Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• Amf5484
    Amf5484 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hu LuluH, welcome to the group. I’m on the same regimen. How are you feeling

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

I am doing dose dense taxol too so mine just stay every two weeks and are IV. There is a weekly taxol group so I’m sure someone there will know

• luluh
    luluh Member Posts: 20
    Options

I am very tired. Taste buds are shot, sore throat, mouth sores, and stomach pain. Imodium has been helpful.Headache is much better today, though. How are you feeling?

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome LuluH. I am not on same regimen but feel your pain! Mouth sores haven’t been aweful but I am super careful of the temp of foods I am eating. The relentless fatigue has taken me by surprise. I just went and put a load of laundry in and now I’m done! I just try to keep reminding myself that it will get better and every step forward is closer to the end of this particular battle

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Mncteach are you taking all of the anti-nausea meds?  Are you also on Zofran and Zyprexa?   I was hoping I could modify the amt I am taking during round 2 in the first few days, but I also don't want to risk getting sick.  I don't get carsick and never felt nauseous during my pregnancy with twins.

• Showell
    Showell Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi I am waiting for final pathology as of now I am triple negative ...invasive ducal. Is that what you are diagnosed wit

• roflute
    roflute Member Posts: 6
    Options

Had my second round of chemo 2/21 and so far have been feeling pretty good. Just tired and my hair starting falling out the very next day so I got it all shaved off. I have cute beanies to wear and a wig too so am prepared. This round feels so different from my first. I had bad heartburn, metallic taste and my tongue is sore. Also a little constipation the first couple of days. This time I still have the sore tongue and tiredness. Haven't needed to take anything for the Neulasta bone pain. I was wondering how effective the Neulasta is. On Day 8 after my first chemo I developed a fever and was sent to the hospital because my WBC was very low (.7). They pumped me full of iv antibiotics and fluids all weekend and I was finally released Monday. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to keep my second round chemo appt. because of bad numbers and then I got a cold on top of everything. They gave me the option of doing chemo and I said yes. Glad I did but I sure hope I don't have a repeat performance. So far no fever and I will be wearing my mask and gloves at work while my immune system is down. How long does it take to boost these white blood cells?

• Kkmay
    Kkmay Member Posts: 89
    Options

Hi Ladies!

My mom started chemo last Sunday (4AC+ 12Taxol). First couple of days she was ok just a little nauseous. Day 4-6 she suffered from extreme body aches from the neulasta injection. Today is day 7 after her first dose and she is suffering from extreme abdominal cramps.Any ideas how to relieve them?

• Mncteach
    Options

Not defined— I am on zofran, take it every 8 hours for first 3-4 days but never have used the whole script at one time and this time they added a steroid to help and that kept nausea under control.

Showell— we are all different but there are seperate boards for each of those diagnosis. I have the same diagnosis as you have currently, so feel free to reach out and ask questions.

Roflute- your WBC being so low is interesting. The Neulasta has been doing its job for me and my counts have been good for the first two times. I hope they figure it out for you!

Kkmay - is your mom constipated? Very common side effect and I know when I was after my first round I had abdominal pain. I now keep ahead of it with senecot s— can give you more info if her MO hasn’t. They gave me a whole spreadsheet as to how to take it.

As for bone pain, Claritin Tylenol and ibuprofen. Start the Claritin 2 days before chemo and go 3 days after.

It’s amazing how many meds I take for side effects and to keep me healthy. Went from 3 pills every morning to 10 in the morning around chemo and 4-5 at night.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    Options

Welcome Showell and roflute to our community. Please Showell do keep us all posted on what you find out. roflute, hang in there with all your going through. To Everyone else. sending gentle hugs Medicating

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

Hi Showell-I am triple negative as well.

• Kkmay
    Options

-mncteach

Actually she has diarrhea. By now, it has subsided a little however the tumor itself is hurting her a lot. Has anyone experienced similar pain in the tumor?

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

I had pain in the tumor. And I think it's a good signal, as my tumor melted and died. My pain was not acute, but I felt a dull pain and kid of "fizzy" feeling. A heating pad was comfortable for me when it ached.

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

I think I'm over the worst part of the SE from my first treatment. I had a REALLY BAD headache that lasted days! Stomach aches, nausea, some throwing up and DA (unfortunately at the same time). Now my feet and legs hurt off and on. Last night my gums started bleeding. I use a water pick instead of floss but am going to get softer toothbrushes. I probably should have moderated my diet in the first few days but basically ate what I felt like eating. Some was too rich or greasy. So far my taste buds haven't been impacted but I have lost my appetite. Since I went to more bland I'm feeling better, My husband said BRAT going forward after treatment! He's been amazing!

Has anyone else gotten cystic acne on their face? I’m starting to get some. Haven’t had acne in 35 years!

I'm drinking a lot of water and I'm hoping that helps. Hoping to get out and about today and feel normal for a while.

• Kkmay
    Options

-santabarbarian her pain is acute at times and mild at others. Could it be because the tumor is pushing through the healthy tissues? It looks like a lemon on her left breast. She has to take painkillers most of the time because of this

• santabarbarian
    Options

kkmay I don't know, but surely a tumor might also cause pain by pressing on the nerves of the breast. I would mention it to the MO and see if they can explain it. So sorry your Mom is in pain.

• HOPE012119
    HOPE012119 Member Posts: 19
    Options

I’m so eager to start chemo on 2/28! I’ve been looking forward to my fight with this disease since my diagnosis in January. I’ll be receiving AC 4x and T 4x.

I'm planning to go shopping tomorrow to prepare myself. Sounds like Claritin is important! I hope to pick it up tomorrow morning and get it in my system.

Thanks for sharing your journeys and insights!! And good luck to everyone!

• Mncteach
    Options

Good luck Hope and welcome to our group!

• HOPE012119
    HOPE012119 Member Posts: 19
    Options

Mncteach - hank you! I am honored to join this group of warriors!! And a little scared! But mostly anxious to get this treatment started!! Hope you have a great day :)

• samruns
    samruns Member Posts: 18
    Options

Good morning everyone!

Welcome Hope012119! I bet you're running through all sorts of thoughts as you get ready for your first treatment. This group can help answer any questions you may have. I think most of us have had at least one treatment at this point.

I go in tomorrow for treatment 2. Meet with my MO this afternoon - not sure what this appointment is about. Hopefully to do an exam?? I can tell my tumor has shrunk considerably. I have a couple of questions for her as well - I'm only 41 and my period is all screwed up - guessing I can add this to my list of SEs. This forum needs the facepalm emoji ;)

Kkmay - I had odd, occasional aches when my tumor was huge - it was pushing against my skin and I could see it. Once I started treatment the pain went away (the tumor started to shrink within a week) so hopefully your mom's pain will ease soon.

In other news, my boss told me she is resigning in 2 weeks. Just told me yesterday. She has been one of my biggest champions (and mentor and friend) so it was pretty shocking. I'm worried about continuing my treatments and work - she and I set up a schedule so I don't have to take any official time off so I can maintain my full salary and save time off for surgery. HR knows as well, but the uncertainty of a new boss, someone who understands how BC impacts life, work, emotions, mental alertness etc....making my head spin.

That's the latest from me. Hope you all are doing as well as possible!

• Kkmay
    Options

Hi SamRuns

Her MO said that the pain is mainly because of her tumor pushing against healthy tissues (hers is about 7 cm). I think the pain will subside after a couple of chemo sessions.

I have one stupid question: I noticed some patients get 12 rounds of Taxol, others get 4, Is it the same dose disributed among more sessions? Or is it dose dense taxol? How does the 12 sessions approach differfrom the 4?

Another question: can a patient get targeted therpy with AC? Or only with taxol? What is the best approach?

Thanks ladies in advance!

• Mncteach
    Options

Neither AC nor taxol are really targeted, they just attack the cells that are doing different things (in my understanding). As for the 4x taxol vs 12x. I think the 12x gives more overall Taxol, just in smaller doses. Some people have serious reactions and have to have smaller doses and some places just do the 12x as a matter of protocol, others do 4x. And btw-- there are no stupid questions. All questions are good ones and hopefully we can answer.

As for periods-- I haven't really had one since surgery (November) and all of the sudden, Bam! Got one this past weekend. I was really hoping I wouldn't have any until after treatment was over.

As for weird SE-- anyone having strange and vivid dreams? Mine have just been wild since chemo started but really seemed to ramp up after the 2nd one.

• Kkmay
    Options

mncteach my mom has started having vivid dreams since she started AC. She rarely did before! I think it is one of the unreported side effects of chemo

• Rozzy
    Rozzy Member Posts: 11
    Options

Day 5 of round two is kicking my butt!! Nausea and bone pain is bad today and my mouth and throat are so sore and dry. I keep drinking water but feel like my tongue is an alligators back!! Ugh... Hoping for a better day tomorrow

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Rozzy, here’s hoping for a better day tomorrow!

I’m day 8 from my first round (TCHP). I was hoping I had gotten past the worst but had a Dr. appointment today and my wbc was very low so got a shot of Neulasta, just when the bone pain from the chemo was subsiding! Ended up with more stomach issues too! My mouth is sore and raw, BIOTENE is my friend! Hopefully with the Neulasta things will start getting better. I just keep telling myself, one down, 5 to go.

• santabarbarian
    Options

For people wanting to reduce SEs, please consider trying the fasting-mimicking diet. There are many posts about it on this site. Developed by a doctor at USC. It is not hard, and it really helps with SEs.

SB

• addybear
    addybear Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi I'm new here aw well, I'm 55 years old and newly diagnosed with HER2+ Breast Cancer and starting chemo on the 28th, 4 round of AC then Taxol. Really scared because not sure what's coming my way. I just want to say thank you to everyone that has shared there story, it has been very helpful to me.

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome addybear. So sorry you have to join us but glad you found us! Let us know what we can do to help. Ask questions, find forums specific to your diagnosis, and best of luck. I have my 3rd AC treatment on the 28th.

• samruns
    Options

Hey Gonnabeatthis - did your MO tell you to take Claritin + Tylenol for the bone pain from Neulasta? It makes it bearable. I'm on TCHP as well and I start the Claritin 2 days pre-chemo and for 7 days after the Neulasta shot - 8-9 days total (depending on when I get the neulasta). It helps quite a bit. I had the dry mouth/sore throat/mouth pain too - but that went away after about a week. Hope it's over quickly for you!

I'm sitting in the waiting room for treatment 2. Let's get this over with.

• samruns
    Options

Hi AddyBear and welcome! Is herceptin and perjeta part of your treatment plan? I'm HER2+ as well and ER-/PR-.

We're happy to help out in anyway we can :)