Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

I started losing a lot of hair beginning day 12 after first round of chemo. By day 16 it was so gross showering and being covered in hair. I had my husband give me a buzz cut. I just had my 3rd round Friday and still am not bald. Seems my hair is fighting the cancer too😁

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options

Boopietrap (nice name btw!!) not sure if it is the same on TC but today was the day for me for hair loss. You will know it when it happens... it’s wild. Just pulling out clumps with gentle fingers through my hair filling up a garbage bin, and then more in the shower. Pubic hair mostly came out first a few days ago...

I am on AC. Had first round March 15 and 2nd round yesterday. I was told around the 2nd treatment and it was true.. told day 16 was the day it all goes and that’s tomorrow. I cut it short last week as a transition and to get prepared for short hair when it grows back. Glad I did it it was cute while it lasted and made me look more forward to that after phase (I have always had it long and just up in ponytails). Also made today less horrifying since at least not super long and coming out... but it’s messy and now it needs to go!

Lizzie

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

evening, ladies. I hope everyone had a good Saturday. We had sun and 75 in our nations capital. It was good to get some sun on my face.

I am day 6. I feel like I finally turned a corner on #2. Bone pain was there. But less. Nausea was worse. And knock wood that the constipation stays away.

GHCpd. I am sorry the bone pain was so rough. I understand and hope it is gone. I take that Claritin and really think it could be worse, but it is amazing how lousy it makes you feel.

Boobietrap (LOVE the name) ah. The hair. During My good week of TC #1. So week 3 I started shedding. I would tug on my hair. It started as 3 hairs. Then 10. Then 50. I got tired of messing with it. And my scalp hurt. So I buzzed it. I am now Day 6 of #2 and I am 85%bald. It is still falling out- the stubble. But I have some pretty big patches. And what is there hurts- especially when I go against the grain. I am rocking the beanie. And scared the neighbor kids today when I was hatless in the yard. To their credit they took it like champs.

LizzieAG. I hope you are keeping the SEs at bay.

Everyone enjoy your Sunday. Before we start again next week.

Jean

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Good Morning -

Ghcpd- you sound like you responded to TC round 1 just like I did. I also have to take the Fulphila shot. I have round 2 -TC tomorrow and have blocked my calendar for days 3-5. I must say, this past week has been good. I did have to shave my head - but I'm doing better than I thought with that issue.

I started on my steroids today so I will be proactive and take melatonin tonight, use lavender and cedarwood essential oils in my diffuser and anything else I can think of before bed tonight. I have stocked up on Kombucha for my stomach issues and will hopefully make a pot of soup today.

Fallschurchgirl - I also think I scared the UPS guy when I had to sign for my Fulphia when it was delivered. I answered the door without anything on my head. I didn't realize it until he said - "I hope you feel better". I am going to try and rock this bald head!! It is what it is! I do have a wig, but it seems like I like my hats and wraps better. I just feel like an alien in my wig!

Have a great Sunday! Get rest when needed!

Sheila

• Gratefulgrandma
    Gratefulgrandma Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi Boobietrap, love you name :-) I had my first TC x 4 chemo last week. So far so good with hair, but expecting it to start coming out in another week or so. I cut it short, brrrr, cold!

My dr is giving me steriod pill for first 3 days, plus the compazine and ativan that helps with nausea. Praying it stays that way. My big prob is drinking water and going to the bathroom, BM are so dry and hard, boohoo. Adding prune juice this weekend, and seems to help. I am praying I can do this in 4 treatments, and get this behind me. I hope for you too!

I tried to put my new wig on yesterday, that is not an easy feat for an older woman. May have to go back and have the wig ladies help me again. Anyone else have wig problems?

Hope all us fighters have a pleasant Sunday today!

Marilyn (aka a very Gratefulgrandma)

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 437
    Options

I'm living on jello. That is how I'm getting 'tollerable' liquid, water is gross. Premade is gross, go make a bunch of the 'real' stuff and make it up. BTW - lots of people who have done this before say compazine is great for nausea. I'm asking for that to add to my arsinol.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

to ladies in 4th and in 50th healthy before this. No smoking no drinking or ocasssions’ly no drugs. Any body has a clue how we ended up here. It does not help it now but what you think ? Too much stress? Not to much exercise ? Unhappy mariage? Emotional stress? Bad luck? Test from God? Any idea

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

I have learned not to question the why. I too was healthy, no family history, and bam! I use all my effort to fight this beast and win

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

santabarbarian I did the mimic fasting for round 3 of AC and I think it helped. I've read many posts stating round 3 being the worst. I have to say it wasn't bad. I was just fatigued and foggy. Slept most of the day. Could have been so much worse than it was.

• sheila77
    Options

Gratefulgrandma - I have a wig, but I don't feel comfortable when I wear it. I will still wear it, but I have now switched to scarves and hats. I was also thinking that I should go back to the wig shop and ask for a tutorial. You can also watch tutorials on you tube.

Margun - I have lived a healthy life style with no health issues other than a low Vit D level. So I don't question why, I just look as this journey as a bump in the road. This too shall pass....

I'm going in for round 2 of TC today. No sleep last night due to steroids but I'll try and sleep during my infusion.

Have a great day!

Sheila

• Gratefulgrandma
    Options

Thanks Sheila77 I was wondering if I was just inept or something at this the wig thing. I will pop into the shop once hair all gone and have the ladies help me out. I would like to wear it, just to feel normal for a bit, but I also don't want to think I am walking around with a bad toupe lol!

Margun: Not sure your question but I had every breast cancer tendency in the book. Stress, no exercise, little over weight, no vitamines, and so on, and I got it. However I don't think think there is rhyme or reason for who does. I personally believe there is something we are eating (food additives) or in the air (electronic waves). But that is just me. And most importantly is we keep good attitude during treatment to get this thing gone, adios, buh bye.

PS Don't get fooled today! wink wink :-)

• margun
    Options

hi Sheila. You have a beautiful smile in the picture. It has been very longtime I did not smile even before the cancer. I had a still trying keep partially my good job a nice kid but very short tempered husband who held at me and the kid whenever all thing did not went to his way or because he was frustrated elsewhere. I am oldfashioned person and also did not Want to disturb my kids life. Bu.t i never this could happen. I am tying to think it is not the verbale abuse inflicted cancer to be in peac With my past dexcision in particulah He is hellping me with appointments and chore . I guess terrified by cancer? Any way right now I am fucusef to go though this and I cannot in my state to go though nervtacking séparation proceedings and who know after a cure hope he will control better his temper, but after after all that years o f telling that he is hurting even unconscious itt is worth it to give more time tto hope for best

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Dawn I am so glad it helped you!

• sheila77
    Options

Margun - Don't let cancer scare you. You need to find a way to find peace in your circumstances. For me, I have a strong faith in God and He helps me keep my positive attitude.

I did not have my TC infusion today. My onco thinks I may have cellulitis in my right breast (had that side reduced). I started antibiotics today and will have my infusion on Thursday. So not much of a delay. I just have to adjust my calendar.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Sheila

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

The wig lady ( lol) was so helpful. I brought a friend and she recorded on phone the woman putting it on my head a couple times and then taped me doing it while I was at shop as well. This helped a lot.  The woman also cut  my hair shorter for me when I went to purchase wig and then I went back when my hair started falling out and she buzzed me and held me like a baby while I cried and let it out! Bawling

Hope this helps!

Had my 3rd AC out of 4 today. Feeling ok. Had Onc put Ativan in drip today and thinking that made a difference.  We will see what tomorrow brings...

Hang in there all...….

• SparkleGirl2018
    SparkleGirl2018 Member Posts: 39
    Options

It has been a few days since I posted. I had my first AC chemo on March 21 and days 3-5 were definitely the hardest days for me. Mostly just nausea and tired. But I know I did not hydrate enough and plan to do much better with that this next round. After about day 7 I was feeling really good and pretty much back to normal. I am still working my desk job which has not been bad.

SoloBroker - It sounds like you have a great "wig lady"!! Today is day 12 post chemo and my hair is starting to come out A LOT! I am supposed to get my wig today or tomorrow but they have not called me back! I am ready to shave it off and not worry about it anymore. I sprayed a ton of hairspray on it this morning so I would not shed so much at work Loopy

Dreading the second round this Thursday but know that it is what is going to help me in the long run! And once over I will be halfway done with the AC part.

I hope everyone has a great day with minimal SEs!

• Chickywicky
    Chickywicky Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi everyone!

I had my second infusion today - Taxol only this time. My side effects from the first infusion were primarily terrible stomach cramps and body aches the night of the infusion and the following day. By Thursday, only my fingers and hands ached. My stomach is touchier than usual, but no big issues. I was able to hang out with family and friends Friday- Monday.

It will be interesting to see which side effects I get this time! I guess my hair should start thinning or falling out soon. I have crazy, thick, curly, shoulder length hair. I'm thinking of getting a pixie cut this week to ease into baldness, but I look like a poodle with short hair😀

All the best to everyone wherever you are on your journey!

Chickywicky (aka kaari)

• LizzieAG
    Options

hi everyone, just checking in with an update. Happy to say that somehow round 2 of AC has left with with none of the terrible side effects from the first round! I am on day 6 now and have had zero nausea, eating normally and feeling well. I keep waiting to feel sick... but so far so good. I cleared the week and organized someone to come be here with me to help and it’s been completely unnecessary since I am fine! Great of course but also since my first 2 rounds were so different I don’t know what to expect going forward...hoping it stays this way. One difference is this time I was given a patch for nausea to put on day 3 and keep it on for the week, instead of taking pills. Seems to be doing the trick... I’m also eating and drinking properly which I could not do last time so my stomach is not acting up. I had had my port surgery the day before chemo the first time so thinking maybe I was also a bit off from that... anyways will see but wishing the rest of you also minimal SE!!!!
  • Gratefulgrandma
    Options

So good to read your post LizzieAG ! Chemo is crazy, never know how it's going to hit you, but thank God your having a good week! My SE's are not bad, think the one bothers me the most are my cold feet. Socks and heating pad help, so I am happy w that. I finally get my shots this week to make the white blood cells, (my dr. office doesn't use the neulasta thing) so I can feel better going out.

Which makes me ask please, does anyone go out in public with the masks? Or do you go bare? We are having a nasty URI going around Cali and I am afraid to go anywhere until the shots, and even then thinking masking up. Everyone looks at me funny the one time I did go into store w mask, boo hoo. Thanks!

Keep faith and we will get well !

• Mncteach
    Options

I wear my mask in public places because who knows what is lurking out there. Yes, I do get looks, but of course with my bald head I’m pretty sure they know what’s going on. I have fun masks because I work with kids and wanted something fun around them and it’s usually the kids who stare the most and I’m ok with that. I am more lax about wearing my mask at school unless I know one of my germ factories (aka kids) is not well. At home and around friends I don’t wear it and my friends are really good about not visiting if feeling ill. I have one woman in my support group that does the mask and gloves.

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

I guess I’m lucky living in Japan as it’s very common for people to wear a mask during hay fever season and just of of common courtesy when you have a cold. Nobody bats an eyelid! My hospital told me to wear a mask any time I go out in public, and to wash my hands with soap and warm water a number of times throughout the day. Apparently antibacwipes are not as effective.

• LizzieAG
    Options

morning everyone! Dropped my kids at school today since I was feeling good and my husband had to be someone really early... my first outing with a wig on (been just wearing bandeau scarves around house and close by) feels very weird and I am sure that everyone can tell, but I need to just get used to it because I plan to start working next week if I still feel well and will wear it there!

I have not been wearing masks out but I plan to avoid subways and schools and crowds on days 7-10 when I was told to, otherwise my dr said mask not needed but to just take precautions and wash hands a lot. I live with 2 kids in elementary school so some germs are around, making them bathe ASAP when get home but mostly just hoping my wbcs stay high from the neulasta!
  • Adhoney
    Adhoney Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi all,

I just joined this website. I started chemo on March 13 and had my 2nd one yesterday. I do 6 rounds of TCHP, then a full year of just the HP. plan for surgery 2-3 weeks after TCHP is done, which will probably be a mastectomy, then radiation. I have no idea about how many radiation treatments, i’m just trying to tackle the chemo for now.

I’m also very glad to find this forum where we can share our experiences with each other, which I find very helpful. Good luck to y’all

• Mncteach
    Options

Welcome Adhoney. So sorry you have to join us, but you have found a good resource for advice and information. Please ask us questions if we can help!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,048
    Options

Welcome Adhoney! We're so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're all really glad you've found us!

We're sure you'll find this space a helpful, supportive, and informative resource while you navigate treatment. Please come back often, engage fully, ask lots of questions, and share your experiences. We're all here for you!

Sending you and everyone here good wishes for a smooth chemo regimen!

--The Mods

• Gratefulgrandma
    Options

OK so these shots to boost white blood cell counts are busting my butt. Chemo last week was OK, minor things, but the shots are bringing me down Lots of bone pain, and even spasms. Only getting by with the Zyrtec and tylenol. I never would have thought the shots would be worse than the drip drip drip of chemo!

My daughter comes next week, I am going to play with my wig. I like my wig, just want to make sure it looks ok.

Here's to everyone feeling ok, and perhaps even better than ok!

• margun
    Options

the Ac is too hurst on me . Nurse told me that you may be fatigued a few days. I can sit and properly eat without wanting lying down for the 1st 7/8 daysI have no appetite and I am forcing myself to eat but not much. I have cough on off and only thing nurs says she does not know and I must go emergency if feavor which t do not. She says a lot of people work with Ac? So this is just my body?

After this is 12 taxol. Nurse says it is easier but I am taking all with grain of salt. The ladies who had both what I must expect with taxol anf it is easier

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

hey, all. Having a rough couple of days. Allergic reaction to something sent me to the ER on Wednesday. Fine yesterday. And today is terrible. Face swollen. Hives in the back of my neck and scalp. I ITCH so badly.

MO thinks I am the 1% and allergic to Neulasta. Of course I am.

So 6 SIX days of steroids. So much for sleeping. AND I was going on a cruise (MO approved) on Sunday. But not now. AND now after chemo I get to give myself those shots at home. Because- Neulasta.

Have I mentioned how much cancer sucks?

Jean

• Mncteach
    Options

I agree— Cancer Sucks!!!

Sorry you are missing out.... I did fine with Neulasta but apparently the easy Taxol memo didn’t get to my body... hopefully it gets easier... I keep telling myself I am so close to seeing the finish line of chemo, but it’s hard

• Adhoney
    Adhoney Member Posts: 65
    Options

Can’t sleep. Hot flashes & steroids aren’t a good mix. The Herceptin & Perjeta block estrogen & progesterone so it’s extra intense for a few days post- chemo. Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer I had already gone through early menopause at age 41 & FINALLY had control over the hot flashes with an estrogen patch & topical progesterone/testosterone cream. Now at age 46, I’m back trying to manage menopause symptoms & get some sleep.

My GYN started me on Lexapro 10mg, which may be helping some, but I think it’s time to try 20mg.

Yes, Cancer Sucks!!