Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi SamRuns,

Yes she told me to take the Claritin and Tylenol as long as I had the pain, but starting a few days ahead is good advice! I’m definitely going to try that next time. It seems worse at night when I’m laying down. I have a select comfort bed and last night I had the pressure down to 25, I find a softer mattres really helps on nights when I have a lot of pain.

Santabarbra, is there a site or study explaining the fast mimicking diet? I’d like to read about it

• addybear
    addybear Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi SamRuns, Thank you for getting back to me. Yes will do Herceptin and Taxol after my 4 rounds of AC, not sure what or if I'm doing Pejeta?

• luluh
    luluh Member Posts: 20
    Options

Gonnabeatthis:I've started to get the acne, too.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Google "Dr Valter Longo, fasting mimicking" and you will find the info... I have posted many times about it here so you can also do a site search her for these terms an find out more. The core of the practice is that a brief fast or semi fast tells the body "conserve energy/protect yourself"... the body goes into a higher gear of destroying damaged cells and protecting healthy cells to conserve itself. Then the chemo enters your system, and the healthy cells are in a more quiescent mode, while the cancer cells are still doing their normal virulent thing, so uptake is increased in cancer cells and diminished in healthy cells. The secondary effect of fasting is that having very little food is in your GI tract when constipation or diarrhea hits, so those SEs are blunted. Your chemo day is the middle of the fast. Then, you break the fast & rebuild by eating nutrient-dense foods, and the immune system is stimulated to renew itself as the calories and nutrients come in again.

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

LuluH. I bought some Neutrogena Rapid Clear, looking better already. My problem was the acne actually hurt, not to mention, it didn’t look great!

Thanks Santabarbarian, I’ll check it out. I have trouble finding what I need in the search for this site,

• samruns
    samruns Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hey Addybear - They add perjeta if the mass is larger than 2cm - that's my understanding. If yours was smaller, that would make sense why it's not in your plan. That's good for you - its number one side effect is diarrhea and it's awful. :/

• santabarbarian
    Options

if you search this site for "fasting mimicking diet " and look for posts w my name, you should find them... as well as other people's who have also posted about it

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hi all!

Looks like I will be starting in March (since February is over tomorrow), but I hope you let me stay. I have a question about lymph nodes. How did you find out if you have lymph node involvement? I had a PET scan which was clear, but when I had the port put in, I had one lymph node biopsied (which I found out today was positive). My treatment plan did not change 4 AC, 12 T, but now I am finding myself doubting the clear PET scan. Has anyone else had anything like this? My MO said that it just provides a clearer picture, is still treatable and beatable, but it just feels like more bad news. Rough day.

Lauren

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

Of course you can stay Lauren, I belong to three different months groups because they all overlap and give good information. I’m not sure about lymph nodes since I had surgery first and they did a sentinel node biopsy during that but I’m sure others can chime in and answer your questions!

• samruns
    samruns Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hey Laurencl - yes stay!

I had the exact opposite - they found a suspicious lymph node when they did the ultrasound so they biopsied it. It was negative.

The very next week I had both MRI and a PET and they came back saying it looked borderline. I asked my MO about the conflicting info yesterday and since I'm doing neoadjuvant, they're just going to watch it in the next MRI/PET scans. When I do surgery, they'll remove it and biopsy again. In terms of treatment, if they find cancer there too, then I'll receive a different therapy after than if they don't. I'm ER-/PR-/HER2+ so I have to do targeted therapy for at least a year after all this nonsense no matter what they find. Looks like your protocol is different.

Anyway, try not to worry too much (I'm trying to take my own advice lol)...chemo works wonders even in spite of all the interesting SEs we get so it might not even be an issue later.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

SamRuns,

Yes, I am reading too much into everything I read and am second guessing everything I am hearing. Too much information and then again not enough. This feels like the most awful thing that has ever happened to me and the truth of the matter is, I am not handling it as well as I would like. I just have to start treatment and get this done!

Thank you for answering. Had a rough day.

Laure

• Kathy03
    Kathy03 Member Posts: 44
    Options

Hi all. I’m in the January group but thought I’d follow along here as well since my schedule got delayed and now I’m more in line with most of you. I had my first of 6 infusions (TCH) on Jan 17. I did ok with SE’s for the first week. Some issues (worst constipation ever!!!) but overall better than I expected. Then one week later, my gall bladder was seriously inflamed, and I spent a week in the hospital to build up my immunity enough to have it removed. I’m fine now and fully recovered, but they delayed my chemo 3 weeks. So, after a 6 week break, I’m a bit nervous about round 2 tomorrow.

I didn’t have Neulasta the first time, but since my WBC was near zero when I went to the hospital, it’s part of my regimen from now on. A little nervous about the bone pain, but I’m taking Claritin so hope that helps.

I don’t know what this long break will mean for how I handle round 2. I’m hopeful that the SE’s continue to be as tolerable as the first time. And no more gall bladder to worry about!
  • jktampa
    jktampa Member Posts: 6
    Options

My lymph nodes seemed to be overlooked in all my scans. I was told one was slightly enlarged. When I had my lumpectomy and they biopsied they end up taking 8 nodes and 5 were positive. Two of those were extra capsular/metastatic . Originally I was told everything was caught early and I was Stage 1.

After lumpectomy the doctors seemed shocked that it was that involved and now I am stage 3A. Very frustrating, it seems they were in since a rush to remove the tumor they didn’t really look into the lymph nodes. I also had very slim margins so they went back in and found a new tumor that had grown within 3 weeks of first surgery where the supposed clear margin was. Doing chemo now and then will have BMX.

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

My chemo was canceled today for what I can only imagine is my labs.  The two tests that tripled above the upper limit were the AST and ALT liver test.  The center canceled my appt, but didn't explain why. I have a call in to the doctor waiting for a response, but was curious how all of your tests are going.  I am being pushed out by 1 week depending on my labs at that point.

• santabarbarian
    Options

That's a bummer... I never had to delay a chemo, but towards the end I was borderline on both liver enzymes and RBC... in fact, my liver enzymes were so high they tested me for hepatitis to rule that out. Hang in there. Eat well and don't take anything you don't have to take, so your liver can rest. Hope you get an answer soon!

• notdefined
    Options

Thanks santabarbarian. I was on day 3 of water only fasting, so I felt like I did all that for nothing.  I was told I could drink a glass of wine now and then, but since starting chemo I have not had a drink.  The only thing I have been taking is Claritin, because I have really bad allergies anyway.  The dr. mentioned possibly having me on AC every 3 weeks instead of every 2, and he said it was canceled due to my liver enzymes.  Just another reminder to me that I don't get to control this process.  I feel fine of course, and the rest of my labs were fine.  I'm drinking coffee and going to try to eat foods that will help my liver.  Fingers crossed for next week.

• Mncteach
    Options

So sorry not defined.

I am presently sitting at the cancer center getting the c part of my AC. My wbc were great, but both race and platelets were on the low side but not low enough to delay treatment or require blood transfusion. Much smoother time with the port today too

• notdefined
    Options

So glad your treatment went smoothly Mncteach!  Hope all goes well and no SE.

JKTampa-sorry you are not getting consistent information. It sounds very frustrating.  Hope your chemo goes smoothly.

Kathy03-I had my gallbladder removed in September before BC was even on my radar.  It was considered "elective", but I was in pain every day.  Hindsight, I am glad I did that back then, as I'm sure it would be causing me problems now.

afm I did try CBD oil this past week, and I am wondering if that impacted my liver enzymes?  The oil is 1 to 1 ratio of CBD to THC.  I found a study that indicated it might hinder my liver's ability to clean out the chemo.  That was the only thing I did differently.  Dr. said to drink lot's of water, and I have been using a water app, and know I am well hydrated.  Also, fasting continues not to agree with me.  This is the second time I have experienced bright yellow diarrhea.  Dr. was supportive of me fasting, but I wasn't sure if he realized I don't have a gallbladder.

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Notdefined- My chemo last time (October 2018) caused my liver enzymes to go sky high alt was over 1100, as in transplant level. Tons of bloodwork, liver biopsy, steroids, and 2 hospital stays of 4 days each, it all ended up being my liver was inflamed. Try not to take any Tylenol, better if you can avoid taking anything (advil, aleve) and try to eat a low fat diet. If you have any questions let me know. I will try to answer the best I can.

• Toni_S
    Toni_S Member Posts: 15
    Options

Had my first infusion today, only side effect so far is stomach cramps and diarrhea. Ugh

• notdefined
    Options

Notgivinup-Thank you for your insight.  I did a search and stumbled upon your post, but it looked like your levels happened after you were done with chemo?  Did you fast during chemo?  I thought this was not a good sign for only a 2nd treatment.  I don't take any over the counter meds beside Claritin.  I'm not really a coffee drinker, but I just read that could help my liver.  I had  2 cups today with only a splash of milk.  I will try to do veggies and fruit with whole grains.  I really just want to get chemo done and over with.    

• Notgivingup
    Options

Notdefined- my levels slowly rose with each chemo the first couple. The third it really started rising, by the fourth it was almost 10 times what is should have been (288). When I went in for hydration 16 says after my last chemo, my level was 850's. I did not fast during chemo. I am with you on wanting to get this chemo over with. I want to be done also. 3 more for me.

• notdefined
    Options

It is comforting to know I am not the only one, and I saw your levels finally came down.  How long did it take for that to happen? My ALT went from 14 to 134, and my AST went from 20 to 73.  Total Bilribun went down to .7 from 1.4 but that is still within the normal range.  ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE went from 73 to 118 (barely over the limit).  Guess I will wait and see what happens next week.

Hope you have a smooth ride the rest of the time Notgivingup!  Here's hoping for no more complications!

• Mncteach
    Options

Not defined— just curious, what chemo are you receiving? I did notice changes in my liver level last time (haven’t seen the report yet for today’s bloodwork, will tomorrow) and although we talked about wbc, rbc, and platelets, I do t remember any concern about my liver but I have been living on Tylenol for the Neulasta and been having headaches, so now I am concerned

• Notgivingup
    Options

My levels took 2 months to come down completely to normal.

• notdefined
    Options

Mncteach- the two below is what is high on my chart.  I am on AC.  I'm sure your doctor would keep track for you.  I just talked to my ON and he thinks my symptoms are related to me fasting.  I will see if my levels go down after eating normally.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Maybe a water fast is not good for you?-- you could try fasting mimicking instead? I did FM because I get hangry when I eat nothing. Hope yourenzyme levels get back to normal soon.

• notdefined
    Options

santabarbarian-I think you are right.  I did a water fast last time, but it was mostly because I had to fast for my Port and biopsy anyway.  This time I was intentionally doing it, and hadn't eaten from Tues to Thurs.  I think I just need to have smaller meals throughout the day, and reduce my calories.  I wanted to really give it a try, but my body is not cooperating :(  The dr. was supportive of me fasting as he said that there are clinical trials being done on it, but the results won't be in for years.  I really hate that it takes that long.  

• paloma1211
    paloma1211 Member Posts: 95
    Options

Hello all! I’m new here. TriplePos+++. First chemo (tchp x 6) was 2/26. I’ve been feeling mostly good, though it all feels like the calm before the storm. I got the Neulasta shot last night. How long before bone pain sets in (if at all, I guess)? Appetite is low. Mouth is a little sore, but I’ve been rinsing a few times a day with salt, baking soda & water. Drinking tons of water. So far, no nausea, no diarrhea. We shall see.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I’m working on taking one day at a time. Let the good days be good and the bad days be over quickly. Only 102 days until my last chemo!

• Mncteach
    Options

Thanks not defined— my records came online overnight so I just looked at them, they were on the high end of normal this time, so doing ok. I’m sure they’re watching them too but my anemia has been giving me symptoms so I know we’re focusing more on that. Even with the extra iron I’m taking, still low and the third round usually brings them to their lowest so this could get interesting.

Welcome Paloma1211, hope your SE stay minimal. Are you taking Claritin or Tylenol for the bone pain?I had one day of achiness following this regimen but nothing painful and it could also just be chemo related.