Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting/declining hormone therapy Nov, Dec, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    edited October 2019
    Options

Wishing you an uneventful and restful weekend, Spoonie!

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks to all who shared info on magnesium. Spoonie, it's great to hear from you. I'm glad you seem to be in a phase where your providers are (finally!) listening to you. Rest, take care of yourself, and check in when you can. Ari is gorgeous (and I'm sure she knows it!). Pebbles, the cute photo of Finley made me smile. I hope the three pups are learning to coexist

• GiddyupGirl
    GiddyupGirl Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi Spoonie - glad to here you found a doctor who you can really like. Have a really good weekend and is your cat ever gorgeous. Glad you checked in - take good care of you - sending you energy cause I think you could use it.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,943
    edited October 2019
    Options

Aha! The magnesium seems to have knocked out the cramp problem. Thanks to all who recommended it.

IngerP, my pills are Tamoxifen, Metformin, Lisinopril, Atorvastatin, 81 mg aspirin, Loratadine (Claritin), Biotin, Vitamin D, CoQ10, Omega 3-6-9, old bat multivitamin, Osteo Bi-Flex triple strength, and calcium-magnesium-zinc, plus Tylenol, and very occasional Ibuprofen. I had to lug them around in a damn gallon zip bag on vacation! A year ago it was ibuprofen, vitamin, and Omega 3-6-9. I hate the pill regime, and that most of them are to counteract bad crap from the others.

Time for the nightly fistful. Bleah.

• ingerp
    edited October 2019
    Options

Alice--if it helps your mindset, at least for the collagen I'm taking, I started thinking I'm really only replacing something that I used to have in my body but that is waning because of my age. I've been pretty anti-pills my whole life, but thinking of some of them that way has helped me accept them. It was actually one of my kids who started increasing collagen through diet, and I must say his skin looks pretty good! FWIW--I know I have arthritis in both of my knees and both of my hips, but they really don't bother me. I don't know how this turned into a post about collagen but here's some info:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/collagen-benefits#section2

• april1964
    april1964 Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2019
    Options

pebblesV: what kind of dog is that adorable little black & white fluff ball??

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited October 2019
    Options

Spoonie - so glad cervical cancer concern came back benign and hi to Ari! So sorry to hear you are still in the drudge of test after test after test - hope it will at least get you answers. We are all thinking of and praying for you!

April1964 - the little fluff fluff is a Pomeranian! He’s just a puppy but will probably grow up looking like Domino (also a Pom). Tucker (our bigger dog) is part border collie (we don’t know the other half as he’s a rescue).

GreenHarbor - will keep you posted on how the pups get along! We “officially” bring Finley home this Sunday at 8 weeks. Pics I’ve been posting are from visits.

On the hormone therapy side, I’ve discovered it’s very, very, very difficult to lose weight on tamoxifen. So I’m just going to post another pic of Finley and call it a night.

• april1964
    april1964 Member Posts: 153
    edited October 2019
    Options

wow pebbles that is one really great photo of the puppy!!!!!

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thyroid biopsy came back --> it's cancer. :(

Worst of all, I found out from that dang nurse at my old MO's office! SHE TOLD ME, not a doctor!!!! Then she told me to call my Endocrinologist office and speak to my dr about the results. FFS. I want her fired. She has NOOOOO business being a nurse, IMO.

Anyway, waiting to hear from my Endo to figure out what's next. Not sure if I have to have a PET scan to stage it or what.

Here we go again, the Spoonie Journey continues.

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited October 2019
    Options

Oh spoonie :( this breaks my heart and I want to smack that nurse w/ a bedpan.

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited October 2019
    Options

Oh man Spoonie, you just can't catch a break. I'm so sorry to hear this. It sucks. Seriously, wtf?

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245
    edited October 2019
    Options

oh Spoonie, I am so sorry you have to go through more, unbelievable that nurse!

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    edited October 2019
    Options

Oh, Spoonie..... this news SUCKS. I’m so sorry. Just say the word, and I’ll get myself to where you are and give that nurse a piece of my mind. Then I could come to your place and make you soup. Sending love....

• ingerp
    edited October 2019
    Options

(((Spoonie)))

• Spoonie77
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks everyone. I'm at a loss really. I don't know what to think....how many more shoes can drop on me this year? I mean really, what is next?! Le Sigh. I've already been given Breast Cancer, then MS, and now Thyroid Cancer. Ugggh.

Thankfully my Endocrinologist did call about an hour later and inform me that it's indeed Papillary Thyroid Cancer. That's the good news. It's the most common kind and all I "should" need is the removal of my thyroid. I see the surgeon for a pre-op appt on Nov 21 and then surgery will follow sometime after. Part of me is still worried that the pathology of the thyroid will reveal BC METS mixed in and then that will be a whole new ballgame. IDk. It's just SOOOO much.

Really struggling and trying my best to stay positive in the face of new cancer. In the meantime, my anger etc is being focused on that dang nurse with a laser focus. Filing a formal grievance with the clinic in regards to her. There seems to be no reason that she should have given me the news, it was not ordered by her doctor and I have not been a patient of that dr for the past 2 months. I'm irrate at that, don't even get me started on how my Mom is feeling. LOL.

Anyway, will post more when I know more. For now, I just thank you all for your kindness and empathy.

• OTMom
    OTMom Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2019
    Options

Spoonie, I'm so sorry to hear this. It's just too much.

• GiddyupGirl
    GiddyupGirl Member Posts: 196
    edited October 2019
    Options

Awe Spoonie - that really sucks - you are getting hit from all sides. I am so sorry. Hopefully it will be a simple snip and done. The nurse should be beaten black and blue with dirty bed pans. Sending you hugs and more hugs.

• thecargirl
    thecargirl Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2019
    Options

Spoonie77 my heart goes out to you, I am so upset that you have had so many health issues! I do want to ask, when you say, "nurse", is this a Registered Nurse? I am an R.N.,M.S and concerned over this person's unprofessional behavior.

Thank,you

• Spoonie77
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thank you all for the continuing love, compassion, and support. Means so very much to me, especially in these stressful times.

@TheCarGirl -> Unfortunately, yes she is a RN at my former MO's office. Everyone I mention this nurse's behavior to is equally as concerned. I DO NOT want any other patient to experience what I have at her hands over the past 6 months. It's just not acceptable, not at any clinic, let alone at an Oncology cliinic! I'm in the process of filing a formal in paper, on the record complaint since apparently my last complaint to the Clinic Manager was not enough. Sigh.

• thecargirl
    thecargirl Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thank-you Spoonie, I hope something can be done about her so others can avoid her unprofessionalism . Health concerns cause enough stress and you especially have had more than you can handle, but you seem so very strong.

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited October 2019
    Options

Spoonie we are all here for you, and yes file that complaint against the RN! Trying to find a silver lining, I looked up thyroid cancer and it says 98% survival rate, so this is very beatable and you will be OK

And if and when you have another appointment at the doctor’s, here’s Finley to say you’re not alone.

(You know me, if the photos help provide a smile or some comfort, then I will post them for you).

• Spoonie77
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks Pebbles. Finley is looking good! You're totally right, survival and outcomes for Thyroid Cancer are really good. If cancer can ever be good lol. I'm actually NOT worried about the actual TC itself. Two of my brothers have had it and are just fine, years out from their surgeries. What I am worried about though is it coming back different after pathology. I'll feel SOOO much better once the lobe is out and they know FOR SURE what it actually is. There is such a huge link between Breast Cancer and Thyroid Cancer, and then there are also additional links/studies of BC METs to the Thyroid, mimicking Thyroid Cancer cytology until final Path comes back. I mean if anyone is going to have this rare, odd mimic it'd be me, right? I mean I won in "the under 1% of the poplulation is allergic to Ovarian Suppression meds" category. Can't help but laugh at myself. Hope I'm entirely paranoid and all comes back the same. **shrug** All I can do is one day at a time and keep my fingers crossed that it's "just" Thyroid Cancer and then I can move on....again. LOL. The goal post keeps moving on me but one of these days I will get there. ;) And of course those fluff ball photos ALWAYS help!

• dani444
    dani444 Member Posts: 215
    edited October 2019
    Options

Spoonie- I am so sorry. This truly sucks and I hate it for you. I am sending gentle hugs to you and will line up with edj3 for the bedpan swinging.

• LPLlibrarygirl
    LPLlibrarygirl Member Posts: 82
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi Spoonie and all,

I am sending caring thoughts and peaceful wishes to everyone. I am sorry you have yet another challenge to deal with Spoonie. You have such great determination and you continue to be a role model for all of us. I love the way you approach each new setback with more research and positive thinking. It's so crummy that you/we always have to be waiting, wondering and often worrying about what's next.

It's been one year for me and many of us. Yay for us and here's to the wonderful support on this site!

• Spoonie77
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks Dani and LPL. It's been an emotional weekend. Kind of lost it when I found out that it's NOT standard to run a stain on the biopsy slides for ER PR receptors in a previous BC patient when looking at thyroid slides. I'm like WHY THE FUCK NOT??? Pardon my French, but seriously, if this CAN be done, why is is NOT? My Endocrinologist just told me that it happens in less than 1% of BC survivors and lab techs know the difference between Thyroid cancer cells and Breast Cancer cells. Sure and do humans make mistakes??? Last time I checked, yes they freakin do. IDK. I'm just all kinds of worked up but trying to stay focused and reminding myself that the odds say THIS will be ONLY Thyroid Cancer. My Endo did explain that it wouldn't change my treatment plan for Thyroid Cancer. That's when I lost it because IMO welp, if they ARE ER/PR receptors, that's METs, and IMO that SURE THE F DOES change my treatment plan!

Le Sigh. :(

Seriously, I was researching the odds of having another cancer (after any other cancer treatment, not just BC and it turns out 1 in 6 (!!!!) cancer survivors will be dxd with another cancer sometime in their life. Granted, it seems most are encountered in their 70s or 80s, but still, would've been nice to learn from my team PRIOR to this that generally speaking cancer survivors have about a 14% increased risk (maybe as great as 2-17% within 20 years of follow-up) than the population of having another cancer (of any kind).

Did anyone else's team happen to mention this to them at all?

Has anyone here been dxd with a 2nd cancer? If so, did they then do a PET Scan or anything to determine if there were other cancers anywhere? It seems logical to me to do that but according to my Endocriniolgist that is not protocol. Just feel a "bit" overwhelmed and want to catch anything that might be lingering or spreading or just THERE in my body somewhere. It's just an awful feeling. :(

• Spoonie77
    edited October 2019
    Options

Just an FYI -->

This is a really good research article that outlines risk factors, stratification, clinical research, etc regarding the known fact that women with BC are at an increased risk for Thyroid Cancer and vice versa women with Thyroid Cancer are at an increased risk for BC.

The Breast-Thyroid Cancer Link: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

"Women with a prior history of differentiated thyroid cancer are at an increased risk for breast cancer. Furthermore, women with a history of breast cancer are at an increased risk for differentiated thyroid cancer. Despite sometimes conflicting results as to the magnitude and significance of this risk, the above meta-analysis demonstrates a clear association and increase in co-occurrence of these two malignancies. Although further studies are needed, clinicians should consider the increase in risk for second primary cancers when caring for these individuals."

"While further work is needed to correlate thyroid cancer rates and breast cancer hormone receptor status, clinicians should counsel their patients on the increased risk of thyroid cancers among breast cancer survivors."

• edj3
    edited October 2019
    Options

Spoonie, my first cancer dx was melanoma in August, 2017. Breast cancer is my second one. After that happened, I did find a study that said a melanoma dx increases risks for other cancers (here's an abstract of another one).

The strongest link in my situation is certain genetic anomalies, which I don't have. As my husband said, I'm an overachiever to have two cancers with no genetic issues. You can read more here.

• Spoonie77
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks Edj3. That's a really informative grouping of research articles! Bookmarked for future perusal and referral.

When you were dxd with BC, since it was a second primary cancer, did you get a PET Scan or anything?

Just seems so weird that when a patient is dxd with another cancer that it's just not the go to thing to do next after dx.

• edj3
    edited October 2019
    Options

No PET scan, nothing other than the breast MRI I requested since I have dense breasts.

And then I requested a chest x-ray to make sure the small pleural effusion that showed up on the MRI wasn't anything serious or a sign of melanoma making itself comfy (it wasn't, and apparently I grow little ones often--my RO reviewed all MRIs/x-rays/CT scans clear back to 2005 and I had a little one then, too).

While the BC is not something I love, I'm more concerned with the melanoma doing sneaky things. That one is a right bastard of a cancer.

• Spoonie77
    edited October 2019
    Options

I'm so sorry you have to deal with the stress and sneakiness of Melanoma too. It sounds down right awful. I have my fingers crossed for you that you can and will out ninja it at every single turn in the future. <3