Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Day 18 of my first FEC chemo and my hair has finally decided to jump ship. I've had a very sore scalp especially around the crown for more than a week which felt like tingling sunburn, so knew it was coming soon. Funnily enough, nothing was coming out when I washed my hair this morning but after getting back from walking the dog this afternoon it's suddenly really painful and apparently decided it's had enough! Glad I got my hair cut short a couple of weeks ago! Better get the hair net ready for bed tonight!

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

Happy Saturday, ladies.

I had a conversation with the PA for my MO last night and she cleared up some things for me.

The MO thinks I am allergic to Taxatare. She indicated she has seen this late onset reaction- I am 10 days post TC#2. The pharmacist thinks it is the Neulasta. So they are changing both.

I still skip this week, then go in the 15th for C and a new drug. Abraxane- maybe. No Neulasta. Then the FOLLOWING 2 Mondays I go in for just the Abraxane. So I have 2 more C (with 3 week breaks) and 6 A. Every week. They will be doing blood every week, so if my counts are bad, they will send me home with the shots. Bla.

I have to figure out the SEs for the new chemo. And do I now fast before them? Cold therapy hands and feet? I also have to change my surgery date for the implants.

Swelling is better. Hives are almost gone. But the ITCH. Still there.

I hope everyone is enjoying the day with minimal SEs. We have had some people starting last week. Please let us know how you are doing. And we have a couple starting this week. Best of luck! And take your Claritin.

Jean

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Fallschurchgirl, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have no doubt that you and your medical team will figure it out and kick this cancer in the you know what. Hang in there and know that you are in my prayers.

Wishing everyone great weekend with minimal SEs, lots of smiles and wonderful memories🤗

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Fallschurchgirl I send you a swimming pool of hydrocortisone. Sounds awful!

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

Has anyone had any problems with low blood pressure? I've had over 24 hours of BP ranging from 80s/50s to 90s/60s. I normally have high blood pressure that ranges near 140/86 so this is low. I am very fatigued and weak but still able to drink plenty of fluids. I didn't take my BP medicine this morning but it hasn't risen much. I had R2 for AC on Wednesday. I don't know if this is normal or I'm got too much of the pre-meds or it's the Fulphila shot reaction. I had a little nausea last night but didn't want to take the nausea meds as they could also lower blood pressure.

I'm sure this will pass but it's taking so long.

Chemo sucks!

• Adhoney
    Adhoney Member Posts: 65
    Options

Fallschurchgirl, so sorry to hear about your reaction & having to start a new drug.

I’m 3 days post round 2. Fatigue is my biggest problem and also waking up all throughout the night. I’m hopeful that I’ll start sleeping better soon, at least after round 1 the sleepless nights improved in a few days.

I hope everyone is getting along alright this weekend. I’ve had my 16 year old driving me around some today, gives me a break and I’m just so tired.

Prayers for everyone to kick cancer in the butt. We can do this

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

this is my 9th day if my Ac but I am very fatigued I have no appetite and it took more an hr to eat some moderate meal and go lying down. Normally by day 8 I can at least to rate without getting crucifyed.is this happened to others? I have other acs and then taxol. Is taxol easier based to your experience

• SparkleGirl2018
    SparkleGirl2018 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Margun - I am at day 5 (tx was Thursday) after my second round of AC and feel better this time then I did the first time. I believe it is from drinking A TON of water before and during treatment. I also forced myself to eat and drink after. I made myself get out of bed Saturday and Sunday and get dressed even if it was just to sit on the couch. I am at work today but did not come in until 11 and will leave at 5. Treatment affects everyone differently and you have to listen to your body and do the best you can. One of us may be able to work throughout the entire process and someone else may have to take a leave. Hang in there!! I have heard Taxol side effects are easier to deal with (fingers crossed).

Kanboka - I have not had any problem with low blood pressure.

I am sleeping well at night but I take a Phenergan before bed for nausea and that knocks me out.

I am halfway done with AC now and trying to stay positive! But there are times I sure would like to curl up and stay in bed all day and feel sorry for myself!!

I hope everyone has a good week!!

• kamboka
    Options

SparkleGirl2018 --so glad to hear that your second round is going better than the first. It was the opposite for me. I think I have a plan for the next round for the BP but, of course, there could be something else that pops up. Now that my BP has stabilized I can take other medications and maybe get some sleep.

Margun -- sorry you are still feeling bad. I have the opposite reaction with my appetite. Seems like nothing can stop my wanting to eat. Since this is your second week, you might be getting anemic. Try to eat foods rich in iron--meats and green leafy. That might help. Not sure your arrangement with your doctor but they might check your blood to see and then they can give supplements, if that is the problem.

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I wrote a long post in the Feb group believing it was the March group last night after my first day back at work - so I guess I was more tired than I thought lol!! I am in both groups since helpful tips from those at different phases of chemo. Hope all are on the mend and gearing up for another round. I’m back to work again today, finding a good distraction!!

Lizzie
  • ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

Yesterday was AC #3 day 3 and my mom did not feel well and fainted but she didn't eat that morning so i think that was part of it. She hasn’t felt any SEs for the first 2 ACs so this was a scare when she felt very crummy :(

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    Options

UFCknights— hope your mom is better. It’s scary.

I just finished Taxol #2, no steroid SE and slept through most of the infusion. They added an extra premed anti nausea med so hopefully none of that either

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Fallschurchgirl - hope your are doing well and things are working out with all your changes and reactions.... Please let us know how you are doing.

I had Round 2 of TC last Thursday and it seemed to go better than last time. No complaints here!!! The bone pain was not as severe this time. I did have more abdominal cramping. I rested the weekend and made it to work on Tuesday! I have only been working 4-5 hours per day so it is manageable. I really work with a great group of women!! -

Yesterday all the women put on these "bald" caps and/or put on a head scarf to support me in my baldness!! It was really cute. Of course it was the day that I wore my wig! I am really blessed to work with such a great group. They have been very flexible since I began this journey.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Get your rest!! Take care of your self!! And do something fun!

Sheila

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

Thanks. Shelia. I am doing better with my reaction. I itches and had hives for 5+ days. But it seems better now. It is a shocking sign as to how long the chemo stays in your system. I am 19 days past TC and I still have some light itching and small hives.

The bummer is my new plan. I have to intermittent fast 2 days of every 7. For 6 weeks. And I have to ice my hands and feet every Monday for 6 weeks. And no more “good week” if I am lucky I may feel good during each weekend

I have taken the week to try to wrap my head around it, but to be honest, I am the lowest I have been since diagnosis. BUT. Come Monday I will pull up my big girl panties and get on with it.

It sounds like you work with a great group of women. I am glad you weathered round two better I did too as far as the SEs went

UcF. How is your Mom doing now? I am happy that she has gone through this with so few SEs. But am sorry she fainted. I hope it was just the lack of food.

MNC. How are you doing with your SEs?

We haven’t heard from many warriors lately - I am talking about you, Sophie, pokey. Anne. SantaB, unbreakable. . Can every one please check in and let us know how you are doing.

It is finally spring in DC. I hope everyone can get out and enjoy a nice weekend.

Jean

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Hey Fallschurch.... I am sorry the chemo is rough on you. Sending a benadryl hug. I hope the fasting helps you!

I am finally out of the treatment woods. My post rads healing has happened, my skin feels great, and I am feeling rather good! You guys will get here too. Wishing you all restful naps and good appetites. xxx

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Today is my final AC infusion. I'll be happy to say goodbye to the red devil. After my first infusion I had flu like symptoms, aches and pains and chills. They were gone by day 4. Day 3 was the hardest.

Second round I had a reaction to the steroids. They made me over anxious to the point of paranoia but after day 1 it was gone and I was just fatigued.

Round 3 scared me because I've read it can be awful. I tried mimic fasting and drank a ton of water. I was fine day 1&2 and just extremely fatigued day 3-7.

I haven't had many side effects. Of course I lost my hair and also my nasal hairs which makes a runny nose much worse. I've lost my taste and my appetite. I haven't had mouth sores or issues with my nails. My biggest issue has been constipation and an anal fissure. MO has stopped one of my anti nausea meds hoping that will help.

I'm looking forward to starting Taxol and H&P.

Good luck and God bless you all going through this

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Fallschurchgirl,

So sorry you are having a hard time. It is true, the lows are super low and can hit us at the weirdest times. I had someone drop off flowers yesterday (which made me sad). Flowers are lovely, right? Someone was thinking of me, also lovely? They made me feel like a sick person, which I don’t want to be! Let’s all get through this as fast as we can!

Lauren

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Congratulations Santababarian, so happy for you. Best wishes for your continued good health. Please keep checking in with us.

Fallchurchgirl, I hope your troubles settles down soon and your new regimen is the right one for you.

I am currently in the chemo chair...TC #3.

Wishing everyone smiles and and a great weekend.

• margun
    Options

hi ladies.

I started dry cough on and off and sometimes constant starting of my 2nd Ac. I am at the end of the second week of Ac and my cough is still on. The 1st week I do not remember coughing but I was so bad and covered under Blanchet so who knows. Last time my doctor heard my lungs and said they sound clear but I did not have any explanation why I am coughing. Before chimo i did ct and bone scan ( no mri I do not know why) and they came cleare. So my question is any of you had quite periodic cough with Ac

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

margun. Check back in December and October. I think there were ladies there who had coughs during treatment. Maybe they can shed some light.

And thanks everyone for the kind comments. I am just whining this week. I will get a better attitude soon.

• margun
    Options

I have feaver and I am in emergency room. I had Ac scheduled on 19. I think is all over. I am scared to postpone Ac with my her2positive grade 3. Anyone had this experience

• Mncteach
    Options

Margun— I had a cough all through AC. Always a dry cough with no fever.

Second round of Taxol is better... red sunburned look today but not as bad as last time. They did give me an extra long lasting anti nausea med in my premed and just took my first zofran tonight (yesterday was chemo day and usually need Zofran that night). I think I have more energy this time, but still wiped out easily.

Falls church- sorry about the yucky SE. I have had chronic hives so I feel your pain!

Hope everyone has a wonderful, SE free weekend

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

margun. You have 7 days to get over what ever it is. Hopefully you will stay on course.

MNC. Hope you have a good weekend. Drink lots of water

• pokyspider
    Options

Hi all! Had my second round of FEC on Wednesday and pretty much followed the same route of severe vomiting for the first 24 hours. Not so bad for the following couple of days with some new anti-nausea medicine. Went back in for my neulasta shot on Friday and have been taking it easy. Doc gave me some pain killers for the back pain this time around too.

Hair is really really annoying me. Chemo nurse recommended not to buzz or shave it as my scalp is extremely sensitive and she doesn't want it to dry out any more. Very painful and red around the crown of my head where I still have some hair. Most of my hair is gone around the sides and back, I guess from friction when I'm sleeping. Just really want it gone now.

I'm usually on a 3 week cycle but we have a 10 day public holiday coming up so will have 4 weeks this time just to be safe in case of any emergencies. At least I'll get 2 good weeks while my son and husband are off school and work.

Sorry to hear about the SE suffering that some of you are going through. I'm really trying to get up and go for a walk even when I feel like crap. Enjoying the cherry blossom here at the moment. Really helps motivate a walk in the park!

• pokyspider
    Options

Anyone else struggling with crazy taste buds. Water has been horrendous since day one and if I add a little flavor I can get it down, but since my second round of chemo pretty much everything tastes like roadkill. 😫 So far I find very bland food like porridge, scrambled eggs and toast, bananas and apple, and sweet things seem ok too. Any kind of meat literally tastes rancid. I can however vouch for haagen dazs ice cream! 😉

What works for you

• Mncteach
    Options

I’m glad you can get water down, I haven’t since about day 3.... I have tried about every kind of water out there! As for tastes, they change all the time. I was doing potatoes, either mashed, French fries, or shredded and that worked well for a while. Sweet stuff was good but even that I have to be careful of the combo. I am now doing some meat again, that changed when I started taxol. Good luck finding something yummy

• Rouse
    Rouse Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello ladies, my name is Rosali. Yesterday I had my third round of AC and from the beginning I noticed that two days after the infusion it was hard for me to breathe and there were beeps. Yesterday I commented to my MO and said it is bronchospasm. Did someone else have the same thing? sorry for my bad English ... I hope you understand me. Greetings and strength from Mallorca

• margun
    Options

mnctech- you mean taxol was worst on appetite than Ac?

The reason of my fever or continuous cough was not found. But if by tomorrow while I still on antibiotics I have no fever they are going forward with Ac. I am scared but there is no other choice really.

• Mncteach
    Options

no, taxol was better, have more things to eat, just don’t have a big appetite!

• kamboka
    Options

In regards to taste buds. I had to get rid of two boxes of nutrigrain bars recently. I only ate two but both times during my infusions. For some strange reason, the thoughts of eating them made me nauseous. Even looking at the boxes made me nauseous. I ended up taking them to work for colleagues. The same problem with ginger candy. I needed something for dry mouth and tried to suck on the ginger but got nauseous. I ended up giving those away too. I find myself craving spicy foods--which I know I do not need. So far, I'm able to get the 8 glasses of water down. There is a slight change of taste between my filtered water and the tap. Sometimes I just mix them to make it better.

I have had some nephropathy before I even stared the AC. Talked to doctor about switching from Taxol to Taxotere. Has anyone been on that or know anyone who has? I have 10 days to decide.