Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2019

Options

Comments

• notdefined
    notdefined Member Posts: 267
    Options

I stumbled on this article on antioxidants, and thought I would share. http://www.ascopost.com/issues/july-25-2014/avoiding-antioxidant-drug-interactions-during-cancer-treatment/ .  

It is such a shame that our medical structure is for profit.  It would be nice if studies were funded based on their potential to save lives--not how much money can be made.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hey Warriors!

This may be a silly question but what did you eat after your treatments ? I am trying to stock up on stuff to prepare for my first treatment . I am a tedious planer and still feel so out of control. Chicken, noodles, soup, crackers? I hate to go in this with the idea of being sick...makes it hard to think like a warrior.

Lauren

• IdRatherBeBoatin
    IdRatherBeBoatin Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hey Lauren,

I think we are on the same regimen.... THCP.... What you have so far looks good. I went heavy on fruit, to keep my immune system up. Drink a lot of water. I ate what I felt like. Also, diarrhea happens in up to 80%, so I had BRAT foods on hand ( bananas, rice, applesause, toast). Mouth sores were my worst SE ( soft foods and smoothies were key). I had Zero nausea. I think you will feel more prepared after you get through your first treatment, and less anxious about the unkown.

Keep a diary of how you feel each day and what symptoms you are having etc. I have found it helpful and will be using it to further prepare for round 2, on the 27th.

Best wishes, S.

• Gonnabeatthis
    Gonnabeatthis Member Posts: 57
    Options

First treatment down! Went pretty well, just very long day! Came home and crashed hard. Kind of broke the rules and had two people with me all day...not much room so they usually allow for only one, made an exception for us. We laughed, ate and played cribbage until we laughed so hard we were all crying! Took a lot of the stress away!

Came home and fell asleep on the sofa until my husband woke me for dinner. Ate (my appetite is still good) and crashed again until he woke me for bed. Slept all night. Right now my only side effect is I’m shaky. I did have restless legs following the Benedyl I.V. but it went away after they gave me some Ativan (probably why I crashed so hard).

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

I found the foods that appealed to me the most on my worst days had flavors that cut through the metallic taste. Something strong flavored and soft/easy to eat -- like sushi w/ wasabi (California roll or crab... something veggie or cooked not raw.) Even water tasted bad with metal mouth so I used ginger slices in the water or spiked it w/ kombucha to flavor it a bit.

Soup, bone broth are easy and were appealing. And you can keep small portions in the freezer in case they do not appeal to you. Smoothies are easy when appetite is low. My recipe for smoothies was berries, a little bit of "Califia" nut milk, some "Cocoyo" coconut yogurt, and the supplement powders I took. You can use frozen berries if you like it icier, or throw in an ice cube.

It can be a bit unpredictable, what is appealing. I had strong cravings and aversions that differed day to day. Some days a green salad appealed to me and other days no way.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

I have been living on potatoes! My husband makes me potato pancakes with a fried egg for breakfast. KFC mashed potatoes have been a big hit as have fries. Coconut also has been good. Soups were but this last time was not as tasty. Same for peanut butter

• samruns
    samruns Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi there!

@Lauren - the first two days I ate normally but then I just wanted plain things - rice, potatoes and I ate a lot of buttered noodles. I snuck in veggies as I could, but found that preventing diarrhea was easier if I just stuck to starches with no flavor. Things taste WEIRD. Nothing tastes like it should except coconut milk and butter right now. I kept a diary with times I took meds, any SEs, and any food to stay away from. Stock up on immodium and some prune juice in case it goes the other way. My MO and all the nurses warned me repeatedly to stay away from anything raw - no salads, no pre-cut fruit from the supermarket, no sushi - they even told me to wash frozen fruit and veggies (for smoothies - if they're cooked, np). So shopping is very inexpensive now ;)

@Idratherbeboatin I'm in TCHP too and my next treatment is also on 2/27. Fingers crossed that it goes as well as the 1st! I didn't have mouth sores, but man, I really miss tasting anything.

@gonnabeathis - yes! Having friends who can pass the day laughing is the BEST! I had my best friend there for the 1st treatment and I thought we were going to get kicked out we were laughing so hard. It is definitely a long day...hoping the next one is a little shorter!

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

Thanks for the tips!

SamRuns, we thought we were going to be kicked out too! But definately made the day better! My wonderful husband and good friend were by my side all day and helping me out, waiting on me and just being supportive!

• santabarbarian
    Options

Being single w grown kids who live out of town, I had a different old friend come to visit and help me for a few days (~days 2-5) for each chemo. It gave my chemos an aspect of 'something to look forward to' with an old friend there to cook for me and hang out. You want to pick people who can cook and who won't be offended if you disappear to nap. Maternal, comforting people. For one of them, my older son (27) was the person who came to care for me, and he was wonderful-- it was very meaningful and beautiful, to experience him in that caregiving role. I am tearing up to think of it.

I live in a town, not in the sticks, so when on my own, I also used doordash for food delivery from local restaurants when weird cravings hit me. My appetite was low, but then I would get hit by a strong craving-- Beets! I want BEETS! RIGHT NOW!! -- and it felt like if I did not get beets within 30 mins, I would melt down!

When you first sign up with doordash I believe you get all your deliveries for 30 days at one dollar per. So maybe save it for a time when you will need it. You still pay a small fee to the driver, but only a dollar to the company.

• laurencl
    Options

Thank you all for answering ( I don’t know how to include everyone in a reply). I’m getting my port tomorrow and I am just super nervous! You all make it sound like it might be okay, eating normal foods and adjusting. I am still so scared, but you all made it better. Thank you.

Lauren

• Mncteach
    Options

Laurencl- I know that feeling of angst well. Good luck with port!

Today was my first day post round two with no anti nausea meds. Ate pretty normally but did find out chocolate chip cookies are just totally gross now :( Here’s hoping to rest and minimal SE to everyone

• Titsup
    Titsup Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi ladies, may I join you? I started chemo on 2/8 and am gearing up for the second round tomorrow. It's so crazy how life can completely change in less than one month!!! I've enjoyed reading through all of your posts and am looking forward being a part of the group.

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome Titsup! Of course you are more than welcome here! Good luck tomorrow

• laurencl
    Options

Hi titsup!

I just got my port in today and will start next week with the same protocol. How did you first trip go?

Laure

• Notgivingup
    Notgivingup Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good Evening,

I had my first round of carboplatin this afternoon. They gave me a lit of pre meds and also gave me extra hydration because of my kidney level was boarder line.

I hope you all are doing well with little/no se.

• Titsup
    Titsup Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks ladies!

@Laurencl good luck to you next week! My first round went better than expected. I was nervous about using the port as it was sore but it turned out to be pretty painless. All in everything took about 6 hours. Side effects were up and down for about a week and overall manageable. I kept up on the nausea meds. Had some heartburn, bone aches, overall fatigue, and a couple days with bowel issues. I just started to notice my hair shedding today so am trying to mentally prepare myself for that! I've already cut it short, on to the next phase...

• Rozzy
    Rozzy Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hello everyone, I go for my second round of chemo today at 10am. Carboplatin and taxotere. I have take Decatron (steroid) the day prior to chemo and first 5 days after chemo. The first day I have such an energy surge! I run around like a mad woman. Yesterday (Thursday) I made two pots of soup, washed and folded three losds of laundry, cleaned house, Clorox wiped everything in site. And prepped my bag and clothes for chemo. This was a lot for me and I'm up after midnight thinking of something else I can do. 😂

Praying that tomorrow's round goes well, my hair started coming out at day 14 and on day 19 I had it buzzed close to my head. It was freeing for me. I was tired of hair bAllsand strands falling out all over the place. Hope you all have had a great week so far. 💕

• santabarbarian
    Options

Hahaha Rozzy -- want to come clean my house?

I had Carboplatin/Taxotere too... also TNBC... and I also loved that superwoman feeling of chemo day! I told my chemo nurse, "this is my drug of choice!" You (and any other TNs) should join 'Calling all TNs' in the TNBC forum. I had a fabulous response to chemo (pCR) and tolerated it very well. Wishing you the same!

Keep moving everyone!! Counter-intuitively, when you feel awful exercise is a good way to hasten feeling better. And women who exercise have much better stats re recurrence. Evenif you just walk around the block a couple of times, try to move around every day.

• Gonnabeatthis
    Options

Three days out from my first treatment. My biggest SE is a horrible headache! I slept really good the night of my treatment, barely slept the next night but slept well last night. Some nausea but nothing too bad. So far food still tastes okay but not much of an appetite. I have very little energy so I am napping regularly! Chemo brain is real!

• jktampa
    jktampa Member Posts: 6
    Options

Had round 2 of AC yesterday. I had minimal side effects from the first round. Only about 2 days of feeling horrible and sleeping all day. My hair has really started coming out now. Started about day 13-14 of chemo just before my 2nd round. I was also really constipated the first round so I made sure to take miralax today so I can hopefully not have to deal with it again this round.

• Scotties123
    Scotties123 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi all :) I just had my first chemo-AC this morning. Took anti-nausea pills before chemo. Except a bit headache, no other SEs so far. I still have fluid retention in my abdomen caused by my egg retrieval procedure, so I am not the best me now. Port insertion was done yesterday, and again the sedation meds made me sick and vomiting. Hope I won't feel too much nausea/vomiting tonight or tmr, finger crossed.

My best wishes to everyone:)

• ITGal
    ITGal Member Posts: 1
    Options

Been lurking and finally decided to join.  My first round of chemo TCy was today.

• notdefined
    Options

I chopped my hair off today, so next step is shaving it all together.  It was really long and now it's in a short bob.  Also just found out that my ON is transferring out of my network.  I am super bummed, because she was awesome.  I'm nervous on why she is leaving as it sounds like it was not expected, and now the Nurse Navigators are scrambling to put everyone under her under the existing doctors. 

• notdefined
    Options

I really like my new wig (2 pics on the right)!  

• laurencl
    Options

you look fabulous! Bought one myself. Cutting more hair tomorrow getting ready for first treatment. Scared

• notdefined
    Options

Laurencl-I hear you on the first go around.  I haven't had my 2nd yet, but I was so nervous for the 1st one.  Are you taking someone?  I recommend those Italian Ice's during the transfusion.  It worked really good, but I know ice chips are the 2nd best thing.  Sending positive vibes to you and all those getting treatment next week.  Just taking it one-day at a time.

afm-I have had more energy this past week than I have had before diagnosis.  I have been cooking up a storm, literally cooking :).  I have not cooked this many meals for my husband in our 23 years together.  It is really strange. I think it may be related to the immunotherapy?  At least that is what I think it is.  Zorolax? That is the only thing I am still taking.  I have been taking Claritin religiously and do not have body aches. Thankfully.  I will see how I feel once I am no longer taking anything.

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome ITGal. Sorry you have to join us but happy to help!

Love the wigs! I definitely decided I like my bald head (or balding head) better right now, but always good to have so many options! I guess we can consider ourselves lucky to have all these options :)

• notdefined
    Options

I agree Mncteach!  I just bought a pink wig to sport for fun too.  I really am trying to make lemonade out of these lemons, and have some fun.  I have twin skin on my stomach and some major saddle bags, and I am thinking maybe I can get a mommy make-over if I end up getting reconstruction surgery.  I'm completely at the mercy to my body, and I have resigned myself to stop resisting what it can or cannot do.  If I do need surgery, I am going to address as much of what I hate about my body if it is possible.  sorry off topic, but I'm in a strange happy mood today.

Question on taxol which will be weekly after my 4 AC's: Is Taxol taken in Pill Form or only intravenously?   If I am taking AC every other week, would I begin Taxol 2 weeks after my last AC or 1 week after?  I guess these are questions for the Taxol board, but thought I would ask here in case someone knows.

• luluh
    luluh Member Posts: 20
    Options

hi! First Chemo in Monday, 2/18/19. TCHP for 6 rounds every 3 weeks, then Herceptin and Perjeta for the remainder of a year