort to look at my posts outside of this particular thread, you would see that I have shared my fears, I have vented anger, I have talked about aspects of my life in relation to breast cancer (I've discussed starting a new relationship and getting married after my BC diagnosis and MX), I've shared personal experiences and provided anecdotes (I've talked quite a bit about the other illnesses in my family, including prostate cancer among the men, which I even mentioned in a post in this thread). In threads where it would be helpful to the OP, I have shared information about my breast health history (which started with my first surgical biopsy at age 16), my diagnosis and how I reached my treatment decisions. Perhaps before taking a shot at me you should have bothered to do just the tiniest bit of reading/research. "You have been on this site since 2008 and have 179 posts. Almost every post is a vent, voicing your anger about some aspect of your treatment or your doctors or the breast cancer community"

First things first – I had not looked at how many posts you had – when you pointed this out, my first thought was wow, that's even more suspicious. Maybe anyone could make that many posts, but I'm commenting on how much time you spend here, and how motivated you are to post – seemingly mainly about medical based opinion and advice. Sure, some people like that. If I want medical advice, I'll ask my doctors thanks – one that I trust.

I can only see your recent posts, as you can only see my recent posts – your recent posts aren't venting any anger, they seem to me to be defending MO, drug trials and giving out medical advice and information. Sorry – I'm going on what I can see. You say though that you have vented anger – and how many of your 9700 posts have vented anger? Let's say 179 of them? I haven't vented anger in that many posts because that's my total number. As for "almost every post is ..." What rubbish. I seem to recall that when I had a recurrence, I was asking questions and asking for advice. I also then talked a lot about suicidal ideation and major depression. I recall two posts recently where I provided advice and also reached out to someone who was struggling with the stress that Xmas can add. I have vented and expressed anger too. Anger and frustration are normal feelings in regard to bc - especially when it returns. Perhaps a drug company can find a way to make more money out of that?

Women like me, and MAC, should be corrected if we express anger, frustration and our mistrust of MO's and drug companies? We should be here all day, racking up tens of thousands of posts, dispensing our invaluable advice and endorsing MO and drug companies? No thanks. I reluctantly came back to this forum, thanks to bc. I come here to get support from other's who understand, and talk about stuff that women who haven't had bc can't relate to and don't want to hear. Most of us know that we can't "vent" our feelings and talk about our experiences in the real world. We all have our own agenda don't we …

I find your choice of words here interesting "the breast cancer community" – who are you referring to? The charities that sexualize and glamorize bc? I'm genuinely confused by who you're talking about, but if this is who you mean, they're not my community. They're doing more harm than good. Refer to Samantha King's Pink Ribbons Inc. for more thought on that – oh hang on, that's just opinion, so it's not a reliable source of information. We shouldn't think and have opinions – nor should we vent.

"Now you are going after other members of this site. I get that you are angry, but that doesn't give you free rein to go after people just because they've posted something you don't agree with. While you may find venting on this site to be cathartic, if you have not already done so, perhaps talking to a therapist to deal with your anger over your breast cancer experience might be helpful as well."

Yep and I felt like crap about it too, because in the years I've been here I have never done that – but after a recent private message (from someone else), and looking through your posts, it's the first time I've actually felt suspicious of the motives of a member here. I have never had cause to think that before. I'm not going "after members of this site". I expressed an opinion. It's an opinion – may or may not be right. But I find you very suspicious. As for venting – how do you know I don't talk to a therapist? I mentioned having talked to a therapist who made jokes about me and my dad dying of bc, and also told me that my cancer would definitely return again – implying that I'd die – increasing my mistrust of the bc industry, and adding to my trauma. So, telling me to just rack off and talk to a therapist isn't really helpful. I'm venting anger – like many women, that's why I'm a member of this forum. Because the real world isn't a safe place to vent. We're not listened to, we're corrected and told to just be positive. Or we see a psycho oncologist, who adds to our anger and fears. I'll vent here. I won't be told I can't do that.

Here's the comment that prompted my "accusations" and the truth behind it.

"I do find anecdotes and one time incidents to be interesting (such as the fact that 25 years ago one doctor out of thousands involved with NSABP trials was found to have falsified data), but a sample of 1 just doesn't cut it compared to research studies with 100s and often 1000s of patients."

Excuse me? One doctor out of thousands? Isnt one doctor enough? And as for saying he was the only one – how do you know that? He may have been the only one who got caught – during this time and who was involved in these trials! I'm sure this kind of thing goes on far more than anyone realizes. Even so, one doctor behaving fraudulently - why? Probably because a drug company was paying him. Ever heard the saying "money is the root of all evil"? it's not money itself that's evil – there's nothing wrong with having money. It's the pursuit of money regardless of how you treat or harm others that's evil. I think that this is a pretty good example of that. How many women based their decisions on this falsified, drug company agenda false data? How many women may have gone on to be harmed due to it? It's like De Lee was saying, it's just not acceptable that women's health is being harmed, or women are dying, in order that a drug company is making money. It's important that women are presented with the real facts and figures, not skewed misleading information that sees them scrambling to take a very dangerous drug – that's not a quote. That's me talking about what he was saying – did you not read his counter to the tamoxifen ad he quotes in his book (I'm not making it up – it's all there for anyone to read) as deliberately misleading women, and distorting the facts in order that their drug sells. Oh that's right, it goes against big pharma, so he can't be telling the truth – the lies aren't lies after all? Give me a break. "A sample of 1 just doesn't cut it" – I think it cuts enough. 1 is bad enough. Add that to the other falsehoods and distortions and I think we have enough evidence to say "I smell a rat" and start to think for ourselves a little …

"I do find anecdotes and one time incidents to be interesting"

Sorry but you sound like some of the arrogant agenda driven cancer industry professionals I've encountered. This is just so condescending and strange. Please explain how you know that anything is a "one time incident"?

"This thread was started by macb04 as a place to talk about her personal experiences. Unfortunately the discussion veered into stats and data, and I have trouble staying away when the discussion moves there, particularly if the stats and data are wrong or misunderstood. But I will exit here and leave the thread so that the focus returns to macb04's concerns."

Ok, so you've admitted here that MAC was talking about her personal experience but "unfortunately veered into stats and data" so you had trouble staying away. The stats and data you are referring to was MAC stating factual information about drug companies and their agenda. Here it is again:

Who's not among the top 10 cancer drug developers in the world by sales? Some surprisingly big names, such as AbbVie, Biogen Idec, GlaxoSmithKline, Sanofi, and Pfizer. Of course, Pfizer's luck could change with the possible approval of palbociclib.

But, even more high-profile names are left out of the top three. Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck, AstraZeneca, Eli Lilly, Johnson & Johnson, and Celgene make up spots nine through four. Combined, these six companies were responsible for $24.4 billion in cancer drug sales in 2013. Yet, the No. 1 company on the list sold more oncology drugs than these six companies combined!

Three companies responsible for half of all global cancer drug sales
    Here's a breakdown of the three companies that controlled roughly half of all cancer drug sales in 2013.

No. 3: Novartis (NYSE:NVS): $8.6 billion in total oncology drug sales
    Novartis' appearance on this list probably shouldn't be a huge surprise as it's been a cancer drug powerhouse for quite some time. In 2013, it counted on chronic myeloid leukemia drug Gleevec (known as Glivec overseas) for nearly $4.7 billion in global sales, but also relied on Sandostatin (for acromegaly) and Afinitor (breast cancer) for $1.6 billion and $1.3 billion in global sales.

No. 2: Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN): $11.9 billion in total oncology drug sales
    Surprised by Amgen's ranking? Don't be, as the company has a long history of supportive cancer care therapies. Neulasta (known as Neupogen overseas), is a roughly $6 billion per year drug designed to stimulate white blood cell growth for patients currently undergoing chemotherapy. Aranesp is responsible for another $2 billion in annual sales.

No. 1: Roche (OTC:RHHBY): $25.4 billion in total oncology drug sales
    Sitting atop the list of annual cancer drug sales is Swiss-based Roche, which generated more than one quarter of all oncology drug sales in 2013 by itself! But, should we really be surprised with Roche currently possessing a clinical pipeline that's more than 100 trials deep, of which around 60 of those studies are for cancer indications? I'm not shocked one bit!

This seemed to really get you riled up. Why?? That's what I'm talking about – you seem to be motivated to defend drug companies and trials – even when evidence is presented that these companies would rather not see the light of day. Facts are facts as you say, but as soon as facts are presented that show drug companies as less than honest, and perhaps chasing $ over human life, you burr up. I'm prepared to listen – I think that drug companies would stop at nothing to make money – why do you spend so much time and energy defending them? I'm sure lots of money and time is invested in keeping certain things covered up. I would put nothing past these people in terms of what things they might do in order to keep their message out there, and try to discredit anyone telling the truth. I'm sure it's going on in all sorts of ways … Thank you Dr. John Lee for your integrity.

'But I will exit here and leave the thread so that the focus returns to macb04's concerns."

So why didn't you? Why the lurking?

• rubyredslippers
    Options

MinusTwo wrote:

Here's another long time member who said I was leaving this thread, but....

"Ruby, of course you are safe to say whatever you want, however - I also believe you should NOT impugn others - disputing the truth, validity or honesty of their statements. You don't "know" these people. Although you may have joined in 2008, you haven't been interacting with any of us on a regular basis, nor seen how many people have been comforted, encouraged or helped to understand the hills & valleys of this bewildering disease

To post your own thoughts & feelings is OK. To snipe at others, not so much. Get out of attack mode. Give it a rest. Try to find someone who can help you deal with your issues."

Minus two – I'm not in attack mode. In case you'd forgotten, this is supposed to be a place where people that have had bc can talk about their feelings and experiences, amongst other things. "Give it a rest" – this thread is to talk about stuff which has negatively impacted on our QOL. Why should I 'give it a rest'? If you don't want to talk about this topic, why don't you leave? Why are you here? As for my "issues" – wow! When I think of my feelings about bc, here's what I find – anger, fear, sadness, frustration, tiredness, and feeling misunderstood – as like most of us, I now have to live in a world full of women who don't understand, and don't want to understand. I'm here to talk about those feelings, as after going through the personal crisis and trauma that is bc, we all have "issues" – and big ones like ptsd. Bc isn't for everyone, it's not a game and it's not pink and pretty. It's really hard. I'm not going to cop being told I have "issues" like that's something I should be ashamed of – that's not what this forum is about. If I want to be told to go away and sort out my issues, I'll talk to women who haven't had bc.

Saying I find someone on here suspicious is not an issue. It's an opinion. You can agree or disagree, but it's not an issue. Do you think that drug co. employees (who someone may or may not be) or doctors don't get breast cancer? There's another thought. You're using words to try to belittle, and it's not working. I admit to anyone how bc, and what I've been through, women who sexualiise bc etc, makes me feel. I'm not going to be told that anger isn't a valid emotion, it's just an "issue" that you need to be ashamed of and work hard to correct.

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    Options

Well I am stuck back in a hotel room again. This is when I have too much time and spend way too much time here. And get myself in trouble. I have been here since 2013 and struggle with why I stay here. I learn so much and hope I offer a bit to others. But I also fear the response of others. I deal with politicians, Chiefs and racists all the time in my work but the harsh and judgmental words of other women here hurts me the most. I hate that women can be so polarizing. I have to wonder if any other cancer has the same problem. We need each other so much. We have so much in common. But I always ponder why we have to agree. Let’s just disagree. Let’s just agree to disagree. I struggle to understand the rules. I will be brutally honest here. I have gone on threads to challenge the OP with the kindest and best intentions only to be chastised. I have created a thread and no one agreed with me, the OP. I don’t understand the rules. Is the OP to simply be supported or can we have a mature and knowledgeable discussion. It differs depending upon the hallway monitors. This leads to confusion and disrespect. This actually becomes lateral violence and leaves everyone feeling unsafe. I think we should stick to threads where we can be supportive. We can disagree but we need to be respectful. Perhaps a thread is needed to define that

• redhead403
    redhead403 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Marijen I have run into a RO like that. I hate to be dismissed by docs are like that. I don't give up. Hate to see that happen to laypeople

(RN here, still working)

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

Thank you redhead, I appreciate that.

Rubyred, the mods deleted two of your posts on Jan 2. I wonder why?

• marijen
    Options

Thank you redhead, I appreciate that.

Rubyred, the mods deleted one of your posts on Jan 2. I wonder why?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

rubyred,

Like all on bco, I am free to lurk or not and post or not. I sincerely respect everyone’s right to do so but being clearer about who should/shouldn’t post, in the op or thread title, in a thread might help limit unwanted posts. I consider beesie to be friend and a valued contributor to bco. It hurt me to read baseless allegations leveled against her. Blocking me or others who upset you is an option as well. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is argue. Wishing you peace.

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    Options

Just argue. I am outa here. My point proven. I am so very sad.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Hello All,

We understand that the intention of this thread is to vent and converse about personal experiences with treatments that have adversely affected quality of life. The intention of BCO is to provide a platform for venting, as well as for informative and supportive discussion. We kindly ask that differing styles, experiences and opinions be respected. Everyone here is managing their breast cancer experience uniquely.

Side note: If you would prefer not to have diagnostic or treatment information public to others, you can adjust this under "settings". If you need additional assistance, please reach out to us.

Thank you,

The Mods

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    Options
    This thread is obviously meant for Mac and ruby red to commiserate about the “evil”
    BC industry and all those doctors out to ruin people’s lives. Let’s leave them to it.
  • rubyredslippers
    Options

marijen are you referring to these two posts because nothing else has been deleted. The top post was posted by moderators - not me. They’d asked if any of us would be interested in completing a survey about medical cannabis that was only open to certain members. They’ve now deleted that.

My post directly underneath answered them with a question about why the survey wasn’t open to everyone. You’ll notice it was deleted by me - not moderators. My question wasn’t answered so I deleted it.

Things aren’t always what they seem ...

Be careful.

• marijen
    Options

Good I’m glad they deleted it. Anyone who thinks cannabis will solve the long term effects of bc treatment is delusional.

• moderators
    Options

marijen, just to clarify, the purpose of the survey is to assess attitudes and experiences with medical cannabis.

• rubyredslippers
    Options

I'm not delusional. I don't think that chemicals and drug companies are the answer - immunotherapy that works with our immune system is a great example. I think that any natural substance that has the potential to help millions of people is worth investing in and ought to be taken very seriously. Olivia Newton John is using it and says nothing but good things. Let's hope we can start to find some honest answers

• marijen
    Options

All I’m saying is it won’t fix the damage and pain. Just cover it up for a while.

• moderators
    Options

marijen, please feel free to share your opinions and/or experiences in the survey: https://survey.us.confirmit.com/wix/0/p3094200670....

Also, feel free to read our content on the topic here: Medical Marijuana

You will see it is within our section called "complementary medicine techniques".

• marijen
    Options

Very funny SillyHeart

• rubyredslippers
    Options

If it genuinely helps without causing other serious health issues, and doesn't ruin QOL but rather enhances QOL, it should be explored as an exciting discovery.

I would hope that when medical cannabis is legalised and fully sanctioned, it remains in good hands. It's able to be produced cheaply and doesn't become a pharmaceutical company item. Anything natural and free will meet with resistance as it threatens the cancer industry $ train.

• peaches1
    peaches1 Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi Rubyred- Under search you can enter the members name, and find all of the posts the person has made. I did that and was able to read all of your posts. It sounds like you had a bad experience with a therapist. In dealing with your PTSD you can try either emdr or neurofeedback, although I don't know if neurofeedback is available where you live. I've been through PTSD, and I know how awful it can be. The emdr did not work for me because I had problems focusing with my eyes, but it is much more available. The neurofeedback gave me back my life, but I had to do it for three months before I felt lots better. The emdr works a lot faster. Until you deal with the PTSD you are not going to feel comfortable discussing your problems with a therapist.. I had to fight with my insurance company to cover the neurofeedback. I am just giving you the information, and you can do what you want with it.

• rubyredslippers
    Options

Thanks Peaches1. I really appreciate your help. I'll start exploring that option

• peaches1
    Options

Medical cannabis has been available in Illinois for at least four years. You have to be approved by a doctor, and at the cancer center I go to they will not approve it unless you are stage 4. It is not legal in all states. I know Tom Brokaw has homes in both NY and Florida, and it is not legal in Florida. He has found it helpful with his cancer, but he is frustrated that it is not readily accessible in Florida. In Illinois pot just became legal on January 1st, and there is actually a pot store 4 blocks from where I live. But there is a limit on where you can smoke it. You can smoke it in your home, but you are not allowed to smoke it out in the open. The Governor of Illinois just erased convictions for 11,000 people who were found guilty of pot possession previously..

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

1. I think Beesies detailed knowledge of the trials and data is a clear indication she is not a dr, none of my drs. were that thorough, lol.

2. I can't believe Illinois beat NJ!! lol

Sorry, wanted to inject some humor into this very intense thread. I do sympathize greatly with all concerned.

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756
    Options

I feel each of us has the right to believe as they want, say what they want. That covers my right to deplore the dark ages treatment, and the unnecessary cruelties that went along with it.

I really wish it wasn't a complete crapshoot over whether or not you get a competent and considerate health care team. We all deserve that, unfortunately it is not something we all get.

I am going to give everyone posting here the benefit of the doubt, that they have gone through the bc "treatment", as it is too disheartening to think otherwise.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    Options

beesie, I want to join the others in thanking you for all the good information you provide. Your posts have given me more information, comfort and encouragement than almost anything else. I have encouraged other bc pts on another site to read your posts re: questions they have b/c you have a way of explaining things that is clear and evidenced based. I’m relatively new here, but I expect I’ll be reading your posts for a long time. Thanks again for all your research and knowledge

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    Options

This is from the Sarcastic Boob blog that I thought had a meaningful thought.

Cancer is the one thing that we can't escape. It's in our bodies or in our minds all of the time. If you're a "survivor," you don't know that your safe. And if you have MBC, you never know what the next scan will show. We have a lot of ways to deal with that: we have our friends, we have blogs and Facebook groups that can give us information and/or support, and then we have the choice to turn it off. Each of these has a time and place, and the road isn't always smooth by any means. But if we start to dig a hole for ourselves with only one choice, we're going to die down there. Alone and miserable. And isn't having cancer bad enough?

• macb04
    Options

I agree that bc is something that is with us always, once we have gone through it.

I do however disagree that there is only one way, the cheerful upbeat way, to get through it. My way is sometimes concretely helpful, like on my reconstruction thread. Other times I lay all the misery and unjustice out for all to see.

I will never be one of the cheerleaders of the bc industry. I don't believe in the competence of it. Seeing what should have happened to me and others, and what really happened, is too great a disparity that I will never be able to reconcile. Doesn't matter if my view is dismissed. My viewpoint is as valid as any others .

We shall have to agree to disagree.

• macb04
    Options

I am posting this here about IV Vitamin C and Human Cancer Treatment. I paid to have IV Vitamin C out of pocket for the many infections and other problems inflicted by the bc industry. I wish my insurance would have paid for something safe and helpful like IV Vitamin C.

This research article comes from European Pubmed.. Some of the research is older, but some is only 2 years old.

https://europepmc.org/article/MED/30190680

Logo of frontphysiol

PMC full text:Front Physiol. 2018; 9: 1182.

Published online 2018 Aug 23. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2018.01182

Copyright/LicenseRequest permission to reuse

Table 5

Summary of the effects of IVC administration in clinical studies.

TreatmentsStudy typesCancer typesFindingsReference
    Vitamin C administered alone
    Oral and/or IVC 0.5–30 g/d daily for durationCase controlsAdvanced cancerImproved quality of life
    Decreased need for narcotics
    Increased survival
    Cameron and Campbell, 1974, 1991; Cameron and Pauling, 1976, 1978; Murata et al., 1982
    IVC 10–200 g/d one to four times per week for 2–4 weeksSingle armsAdvanced cancerNo serious adverse events
    Improved quality of life
    Decreased pro-inflammatory biomarkers
    Yeom et al., 2007; Hoffer et al., 2008; Mikirova et al., 2012, 2016; Takahashi et al., 2012; Stephenson et al., 2013
    IVC 60 g/d once a week for 12 weeksSingle armProstate cancerNo decrease in PSA
    No disease remission
    Nielsen et al., 2017
    Vitamin C administered with chemotherapy
    IVC 75–100 g/d two times per week for 12 monthsRCTOvarian cancer with carboplatin, paclitaxelDecreased chemotherapy-related organ toxicity and adverse events
    Minimal effect on survival
    Minimal change in time to disease relapse/progression
    Ma et al., 2014
    IVC 3.5–5.6 g/70 kg/d daily for 9 daysRCTAcute myeloid leukemia with decitabine, cytarabine, aclarubicinIncreased complete remission after first induction
    Prolonged overall survival
    Comparable side effects
    Zhao et al., 2018
    IVC 50–125 g/d two to three times per week for 2 weeks to 18 monthsSingle armsAdvanced cancer, lymphoma, pancreatic cancer with chemotherapy, or gemcitabine, erlotinibNo serious adverse events
    Improved quality of life
    Decreased oxidative stress biomarkers
    Monti et al., 2012; Welsh et al., 2013; Kawada et al., 2014; Hoffer et al., 2015; Polireddy et al., 2017
    Vitamin C administered with radiation
    IVC 2.5 g/d during increasing painCase controlBone metastasis with palliative radiotherapyDecreased pain
    Increased survival compared with controls and chemotherapy
    Gunes-Bayir and Kiziltan, 2015
    Vitamin C administered with radiation and/or chemotherapy
    IVC 7.5 g/d once per week for at least 4 weeksCase controlBreast cancer with radiotherapy and/or chemotherapyDecreased complaints
    No adverse side effects
    Vollbracht et al., 2011
    IVC 75–87.5 g/d two to three times per week for up to 35 weeksSingle armsGlioblastoma with radiotherapy and temozolomide or non-small-cell lung cancer with carboplatin and paclitaxelExtended median survival
    Stable disease or confirmed partial response
    Schoenfeld et al., 2017
    IVC 15–100 g/d two times per week or less for 12–48 monthsCase reportsAdvanced cancer with or without radiotherapy and chemotherapyRegression/resolution of metastases
    Survival beyond prognosis
    Good quality of life
    Decreased chemotherapy side effects
    No adverse effects
    Riordan et al., 2004; Padayatty et al., 2006; Raymond et al., 2016

IVC, intravenous vitamin C; RCT, randomized controlled trial.

Europe PMC is part of the ELIXIR infrastructure

Europe PMC is an ELIXIR Core Data Resource Learn more >

Europe PMC is a service of the Europe PMC Funders' Group, in partnership with the European Bioinformatics Institute; and in cooperation with the National Center for Biotechnology Information at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NCBI/NLM). It includes content provided to the PMC International archive by participating publishers.

Contact the Helpdesk Visit the blog Leave feedback

Contact Us | Privacy | Terms of Use | Copyright | Accessibility

• peaches1
    Options

If we start digging a hole for ourselves with only one choice, we are going to die down there. I definitely agree with that. I always thoroughly research things before I make a decision. I had a colonoscopy last month and the person that did it did not find any polyps, but found rectal bleeding and found an ulcer on my rectum. I asked him if he was sure that I had no polyps, he said he was almost sure. Every other time I have had a colonoscopy I have had polyps, and I have a really bad family history of colon cancer. I am considering going to somebody else for a second colonoscopy because the morning that I had the last one, I found out that I was not cleaned out enough, and did some more right before they started the colonoscopy. I have to go see him tomorrow, and if he finds more blood in my stool he will order additional tests. I don't enjoy going through colonoscopies, but my Father had a GI specialist that did two colonoscopies on him, and missed the cancer, and he died 7 months later.

• macb04
    Options

I had anemia and low white blood cell number ( neutropenia) when I was being actively poisoned by chemo, so I got as much IV Vitamin C as I could afford. Used up my savings since insurance wouldn't pay for it and the backwards bc industry won't even consider it's use in the US. The onco RN's were really puzzled when my RBC's and WBC's were back up to nearly normal a week after being low. I would just say, that's a real mystery. By that time I already had no trust for the bc industry, but did see an oncology trained Naturopath.

Thank goodness for my Naturopath. I am so grateful for her thorough, research driven care.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://europepmc.org/article/MED/29719430

Curr Oncol. 2018 Apr; 25(2): 139–148.

Published online 2018 Apr 30.doi: 10.3747/co.25.3790

PMCID: PMC5927785

PMID: 29719430

Intravenous vitamin C in the supportive care of cancer patients: a review and rational approach

E. Klimant, MD,* H. Wright, ND,† D. Rubin, ND,† D. Seely, ND MSc,‡ and M. Markman, MD§Author information Copyright and License informationThis article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

This article reviews intravenous vitamin C (IV C) in cancer care and offers a rational approach to enable medical oncologists and integrative practitioners to safely provide IV C combined with oral vitamin C to patients. The use of IV C is a safe supportive intervention to decrease inflammation in the patient and to improve symptoms related to antioxidant deficiency, disease processes, and side effects of standard cancer treatments. A proposed rationale, together with relevant clinical safety considerations for the application of IV C in oncologic supportive care, is provided.

Keywords: Vitamin C deficiency, intravenous vitamin C, ascorbate, supportive care, quality of

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

I agree about the above approaches.

I am a big fan of high dose iV C as well, and credit doing it with a lot of my outcome. I used Hyperbaric Oxygen in addition to C - it amplifies the C.

I also did hyperthermia on my tumor during chemo. It was close to the surface of my skin and easily palpable as was my node. After reading about how vets use hyperthermia externally to shrink tumors, I did homegrown hyperthermia with a very hot hot water bottle. 2-3 x per week during chemo particularly the week before chemo day.

Phytonutrients in a high-produce/ low inflammation diet are also a large benefit. I saw an Integrative Oncologist who put me on an eating, supplement, and exercise regime which included a no-added-sugar diet, interval training on the morning of chemo day. I think this plan helped me avoid some of the nastiest aftereffects of chemo as well as stay strong and fight cancer.