Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• Ghcpd
    Ghcpd Member Posts: 6
    Options

Sheila77 again I agree with you! I thought I was skating by after round two but was mistaken. I didn’t feel good until today and tomorrow is round 3!! I hate fluphila but it keeps knocking my white count up to 20 so I guess that’s why it hurts so bad.

Chickywicky that is awesome news!!!! Also ( I’m knocking on wood!) the b complex and b12 shots have really helped with neuropathy prevention. I already take gabapentin for neuropathy from nerve damage so that may be helping too. Also I hold a cup of ice water all through chemo .. just to keep my finger tips cold. Also I found that taking my probiotic daily and eating ice during chemo has saved my mouth! I hope I’m not jinxing myself for tomorrow!! Good luck!

My biggest problem now is I’m really anemic. That just makes the fatigue and breathing so much worse. But my iron, ferritin, b12 and folate were all normal. So the only fix will probably be a blood transfusion but hopefully I can skate by two more rounds! I even choked down chicken livers before we found out iron wasn’t the problem! Yuck!

Well good luck everyone ...

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi haven' t written for a while.

Had my first Taxol yesterday and so far so good. Just a long day. SE so far are manageable.

I found that my 3rd and 4th AC treatments after effects worse than 1 and 2 but this too shall pass they say...…

I saw my PS last week for my final fill and had always thought I was going with implants as I have TE in but I guess from the weight I gained I can now think about DEIP instead so I was really torn because the recovery from that is major from what I have been reading here. MY MO who I saw yesterday said I should just go with the implants as recovery is easier and put the DEIP out of my mind.

Has anyone on here been faced with the same decision?

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

solobroker. The first plastic surgeon I saw- but did not ultimately pick, had this advice about implants vs. DEIP. She said that in the short run implant people are happier with the outcome. And that long term DEIP flap people are happier with the outcome. But I still picked implants. After all I have been through, a tough recovery was not for me. Also the DEIP can get fat with you. But the implants are that size forever. I always said my only goal was to never wear a bra again. So I like the small size!

Day one after my double infusion (Cytoxan and Abraxane). But my LAST double and my last Cytoxan. Only 2 more Abraxane to go. So far nausea and fatigue. But what else is new. I was able to walk 10,000 steps yesterday before the premeds wore off so that is good.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope.

I hope you all are well and that your SEs are minimal. Hydrate. Rest. Walk.

Jean

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Well, chemo #3 was postponed today. Blood test came back with extremely elevated liver enzymes, so I was immediately sent for a liver ultrasound. 30 mins later of waiting and panic googling liver mets, my doctor gave me the all clear and that it’s chemo damage. Have to go back for more blood tests in a week. Oh well, at least I have another week of feeling good.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

I’m sorry pokyspider— I’m a little worried that my final one will have to be postponed too since I had slightly elevated liver enzymes last time... glad everything was okay. Cancer sucks but this too shall pass

• pokyspider
    Options

Mncteach, hope your levels stabilize for your last one. I’m only on #3 of 8 so a long way to go yet. Had myself psyched up for it too which was kinda disappointing. I wouldn’t mind but Ialready had an extra week this time as there was a 10-day public holiday here and #3 had been postponed. Not sure what will happen if levels stay elevated next week.

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

Poky. The delay can really play mind games. It was great to have a good week, though. I hope you are able to have it next week. Drink lots of fluid!

Jean

• SparkleGirl2018
    SparkleGirl2018 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hi all, Sounds like we are all moving through the treatment whether we like it or not Loopy I had my final round of AC last Thursday and felt good until Monday and then it did a number on my stomach! I was up all night and now completely dehydrated. Drinking lots of water today. I was excited about finishing AC as I thought that was the "bad" chemo and now I am on to 12x taxol once a week. Reading some of the other boards it does seem like taxol has a lot of side effects as well Sad

Has anyone here started and can give me an idea of what to expect. I start next week. I was hoping it would be a little easier.

Also, what does everyone tell the friends who text and ask how you are doing? I know they don't want to hear all the real details. Close friends know what is going on and I talk to them more often. But less close friends I usually just tell them where I am in treatment and say it is going pretty good. I really want to say, I am exhausted, tired of dealing with cancer, bald and have half a boob right now so I feel like s**t. But I put on a happy face Happy

Thanks for listening. It has been a long weekend. I love that we can come here and be real.

Hugs to all and hope you are having a great day!!

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

sparkle. I just hit the general comments with the casual friend. “Nausea. Fatigue. But it is to be expected. Getting by”. My autocorrect populates nausea after “na”. And now just puts in SEs without me having to put caps. I figure I don’t want to sugar coat it. Chemo sucks and I am being a warrior. So let the world know

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Sparklegirl, I have my 3rd round of Taxol on Friday. So far, AC was much worse. Day 3 after AC was my crash day. I haven't had any new side effects in Taxol. Everyone is different and I know effects can come later since it's cumulative but I feel good. I'm getting in 10K steps a day and not really napping much which is completely different than when I was on AC but I know that can all change tomorrow. I'm just enjoying how I feel now.

Good luck with Taxol. I hope your side effects are non-existent or minimal at worse

• betterdazeahead
    betterdazeahead Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hey ladies! 
    I have a ton to catch up on here with. I hope you all are doing as well as you can be doing.

I have had a very hard time on my AC. The 1st 2 rounds I did 2 weeks apart then for the 3rd I had asked to go 3 weeks out so I could try to attend volleyball out of town for my daughter as it was also my birthday weekend. I was able to go, it was hard but I managed. At my 3rd round the doctor was concerned with how sick I have been feeling so she suggested we take this last one out 3 weeks as well, we also changed up pre-meds, added fluids infusion day and Monday, and changed up home meds as well. I faired much better 3 weeks apart and all the changes. 

LAST AC is tomorrow - and although hopeful I am dreading it too. Then on to Taxol. We discussed dose dense treatment but decided with how sick AC made me that it is better to do my taxol weekly. I am certainly hoping between tomorrow and the taxol I will be ok.

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

Fallschurchgirl ----- that's exactly what PA told me and I feel the same way as far as we've been through a lot and to be back to where I can't get out of bed unassisted and all that that I'm sure goes along with the DIEP v implant,  I am leaning towards implants. 

SO far I am finding the Taxol easier than the AC treatments but who knows, tomorrow is another day.

Hope all is as well as it can be for everybody.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hey Sparklegirl2018!

Had my second Taxol today. My experience is that it is easier then the AC. I did have some fatigue over the weekend, but nothing bad. I have to do 10 more, which just feels like forever and then discuss surgery. It all just feels like such a looooong process and that gets me down

• SparkleGirl2018
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies on Taxol. I start this Thursday.

@Laurencl - It does seem like it is so long when I think about 12 more weeks and then I will have 5 weeks of radiation! I have good days and bad days with the whole thing. My Gyno said this will all be a blip on the radar this time next year. I am sure she is right Medicating Hang in there!

I have the socks with cold packs for my feet and ice packs to hold in my hands. I figure it won't hurt to try it. I am also going to ask about some of the supplements others have mentioned on the weekly taxol board ( B6, B12, ALA and l-glutamine). If it won't hurt to try them I am willing to give it a shot!

Hope everyone had a Happy Mother's Day and weekend!

• SparkleGirl2018
    Options

Hi DawnS - Glad you are feeling good during your Taxol treatment. I am hoping for the same! I saw some of your posts on the weekly taxol board (at least I think that is where it was Happy) . Congratulations to your daughter on graduating! My daughter is in her 3rd of college. I am hoping to start getting in some more exercise now that I am done with the AC. I work during the day (desk job) and usually just crash when I get home, but I know it will be good for me to get some exercise in.

Will be sending positive vibes that your taxol treatment continues to be uneventful!!

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Finally complete all my infusions. Found it increasing harder to bounce back from the SEs as I progressed through treatment. Still taking it one day at a time and resting as needed.

One tip I have, is that the icing of toes and feet during Taxol infusion seems to work for protecting my nails.

Wishing everyone a productive week with minimal SEs 🤗.

• DawnS1962
    Options

SparkleGirl, thank you! I'll take those good vibes and reciprocate back to you. I don't want to jinx myself but so far Taxol has been fairly easy compared to AC. My biggest complaint with AC was unbearable fatigue. I haven't been fatigued on Taxol. I am exhausted today but I'm sure it's because of all the activities this weekend. My daughter's college is close to a 6 hr drive and I can't sleep in the car.

I have pushed myself to walk everyday and though I would rather not today I will. My goal is 10K steps a day and I've reached it for almost a week now. Whether it helps with side effects, I don't know but I know it can't hurt. I'm also taking B6&B12, icing my hands and using a stress ball. After reading so much about neuropathy on these boards I'll try anything to prevent it.

I work from home so I have it easier than many when it comes to fitting in some exercise.

Best to you!

• DawnS1962
    Options

Unbreakable, congratulations on finishing!

• Gratefulgrandma
    Gratefulgrandma Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hello all, just checking in to say I am reading your posts and thinking good thoughts for everyone going thru this. I am having my 4th and final TC infusion May 29th, then off to surgery and radiation. Seems to be never ending, and frankly I am already over it and want to be done. SE are tolerable, just tired of them and want to feel normal again. I miss going out to dinner, traveling to see my grandchildren and I repeat, just feeling normal. I did find out my original 7 cm tumor has shrunk to almost nothing, for which I am very happy about. Guess the more aggressive tumors can respond more dramatically that way. I will stop now, and again wish all of us well, and a swift return to good health, to hopefully never hear a cancer diagnosis again.

• debrac
    debrac Member Posts: 63
    Options

Grateful grandma,

I’m so with you just wanting to feel normal. I just had TC #3 yesterday, one more to go the first week of June. That’s amazing your tumor has shrunk so much. Great news. Hang in there, the worst is behind you.

I’ve had it pretty easy. Fatigue, underlying nausea for the most part. I know Friday thru Sunday will be laying around from bed to recliner. I just need to go with it and stop fighting it so much. I’m pretty much a get up and do do do kinda person. Mostly positive attitude. Getting stuff done today from the steroids still in my system.

I did have a cute visitor at the infusion center yesterday. Enjoyed his visit. Mini golden doodle. Well mini compared to my 80lb Goldens!

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Wow Grateful grandma, that is amazing news🙏🤗

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Solobroker - I had the SGAP flap. I was able to do reconstruction at the same time of my mastectomy. The recovery was hard for the first two weeks, but I started working from home by week 3. I do have to have another surgery to make things even.... That will be 4-6 weeks after chemo.

I am scheduled for my fourth and Final round of TC tomorrow. I am optimistic that my numbers will be good and that I will be able to finish my infusions, This last round (round 3) I developed some serious GERD - the pain was really awful. My doc prescribed Nexium and now that I have been taking that for a week I am not having the pain in my chest.... Never really had heartburn, just pain in my sternum. I am not able to drink much water or anything else. Everything upsets my esophagus.

this weekend, I will just take it easy and rest. I look forward to feeling back to my old self - if that ever happens. I do have to start oral medications after my last TC an of course get my port removed. But I am moving in the direction on healing... For this i am grateful

Unbreakable… - Congrats on finishing this phase.. I know you still have things ahead but your are moving in the right direction.

Hope everyone is hanging in there. This is a hard thing to go through. I feel I am most honest with my husband (he is a good man) and for all others - I usually just tell them the basics - fatigue, nausea , GERD. I just want to keep a positive attitude and be grateful for the good things that happen ( good lab results to finish tomorrow, etc).

Happy Wednesday -

Sheila

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

unbreakable. So happy you have finished. You will be our first to take the pill. So let us know how that goes. I am excited for you to begin your new normal. Also keep us posted on hair growth!

Grateful. That is so awesome about your tumor shrinkage. Mine was removed first. So for me chemo had no positive visual that it was working. It mush really help knowing that the chemo is doing it’s job!

Shelia. Good luck tomorrow. I hope your numbers cooperate!

I am having an ok week. These single dose Abraxane are easier to take. I have one more single dose on Monday. Then I am done as well. Then my shot monthly for a year. And my pill for 7+ years. My implant switch is in August. I wanted to try to have some portion of a summer.

I hope everyone has a great day and that your SEs are minimal.

Jean

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options

Good morning everyone!

Amazing to hear about those getting to the end of this part of our “adventure”... it feels like March was years ago but really in the scheme of things one season of many...I still have 3 more Taxols but at least (first round at least...) was much more tolerable than AC, no nausea, eating normally (except a lot doesn’t feel taste like normal) and able to do much more the first week, working and playing... hope it stays that way!

I too will start shots and pills I assume soon after taxol is done end of June... trying to focus on getting through this part and that part will just be more of a chronic long term new normal... with hair hopefully! So over it and want some growth to just rock short hair!!!! I too am going to schedule my implant exchange for the Fall... I want to enjoy my weekends and take vacation to the beach in August and just not deal with another surgery right away.

Hope everyone is able to finish on track (myself included) and continue to feel well, amazing to get this far and if we can do this we can do anything!!!!!!

On the “bright side” my entire family had lice earlier this week (kids and husband) but not me, ha “silver linings”...

Lizzie

• Adhoney
    Adhoney Member Posts: 65
    Options

unbreakable1: Congratulations on finishing your infusions!! That's wonderful!

GratefulGrandma: excellent news that your tumor has shrank so much! It's good to know that going through chemo is really helping, although that doesn't make the whole process any easier, maybe a little more tolerable though. I couldn't agree more about getting back to normal. I just wanna get through this shitshow & get back to feeling good, have some energy, taste food normally!!!

Sheila77: I hope your numbers cooperated and you're able to get that last infusion today. And ring that bell!!! Thinking of you today.

Well, I've had multiple appointments since I last posted here. I saw the PS last week to talk about reconstruction options. I've decided to go with the DIEP free flap. Looks like surgery will be sometime around the end of July hopefully. The surgery involves 3 surgeons- plastics, ortho hand surgeon assists with the micro vascular parts of surgery & the breast surgeon, so I know getting all of their schedules coordinated will be like herding cats! Also have to get a CT scan of the abdomen first to make sure the vessels involved in the abdominal surgery part are in the appropriate places. Happy to get a tummy tuck in the process of reconstructing my boob too—winning!

Also saw my breast surgeon on Monday & she did an ultrasound of my tumor. It's gone from 2.3 cm down to less than 1 cm...yay! Glad to know that the chemo is doing something, because it's sure tough going through it.

My hardest symptoms are severe fatigue, sore nose—Aquaphor rubbed inside the nose twice a day is a lifesaver! Thank you to whoever shared that tip with me! My taste buds get all screwed up for a while, but unfortunately, that doesn't stop me from eating. Upset stomach—thanks to Herceptin & Perjeta. Ugh.... Did I mention the fatigue? That one is really tough & so hard for me. I'm apainfully independent, move quickly at work, get 'er done kinda person & not being able to do those things just kills me.

I had my 4th out of 6 TCHP treatments yesterday, so today I'm just trying to chill, gonna read more of this cool book I heard about & that's probably it. I'm so glad my kids are still in school so I have the house to myself.

Wishing everyone a peaceful remainder of the week with few SE's. Celebrate the small victories. We got this & I know God is on my side. I put my faith in Him because I sure can't do this alone.

Angie

• pokyspider
    Options

I’m back on track at last. Liver enzymes on Wednesday were just low enough for my doc to cautiously give the go ahead with infusion #3 of 8. Same old vomiting and nausea for the first few days - I’d almost been spoilt after a 5 week break and forgot how much it sucks the life out of me for the first week or so. Fog’s starting to lift though.

Amazing that some of you are almost done with your infusions. Serious congratulations on that! I’m almost at the half way point... just seems like never ending sometimes, but I’m trying not to let it get me down. Making the most of the good days.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Hi friends. I've been working on pulling together advice on avoiding neuropathy from taxane (taxol and taxotere) use. It might be too late for some of you, but for others, this might be helpful.

COLD THERAPY TO PREVENT NEUROPATHY

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/871625?page=1

If you have helpful links or ideas on cold therapy for neuropathy prevention, please add them there in comments. Best wishes for full recovery to all of you!

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

MoutainMia, I hope this article can help those starting the taxanes. I had my first Taxotere infusion on Wednesday. I did the icing of the hands and feet 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after the hour long infusion. On Thursday, I promptly got a really bad neuropathy side effect. My hands and feet had red blotches and the joints were swollen. The pain was unbearable. It felt like 2nd degree burns over my palms. I have been icing since then. My feet cause me to lose balance as it hurts to walk. I also had the muscle and bone pains from the drug. I had to go to the ER on Saturday. They gave me a steroid and gabapentin. I still had the same side effects this morning but the swelling of the hands is better. I still can hardly bend my joints. I told the doctor that I will not do any more taxanes. (I had neuropathy before chemo of unknown etiology). I will take my chances and go to surgery now. I wish everyone else heading to Taxol or Taxotere the very best.

• DawnS1962
    Options

I met with my plastic surgeon today for the first time. It looks like I will have a mestectomy on my right breast, an implant and nipple reconstruction surgery at the time my cancer and surrounding tissue is removed. It may take me down a cup size but that's fine. I had hoped for a lumpectomy but because of the location of the tumor and it's closeness to the skin, it's not an option.

I was pretty upset at first but I'm good with it now. Looks like I won't need radiation so there is a closer end in sight.

I just want to be done.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

Dawn- why you were disappointed that you are having mastectomy. It is not safer that lumpectomy