Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• Rozzy
    Rozzy Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day. Today was day 14 after chemo and as the nurses told me, my hair started to shed big time today, I'll give it a few days then probably just shave it off. I have purchased a wig and cute hats too so hopefully it won't be too upsetting for me. I've had a few hard days with fatigue and bone pain but for me it helps to continue to take Zyrtec. I think I may just take it daily thru till the end of my chemo rounds.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Starbrite711- welcome to our group. It is gonna kick your butt! I was having rough days for a full week after. Had to have a change in nausea meds before it got better. What SE are you having? Maybe we can give tips and tricks. This site is a wealth of information! How many treatments are you having? I’ll add you to the list.

• Mncteach
    Options

I hope I’ve added everyone now, if I’ve forgotten you or you have more information on your chemo either put up a message or PM me.

We’ve got this

Melissa

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

SamRuns-Well I guess it went as good as expected.  I thought I would be really anxious when I sat down, but I have been trying to talk myself from freaking out. I had a small issue with the Nurse Navigator, because I requested the EMLA cream on Monday, and went to pick it up, but it was not prescribed.  When I called, her back she said that they never prescribe it because they use a numbing spray.  It was annoying, because the last message was that she was going to have the dr. prescribe it. They could have at least let me know.  Prior to calling, I had emailed my dr. on the cream, but she was Out of Office.  Her acting dr. emailed me and told me he presribed it 45 minutes before my treatment. So, lesson learned that I should just go straight to my dr. Thankfully that was the only hiccup.

The numbing spray wasn't bad, as I didn't have time to pick up the EMLA cream. It was funny when I told the Nurse who was giving me my chemo the story she said how amazing the EMLA cream is, and she didn't understand why dr.'s don't provide it more often.

I brought the lemon Italian Ice to eat when they started loading the meds, and it helped really well.  I didn't have any weird taste in my mouth.  I brought an extra one and asked the nurse if there was someone she thought might want to have it. She offered it to a woman who was pregnant, and it really put my troubles into perspective.  

I'm grateful that I didn't have any issues, all that mostly impacted me was extreme fatigue.  The kids were all amped up when they got home from sugar overload from their school Valentines party, and I couldn't really address them.  It was like being on Nyquil times 5.  I was able to sleep from 6 pm to 6 am and thankfully didn't need any of the anxiety medication.  I feel a little foggy, but not to bad.  I was able to answer some emails for work, and noticed me repeating some words, so we'll see how this post looks a few days from now.  I still kind of fasted yesterday, and I drank a ton of water.  My first trip to the restroom was this morning, and it was red, but the second time it was clear.

• samruns
    samruns Member Posts: 18
    Options

Ahhh the side effects.

I kept alarms on my phone for each type of pill I was taking the first few days...Zofran, Claritin, Tylenol, Immodium, the other nausea meds, then Nyquil (yeah, got a cold SickTired), Advil.

Finally don't have any bone pain or headaches, but diarrhea hit me with a vengeance yesterday. Thankfully am working from home today. So embarrassing. Sticking to plain noodles and rice today.

Glad it's a long weekend...gotta get over this.

Next chemo on Feb 27.

• samruns
    Options

@notdefined - well that sounds pretty good considering...

The exhaustion the first few days is REAL. As is the desire to drink...I was so thirsty. I still am actually.

I had the same experience with the cream - the nurse navigator told me the same thing...it would be prescribed, but it wasn't...until after my first treatment. Thankfully, I had to do labs beforehand and a nurse gave me a sample and delayed the treatment an hour so it would take effect. I think I'll be ready for the next treatment. As for the chemo-brain...it seems real to me! I have to reread everything I type these days...sent some pretty interesting reports to my team earlier this week lol.

Hope you can get a bunch of rest in the next couple of days.

• notdefined
    Options

SamRuns-too funny, because I just reread my post and it barely made sense to me.  Oh well.  I guess I will need to double check my work emails. BTW, one of my life time goals is to run in a marathon, something I hope to work on when chemo is over.

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good Afternoon Fellow Warriors! I will be joining you all. I start my chemo on Thursday, February 21st. This isn't my first go with chemo. I started the very end of September, finished in November. My surgery was the end of January. I had residual tumor, so more chemo for me.

I had 4 cycles of taxotere and cytoxan last time. This time I am getting 4 cycles of carboplatin. I am just ready to be done with all of this.

I hope those who have been in the chair has little to no se! Let's all keep moving forward together!

• Mncteach
    Options

Arrived at cancer center, some confusion as to why I was there at 8 for chemo at 11.... then more confusion when they see what looks like a kink in the catheter along with the narrowing. Doctors called, consulted, several plans made and after an hour wait it was decided to do drano and see. Got drano, it stays hooked up but I could go back home until chemo. Return and everything seems to be working well. Did chemo with little issues and am now home with feet up! Now to better SE this time

• boogirl
    boogirl Member Posts: 24
    Options

Hi all, joining this a little late as I've been on the cold capping & triple+++ threads and then realized there must be a February ladies group, I'm in! I started 2/5 and I am on weekly Taxol+Herceptin for 12 total Taxol Tuesdays (probably not a great promo advert but it's our name for the time being). I'm cold capping as well as icing hands & feet (with a supportive MO who has pre-meds in the mix for discomfort from this). I'm also doing the light fasting day before/of/after though with weekly treatments I'm relying more on soups and v light meals vs total 3 day water fast. I have yogurt daily and have been able to exercise (stationary bike, pilates & walking) 3-4x/week, we'll see if I can keep it up but the first 2 treatment weeks have gone ok. I'm taking a lot of naps.

Aside from fatigue I really haven't had much in the way of side effects - tho yesterday & today I seem to be breaking out a bit a la high school whiteheads/acne but I don't know if it's chemo or just a heightened version of my usual hormonal breakout. Trying not to touch. Also trying not to touch the hair, though it's a bit itchy as I'm used to washing daily. I guess in 2 more weeks I'll have a better sense of how it's working, but right now no real shedding at all (yet. but it's too early to judge I know). Fingers crossed!

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome boogirl! Glad you found us. Glad to hear everything is going well so far. Hope it goes well for all the treatments!

• Amf5484
    Amf5484 Member Posts: 15
    Options

hey boogirl, I’m cold capping too! Started chemo (TCHP) on feb 1st, have my second treatment Friday the 22nd. I’m a little nervous,I noticed today that I’m starting to shed a lot. I have VERY thick hair so we’ll see how it works!

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am just dropping by to wish everybody good luck and that you can do this. I finished my chemo 9/2018 and I was in “starting chemo in June” group of last year. I wanted to give away couple of headcovers, wig, and halo wig. If anyone is interested please message me. Hang in there all! You will have tough days but it’s doable. 🙏🙏🙏🙏
  • PennyK
    PennyK Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi boogirl,

I am on the same treatment regimen as you. I just completed treatment 3 on Friday. There is also a weekly Taxol group on this board. I’m cold capping too. Not much shedding yet though the Dignicap rep told me to expect it between days 7-10. What kinds of meds do they give you to help with the cold discomfort? I was told to take ibuprofen before I come. I have a hard time keeping my hands and feet iced due to how cold the cap makes me.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Cold cappers: I believe it is valuable to cold cap even if your hair somewhat falls out...

I did not cold cap on chemo #1... i was rushing to treatment and it was one thing too many for me to deal with. But I bought 4 "migraine sufferer" freezable caps on Amazon, (and freezable socks/mittens) and I used them for #2-#6. My hair mostly fell out because of chemo #1, but it did not all fall out, and I could wear a beanie with hair peeking out the bottom... like a halo wig would do. It was already growing back before chemo #6. Now ~11 weeks PFC my hair is back-- a thick brush cut. I'm glad I did it.

I decided to use the homegrown cold caps while bald-ish because I was afraid of permanent hair loss from taxotere and I figured it would be somewhat protective at least...

In my August Chemo group bostoniangal did it and kept 75% of her hair.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Does anyone take themselves to Chemo ?Can’t figure out the logistics.

• santabarbarian
    Options

I drove myself.

The steroids in your chemo make chemo day and the next 24-48 hours pretty decent (in my case). I would slip into feeling lousy on day 3 or day 4 and be back out of it by day 7-8. As the chemo progressed, the only change to that pattern was it took me longer to bounce back after. My bad days, and my SEs on the bad days, remained fairly consistent.

I drove myself also because I did not want to chat through chemo, since the icing had me moderately uncomfortable and I wanted to just space out or read.

• AmyIsStrong
    AmyIsStrong Member Posts: 426
    Options

Hello February ladies. Wanted to drop by and leave you a note of encouragement. You see - TEN years ago this month (Feb 2009) I was diagnosed with bc. You can see all the treatment listed in my signature below.
    What I wanted to say is - that while this is so much in the "NOW" for you, the days will slip by into weeks, months, and then years. And it WILL one day be in the rear view mirror.
    I SWORE I would never forget a single detail - i was so traumatized by the entire thing. But I had a great, smooth recovery, and now as I look back, a lot of the details are hazy. In fact, just the other day I was trying to remember if they used a thyroid lead shield during radiation, and I could not remember.

The present for you is so all encompassing. I DO remember the fear, all the details to manage, the fatigue and all the appointments. But gradually I graduated to seeing the onc monthly and then quarterly. And now i see the onc once/year and the surgeon once/year. Just to stop in and say hi. (And get mammogram.)

I know that when you are immersed in 'cancer world' it is all you can see. But i wanted to be a little example to you that there IS life on the other side of all this and you will get there. Now my life is full of work/gym/grandbaby/friends/fun/planning for the future. And it will be that way for you.

They always told me "Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and pretty soon you will be walking out the door." It didn't feel that way at the time, but it was true. Can't believe it's been ten years.

If I can help support any of you, feel free to PM me.

Sending love and support to my 2/19 sisters -

Amy

• CSRoberts
    CSRoberts Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you, AmyIsStrong!! I am starting chemo 2/26 and this is exactly what I needed to see today! I hope I will come back when I’m on the other side of all of this and reassure those just getting started that things doget better~ it’s so important. Hugs :)

• Amykieffer-1
    Amykieffer-1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Glittertits ! I just finished my 3rd treatment. I'm on TCH . The first treatment can be the hardest because your body doesn't know what to do with all the drugs. I have been much better since and I know what to expect. I think you will be the same. Lots of prayers coming your way

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome CSRoberts- glad you found our little group.

Amy is strong— Thank you! I am so in this horrible moment right now it is hard to imagine the other side. I know there is one and have several friends that are on that side, but still as we’re headed through this, it’s always good to have that reminder!

Hope everyone is doing well and having minimal SE. Mine seem different this time but after this last tough chemo it’s no wonder

• notdefined
    Options

Wondering how everyone who started treatment is feeling.  

Today is the first day that I don't have to take any anti-nausea meds, and I feel good.  I don't want to jinx it, but I feel like the last 3 days I have been over-medicated with Zyprexa and Zofran.  I am curious if the worst is over until the next treatment, or should I expect a roller coaster until then?  I have not needed to take any Ativan, but I'm only on the 2nd day of the steroid dosage (tonight will be my 3rd).

Also, was wondering if I should be able to wear my contact lenses?  I didn't ask the MO about them, but I actually felt good enough to wear them instead of my glasses today. 

Hope you are doing good.

Mel

• Mncteach
    Options

You should be ok to wear contacts, my MO said to wait two days and always start with a clean set. You probably are past the worst too... today is day 3 for me and I feel a little more like myself. I still need anti nausea meds but sleep through the night without needing them :)

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

So tomorrow is my first chemo. I will have six rounds of TCHP, followed by radiation. Took my steroid this morning and cleaned my whole house! At least it kept my brain occupied! Not looking forward to it but know that each steps brings me closer to the end of treatment. I’m lucky, I don’t have to work through this process so I can concentrate on getting better! Went to pick out a few wigs last week. Unfortunately I have a larger head so they may not fit. They should be in this week. I have curly hair so was looking for something that would help me feel normal. I just don’t look good with straight hair. My husband prefers it curly as well!

Not sure what to expect but I follow instructions pretty well so I’ll listen to my doctors and nurses! Thanks for all the helpful hints

• Mncteach
    Options

Good luck Gonnabeatthis! You got this!

• samruns
    Options

Hey everyone,

Just checking in. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my first treatment and I think I *finally* am over the diarrhea. Ugh. Still can't taste anything/things taste weird.

I've been wearing my contacts everyday...no one told me not to lol. Maybe I'll ask my MO next time I see her. Everything else seems to be ok. I've been walking everyday and got 3 miles in today. I'm thinking about going for a quick run tomorrow morning before work to see how it goes. My sports bra rubs the port a little and it's uncomfortable when I think about it. I have my energy back for the most part - did a deep clean of the house yesterday but fell asleep super early. Even did my taxes! I read that the effects of TCHP are cumulative so I'm trying to take advantage of any good day I have now.

Anyone else having weird side effects that come and go?

I've had:

• bloody nose
    • sore throat
    • diarrhea
    • no taste/weird taste
    • dry mouth/rough feeling tongue
    • bone pain (thanks neulasta)
    • tired
    • neuropathy (only 1 day - in my left hand)
    • rapid heart rate (usually wakes me up)

I think that's it. My hair should start to go this week. Have my wigs and some head coverings so I think I'm ok there. Like you, Gonnabeatthis, I have curly hair - couldn't find any wigs that look anything like my real hair. Got a straight version and just ordered a wavy shorty one. I'll post pics once they get here. I have a large head too - some of the brands have large cap sizes. I got a Gabor and a Jon Renau that came in large.

Is anyone taking vitamins? My MO told me not to, but I feel like I'm fighting a cold and am thinking I'll call tomorrow and see if I can take Emergen-C or something like that.

• santabarbarian
    Options

SamRuns,

Vitamins and supplements are a very oncologist-by-oncologist thing. I had a consult w an integrative cancer doctor in Chicago who recommended a ton of them. I also saw a naturopathic physician in my town who has an oncology-support practice, who pretty much dittoed the same recommendations as the Chicago cancer doc (Dr Keith Block, The Block Center). My MO was less convinced they would make a difference, but he was ok with my taking them.

I think they were extremely helpful. In between intermittently feeling like crap from the chemos, whenever I bounced back I felt truly fantastic. Minor aches and pains I'd had for a few years (I'm 57) *disappeared* (I credit Omega 3 fish oil and curcumin bringing my inflammation down.) If you look on TNBC forum under Member success stories, the details of what i did are there...

My point is, for every MO that says "no" there is another that says "yes." Vitamins/nutrition are not a specialty of most doctors. Vitamins won't make anyone a mint so nobody spends the $50M on a double blind trial. But integrative docs with years of experience can see the results in their practice. Dr Block has a bunch of stuff online and in his book (Life Over Cancer) that support taking a significant number of supplements.

Ultimately I made the choice to accept whatever hypothetical risk, as the benefits seemed to be very substantial. I am really glad i did, and I continue to take these supplements during radiation. My RO was fine w them.

• notdefined
    Options

My MO didn't encourage or discourage any additional supplements.  She only said that I should be careful not to take too many antioxidants--which I thought was strange.  It was my first appt. with her, so I was too overwhelmed to question it at the time. my DH doesn't remember the reason either, but he also remembers her saying that.

• santabarbarian
    Options

They say that because they are afraid that it will fight against the inflammation and oxidative stress that the chemo prompts, or that it will help the cancer cells alongside the healthy cells... The fact is, there are not a lot of nutrition/cancer studies. The recommendations I had were to take quite a few antioxidants, as well as to eat super clean, largely whole foods vegan/pescatarian, because the point was to bring inflammation down generally in my body. Dr Block wants to make the system very unfriendly to the growth of cancer, which loves inflammation.

The rest of the of the Dr Block program was to provide specific supports to my body while undergoing treatment, As one example, he had me taking L-Glutamine 750 mg for three days per cycle (day before, of, and after chemo) specifically to deal w the toxic effects of chemo on nerves. I had a teeeeny bit of tingles during chemo... nothing lasting in hands or feet. Never lost my nails. No mouth sores. Etc. The nutritional support plus the fasting was very very effective at keeping my SEs to anemia (unavoidable) and fatigue.

His specialty is helping people who have been told "there is no more chemo we can give you." He helps them rebuild themselves to the point that they can be treated again. He uses all the regular treatments but works to get your system as strong as it can be.

• Mncteach
    Options

My MO wanted me on vitamin D and B complex and then when I was anemic added a Flintstone vitamin with iron, so very case by case. I’m not doing great with SE but not as long list as yours. Mainly nausea, which was better this time and fatigue. Constipation was bad too, kept ahead of it better this time, but still a battle Some dry mouth at night but tolerable.