Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

List of all of the Side Effects I deal with that wreak my QOL

Options

Comments

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    Options

thank you Macb for starting this thread. Hopefully, it will help people understand how nothing is what it seems...and can help them make better educated decisions about their health. Nothing will change till, we patients, say NO MORE! And expose the naked emperor....

This is another frightening review—by their own admission—of the current useless and dangerous approval process by the FDA of new drugs. Drugs that are are found to not only not extend overall survival but to be extremely dangerous to our health....

Pharmaceutical companies are so bankrupt regarding real progress, they have to fake results...while charging us exorbitant prices while they poison us.

The FDA's accelerated drug approval program is failing to protect cancer patients

Drug approval is a process that should be and, for the most part, is rooted in rigorous science. However, there is always a countervailing pressure to approve new drugs rapidly, particularly in cancer. That's why the FDA created the accelerated approval program in the early 1990s. Unfortunately, increasingly this approval process appears to be failing us in oncology. Reform is needed.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/category/cancer-c...

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    Options

rubyred, I just do random rebounding. I've thought about checking out a program but havent thus far. It is so fun and I feel so good afterwards!

• Frisky
    Options

Wants to reduce cancer risks or reduce your cancer load?

A bad Year to be a butcher. How low methionine foods might be your best choice.

Basically, a vegetarian diet. Here’s some of the results based on low methionine diet published in Nature. enjoy!

https://youtu.be/5xw5KdgX-Ys

how not to die from cancer

https://youtu.be/0VX_oZBMSd4

• rubyredslippers
    rubyredslippers Member Posts: 94
    Options

Thanks Yogatyme. Me too, I'm going to have a look for some programs and see how they feel

Frisky - you are right. The truth is out there. It's so important that people start realising that things are not always what they seem. I can't remember if it was Dr John Lee who said this or someone else, but I was reading something a while back about when women are experiencing really debilitating side effects that their body is trying to tell them that something is terribly wrong. Also to understand that drug companies aren't honest and making money is their focus.

• Frisky
    Options

I admire your courage and intelligence Rubyredslippers in dealing with the agents provocateurs that seem to show up, usually out of nowhere, with an ardent desire to attack dissidents and defend the status quo...to silence or diminish the horrendous truth about the current failing BC treatment options, or lack thereof....

How can we make a change, if we sheepishly let ourselves be quietly lead into the slaughterhouses? while they’re busy rubbing and bankrupting us?

Medicare for all? Forget about it, not in a million years while 50% of the current American population will be diagnosed with a terminal disease in their lifetime...and that is if an heart attack doesn't get us first.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Interesting and validating. Thank you frisky.

• Frisky
    Options

thank you Santa...it’s all so freaking confusing...the diet part of fighting this disease.

I have to remember that my diagnosis followed a low-carb diet that was high on all sorts of meat, fish, and cheeses...so I will have to resolve my insulin problem in a different way...vegetables and low-glycemic fruits....got to come up with creative recipes to stay the course...although, I love raw vegetables the most...

• rubyredslippers
    Options

Frisky - there is no easy answer to this. I recently submitted a complaint to a state regulatory body about my latest experience with a medical oncologist. He lied about everything.

As we know - drug companies will do anything to make money and medical oncologists are their sales reps.

I said no to this MO. I was treated badly in response. He said that normally people “crawl across the table to get anything that might help” and this is what they expect. Frightened, vulnerable people who are thrown into the deep end of the world of cancer. They are too scared and too busy caught up in it all to think about what’s right or wrong. They do anything they’re told - and that’s understandable.

Like you say, anyone that tells the truth faces a lot of push back. I do however believe that the day will come when it will all be exposed and what goes on now will be looked back on with horror. How do we think of people being given lobotomy’s now? Thalidomide? I could go on .. but people always believe what they’re doing at that point in time is right. Time will tell

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

Frisky wrote "Nothing will change till, we patients, say NO MORE! And expose the naked emperor...." Second that Frisky and thanks for all you links, keep them coming.

• Frisky
    Options

thank you Marijen and Rubyredslippers...I will keep on posting what I find as I look for a solution to my current quandary....

• santabarbarian
    Options

Frisky.... look at Dr Valter Longo's recipes on his site... Italian style and lots of appealing recipes. (Basically any kind of sauce you like on pasta can go atop spiralized zucchini or a small amount of quinoa...)

• Frisky
    Options

I will thanks Santa!

• santabarbarian
    Options

Also: bone broth is low methionine. Bones and skin in general are low while flesh is high. I would think maybe osso bucco, salmon skin rolls could be low too??

• rubyredslippers
    Options

Agree, keep the links coming Frisky. Very important.

• Frisky
    Options

here's another video on a cancer killing diet that might be of interest to you all...this is what I'm planning to test for myself...I have nothing to lose...

https://youtu.be/CVAog5_muNw

A recent study of breast cancer cells found that methionine deprivation reduced growth of tumor-initiating cells (TICs) (ie, the stem cell niche).16 The authors propose that since methionine is required for protein synthesis, its deprivation serves as a block to necessary anabolic processes. The authors conclude, "Our results may also explain the anti-cancer health benefits of caloric restriction, intermittent fasting and the vegetarian diet, by systemically reducing protein synthesis in TICs."

There is direct evidence that methionine restriction leads to selective death of cancer cells versus normal cells.
    The effect of methionine restriction on whole organisms is such that proliferation and anabolic processes are lessened. In organisms from yeast to mammals, caloric restriction results in inhibition of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) signaling, activation of adenosine monophosphate activated kinase (AMPK), inhibition of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR), and reduction in mitochondrial oxidation.17,18,19 Disruption of such anabolic pathways also occurs with diets containing adequate calories that restrict methionine.20,21 IGF, AMPK, and mTOR are well-characterized pathways of cancer growth, making their disruption a desirable goal.22
    In vitro, there is direct evidence that methionine restriction leads to selective death of cancer cells versus normal cells.23,24 Various cancer cell types cannot survive in media devoid of methionine even when homocysteine is present.25 Specifically, many cancer cells undergo cell cycle arrest and eventually apoptosis mediated by pro-apoptotic molecules such as Bcl-2.26 In addition, nutrient-sensing mechanisms within cells have been proposed as a means of organism control of weakened or defective cells. When certain nutrients, including methionine, are scarce, autophagy may ensue.
  • Frisky
    Options

Stephen Barrett is an Fkng idiot lowlife that should be ashamed of himself! Sold out mercenary POS!

Because regardless of the extreme costs of our healthcare system, our life expectancy trails those of people in Cuba and Marocco that spend a lot less!

I rest my case! That's the truth...According to the WHO....

• trinigirl50
    trinigirl50 Member Posts: 158
    Options

I find Stephen Barrett to be very useful in debunking a lot of nonsense and quackery. I dont agree with all of his conclusions, I do my own research, but overall I think it is important to have someone out there presenting a different perspective. Particularly with the nonsense that is often posted online preying on terrified people who will pay or believe anything once it contains the word "cure".

I have no doubt diet and exercise can help with eradicating Cancer reoccurrence. I also have no doubt that for many many people chemo has saved their lives. I agree it is barbaric and a better solution needs to be found. I also agree that we need to advocate for better treatment.

• Shelligirl
    Shelligirl Member Posts: 61
    Options

Frisky, thanks for sharing and I agree it’s complicated, but I know that when I was vegan for two years, I was thinner and felt younger, so for my body it’s works. I was too sick from chemo to cook and eating healthy is a lot of labor. However, It is my plan to eat vegan again, but I have been told by three doctors that to heal from surgery and fix my anemia I need a high protein diet right now. I have been eating a lot of meat (Grass fed) and my energy is better and I’m gaining weight, which I need after chemo. There is so much contradictory information about nutrition, but I do think eating healthy, with lots of fruits and vegetables has to be at least better for you.

• Shelligirl
    Options

One complaint about my experience with the bc industry was the use of the term “significantly significant.” If I hear that term as compared with hearing the actual numbers, I am likely to make a different decision. I always had to find the numbers for myself and then weigh that against losing five pounds in one week due to diarrhea. Here is an example:

The researchers also looked at disease-free survival rates of women with HER2-positive, hormone-receptor negative disease:

• 92.8% of women in the Perjeta treatment group were alive with no recurrence
    • 91.2% of the women in the standard treatment group were alive with no recurrence

• santabarbarian
    Options

Shelli when I was in chemo & recovering from chemo I ate grass fed beef and Omega three eggs, organic chicken and Salmon and full fat grass fed dairy pretty regularly. Once I began feeling a lot better I shaved it back to rarely.

Also higher carb legumes and whole grains very important for rebuild.

• Frisky
    Options

Hi all, today I conducted an experiment. I ate two toasted mixed grains bread slices with a little ricotta cheese, roasted peppers, a huge cucumber and two tangerines...I measured my BS 2 hours later and to my surprise it was only 109....not bad...I can do this and eliminate the cheese by next week...

I just had another mixed grain sandwich with almond butter and blueberry jam and enjoyed it. I think I can get used to a low methionine diet...

It will be interesting to see if and how it affects my tests...

I do understand the need and reason for good proteins after undergoing chemo, but I agree that after you gain your strength you need to curtail the animal proteins...mycotoxins are a major concern in our food supply. They are major cancerogen found especially in meat and grains. Our gov allows unacceptable levels of mycotoxins that are prohibited in other countries. It's the number one reason why the Europeans won't buy our foods, and how having to eat our foods has been affecting Brexit, it what the brits dread the most.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Frisky: some go-to easy low carb low meat dishes and snacks:

-almond butter on celery sticks or apple slices... You can get organic almond butter by grinding your own...

-"paleo coconut granola" which is made w seeds and nuts and no grains. At whole Foods, in Bins. Low carb.

-lentil soup, pea soup, veggie soup, gazpacho

-"fried rice" w either a small amount of whole grain brown rice OR quinoa, and lots of veggies (mushrooms, bok choy, napa cabbage, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic...)

-sauteed eggplant (ratatouille, babaganoosh (?sp))

-carrots/cucumber and humus

-huge green salad w scant amount of organic salmon, meat, chicken, omega 3 egg, or walnuts & goat cheese for protein

-baked goods to stand in for breads: you can use ground flaxseeds, almond meal, coconut flour and other "flours" to make produce rich muffins (pumpkin, carrot/pineapple, zucchini) -- easy to adapt a muffin recipe using low carb alternatives

• Frisky
    Options

sounds good Santa...thanks!

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    Options

I can share anger and frustration. Dx at 42, chemo, radiation and bilat mastectomy. Was told that I was so young I would want breast so went thru the expander hell for months. Thats truly a barbaric thing. Surgeries for implants and months later got cellulitis in right breast. Hospitilized and pit out of work for a few months with a picc line for iv antibiotics. Months later it happened again annd I lost the right breast. I begged them to take them both but they wouldnt. So for the last 7-8 years Ive had 1 implant and 1 flat side. Lets see the chemo put me in menopause at 42. So now I am told to take Arimidex. By this time I was a member here and blessed with all the available research and personal experiences so I knew the side effects. I took it for about a year and it caused bad none pain. I moved like an 80 year old. Like a dumba$$ I stopped it because I shouldnt have to live like that. I also had chemobrain. 5 years from diagnosis I was diagnosed with bone mets. So they started me on faslodex injections, xgeva, and ibrance. Got teeth cleaned, 1 xgeva injection, ended back in hospital for mouth abcess out of work at home with another picc line and iv antibiotics. Got ONJ. No one ever heard of getting it from 1 xgeva injection. Went thru a year of pain now have permanent hole in mouth. Stayed stable for 3 years on these cruel injections with ER+ mets. Now its spread and turned triple negative. Its in my colon and wrapped around ureter. Hydro noted on catscan so they put a stent in me. 3 weeks of pain stent isnt working so took it out and put a tube in my back directly into kidney. Started new chemo knowing the side effects cause it might help me to spend next christmas with my family. When this chemo fails then I have one more chemo option than its trials only. Am I angry. Yes. But i put up with all of it cause I want to live Im telling you now it doesn’t get easier. All treatments are bad but you can choose to stop I wish I had taken that pill and dealt with side effects

• Shelligirl
    Options

Melmcbee, it was hard to read your story. You have been through so much and I am so sorry you. Thank you for sharing. Knowing what can go wrong is helpful. I will be praying for you. I don’t think women get the full story on how difficult reconstruction can be. I consider myself lucky to have found several FB groups that support flat closure, which helped me so much. Not that going flat is right for everyone, but it should be more of an option. There is a lot less money to be made though, but I’m not pointing fingers ;-).

Santa, as always, so helpful, thank you! As my incisions heal, I plan to cutback on meat and substitute beans. I find I’m spending more time searching recipes and less on cancer, so my psyche must be improving.

• Frisky
    Options

melmcbee, your story is truly hearth wrenching...I'm sorry for what you've been going through. I hope you experience a long period of rest and calm, that things turns around for you in a radical way.

I wish you wouldn't feel guilty about the choices you've made. You did the best you knew how, at the time....we all make mistakes, including our doctors. They say 30 % relapse anyway, after doing everything “right", but they don't know how many continue to live with breast cancer that keeps on growing but is asymptomatic....

The truth is that cancer is a huge puzzle that is still a mystery to all involved: doctors and patients...we have a long way to go and at this rate....there might never be a cure.

Wishing only the best for you and all of us....

• Togethertolearn
    Togethertolearn Member Posts: 224
    Options

Melmcbee You have had one torture after another yet you continue on... you are an inspiration although I bet you don't think you could be inspirational. Thank you for sharing. If cancer was understandable, there would be a cure by now. It is not, it is merely guesses and hopes... but what in life isn't really? Marriage, jobs, school decisions, weight loss programs, healthy food choices, friendships, raising kids ... we can't control the result of anything, we just do our best and hope. It's scary, but also allows the gift of grace for ourselves since we did our best with what we could. I am leaning on hope as I stopped my Tamoxifen. And relying on grace if that is a terrible decision. And that is all the emotional strength I have left

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

Melanie, don't feel guilty you didn't take Arimidex. It only works 50% of the time. I have heard people with cancer spread all over and have been doing ok for many years to come. I wish you the best!

• rubyredslippers
    Options

lilywashere - agree. Melanie you've been through hell. I know only too well the despair, fear and anger, but I can only imagine how you would feel. I’m so sorry. There are studies that show that AIs have no impact on survival. They offer a tiny % “benefit" at the enormous price of ruining qol and increasing the risk of other health issues. Please don't feel that you've made mistakes and caused this. Many women endure these drugs for years, and it comes back. You did what was best for you.

Togethertolearn - please scroll back and read what I posted about tamoxifen - quoting Dr John Lee. Tamoxifen is not the answer. We deserve to know the truth.