Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting March 2019

Options

Comments

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

pokyspider - I also have trouble with water for the first week after my infusion. I have been able to drink coconut water and LaCroix. Hope you find something that you can drink.

I usually eat toasted french bread with butter and I have smoothies that I make at home with fruit and greek yogurt. For me, I only struggle for the first week, then I can start eating again for about 12 days and then I get my infusion.

Hope everyone finds something they can eat, but the taste buds have definitely changed.

Jean - How are you? Did they find a combo . that works for you? How are the SE's with the new medication?

Hope everyone is having a good week and enjoying time with family. Rest when you can! Remember we can not do everything right now - But this too shall pass....

Hugs to all - Sheila

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Dysgeusia sucks. Keep thinking about possible yummy food, making it and then getting completely depressed because it tastes so awful. At least I have a constantly ravenous teenager in the house to polish off the collection of abandoned meals in various tupperware that is filling my refrigerator!

Apparently your taste buds regenerate about every 10 days or so, which matches up with mine doing a swan dive. I wish I couldn't actually taste anything other than this horrid alteration.

Now, I'm not exactly wasting away here and could certainly do with losing some weight, but it's just so depressing. Just when I'm approaching my good week I don't feel I can even go out and enjoy a meal. Gah!

Rant over

• SparkleGirl2018
    SparkleGirl2018 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Kamboka- I had the same issue with things I had during my first chemo including ginger candy. The thought of it makes me nauseous! Even looking at my chemo bag can make me nauseous 🤢. I have been using Biotine mouthwash and ACT lozenges for dry mouth.

Any type of dry food like cookies and bars are like cardboard to me! Smoothies and salty things have been my go to. And for some reason a good seasoned steak has been so good! I also like fizzy water over plain water. When I drink plain water I add cranberry juice to it. It seems to help. Staying hydrated is key!!

Pokeyspider- my head felt so much better once I shaved it. The wig and even the hats were irritating when I had hair and stubble left.

Hope everyone has a beautiful Easter weekend!!

• pokyspider
    Options

Hi SparkleGirl2018, I shaved the front of my head and it's fine now (looks hilarious)but I can't go near the back as it's really sore. I have a very red rash on the base of my scull so I'm afraid to shave it. Aloe gel is soothing but doesn't seem to get any better. I'm also using scalp shampoo that my hospital gave me which is mild and moisturizing. If it's no better for my next chemo on May 8th I'll talk to the nurses about it again.

• SparkleGirl2018
    Options

Poky that does look painful! I hope they can give you something to help! We have enough side effects to have to worry about extra ones! Hope it feels better soon!

• Fallschurchgirl
    Fallschurchgirl Member Posts: 62
    Options

morning all. Happy Easter. My Mother-in-law is bringing dinner tonight- since I can’t eat tomorrow. Cancer does make you grateful for all the support you get.

My new plan started last Monday. In some ways it is easier. NO bone pain. 😎. That has helped a lot. Nausea is still there and pretty heavy. What I struggle with is trying to have a few days off the pills. I tried to get through Friday without anti nausea pills, but that just made me feel “off”. So I will try again today.

I think this new plan is like the Taxol part of the ladies doing AC+T. Every Monday. I keep telling myself- only 5 more. I just hope I can keep my white count up so I don’t have to delay

The Allergist I saw on Monday finally cracked the hives. I had them for 2 weeks straight. I am finally hive free. And no worries about spring pollen. I am on so many antihistamines that pollen can’t touch me.

I hear you all about the taste thing. I will definitely have some new Hates after this is all over. My first time ginger was awesome. Not anymore.

Poky. I still have hair. It is short, but much like your volume. My husband calls me “fuzzy”. I am not sure I will lose any more on the Abraxane. I was walking yesterday and got hot so actually walked down my street bald. Good thing it is spring break and most people are out of town. Or I might have scared some children.

Good luck everyone in the chair on Monday. I hope everyone’s SEs are minimal.

Jean

• ucfknights
    ucfknights Member Posts: 91
    Options

hi ladies. I’m with wondering for those that finished AC— how long was the break before starting taxol?

Hope all is well :)

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

ucfknights I start Taxol Friday. That will be 2 weeks since I finished AC. I will have 12 weekly treatments. Don't know if that's the norm but that's my regimen

• Solobroker
    Solobroker Member Posts: 13
    Options

My break is three weeks between AC and Taxol. Having Four treatments every three weeks. My MO said maybe every two weeks between but have to see how it goes.

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

my break between AC and T is two weeks.

Lauren

• Ghcpd
    Ghcpd Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hey all! Round 2 sucked also, but nowhere near round 1. This time I took claritin in the am and Zyrtec in the pm. Still had awful bone pain but at least it fell into the closet to tolerable scale. I can only stand plain water or grape sonic slushes???? Weird! Food is disgusting. But I did find something that had helped me some.. outshine frozen fruit bars and yogurt bars. They are from real fruit and don’t appear to be terrible for you. I really don’t care as long as I get the hydration as a few calories! And I can stand Texas Roadhouse rolls.. just couldn’t eat the rest of the meal! Thankfully only two rounds to go! I may die of the fatigue before then though. Maybe if I had seen the dr in October when I first started being fatigued, it might not be so bad. But that dang 7.2 cm tumor came from nowhere during the busiest time of the year For pharmacists and i got too run down. Good luck all

• Adhoney
    Adhoney Member Posts: 65
    Options

kamboka: I’m taking Taxotere, along with carbo, Herceptin & Perjeta. I go in for round 3 this coming Wednesday.

Pokyspider: that rash looks painful, I hope it eases soon.

As far as water, I normally love water but with chemo it just tastes stale & weird. I’ve added crystal light single serving pouches to a glass just to get it down. Taste buds in general are way off, stuff just doesn’t taste good.

I hope everyone has few side effects this Easter weekend

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

Adhoney: Originally, I was planning on Taxol but have neuropathy already. I thought Taxotere might have fewer side effects. How has it been for you? Do you ice your hands and feet? Doing Taxotere will add more time to this already long chemo months but if there are less side effects, I'll do it.

I'm also noticing that water is tasting bland and I'm not rushing to drink. I still seem to get my 6-8 glasses in but it's nauseating to get it down. I've also found that some carbonation helps. I have been mixing my water with juice with Fresca with lemon/lime juice and crystal light. That is helping to get some fluids that's not just water.

Happy Easter to everyone.

• pokyspider
    Options

Woke up at 3am with that high pitched sound of a mosquito buzzing around my head. Spent 20 mins trying to find it and gave up. It had already chowed down my affected arm and it feels quite stiff now. Lots of lymph massaging today.

Also woke up yesterday with what looks like a stye in my eye, or possibly an infected eyelash follicle - wouldn't be surprised since my head is covered in them.

Soooo looking my best. 😅

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

The mosquito drank some chemo blood... he won't know what hit him!

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

Lol. I just thought of Poky murdering that mosquito with her poison. Gotcha, sucker!Thanks for the laugh Santabarbarian!

• pokyspider
    Options

I did think of that actually. At least I got revenge! Lol. Hope if doesn’t turn into mega mosquito. 😅

• Adhoney
    Options

Kamboka: so far I’m tolerating Taxotere fairly well. I’m not icing my hands or feet because I’m doing cold cap therapy on my scalp and I get so cold, I don’t think I could handle cold hands & feet too. I haven’t noticed any neuropathy symptoms, but for good measure I heard that vitamin b6 50mg twice a day & vitamin b12 500 mcg a day would decrease the risk of the neuropathy.....we’ll see.

My biggest side effects from all these meds is severe fatigue, lots of hot flashes (I was postmenopausal before & LOVED my hormones, but had to stop them), insomnia, taste changes (from carboplatin), constipation for about a week then diarrhea for about 7-10 days.

I’ll try mixing juice in my water, that sounds really good.

Best wishes to you Kamboka, keep us posted on what you decide about taxol vs Taxotere

• Fallschurchgirl
    Options

Hey, ladies. I hope everyone is doing well. It has been mighty quiet here, so I hope that means that everyone has their heads down, getting their infusions done.

I was supposed to have my “single” dose of Abraxane on Monday, but my white blood count was .3. They said they would have proceeded if it was 1. But this is pretty low. My MIL has ordered me to keep away from humans. And wear a mask it I talk to anyone. I really don’t need to get sick right now. Bummer is there is nothing to do to raise it - because I can’t take Neulasta. So I am praying that on Monday I can have my “double”. Cytoxan and Abraxane. The thing that has freaked me out is we are just going to skip that dose of Abraxane. And that it won’t matter. That freaks me out a little. If I needed 6 single Abraxane, I should get 6. If5 is enough, then why don’t people just get 5????

My sister gets here on Friday for a few weeks to take care of me. I keep warning her that I am pretty boring and am avoiding crowds quite a bit. She swears she is chill about it.

Everyone check in and let us know how it is going. I think we have some who are having their last chemo coming up this week. Unbreakable- yours should be this Friday, right? Ring that bell!!!

Jean

• SparkleGirl2018
    Options

Happy May Day everyone!

FallsChurch / Jean - It has been very quiet! Skipping a dose would freak me out too. I agree, if 5 is okay then why do 6? At my last appointment my oncologist asked how I was doing and if she needed to lower my chemo dose! (I am doing the AC). If a lower dose is okay then why do the higher dose? I was shocked and just asked if she thought it should be lowered and she said no. It was very strange.

I have my final AC chemo tomorrow! I will be glad to be done but dreading days 4-6 which is when I feel the worst. I feel so good the days before treatment. I have AC every other week. Then on to Taxol once a week for 12 weeks.

Hope everyone is doing well!! Heart

Debbie

• LizzieAG
    LizzieAG Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Glad to hear updates, seems we are all dealing with similar things. I finished my AC on Friday and am finally coming out of feeling horrible. I found this round somehow emotionally the hardest - when people say “yay half done!” It really does not feel manageable, like so far from both the start and the end and the thought of 4 more times seems like way too much. I am moving on to 4 times of taxol in a few weeks.... after round 2 I also had a situation where they suggested lowering the dose since my levels were off. Ended up not needing to since they came back to normal after fluids but it was explained to me that it’s not an exact science and the doses are often played with to work for each person (not sure how reassuring that was but for whatever it’s worth!) hope everyone can enjoy the good days and see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
  • Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hello ladies, it is great to hear everyone's updates. Seems that we are well on our way to putting this behind us. I am so proud of you all.

My last treatment is scheduled for Friday. Fingers crossed that it will go as planned because since the last treatment the side effects have been ongoing... flu like symptoms, stomach issues, taste buds out of wack, body aches, puffy eyes, fatigue, hot flashes, etc.

Keep your heads up. This too shall pass. For those of us that is coming out of the winter season, take some time to enjoy the warmer weather😀

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

I finished my last dose of AC today. Yeh! The 3rd round was very hard with cumulative fatigue from anemia, BP problems and mouth sores. The doc is bringing me back in five days to get some fluids since my intake has been lowered iwth the mouth pain. I start Taxotere in two weeks and am actually more scared of it than AC. I already have some neuropathy before treatment and do not want long-term neuropathy. I plan to ice during treatmetn but might have to make the tough decision to discontinue if it gets worse.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Bravo to all of you!! Stay the course!! Rest *and* exercise!

• Chickywicky
    Chickywicky Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a while, but I just finished my Taxol #6 so I'm halfway through! I'm doing chemo prior to surgery so my surgeon and oncologist decided to do imaging yesterday to see how the tumor is responding. The radiologist could no longer find it! So in a way, it makes all of this worthwhile.

I'm starting to have issues with slight neuropathy in my fingers, and I'm going to bring this up to my oncologist when I see her on Tuesday.

Best wishes for everyone!

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 28
    Options

Great news Chickywicky, so happy for you 🤗

• DawnS1962
    DawnS1962 Member Posts: 198
    Options

Chickywicky, congrats! That's great news. I have my 2nd Taxol today. I had an ultrasound when I finished AC and my tumor has shrunk 50%. I'm triple positive so I get HP every 3 weeks and the Dr is hoping that will shrink it more. Just knowing the chemo is getting results makes this whole awful process worthwhile

• santabarbarian
    Options

Chickywicky that is wonderful news!!!!

• Adhoney
    Options

That is great news chickywicky!

It’s good to hear that the chemo is shrinking all those lumps so significantly! I have an appointment with my Breast surgeon in a week, I’m hoping she’ll do an ultrasound to check out my lump. Im also doing neoadjuvant chemo & i can tell that it’s smaller & softer after 3rounds of TCHP.

I go see the plastic surgeon on Thursday to discuss reconstruction. This is such unfamiliar territory.....I work in healthcare but this world is foreign! I’m taking a coworker that had breast cancer & reconstruction herself with me so I’ll know what questions to ask.

Side effects from last weeks chemo are still hanging around: funky taste buds, diarrhea, sore nose—but not raw & scabby thanks to Aquaphor! Fatigue is getting a little better each day, thank you Jesus. Hoping next week is a lot better.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend with as few side effects as possible.

~Angi

• sheila77
    sheila77 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hi all,

I have been having a harder time bouncing back since my last infusion. I guess this stuff just builds up. But I am on the up swing.

Jean - sorry you are hitting so many bumps on your journey. I know you can not take the Neulasta, but i am taking Fulphila - its bio similar. I guess you can't take that either?? I guess I should be thankful for that injection - I have been blaming on my side effects on that injection, but I need to be thankful since my wbc has been good.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday - and you are able to taste the tacos for Cinco de Mayo!!!

xoxo

sheila